[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is point of Python, Ruby, AND Perl existing? isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: arch user.jpg (57 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
arch user.jpg
57 KB, 1024x576
What is point of Python, Ruby, AND Perl existing?

isn't it kind of redundant? How do they really differ from eachother in noticeable ways beyond syntax and minor differences?
>>
Well?
>>
well?
>>
It's called a free country, kid. There's no thought police telling you that you're not allowed to create a programming language.
>>
>>54215084
I know but why are they used when the development efforts could be focused on one language?

I just don't really understand the purpose of having multiple things that serve the same purpose and in the same manner, tbqh.
>>
>>54215161
Is competition really such a foreign concept to you?
>>
>>54215182
That's my question, how and why do they compete against eachother?
>>
>>54215210
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_%28economics%29
>>
>>54214706

Perl exists because it was the best quick-and-dirty scripting language back in the day.
Python and Ruby exist because two different groups working independently of each other had different opinions of what's wrong with Perl and how to fix it.
>>
>>54215277
i'm asking about it in the context of scripting languages you narcoleptic autist
>>
>>54215319
> not being able to understand ideas in a way that allows you to apply them more generically elsewhere

What's it like being retarded?
>>
>>54215316
Would you say Python is better or Ruby?
>>
>>54215362
What's it like being so autistic you can't converse with others in regards to a given topic of discussion?
>>
>>54215467
As a child, were you told that there's no such thing as stupid questions? Because there are. It is the "given topic of discussion".

Nobody is answering you seriously, because they're embarrassed to think somebody would be so stupid that they'd need to ask.
>>
>>54215446
You should really decide that for yourself by trying both. Personally I like the syntax of Ruby more since it has a lot of "shortcuts" that let you write really concise code, while in Python there's usually only one reasonable way to do something (not really a bad thing, this is part of why people think it's easier). However Python is more readable, has more packages available to use, and has more job opportunities. It's also used in more fields, such as scientific computing, finance, and data science, while Ruby is mostly just a web/sysdadmin language.
>>
>>54215568
Don't Ruby's Gems severely outnumber Python modules tho?
>>
>Ruby
Deprecated
>Perl
Deprecated

>>54215580
nah http://githut.info/
>>
>>54215535
you have aspergers
>>
>>54215161
?the development efforts could be focused on one language
why the fuck I have to work for your own sake?

Dumb kids thinking they are the center of the world, and everyone has to work their ass off to make those dumbass lives better.
>>
>>54216008
Huh? Then why create a free programming language in the first place?
>>
>>54215603
>githut

You are trying to say "the world whole code resident in github", aren't you.

But I do have to agree that while ruby has more libraries, most of them are 10 lines shit written by rails hipsters in the past (yeah just like nodejs).
>>
>>54216017
first, creating a language nowadays is pretty trivial:

- frontend: you can just leave lex/flex yacc/bison do all the work for you, just define the grammar
- backend: LLVM, javascript, C, IL, jvm bytecode are popular compiler target, just chose llvm if you are not so sure.

People invent new languages for their own amusement, expressing new idea/syntax sugar, fixing what they don't like in existing languages, etc.

Most languages are made from one or two man effort anyways, nobody forces you to contribute to it.
>>
>>54216087
I know but why did you say I'm a "dumb kid who expects people to work for my own sake"?

I just don't get why there would be so many split up projects instead of concentrated efforts on one to make it flawless.
>>
Perl is for oldfags
Ruby is for sjws, womyn in tech, and webniggers
Python is for cis het white males and asian males.

The choice is yours anon. Which group do you want to be associated with?
>>
>>54216107
>concentrated efforts on one to make it flawless.

why should they?

and there is no such thing as "flawless". Each person has his own ideal of how to do things. Personally I think python is stupid and anyone who enjoy python must be brain damaged, so why the fuck I should code in it or even contribute something to it?

And that's not just me, many people also think so. We are not your, or the society's slaves, we are free to do thing we like in our own ways, that including making new programming languages.

Programming are hobby/passion for people too, anon. Not all of them just do it for the money.
>>
>>54216149
>Python is for cis het white males and asian males

I've seen an awful lot of SJWs Python "coders" tho...
>>
>>54216170
>And that's not just me, many people also think so. We are not your, or the society's slaves, we are free to do thing we like in our own ways, that including making new programming languages.

True, I guess that makes sense.

It's just a little overwhelming and confusing when I look at wikipedia "List of programming languages" and there's like 50+ languages and I'm reading through them and I'm confused as to how they even differ and what their purpose is.
>>
>>54216149
So what you're saying is learning Ruby will get me laid?
>>
>>54216192
>It's just a little overwhelming and confusing when I look at wikipedia "List of programming languages" and there's like 50+ languages and I'm reading through them and I'm confused as to how they even differ and what their purpose is.
50 is the only for the most popular ones I guess, in reality there are like 10 new languages introduced to proggit/hackernews every months.

>for what purpose
Just read the README of each one, most of them will have a decent reason why they do it, even brainfuck or 4lang. Those who doesn't will die soon enough.
>>
>>54216209
You might be lucky enough to catch one on the rebound.
>>
>cute snek
>can also fuck up ur shit
>import import no need to waste time coding
>>
>>54216328
>Ruby
>Cute rock
>Lots of gems
>>
>>54214706
Different languages for different minds.

Ruby is a powerful multi-paradigm abomination

Perl just werks and is familiar to anyone

Python is made by Fischer-Price

It doesn't matter which one you use because it's all the same shit done in different ways
>>
File: qhWig.jpg (390 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
qhWig.jpg
390 KB, 3888x2592
>>54216338
>can pretend to be rock
>lots of colors
>still also a cute snek

Ruby = BTFO
>>
>>54216416
except that some library doesn't exist in one language or another.
>>
>>54216328
>cute snek
Can't argue with that.
>>
File: 1460875452205.jpg (159 KB, 1492x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460875452205.jpg
159 KB, 1492x1080
>>54216497
The same libraries exist in every scripting language because code monkeys arr think same. If by some chance you need another library, it'll probably be made.
>>
File: blackjackandhookers.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
blackjackandhookers.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>54216107
why there are shitton of linux distros instead of having everyone working on slackware?
>>
>>54214706
Usually I end up using a mixture of bash, perl, and python. It's pretty easy to interface between them in any practical *nix system. There are just certain things that are funner/easier to do in different languages. I do data science so it's just cleaning up data streams, and sending them to scripts that do stats bullshit on it, so you usually got your bash script just doing the overall driving, Usually use perl for string nonsense, n looping n stuff because it's just easier imo. And then after everything's nice n clean i just toss it to python cos you can just import w/e usually for me pandas numpy n matplotlib, and do whatever you want with your shiny munged shit.
>>
>>54216537
now you are just plain retard.
>>
File: 1391639182588.jpg (121 KB, 612x1000) Image search: [Google]
1391639182588.jpg
121 KB, 612x1000
>>54214706
>yfw the background is DWM artifacts
>>
>>54216149
that's what i keep thinking. problem is i am both an aspiring webnigger and a cis white male. i hear things about the Ruby community that i never want to experience myself. then Python still seems a good choice for web dev as well as the fact it has other uses... right?
>>
Who is going to decide what language should stand, and why should I listen to him? Why shouldn't it be me, why can't I decide what language is going to be the only scripting language?
>>
>>54214706
Perl dates back to last century when Fedoras were fashionable
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.