[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Router for Under $100?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 71BlQ9DLUUL._SL1500_[1].jpg (68 KB, 1500x1037) Image search: [Google]
71BlQ9DLUUL._SL1500_[1].jpg
68 KB, 1500x1037
Hey /g/, so I am been looking around for a new router to replace my e4200 v1. We've had it for a while, and I think at this point it is starting to fail. I've used some third party software to keep it lively and managed to breath new life into it, but the increase in internet speed along with the laptops, media devices, and computers is starting to strain it badly.

I've been searching around on google and so far I haven't found anything that quite tops Netgear R6220-100NAS 1200AC. It seems to fit nicely with what I need (decent wifi range, newer wifi protocols, able to keep up with internet speed of 100mbps) as well as cutting out what we don't use (mostly USB storage) which makes me perfectly fine with a USB 2.0 port.

I wanted to double check with you guys to see if you had any recommendations I should check on before going through with the purchase.
>>
>>54214205
buffalo routers are good
>>
>>54214298

I completely forgot about buffalo. Thanks for the reminder. I'll google those while waiting on the thread.
>>
tp-link routers are good and cheap, and even better if you install openwrt on them
>>
>>54214351

I actually have the TP-LinkAC1750 Archer C7 open in another tab, but I was reading some reports of flaky Wi-Fi signals, which made me a bit hesitant.
>>
whats the best router money can buy period?
>>
>>54214375
if you don't mind using openwrt (it's not very easy to use, afaiu, but it's OK if you know how to use any linux distro), try doing some research on it in the forums or asking in the IRC channel #openwrt @ irc.freenode.net

IIRC, buffalo router use openwrt...
>>
>>54214378

With several review sites as well as having Amazon tabbed for best reviews, I typically see these guys over and over:

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)

Asus RT-AC88U Dual-Band Router

Linksys WRT AC 1900 Smart Wi-Fi Router

D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router

No particular order. But these names get thrown around over and over. They are from $150ish to close to $300.

>>54214418

I am fine with openwrt, I actually flashed me current e4200 with DD-WRT. I can't remember when I was researching if openwrt has a guest network ability or not though. That could be pretty handy.
>>
find a router that supports shibby tomato that is in your budget.
>>
File: 81dh2zg04XL._SL1500_[1].jpg (138 KB, 1500x1269) Image search: [Google]
81dh2zg04XL._SL1500_[1].jpg
138 KB, 1500x1269
>>54214378

Actually, let me correct myself. I saw this guy. He looks like he might gain sentience:

ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security
by Asus

He costs like $330.
>>
>>54214506

$375. My bad. There was another guy next to him that cost $330.

>>54214482
I'll look through his supported list, see if there is anything worth upgrading to. Thanks.
>>
>>54214205
I'm using the Netgear WNDR4300, works great. can handle multiple streams at once while on wifi. Im running about 8 wireless devices and 2 wired, only had it drop ~2 times in the year and a half I've owned it. What you posted seems like an upgraded model of mine, in which case I say go for it.

The gateway is meh, but you shouldn't be in there much anyways.
>>
>>54214535

I actually had that exact router opened for comparison for some weird reason. I guess it was within budget and I was looking at it. Yeah, really, I just scanned through the shibby distro and unfortunately he seems to have older routers in his supported list, so that's no good there. Open-WRT has a huge list, but the table has less info, so it's harder to sort through.
>>
>>54214466
I have the R7000 NightHawk. It's a tank. 5/6 phones, 3-4 computers, smart TV, Apple TV, people coming over daily, etc. Never fails. With a 100mb connection it can tank through everything.
>>
>>54214506
That looks like the icecrown citadel from fucking WoW

Probably a huge meme. I wouldn't buy it based only on price.

Research it bro
>>
Any way you go make sure your router supports a firmware like the ones listed here, dd-wrt, tomato, or pfsense. You may also find ones that have enough power to support linux firewall distros like untangle or ipcop, also good choices.

I've been on an asus RT-N16 for almost 7 years now with dd-wrt mega, zero problems. Just FYI most of these firmwares are shit if you only have the bare minimum of memory. First experience was with dd-wrt on a linksys WRT54GL and it would kill itself half the time if you tried to admin over HTTP.
Stock on these routers are and have been and always will be shit especially when they leave features on and wide open and you have no clue.

sort by under your budget, gigabit + open firmware support + more than 128mb of ram = great tier
>>
>>54214680

Yeah, I was just answering the anon's question in regards to best router with no regards to price. It seems like it's way up there.

