[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone watch this? was it accurate? did you enjoy it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 12
File: mr-robot.jpg (80 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
mr-robot.jpg
80 KB, 600x549
Did anyone watch this? was it accurate? did you enjoy it?
>>
Where is my mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMfNB3fakB8
>>
you're late for the train, it's an ok presentation of social engineering, hacking and drugs
also, this is not /tv/
>>
Been watching it, it's really good.
>>
>>54218021
It was an awesome show. Loved all the drama and techie thing.
>>
its fun but kinda cringy at times
>>
>>54218021
>Did anyone watch this?
Yes
>was it accurate?
No
>did you enjoy it?
Yes

Person of interest was far better
>>
File: 1459132046996.jpg (59 KB, 599x549) Image search: [Google]
1459132046996.jpg
59 KB, 599x549
>Fight Club Silicone Valley Edition
Meh
>>
>>54218071
>Person of interest was far better
This, too bad that they're cancelling it
>>
>Did anyone watch this?
I watched the first episode.

>was it accurate?
No.

did you enjoy it?
I found the main character very irritating. I won't be watching any more episodes.
>>
>>54218021
>Did you watch this
Yes
>Was it accurate
Partially, better than most popular depictions of hacking. Some parts were cringe though.
>Did you enjoy it
Yes, but not because the tech, just a very good drama.
>>
File: HELLYA111.png (6 KB, 201x222) Image search: [Google]
HELLYA111.png
6 KB, 201x222
The guy suffers from Schizophrenia and it's all in his head. The hacker girl is his sister, the "leader" of the hackers is his father that died long ago... I just saved you a couple of hours with this recap for season 2. No need to thank me.
>>
>>54218021
Waiting for season 2
>>
>>54218021
DUDE DRUGS LMAO the show
>>
>>54218204
but the drugs plot line was dropped like half way through the series?
>>
This is the most incredible show I ever watched. I won't deny I'm especially attached to it because I relate to the protagonist Elliot Alderson a lot in terms of his loneliness and social anxiety. Mr Robot has also taught me that when you have evil corps (not E Corp specifically) and computers, hacking really is a man's best friend. Nevermind that I know NOTHING about hacking. I intend to learn. And what better place than the mecca of hackers! We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.
>>
It was interesting to watch but a bit preachy/cringy at times with the "le evilz 1%" type speeches
>>
File: 10377251.jpg (14 KB, 382x395) Image search: [Google]
10377251.jpg
14 KB, 382x395
>tfw KDE user

I feel proud for tyrell for some reason
>>
>>54218021
The most amusing aspect of this show is the campaign they did for it on Facebook. Some fine tone-deaf marketing.
>>
File: KDE User experience.webm (3 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
KDE User experience.webm
3 MB, 500x500
mandatory
>>
File: 1436173414283.webm (384 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1436173414283.webm
384 KB, 640x360
>>54218288
shit, wrong webM lol
>>
>>54218295
>shit, wrong webM lol

Right...
>>
>>54218288
>Fucking macfags
Just another day of KDE user
>>
>>54218288
i didnt get this, why did put the micro sd card into that guys phone, why was he important, we never saw him again?
>>
>>54218021

I KEEP THINKING THAT THUMBNAIL IS FUCKING TOM WISSEAU
>>
>>54218313
its just a shitty show dude

its not even getting a second season
>>
>>54218332
>its not even getting a second season
Except it is.
>>
File: vYS2vOn.jpg (52 KB, 512x341) Image search: [Google]
vYS2vOn.jpg
52 KB, 512x341
>>54218021
garbage show. jumped the shark after 2nd episode.

main character has a certain twinkish look about him.
>>
>>54218092
Shit

Any other good shows?
>>
>>54218288
I was watching this show with my mum and this came on screen
>>
>>54218288
>>54218295
>/Mr--Robot-WebMs/Tyrell-s-WebMs
>>
>>54218021
Contemporary cyberpunk theme and debt clearing are interesting, but the whole fight club thing ruined it for me. It made the show needlessly edgy and it was pretty obvious.

