[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
STEM -> STEAM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 11
File: 1461454089517.png (20 KB, 458x138) Image search: [Google]
1461454089517.png
20 KB, 458x138
Thoughts?
>>
>>54194407
no fuck arts leave them out of this
my STEM department gets priority registration for the next semester a week before those cucks
>>
File: 1433569306997.jpg (190 KB, 1070x898) Image search: [Google]
1433569306997.jpg
190 KB, 1070x898
>>
just seems like another way for SJWs to squeeze their fat landwhale asses into the tech field.
do. not. want.
>>
File: DSCN1699.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1699.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>54194418
Bringing art to the fold within mathmatically sound engineering is great.
Well I am an Architectural Engineer so I see the two clash quite well.
>>
No. The arts are subjective. STEM is objective. They make no sense in a group.
>>
I could see architecture but not arts as a whole.
>>
>>54194407
arts covers a range of trades that need a portfolio more than a degree. If you can't motivate yourself to make a body of work without a college pushing you then you probably can't hack it in an arts-based profession anyhow.
>>
>>54194407
One of these things is not like the other.

Fucking humanities and arts students have no god damn place with the sciences. This is just more liberal feel-good bullshit pushed by universities for whatever reasons their agendas have for it.
>>
File: the trash man.gif (2 MB, 269x325) Image search: [Google]
the trash man.gif
2 MB, 269x325
>>54194407
have fun marketing your rectangular grey boxes to a public who cares more about spectacle than they ever will specs

have fun designing guis that look like they come from windows 3.1 and are borderline unusable to the average man

have fun living in a world without ad men and sitting on thousands of units of unsold, unadvertised merchandise

have fun creating computers that look and feel like shit because engineers don't understand human psychology on their lives

have fun making video games that lowest common denominator trash because nobody with an artist vision came along and made them better

have fun having all your programs designed by committees instead of passionate leaders with a vision for the world who wants to make your products better

have fun trying to ignore the very discipline that keeps the masses entertained while the scientists can do the real work without interference from the retarded public

because artists are vital to the world, like it or not, and ignoring them is ignoring many of the foundations we build our society on - freedom of expression, and freedom of happiness.

a world designed by engineers would be hellish. i suggest you be glad that artists make it better.
>>
>>54194407
Arts and appreciation of them are a hobby. A damn good one, but they are not objective.

This just reeks of some dumbass art major wondering why they don't have a job.
>>
>>54194430
> geology
>>
>>54195679
>what is oil
Geologists are essential for modern life in the 21st century
>>
>>54194407
the arts are actually present in math, some proofs are undeniably elegant
>>
>>54195725
i thought that was more petroleum engineering
>>
>>54195725
we're moving away from oil, and we don't exactly need a deeper understanding of it.
>>
>>54195323
isn't this true for software dev as well?
>>
>>54195725
geologists don't study the oil; they study rocks.

all of these fields have viable career paths if you're willing to leave your mom's basement. it's a null point for 90% of the people in this thread to be comparing or debating academic disciplines.
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68 KB, 305x196
>>54195788
>Moving away from oil

Not even the person you are quoting but holy shit what planet do you live on? You obviously don't even know what a petroleum geologist does.
>>
I see what they're going fore with STEAM, but they should have done design or marketing instead of art. Art totally just makes it seem like it's shoving sjws into the mix.
>>
>>54195323
>the one intlligent answer ITT

>>54194436
>most likely. it reads like a game of "one of these things is not like the other" also kys
>>
>>54195527
(+you) for narrowly targeted autist bait
>>
>>54195772
As a geologist/geophysicist, you are correct, engineers are far more integral than any sort of geoscientist.
Development/production > exploration

Also fuck the industry impossible to get hired if you're not a cute girl.
>>
whats the point of having the term if it just includes everything, could just say education at that point
>>
>>54195819
we've spent more on renewable energy research and power generation this year than we've spent on oil. more cars run on electricity than ever and the adoption rate itself is accelerating. there will always be a need for oil, just as there is always a need for some people who can fix a typewriter and shoe a horse, but the notion that this is a growth field is simply wrong.

