[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so, what kind of cpu do I need so this piece of shit editor??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 2.png (191 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
2.png
191 KB, 512x512
so, what kind of cpu do I need so this piece of shit editor??

an i7, Xeon??

i5 obviously isnt enough.
>>
>>54221159
Here's a better idea, use an IDE that isn't shit.
>>
Probably some top of the line i7, this fucker is so resource hungry it's not even funny.
>>
>>54221172
look at this shit... cant handle bootstrap minimized css.

also, I fucking used to shill this piece of garbage
>>
Its a single threaded mess of a text editor coded in nodejs
>>
>>54221159
The problem is you are trying to use a web browser to edit text. Use a text editor the next time.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 402x323) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 402x323
Its coded in FUCKING JAVASCRIPT
>>
>>54221194
I actually happen to have tested it earlier (on a Windows desktop with i5 2500k) and it froze my entire system and audio for a few seconds when I tried to upgrade the packages...
>>
>>54221159
This editor is obsolete. The Icon alone should tell you that.
>>
I could probably run Vim on my toaster
>>
>>54221226
>>54221258
and I fucking wasted so much time finding and installing packages and plugins

>>54221259
vim is not really an alternative though... cant get used to it. vim mode is fine, but I do need to have a mouse too
>>
>>54221159
Use Brackets.io
>>
>>54221329
why? its just another javascript based shit without as many plugins as atom
>>
>>54221346
>muh plugins
Brackets.io has everything you need out of the box
If you do web dev it's a godsend
It will simplify your life

Don't ask me "why" - just try it
>>
>>54221358
>everything you need out of the box
stfu pajeet. go shill your editor somewhere else.
>>
File: spacemacs.gif (208 KB, 1376x950) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs.gif
208 KB, 1376x950
>>54221358
>web dev
top kek, kys

spacemacs 4 lyf
>>
Werks on my machine :^)
>>
The best of the JS-based editors is Visual Studio Code. It's way faster than Atom, has a growing community, extensions for many webdev tools and its support for Typescript blows Atom's out of the water.

Then Atom, which has the biggest community but it's slow.

I'd recommend Brackets only to people tied to the Adobe ecosystem as it's pretty good for working with PSD assets. I'd say it's mostly for the base of the frontend pyramid, people who code mails and wordpress themes.
>>
>>54221568
VSCode is quite decent compared to Atom but why the fuck did they think that missing such an important feature as tabs was a good idea?
>>
>>54221586
Honestly? I didn't even notice it was missing tabs when I switched from Atom to VSCode. I'm too used to switching/opening files using the command palette.

The "working files" list does works as an horizontal tab list though. If you're on a mac you can switch between opened files using cmd+e and cmd+shift+e, just like ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab in Atom.
>>
>>54221624
Well it won't work for me because I usually use two views with each having its respective tab group that I switch with keybinds between views/tabs in current view and use the tab bar to visualize my current setup so the sidebar is of no use here.
>>
>>54221641
Ah, yes, the split view feature could use a lot of work.
>>
>>54221438
>using someone else's massive shitty config that you don't understand
>layering a foreign editing paradigm onto an entire os so that it inevitably breaks and you have to guess how to type
i scooby dooby doo
>>
>>54221438
Spacemacs looks pretty but Jesus Christ its slow and glitchy. A text editor shouldn't fucking freeze from entering text.
>>
>>54221159
I use it on a 5th gen Pentium, and it works without lag.

You might be doing something wrong, OP.
>>
>>54221159
Just use Sublime 3 you pleb. Atom and Brackets are slow.
The fastest is Notepad++ but its UI sucks ass.

Sublime is the best compromise between performance, features and usability.
>>
>>54221159
>using a browser to edit text
>>
>>54222331
How is N++ faster? They both show they right as you enter. Can't see any difference
>>
>>54222331
This, to be honest.
>>
>>54221438
>>web dev
>has a picture of web dev
>>
>>54221159
Emacs if you are cool
Sublime Text if you are normie.
Atom is piece of shit.
>>
>>54222369
Notepad++ is the text editor which has the fastest launching time and it supports opening the biggest files. I've never seen it crash like other editors from opening a large file. So it seems it has better memory management than other editors.

But the UI looks like it's still in the early 2000s and there's not much to customise besides fonts and background colours. It must be using some old C++ GUI library.

Sublime has a slightly slower launching time, but that's because it's checking its installed plugins first. It can't open too large files, as far as I know. It does have a very flexible UI and lots of useful plugins that improves your productivity by a lot.
>>
N++ for small projects.
Specific IDEs for actual projects.
>>
>>54221313
vim has mouse support. :set mouse=a
(put set mouse=a in your vimrc to load everytime)
>>
i do a lot of rust with the racer, rust-linter and terminal-plus plugins in atom.

yersterday i tried to debug my projects in visual studio code but found it more or less lacking.

currently my debugging solution is to just println my stuff and use RUST_BACKTRACE=1 exits with a nice stacktrace in the terminal

if i really need debugging i use eclipse with the rust-dt plugin.

and if everything else fails -> vim

right now iam at a point where i use all kinds of ides, because at work i use visual studio, netbeans and notepad++ and intelij (yes we have a shitshow of c++, .net, java & javascript going on)

but i find my self fucking tired of IDEs and often just fire up (g)vim or atom regardless of what i need to code.
if somebody would offer me a rust job right now i would probably drop everything but atom+vim and be a happy camper.. i so fucking hate everything else and it drains my energy
>>
>>54221568

Does VSCode have a decent pair programming addon?
>>
>>54221159
Zen
>>
Why does /g/ whine so much about text editors?

Just pick one with the nicest themes.
>>
>>54221159
Servo will fix Atom.
>>
>>54221171
he calls it an IDE
:^D
gtfo
>>
File: 1.gif (2 MB, 234x207) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
2 MB, 234x207
>>54224645
>>
Literally never had any problems with Atom on my i5 8GB ram system. Don't know what you're all whining about
>>
>>54221159

Wtf are you doing? I'm running atom on an i3 Chromebook running Debian. Works great. You sure there's not something else fucked up on your system?
>>
why is it vim is so slow compared to gui editors like kate?
I mean try pasting a couple of lines and the delay is visible.
Do everyone work over ssh?
>>
>>54225228
It's not vim, it's your terminal emulator that's slow. Use a fast term and you're set.
>>
File: Untitled.png (39 KB, 704x530) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
39 KB, 704x530
Works fine for me. Also work fine on my eOS in VirtualBox.
>>
>>54221568
thank you pajeet, I will download it right away.

unrelated question, does microsoft sell didlos with their logo on them?
>>
>>54221159
>so, what kind of cpu do I need so this piece of shit editor??
wat
>>
>>54222122
>>54222331
I said it lagged out opening bootstrap min. css file.

Of course it doesnt lag when opening 12 lines of code documents.
>>
What can an ide do that vim can't? Besides coding in Java.
>>
>>54227118
code hinting/linting?? I dont see how vim could do that since it runs in a freaking terminal
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.