>>54218071
Yeah, it was far better. Too bad most episodes were stand-alone, though.
>>
>>54218021
Watched it, hated it, was semi-accurate, but mostly bullshit.
>>
>>54218367
HCF
>>
>>54218690
There will never be a TV show that won't depict Hacking as edgy, because the reality of it just being one fat fuck sat infront of a computer with his "underground clan" actually being other fat fucks who meet up in IRC rooms and not abandoned warehouses on Coney Island would be just depressing to watch. You just cannot admire someone who only clears the worlds debts for teh lulz and instead of having kick ass warehouse parties to celebrate they marathon their favourite anime shows instead.

Really they should have made it about internet activists because they probably do hangout in abandoned warehouses where they write blogs together while claiming they're outside of society and shut off from the world while having an inexplicably large amount of friends who fuck each other while getting off their tits on soft drugs.
>>
>>54218984
>they probably do
Can confirm, they do.
>>
>>54218288
What was the point of this scene?
>>
Has anyone written an article debunking Mr Robot's hacks yet?
>>
>>54219021
To show how edgy it is, gay sex on TV is a huge deal in the US
>>
>>54218021
Reached episode four,as bad as NCIS shit.
>>
>>54219030
No one needs to. It doesn't work that way

Hacking takes a long research and patience, specially when you are dealing with a big tech company
>>
>>54218021

Barely made it through episode one, dropped

This isn't a show for hackers, it's a show for idiots who want to feel like hackers

I'm glad to see people making the Fight Club comparison, because Fight Club fleshed out a similar breed of armchair guerrilla.
>>
Parts of it were very cringy in my opinion. It has a good story overall and decent characters, especially that Swedish guy, but I don't like that the main character is basically a normalfag. I expected him to be an autistic virgin like me.
>>
>>54219051
He isnt a normal-fag.
He is the exact opposite.
>>
>>54219059
>fucks several times
>has a gf
>uses drugs
>not a normalfag
>>
>>54218984
I agree. I thought the edgy part was the split personality thing, not the depiction of hackers.

I don't mind when hackers hack Gibsons in rollerblades. I just don't see the point of Eliot being crazy. Antisocial and paranoid junkie is OK. But split personality - why? His both personalities are on the same page, there is no real conflict between them.

Like, couldn't he have actually been the one sane person living in the crazy world where banks and corporations are enslaving people and getting away with it? Or would that be too subversive for TV?
>>
>>54219059
>does drugs
>fuck chicks
>is asshole to chicks
>is able to lie with a straight face despite supposedly being socially awkward
He's clearly a normie
>>
>>54218243
Cringing hard
>>
>>54219085
>>54219074
>>54219059
Also
>feels lonely and wants to be social
Clearly a normalfag.
>>
>>54219074
>>54219085
>fuck chicks
>implying fucking his neighbour borderline-drug-addicted dealer is somewhat special

>has a gf
Not actually he has no GF.

>uses drugs
>implying doing morphine is such a normal thing to do

>is asshole to chicks
So? Normal people a generally not assholish to anybody.
>>
>>54218288
>>54218295
That was beautiful lol
>>
>>54218243
Ew
>>
>>54219101
Doing drugs is the most normie thing you can do.

Also, clearly Shayla is his GF, have you even watched the show?

>So? Normal people a generally not assholish to anybody.
Yes because ditching girls rudely after fucking them is totally not something every guy does, right?
>>
>>54219130
>Doing drugs is the most normie thing you can do.
Lol if that is your definition of normal, you are probably the most normal person on earth.

>Also, clearly Shayla is his GF, have you even watched the show?
No she wasnt his gf. She was just his neighbour.

>Yes because ditching girls rudely after fucking them is totally not something every guy does, right?
Normal people dont do that, he does it.
So he is far away from normal.
>>
>>54218092

As far as I know they're wrapping it up as it's reaching it's logical conclusion. I don't think it's being canned.

Can't wait for the next season, best show on TV IMHO
>>
>>54218243
>>
>>54219075
Well I think it is probably and over-exaggerated depiction of the stereotypical anon based on what can be observed on 4chan, lots of people talking about their hate for "the man" and their desire to hack them but in all likeliness away from their computer they're just a slightly awkward person that no one would suspect of changing the world.

Basically Elliot's schizophrenia is just him being a keyboard warrior, albeit a successful one. The hallucinations of his father is just down to him being fucked up on drugs no doubt.
>>
>>54219142
Don't argue with that guy, his definition of normal is clearly "something I will never be" and it's getting embarrassing.
>>
>>54219018
Elaborate?