finding oil fields will indeed become more difficult, but that doesn't mean it's a field people should set their sights on; it just means that the work will become more speculative, and the primary criterion of that tier chart seems to be to avoid speculative, risky bets.
>>
>>54195819
Not him (geosciencefag here), but pray tell, what does a petroleum geologist do, and why dare they integral to modern life?
>>
>>54194407
What's the point of categorization if it's all inclusive?
>>
>tfw majored in physics so everyone is subordinate to you

how does it feel on your end?
>>
>>54195805
yeah, it does, and the same applies for software devs. programming isn't really STEM, it's a functional trade or skill, not a science. It's like getting a degree in soldering or general contracting. there's a reason trade schools are popping up everywhere calling themselves "hacker bootcamps" to avoid the stigma of being a trade school.
>>
Lol, no.
>We want to be noticed too, so we're going to steal your acronym now k thx.
>>
>>54195890
it feels exactly like when an autistic person makes a joke and the entire group looks around uncomfortably while he laughs.
>>
>>54195890
>not mathematics
haha sure bud
>>
>>54195912
>>54195916
about what i expected (incoherent whining), thanks
>>
>>54195845
what this mean senpai?
>>
>>54195869
>We've spent more on R&D in a less mature and emerging field! that means everyone will be using muh green en-r-gee!
lel
>>
>>54195890
are there any jobs outside of academia and research labs?
>>
>>54195890

What do you do now?
>>
>>54195945
physics guy
>>
>>54195927
>he thinks mathematics is subordinate to physics
it's like his thesis was on string theory or something
>>
>>54195916
>>54195890
what are your criteria? isn't the whole point of capitalism that everyone study and become experts in something that they're especially suited to?

like there are athletes and actors who have clearly made the right choices for themselves, and similarly petroleum engineers and whatnot who have made similarly right calls.

Obviously not on /g/, where a bunch of NEET losers bitch and nitpick about which field is the most patrician of them all (hint: it's always theirs), but out there in the world.

The best field is the one you enjoy and do so well in that people will pay you to continue to be excellent in that field. If you like archaeology and someone's willing to pay you to go dig up archaeological remains, then you've done better than the petroleum engineer who begrudgingly pursued that field of study because otherwise he worried he couldn't put food on the table.
>>
>>54195960
Mad Mathematician
>>
>>54195527

80% of things you mentioned are done by UX Designers

people that design the user experience of applications/products

how to make process and actions more easy to understand, how to deliver messages in the shortest amount of time, how to play with visual elements to focus the user attention on important things

all of this things made from tangible knowledge about human response to different stimuli, visual or else, an UX designer can't just decide that a phone will be blue with yellow and have a triangle shape and be the best phone on the planet

instead the UX designer set the parameters for the optimal phone, from which a artist positioned lower on the chain of command can "go wild" within the precise, backed by data, analysis and testing, parameters given by the UX designer

some artists know UX design, those are the most useful, as free art itself, not being delivered as a feature within a product or service, has no real value outside it's value creating through marketing, then yet again a marketeer is not an artist, but a person that knows how to make people want a product/service, or in this case a piece of art.

those so called "succesful artists" are not artists, but UX designers/marketeers that employ art a subset skills to improve their service/products.

As pure art by itself has very little to no economical value, as evidenced by those working at starbucks or other minimal skill jobs that majored in a degree that did not give them skills that would allow them to exercise a well paid profession applying the skills they learned
>>
>>54195941
let me show you:
>>54195988
now do you understand?
>>
>>54195870
No that anon you're replying to but our energy infrastructure is massive and there are very few petroleum scientists as is, to the point where even if oil started declining twice as fast there'd still be room for more. Most petroleum engineers make 6 figures, easily.
Even in the worst case scenario of America and Europe totally ditching oil, there's still HUGE demand for such engineers in developing economies like China, India, and Africa.
>>
>>54196017
>China, India, and Africa

hopefully those would be remote positions
>>
>>54196017
not a petrol scientist but separating lipids ain't nothing to fuck with. it's the reason most olive oil sold commercially is only about 20% pure. shit is hard to analyze accurately.
>>
>>54196017
Well that's the point, engineers are in demand, not geologists. They are absolutely not interchangeable. Also the crash has fucked all petroleum fields, but geology/geophysics far harder than petroleum engineering. Also development in China, India, and Africa is largely irrelevant to US students as by and large Petroleum companies hire internationals for international work. Only way to get into an international project as an American is to have years of experience.

Needless to say I deeply regret becoming a geoscientist.
>>
>>54195679

if you live in a country where oil, gas and or mining is the main source of money, you will drown in dosh
>>
>>54194407
STEAM is GOAT.

