[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be at university >connect to campus network >"sorry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: common-sense-2010.png (568 KB, 867x1054) Image search: [Google]
common-sense-2010.png
568 KB, 867x1054
>be at university
>connect to campus network
>"sorry you must have an up-to-date antivirus to connect"
What the fuck do I do? I use Linux so I don't want to install any botnet and they don't accept Common Sense.
>>
Serves you right for being an autistic nerd virginal LOONIX user.

Ask for genuine Microsoft software.
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (14 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
14 KB, 240x320
>>54225225
this pasta gave me the shits
>>
If you don't know your way around, you don't belong on /g/.
/g/ is for the finest /g/entoomen only.
>>
speak to IT
>>
>>54225120
Is it serious or just trolling? If not country, what is your country? I don't want to go to a country where university are full retard.
>>
>>54225120
>implying there's not av software for linux
what is clamtk
>>
>>54225883

You mean what is clam, clamtk is the GUI, not the actual anti virus

aka, What you are referring to as clamtk is actually clam, or as I've more recently started calling it, clam + tk
>>
>>54225120
This would be funny, but you obviously have not done your research.

Shit like the cisco nac agent doesn't even work on linux, and linux machines attaching the network are never required to have a/v, if the checks fail it assumes you are not running windows and it just lets you connect.

most places just make sure you have windows update turned on and dont even care about the antivirus

1/10
>>
>>54225120
just boot the avira livecd
>>
>>54225120
Install a Linux antivirus like ClamAv?
>>
>>54225120
Hack them to teach them who's the boss.
>>
>>54225120
End your studies they are useless...
>>
>>54225955

I don't have a black ski mask no can do
>>
>>54225120
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcBTdB5Pj3s
>>
>>54225919
nah bruh, any package manager that can do dependency resolution installs clam aoutomagically when clamtk is installed, and clam is useless to anyone who actually needs it without a a gui cause if you're on linux and need an antivirus with rare exceptions like op, intelligence probably isn't their strong suit
>>
>>54226093

Yes, it installs it automatically, but that doesnt mean that clamtk is the anti virus, it's clam. If you're on linux and you cant run a CLI clam scan then get the fuck off linux and normies exit my thread promptly
>>
Transfer schools. If a schools network admin does something this stupid, what's the guarantee that your degree will be worth anything?
>>
>>54226128
no it doesn't make the gui the program but since the gui is needed and installs the program with it and the program is useless to those who need it without a gui, there's no reason to mention the program by itself, now go play rms somewhere else
>>
>>54226128
also,
>believing anyone who gets a virus on linux is actually capable of using cli
>>
>>54226232

WHAT IS ZERO DAY?
>>
>>54226284
something no one with a decent firewall setup has to worry about, now stop it with muh elitism and take reality into account when suggesting shit to random anons
>>
>>54226312

>someone with a decent firewall
>cant run a CLI clam scan
>>
>>54226196
You are now aware that Clam is most commonly used on Linux servers to scan the email attachements on the MTA.
Hint: there's no gui involved.
>>
>>54226408
yeah moron, I'm talking about two seperate subsets of linux users those with a decent firewall setup could indeed run a cli scan but have zero need for clam, those who need clam can't use it without a gui, that's just how it is and your bitching about how those kinds of people shouldn't be using muh linux isn't going to change anything

>>54226428
sure pal, even if true, it's not in any way relevant to the discussion going on
>>
>>54226458

Linux is not a desktop OS, not yet at least, and that won't change for a while.

Linux has it's home on servers and embedded devices, so if you're using linux you should have some basic CLI knowledge, so if you're using linux at all, you shouldn't be installing bloatware such as clamtk when you can do it via the terminal.

Also, clam is installed easily without clamtk being a dependency on my distro.
>>
>>54225881
then don't come to the US.
>>
>>54226545
Yes I will stay in France where university use Linux and tech functional programming.

I know, now, why we produce half of the Fields Medals.
>>
>>54226532
>linux isn't for desktop despite the massive influx of desktop users
denial much
also never said you can't install clam without clamtk, I said you couldn't install clamtk without it also installing clam, lrn2read bruh
>>
>>54225120
Check what it's checking and create a DLL or edit a registry
>>
>>54226458
>sure pal, even if true, it's not in any way relevant to the discussion going on
Wait, is this the mythical /g/ thread where people actually discuss the subject touched upon by OP rather than bicker about irrelevant details and nomenclature? I'm out then. I can't deal with situations where I can't go full ad hominem in response to opinions different to mine.
>>
File: dddd.jpg (9 KB, 243x208) Image search: [Google]
dddd.jpg
9 KB, 243x208
OMG
>>
>>54226606
Most NAC products use a combination of user agent and passive fingerprinting to identify devices that run Windows/Mac OS operating systems but don't have their agent installed and automatically quarantine them until the agent is installed.

Defeating the agent once installed on the PC is harder than faking the other two.
>>
>>54226585

Maybe massive influx compared to normal linux desktop usage, but not to the point where it matters.

Every single "modern" linux desktop environment is many years behind the development of proprietary software in terms of features

I'm not calling you out specifically to prove that you're wrong, I wish that the linux desktop was more mature, but it's just not
>>
>>54225881
>I don't want to go to a country where university are full retard.
Too late, that's every country.
>>
>>54226682
You're mean anon.
>>
>>54226624
Discover the agent and exploit it's vulnerabilities, that or spoof a MAC address that has been allowed onto the network, otherwise hack the DHCP server and a static IP to reserve? May be very far fetched (1. Effort. 2. Possible?)
>>
I>>54225881
I've only been to two universities. Arizona State University didn't have this nonsense and you just had to log in with your student account info to gain access. Northern Arizona Univeristy requires you have an approved anti virus installed to connect, which is annoying because it takes a minute or two after connecting for the wifi to authorize you and let you have internet access. But at least they don't make you pay for anti virus and provide Sophos for free...
>>
>>54226804
So does it quarantine you with NAC, think CloudFlare when it 'checks' you at the DNS server before sending you on.
>>
>>54225120
I woudlnt let your piece of shit on my network either.
>>
>>54226849
I don't know. When my anti virus failed to update, it redirected me to a page saying I need to update my anti virus to continue browsing the internet.
>>
>>54225919
Autism
>>
>>54225120
Set up a Windows VM with an up-to-date antivirus in it, and use that to authenticate your laptop to the network. Hopefully it'll work with the network adapter set to NAT and end up authenticating your entire machine. If not, add a second network adapter to the VM and use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to share the connection to your host OS.
>>
You should stop being a child and instead use Windows 10 with an antivirus like a normal person.
>>
>>54227126
Sounds like Network Access Protection, which luckily Microsoft is killing.
>>
>>54228182
What you're referring to as Autism, is in fact, Cancer/Memes, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Cancer plus Memes.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.