>>54214679
Yeah, unfortunately it is a bit out of my price range. I put those 5 guys there because an anon was asking for the best router if money was no issue. But hey, at least you got one of the best routers on the market right now.
>>
>>54214205
Banana Pi Router with Gentoo
>>
>>54214506
looks ridiculous. >>54214466
>NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)
>Asus RT-AC88U Dual-Band Router
>Linksys WRT AC 1900 Smart Wi-Fi Router
>D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router
>>54214506
all of these look ridiculous. isnt there something more like the pic you posted in your op?
>>
>>54214756

If you are the anon who was asking for the best routers out there so far with no regards to a budget, these guys seem to be the best. I know they have that hexbug shape that seems to router makers seem to think makes their routers look futuristic, but those 5 seem to be usually regarded as top working routers. It's not a perfect list, only a few minutes of researching since I knew these were out of my budget, but I figured I'd give it to you to have a starting point with.
>>
>>54214715

Damn, what kind of internet speeds do you have that this guy has been able to keep up for the past 7 years, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>54214205

I actually have that exact router, and have had it for a week in a half (after my old Asus RT-N56 crapped its pants and died). So far so good. I get full gigabit transfer speeds when using ethernet, wifi strength is decent (when I use it; all the rooms in my house are wired with Cat 6 though, so it isn't that often), and it handles my 100 Mbps internet service fine.
>>
>>54215051

That's great to hear. My biggest worry is Wi-fi strength. E4200 is dying, so when you get too far away, your speeds hit like a 30%-50% drop, while the router I borrowed can keep the speeds near like 95% even with a huge increase in distance.
>>
>>54214715
I'm the anon that mentioned Shibby.
rocking my rt-n16 also. With shibby I can't find anything it can't do with a few clicks in the web interface. I agree with you on the old adage of "software sells hardware" when it comes to routers.
>>
>>54214375
I use the Archer C7. I haven't had any issues with the Wi-Fi signals, although I openly admit I don't have a device that accesses the AC signal.
>>
>>54214756
the stock firmware on the wrt 1900 ac sucks, and the dd-wrt and open rt builds for it break the 5g allot. Too bad really, the specs are insane for a router.
>>
>>54215100
Again. I also upgraded the router's firmware first thing.

Also, have fun accessing the firmware if you're using Linux Mint. I wound up having to borrow my friend's laptop for 5 minutes just to be able to access the settings (although it's also possible to do through the iPhone and android phones).

Oh, and their customer support is Chinese, and it's very obvious that their grasp on the english language is tenuous at best. They aren't dicks, but when they ask what OS you're using, and you say, "Linux," it's very clear that they have no fucking clue what that is.
>>
>>54214375

The wifi is pretty bad. I tried all sorts of things like fucking around with the channels, and power, but my house still had a few dead zones which my old shitty router from 2009 covered.

In the end I had to buy a wifi repeater
>>
>>54215170
Which version do you have? I have Version 2, and don't have that problem (and its even in a corner of my house).
>>
>>54215100
>>54215170

Damn. I do see that the C9 is on sale, pushing it at $109 and people seem to love this thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDLRHFW?ie=UTF8&tag=small0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00PDLRHFW

It seems like it might be the perfect upgrade to C7, and seeing as the C7 was the main competitor to the one I had in my OP (Netgear R6220), the C9 seems to beat it by quite a bit. I'm a bit tempted to grab this C9.
>>
>>54215195
Sure. Do what makes you happy. Besides, Amazon has a good return policy if you aren't happy with it.

I have no experience with the C9, but the C7 was the perfect price point and future-proofed well enough to make it worth the investment.

Make sure to come back in the future and let us know what you think of your investment.
>>
>>54215195
Thanks for doing all this research OP, I was lurking and went ahead and bought a C9. Cheers.
>>
>>54215343

Well it is settled. I am buying the C9. Has 128MB RAM, third party compatible, good reviews (and a lot of reviews to add to that), $10 over budget but for what I get, I can live with that. Seems like all this, and I (hopefully) hit a good compromise. I will report back to you guys when I write the review for Amazon. Two birds one stone. Hopefully someone from this thread will be there, but regardless, I'll put it on here when I get the chance, so maybe someone else can benefit from what I learn about this router.

>>54215343

Hey my pleasure man. If you were in the same market as I was, and what I wanted out of my router aligned with yours, then hey, I am happy to help. Hopefully we made a good buy.

Thank you everyone for your input. I tried my best to merge it together, and I think it came out pretty successfully.
>>
Buy a SFF PC on Ebay or craigslist and install pfsense.
>>
>>54215524

Would their network card be able to support a network the same way a router could?
>>
File: 1451189211494.png (79 KB, 359x359) Image search: [Google]
1451189211494.png
79 KB, 359x359
pfsense
>>
>>54214205
xiaomi mini router
>>
>>54214298
afaik Buffalo and Mikrotik are the only consumer grade companies that never come rolled with wide open security holes (service ports, TR-069, hardcoded knock sequences and the like)

Cisco, asus, tp-link, netgear, belkin/linksys are like swiss cheese against a knowledgeable adversary
>>
WiTi board if you are a DIY guy
>>
This thread almost died twice today, who the fuck keeps bumping it?
>>
Netgear n150 costs $30 at any Wal-Mart.

Mines been going strong for 3 years now.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.