>>54219046
They did a good job of emphasising how important social engineering is to hacking in the 21st century.
>>
>>54219205
That's a nice way of explaining it. I sometimes forget shows are targeted at normal people and they might need plot devices such as schizophrenia to depict what is for us common sense.
>>
>>54218243
KEKEKEKEKEKEK comedy gold
>>
>>54218243
10/10 top bait
>>
Most of the time it was fairly accurate coupled with some outlandish scenes that really made me laugh. Overall the show was pretty good. It got annoying near the end but I wont explain why.

I would give it an 8/10.
>>
>>54219255
To be honest the kind of hacker Elliot is doesn't even exist in real life.
White hats are too happy the amount of money they get for running a penetration test once a month.
Grey hats are just white hats who indulge in internet activism by night.
Black hats are the type to hack big corporations but the reason why they're black hats is because they hate humanity for being mean to them when they were kids and want to make their mark (usually a PWND.txt file left on a sever somewhere) to prove some sort of personal amount of power against the world, so the idea of one bringing down a corporation to clear 'Chad's' (read the entire population outside his mom's basement) credit card bills is very unlikely.
>>
>>54219143
Maybe Netflix will continue it, but that's not sure.
>>
File: 1461341547608.jpg (897 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1461341547608.jpg
897 KB, 1600x1200
It was pretty good, some things were accurate, others were not. One of the better 3D shows I've seen so far.
>>
>>54219221
I agree.
>>
File: gordo.jpg (53 KB, 550x341) Image search: [Google]
gordo.jpg
53 KB, 550x341
>>54218021

I watched it, it isn't very accurate, and I enjoyed it.

I also watched and enjoyed Halt and Catch Fire, which, as someone who was alive back in that era, was more accurate (at least the first season, anyways).
>>
>>54218184
You forgot the chinese drag, seems like an important part of season 2
>>
>>54218184
You forgot the hoe that makes mah main nigga lose his shit for the last part of the season
>>
It was cringeworthy, but it gave us memes so its allright. Its has a fairly accurate representation of computing/hacking.
>>
>>54219021
To show how far Tyrell is (and her wife are) willing to go to get a promotion.
>>
>>54218357
Shit. I thought this was only a thing in Mexico. That picture if missing the fuckload of pirate dvds you're offered when you rent one of those.
>>
>>54219085
>>is able to lie with a straight face despite supposedly being socially awkward
I'm great at lying and I've got crippling anxiety and gradually worsening schizophrenia. The latter is probably going to ruin it for me though.

I think it helps I generally feel detached so I don't feel bad lying, and before i started become retarded i was very quick witted so I can easily make up a lie quickly and remember it.

>does drugs
I smash that shit like no tomorrow, genuinely helps for self medicating

>fuck chicks
theres always desperate girls but ill give you a soft-pass on this one

>is asshole to chicks
Autists can be assholes to everyone simply by reading situations incorrectly, entirely feasible
>>
Speaking of hacking: how realistic was the hacking scene at the beginning of "the social network"?
>>
>>54219049
>armchair guerrilla

Doesn't every sensationalist TV show and movie breed armchair guerillas?

Cool term though, I'm stealing it.
>>
The first episodes showed some more precise stuff like commands in a Linux terminal being run and those generally made sense, however, after the first two or so episodes it becomes much less about the technology and much more about the thriller. Also, there are some inconsistencies, like the fact (as pointed out by a some magazine I heard) the main character never changes his phone.
>>
>>54219059
>has a job
>is surrounded and able to talk to women
>dude drugs lmao

Sounds like a normie to me
>>
>>54220829
If only he was actually a script kiddie then it would have been perfectly realistic.
>>
>>54220829
>has a job
Who hasnt?
>is surrounded and able to talk to women
Who isnt and who cant?
>dude drugs lmao
Pretty unnormal desu.
>>
>>54220877
>Pretty unnormal desu.

>Hitting up the clubs tonight! You know what will really set the night off though? Abstaining from drugs and alcohol.
>>
>>54220901
>Hitting up the clubs tonight! You know what will really set the night off though? Abstaining from drugs and alcohol.
>hasnt watched Mr Robot
Case clear.
>>
>>54220877
I don't think you understand the whole normie vs autistic thing.