STEM is bullshit when you have no perspective.
>>
File: bait (3).jpg (23 KB, 478x373) Image search: [Google]
bait (3).jpg
23 KB, 478x373
>>54196305
>>
>>54196114
Not right now. Petroleum is in the shitter and no sign of getting better anytime soon, and even if it does go up there are so many experienced people who've been laid off it'll be a bitch to get into it. Mining? Even worse, it's been in the shitter for years now with absolutely no sign of getting better at all, much worse than petroleum, commodities pricing are low as fuck and demand is decreasing.

t. unemployed geophysicist
>>
>>54196339
Seriously if you're in college DO NOT go into geoscience. It is a shit field. Petroleum is fucked, Academia is hard, competitive as fuck, requires PhD, post docs, years of work all for very little pay, hydro and environmental are already overcrowded and have low pay plus all the people who can't get into petroleum are doing hydro and environmental as a plan B because it's a simpler version of the same shit....
If you must, go petroleum engineering. Overall though if I had to do it again I'd go engineering, much better career prospects and less retarded bullshit.

Or just math or physics or computational science.

Or honestly fuck it just do whatever you enjoy, it doesn't matter what the alleged career prospects or salaries for your field are, you can end up fucked and unemployed regardless. So at least that way since you realize you're fucked and give up on life, at least you'll have had fun doing shit you enjoy.
>>
>>54196381
Hell, better yet, don't even go to college at all it's a waste of fucking money. Just go get the highest paying job possible without a degree (probably some kind of manual labor) work hard as fuck as much as possible (overtime pay fuck yes) live as cheap as possible or free if you can (with parents) hoard all your money and invest, become a capitalist. Fuck being a wage slave. Just because you're highly educated and maybe even fairly highly paid doesn't make you any less a wageslave.
>>
>>54196410
>Just go get the highest paying job possible without a degree (probably some kind of manual labor) work hard as fuck as much as possible
>Fuck being a wage slave
>>
>>54195988
Your idea that art has no value is false, as evidenced by the billions of dollars pumped into tourism each year just to see the culture of the country which creates the art.

Art creates culture, and culture is a very powerful force for society.

Your ideals about economics seem to come from the assumption that humans are rational. They're not. They like pretty things. You can either change the world, or change yourself.
>>
>>54196410
I know this is bait but:
I bet you're voting for bernie you fucking hippy
>>
>>54196445
not the person you (+you)'d. however: art isn't valueless, but you don't need a fucking degree to do it. you need a body of work, talent, and loads of practice to make it a living though. it also isn't directly related enough to STEM to warrant the addition of a letter.
>>
>>54196435
Being a wages lave temporarily while you gain capital, rather than gaining a bunch of debt in hopes of in the future being able wages lave your way into paying it off and only then maybe being able to start accumulating capital with no guarantee you have any better earning potential than you did 6-8 years and $10k-$100k of debt earlier.

>>54196459
It's not bait and how would that make me a hippy bernie voter? To be clear I am advocating capitalism, temporary wage slave is but a necessary step to accumulate initial capital which will later do the work and provide a livable passive income so you can become free of the rat race.

Anyway I'm voting for Trump.
>>
>>54194430
Someone explain to me,without memes,what the fuck women's studies are supposed to be
>>
>>54196381
>Or honestly fuck it just do whatever you enjoy,
this. i studied anthropology as an undergrad. i loved it. i excelled in it. i'm doing work i love now and i'm getting paid well for it.

even i have to admit it seemed retardedly myopic to study anthro at the time (although i ended up double majoring at the last minute, only because i was taking so many CS courses that i ended up satisfying the requirements), but if you're good enough at what you love to do, someone will almost certainly pay you to do it.

Obviously, the cutoff is different in different fields (you may only need to be in the top 50% to be employable as an engineer, but you need to be in the top 0.1% to be employable as an actor), but that's part of the function you optimize for. do the thing that you enjoy the most for which you think you can be sufficiently good to get paid doing it.
>>
>>54196474
Yes I realise I'm fucking stupid for arguing with a random person on the internet when I don't need their validation.

I believe I will quit now.
>>
File: elf laughing.gif (1021 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
elf laughing.gif
1021 KB, 400x400
>arts
>>
>>54195293
Graphic design and product design count as well

>>54195945
Well maybe in the semiconductor industry, but having physics alone isn't going to help you. I suggest you take take coding/programming, CAD/CAE/CAM and maybe a certificate in OSH and NDT while you're still at school. Shit is expensive for an outsider
>>
>Yeah, mathematics! Technology! Science

>oh fuck this stuff is actually hard

>yay arts! yay humanities!

Sociology
Teaching
English
Arts
Mexicans
>>
>>54194430
Chem E bros WW@
>>
>>54196520

>tax men

>use taxes to pay women

>to decide how to tax men more

There's a reason they call it "Women, Infants, and Children"
>>
>>54196516
>Anyway I'm voting for Trump.
you didn't need to announce it, we figured from the rest of your writing.

