[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I record PC gameplay because I'm a massive faggot. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: elgato-game-capture-image.jpg (43 KB, 655x354) Image search: [Google]
elgato-game-capture-image.jpg
43 KB, 655x354
I record PC gameplay because I'm a massive faggot.

I've had the best luck with Fraps, and then OBS. But these two still have their issues. Fraps doesn't encode so it's file sizes are massive, and it takes a lot of CPU power. OBS works on far fewer games than Fraps for me. So I'm wondering if there's a hardware alternative. Console games are great because you can just use a Hauppauge, which works on 100% of the games, zero performance hits (because you're not running the game on your PC), great quality and good file sizes. Could I use an El Gato by plugging my video card into it via hdmi instead of my monitor first? Computer GPU>El Gato>Monitor all via hdmi?
>>
To answer your question, yes. But if I'm not mistaken, I thought the PS4 could record gameplay and the Xbone had something in the works to compete.
>>
>>54224051
I said I'm not recording consoles. I'm recording PC.
>>
>>54223905
You're still decoding video from the capture card. Unless you're using a separate streaming PC, there's literally no benefit.

Have you tried OBS Studio? When run as administrator, I haven't found anything it can't capture yet, and you can tune it for performance in a handful of different ways.
>>
>>54223905
er nvidia cards have had a hardware encoder for ages its called shadowplay
>>
>>54223905
loilo recorder

works great and isnt obscureware like camstudio, encodes to mjpeg up to 99% quality, so a good mix between keeping size down and saving realtime resources

Ive had shit luck reencoding the still pretty huge files though. cmdline ffmpeg works but everything else fucks up the framerate and playback speed
>>
>>54224142
I was hoping the capture card was doing the decoding but I guess that makes sense. It doesn't have a CPU.

I haven't. I'm using the standard OBS. The issue I'm running into right now is with Wolfenstein The New Order. It looks like the game is tied to it's frame rate in a weird way, so any hitch at all and it's audio will become out of sync. I get 55 fps with OBS which is just enough to ruin it. OBS also has this issue where if Vsnyc is on, it'll give the game microstutters. I've noticed this in Witcher 3, Metro 2033 and Akiba's Trip. All of which I had to use Fraps for. I also want to mention I've tried monitor and window captures with no luck.

>>54224192
I have a 7950

>>54224199
I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>54224192
So does amd, it's called AMD GVR. Google it. It's far superior than niggervidyas best offering.
>>
>>54224238
GVR is not made by amd or related to it
>>
>>54224228
Might as well post my specs if it can be any help. I appreciate any suggestions.

W7 64-bit
Intel i5-4570 X4 3.2GHz
AMD 7950 3GB
12GB Mixed RAM
750W Corsair PSU
240GB Mushkin SSD
1TB HDD + 2TB HDD

>>54224238
That's just Raptr's PlayTV bullshit. It runs like garbage for me and I can barely understand it's shit interface. Am I wrong that it's not PlayTV?
>>
>>54224261
You might want to try Dxtory. It's the lightest-weight recording utility I've found yet, though it requires some configuration and the recording hook can be finicky.

Studio has performed WAY better than OBS Classic for me as far as game capture performance, though. You might want to try that first.
>>
>>54224255
>>54224261
Nvidya shills in full effect. Just jealous their GPUs aren't on next gen consoles.
>>
>>54224298
>Nvidya shill

I'm the OP. You know, the one with a 7950? You fucking retard.

>>54224296
I tried it a year or two ago and found it identical to OBS. I'll give it and OBS Studio a shot.
>>
>>54224329
All this anti-shilling shilling. How much do they pay you pajeet?
>>
>>54224329
A lot of Dxtory's performance comes down to what codec you're using, so if Studio doesn't work out for you, you might want to fuck around with that for a while.
>>
>>54224199
Just tested Loilo. It looks great and plays ok but the video afterwords freezes every couple seconds.

>>54224371
Any codec recommendations?
>>
>>54224261
just get the free upgrade to win-10
then when playing hold win key + alt and hit R to start and stop recording. win+alt+M to turn on/off mic recording during video capture

it's what i use and i don't notice much affect on FPS. win-10 really did do some improvements in this area, despite all the memes against it.
my rig:
2012 lenovo y-580
i7-36300qm
gtx-660m
6gb ram
1tb hdd

i've recorded as much as 45 minutes at full hd, i'm not sure how long i could have recorded though.
>>
>>54223905
If you have an Nvidia gpu shadow play is awesome
>>
>>54223905
check if you have a intel cpu

quicksync is probably what you want
>>
If you have a nvidia card, get GEForce Experience and use Shadowplay. Best recorder you'll ever get.
>>
>>54224547
I hate Intel CPU but I don't get what you mean about quicksync.
>>
>>54224066
Same shit nice dubs
>>
>>54223905
OP, here's your answer:
>>54224492
it what my roomy uses to rec minecraft and upload to yt.
>>
>>54224228
>standard OBS
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as standard OBS is, in fact, OBS Classic, or as I've recently taken to calling it, depreciated.

OBS Studio just put out a new release, while OBS Classic has been on the same version since November.
>>
>>54224142
OBS Studio doesn't capture Borderlands 2 video, just audio, at least for me, using Game Capture... dunno why.
>>
>>54224585
While I'm willing to try just about anything, I have serious doubts about W10 and hearsay from a guy who recorded minecraft. I'm recording something far more intensive than minecraft.

>>54224609
OBS gives black screen for lots of games. It's why I turn to Fraps often.
>>
>>54224451
Actually, I forgot, you might want to try out Bandicam as well. Its MJPEG codec was pretty good for performance on my old toaster, and the interface is decent.