Let me tell you, an autistic person would spend an entire season just working up the courage to talk to a person, let alone get a job and fuck your next door whore.
>>
>>54218071
>Was it accurate
Compared to ANY other show on TV? Yes, it was.
>>
>>54220927
No you said that drugs weren't normal. that's a very broad statement.

Even in Mr Robot the idea of someone suffering from depression and taking illegal drugs to combat it isn't uncommon either.
>>
>>54220947
>Let me tell you, an autistic person would spend an entire season just working up the courage to talk to a person, let alone get a job and fuck your next door whore.
Not, thats not what an autistic person is like.
I know autists and they dont behave like that at all.
>>
For someone with depression the main character is pretty capable.
>>
>>54220947
You're confusion social anxiety/being a fucking pussy with autism.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
Cringy as fuck. Literally a show for 12 year olds made by 40 year old manchildren.
>>
The first episode was very good, but after, it was... Bru
>>
The entire show was trash
>I can brute-force facebook passwords with social-engineering words I choose in a moment
Sure, but they forgot you cannot obtain the pass hashes like, at all, so bruteforcing the online logging would get you banned from trying in the first few tries.
>>
>>54219328
This really sums it all up nicely
>>
>>54219037
Which NCIS episode are u referring too
>>
>>54218295
>hurr durr KDE vs GNOME
This was, in my mind, probably the worst scene in the entire series. No Linux users do this in real life, I've only ever witnessed this among first semester college students and on /g/.

In real life, nobody gives a shit and certainly not enough to actually comment on it.
>>
>>54220992
Well, they definitively don't stare rape every single person. If anything, an autistic person avoids eye contact.
>>
The main character looks too normal to be a NEET. Hackers are generally misshapen and ugly
>>
>>54221284
This amazed me too, I wondered how he got the hashes. It blew my mind, he actually got a password with 3 questions and I'm here killing my GPU with hashcat trying hundreds of thousands password every hour :(
>>
>>54221284
>what are proxys
>>
>>54221722
If you had that many proxies/bots you wouldn't be using them to hack fucking facebook, also, he didn't mentioned in any case that he had a botnet, so that wasn't the case. They showed fan-fiction trash.
>>
I still don't get how the computer in a police car first of all automatically accepts any bluetooth connections (you normally need to manually enter a PIN) and secondly how it somehow was supposed to be connected to the prison SCADA/ICS.

There are plenty of plausible actual bluetooth hacks they could have namedropped, such as getting a hold of the police officers phone or something while he was at the bathroom, and then intercepting as a MITM or anything. But that still doesn't explain how it supposedly would give Elliot access to the actual prison network.

Another thing that sincerely bothers me is how did the Raspberry PI they installed in the termostat have any internet connection? I mean, the location he installs it in clearly has no cellular coverage (this is a huge part of the plot) and AFAIK he doesn't have wifi-access in the building, so how exactly did they manage to control it?
>>
>>54221646
To be fair actors are not normally misshapen and ugly. The guy who plays Elliot is as ugly as they come.
>>
>>54221769
Calm your autism, bruh.
>>
File: where_do_you_think_you_are.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
where_do_you_think_you_are.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>>54221829
>>
>>54218253
the faggot is the kde user
>>
>>54218243
Kali Linux
>>
>>54221284
Wouldn't phishing work for that shit?
>>
Why do they use the Sega Mega Drive font?
>>
File: meme-kde-user.png (433 KB, 640x724) Image search: [Google]
meme-kde-user.png
433 KB, 640x724
>>54222015

Why? :(
>>
>>54221372
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ
>>
>>54218313
That's the assistant of the guy who got CTO, Tyrell knew about it beforehand because he hacked his phone.
>>
>>54218021
First ep made me cum with excitement, then it went to total shit and towards the end it got better, last 2 episodes were shit again.
Its like a pretty devent rollercoaster overall.
Totally watchable, would recommend to a bored person / 10.
>>
>>54218021
>was it accurate?
microwaves RAM/10
>did you enjoy it?
Interesting movie but nothing special
>>
Cringe the show
>>
>>54221789
Why doesn't it have cell phone coverage? In heavily tiled bathrooms or concrete buildings sure the signal gets blocked, but in most buildings you'll still have a cell signal. /plot armor.
>>
>>54218021
>Did anyone watch this?
yes

>was it accurate?
kinda, but not really
at least they tried

>did you enjoy it?
It's an excelent show up until the twist
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.