>>54224609
Tried running it as administrator, or changing the hook type in source properties? I've recorded Borderlands 2 with no problems.
>>
>>54224573
OBS has a capture mode the utilizes intel quicksync(that runs off your igpu), it's low on CPU consumption

might be what you're looking for, there's also an esotetric option where you can offload encoding to another PC via lan+quicksync

check it out
>>
>>54224632
then take the hearsay and google it yourself
or don't. just use trial version of bandicam so it's fuzzy and leaves a watermark in the middle of the screen. gl.
>>
>>54224663
Quicksync is greyed out for me.

It's a Haswell it 4570 3.2ghz.

I'm assuming it doesn't support quick sync?
>>
why using loilo if obs is free too. Loilo is meh-software. it works and all but you can't do much with it. Ressource-wise it is the same as OBS for me.
>>
>>54224746
you need to enable it in the bios first i think

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-use-quicksync.82/
>>
>>54224770
I was actually just reading this guide.

I'll check out my bios and report back in a couple minutes.
>>
>>54223905
Do keep in mind el gato's have the most awful stability
>>
>>54224775
Back.

I changed my video adaptor to "onboard" and because I'm an idiot, I realized too late that it means my dvi and monitor wouldn't get a signal. Luckily I have some hdmi cables so I'm using one of those atm.

Quicksync is now enabled and selected with OBS. I'll report back in a minute. Should I be worried that I'm running a high demand game and the video isn't outputting via my GPU? Does it not matter? It's stil lmust be using the GPU.

>>54225111
I used Hauppauge back in the day. Was always awesome to me. I don't record console games atm but if I did, I'd just use them again.
>>
>>54225139
When I try to run the game, it just black screen's then comes back. Game never runs.

I guess I"m supposed to setup a multi-monitor system without actually using multiple monitors? The guide mentions it but never really says.
>>
Get a real card, buy nvidia
>>
>>54225173
Got the onboard graphics card to run wolfenstein which isn't what I was trying to do. To get my graphics card to run it, I thinkI needed to setup a multiple monitor setup or trick my computer into thinking it was doing it. It was too much of a hassle so I stopped.

I'm gonna try PlayTV again right now. Tried it a few months ago and hated it but we'll see.
>>
Just use afterburner with h264 plugin. You can use quicksync and some AMD hardware acceleration stuff but I could never get the video quality good enough and the performance increase for me was too small to be worth it.

Tutorial I used to set mine up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSpb4_kV9ko&feature=youtu.be

If you enable show own statistics in rivatuner you can get the ingame overlay to display the length and filesize of your recording too which is pretty useful.
>>
File: 7865487.jpg (1 MB, 2000x876) Image search: [Google]
7865487.jpg
1 MB, 2000x876
I think we have a winner with PlayTV. I couldn't get it to record in 60fps tho, but 30 will do. Here's a link. Also pic related is Wolfenstein before and after (left to right) I remove all the stupid post effects. I'll never understand why devs think shit filters look good. Just gotta fix the jaggies with some AA and I'll be set. Thanks everyone for your help. Now I'll get an hour or two in and realize I hate this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FAgo5wEyg&feature=youtu.be

>>54225756
I'll try MSI Afterburner is PlayTV starts fucking up.

Also, is it a rule or something that youtube tutorials must be narrated with broken english?
>>
>>54225944
You can do that? Brb installing wolfenstein
>Tfw 50gb
>>
>>54225999
Yes. You can remove depth of field, the grain filter, up the AA and a bunch of other shit that's not changeable natively.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/discussions/0/558756256617043584/
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/wolfenstein-the-new-order-new-tweaks-discovered-properly-adjust-fov-completely-disable-dof/
>>
>>54223905
>shadowplay gives no performance hit and great quality
>files unusable in vegas

>>obs gives big performance hit
>>files look like shit
>>muh open sores
>>
>>54226119
>use defaults for anything ever
>surprised they look like shit
>>
>>54226157
Next you'll type ">he doesn't compile from source"
>>
>>54226235
lets see your settings then
>>
File: 2016-04-25_173841.jpg (151 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-25_173841.jpg
151 KB, 1366x768
>>54226295
>settings
lmao what settings

oh, you mean these?
>>
>>54226406
oh whao is this what the new OBS looks like
>>
>>54226406
Output > Recording
>>
>realize I hate this game
Bad taste general?
>>
>all these adoredtv worshipers trying to derail the thread with >muh consoles xD

only such a shitty fanbase would support consoles.
>>
File: this.png (63 KB, 897x670) Image search: [Google]
this.png
63 KB, 897x670
>>54226406
Here anon-kun
>>
File: 2016-04-25_174808.jpg (188 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-25_174808.jpg
188 KB, 1366x768
>>54226533
too bad OBS just doesn't work
>>
>>54226648
>Output mode: Advanced
>>
>>54226675
>babby detected
>>
>>54226472
It was a joke. Re-read it
>>
>>54226533
>1000 bit-rate

I use 10K. I tried 1k and it was so pixelated.
>>
>>54224451
Lagarenth lossless. Or something like that. When I use it I get like a 5 fps hit with hood quality vidya clips
>>
how improved is the new OBS?

or is it just a UI rehaul
>>
>>54228141
Very much improved over the old GNU/Linux version
>>
OBS Studio 14.1 or something just came out last night, which added deinterlacing after 3 years of begging on my knees. God bless Yadifx2.
>>
Always remember to have Disable Aero under video checked for OBS, and if Game Capture doesnt work well try running in a window and window capture
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.