>>54196520
ostensibly it's something about the role of women in society over the course of history. just in CS there has been some interesting shit (like how women used to be the ones that operated the first computers, and now it's perceived/is actually a mostly male field), and i bet there's shit like that (not necessarily a reversal, but something to think/write about) in every field, in every decade, going back hundreds of years.

i'm not saying it's interesting to me (or that it has to be interesting to you), to be clear. i'm just saying that it doesn't faze me even a little that there's a metric fuckton of writing about women in various cultures through history, and it makes sense that all those people would rather be in one department than scattered between econ/psych/anthro/sociology/english/???? where they'd all be kind of peripheral.
>>
Reminds me I have a question for you /g/ooks. Which option sounds more worthwhile / practical: double major into two BSs of physics and electrical engineering or a single major electrical engineering into one masters?
>>
>>54196524
Yep. I took some ceramics and sculpture classes on a whim in undergrad, I was quite good at it and enjoyed it immensely. Several different professors suggested I switched majors. Of course I didn't because my field (geology) offered far better pay, and though I didn't exactly enjoy it neither did I dislike it. And now here I am unemployed with really no career prospects and having spent the last 6 years doing mostly stuff I didn't care about. Had I become a sculpture major I would have had a much more enjoyable time, and probably had a job of some sort, even if it didn't pay a whole lot... But I'd enjoy doing it in any case.

Chasing pay isn't worth it, since you cannot predict the future and potential salaries are no guarantee of anything.
You only get one life, don't waste it on things you don't care about.
>>
>>54196584
a master's. people don't value two bachelor's degrees unless you're going for grad school.

i'm a graduate student with two bachelor's degrees; the second degree only really helped me get into grad school - everywhere else i had to choose one to be my "first foot forward", and the second degree became secondary/ancillary.
>>
>>54196574
>you didn't need to announce it, we figured from the rest of your writing.
I only included it because I was responding to someone suggesting that I was voting for Bernie, which I found to be rather odd considering, as you noticed, that what I wrote suggested otherwise in my reckoning.
>>
>>54196584

physics is worthless

do E.E. , and do it well
>>
>>54196584
I'd suggest BS physics into MS electrical engineering. Physics is more general but incredibly useful and leaves you more options for graduate degrees, and nothing you learn in an undergrad EE education is particularly difficult to pick up (as a physicist) to the degree you would need it for grad school.
>>
Engineering is an art.
>>
>>54196603
the bait worked
>>
>>54196584
>not doing a double degree
have fun in the burbs with a mortgage you cant afford and your 1.9 kids
>>
>>54194407
fuck arts, no free riding for them.

if anything, it should become STEMM by adding medicine.
>>
>>54194407
Remove art
Remove technology
Add history

SHEM
>>
>>54196630
But was it worth it? Did you experience pleasure for your efforts?
>>
>>54196602
Good to hear that. I figured in terms of vocation pursuiting post-grad would be the only part which makes a difference.
>>54196617
Based on other knowledge I've collected most of the physics needed for engineering is taught either along the way or as part of your engineering program so I suppose I agree. In that regard I also just like learning and kind of wanted to figure out whether learning physics (or mathematics) outside of the realm of engineering is worthwhile.
>>54196622
That's an idea I didn't initially consider. The initial question was just weighing the engineering programs offered by the two schools I'm most likely to attend. One is a five year masters degree program specifically for electrical engineering and the other is a five year double major program where the first three is for a BS in either mathematics or physics, and that transitions into a two year program with another local (more specialized for STEM work) school for a BS in an engineering field of choice.
>>54196643
Do you figure? I mean the possibility to return to school does exist if I need to. I don't really understand the potential for growth as an engineer in general. I just find the science and application of it fascinating.
>>
>>54196676
>not MESH
>>
>>54196410
As a guy that worked manual labour for the last 4 years I can tell you that this is horrible advice.

1. Labour work is very hard on your body. Most of the guys I worked with over 30 had really bad backs and knees. That's almost universal.

2. It's also dangerous as fuck. Construction industries around the world have the highest rate of deaths after military. You can get run over by machinery, trucks etc. Fall off railings, sides of buildings etc. Not only that but you have a myriad of dangerous chemicals and materials that could kill you, not just immediately but in the coming decades (cancers from concrete powder, asbestos etc.)

3. When you exhaust your body all you want to do is sleep after work. I get up at 5, travel an hour and by 7am I'm working. Often I'm working until 5, somedays till 7 or later.

that 10-12hrs of my life I've lost and will never get back. And that's every day. All my old friend are doing easy cool jobs making bank and they're aways partying on weekends. When my weekends come all I want to do is sleep.

4. People treat you like shit. If you work as manual labour you are the bottom feeder, you are at the bottom of the food chain. You are generally the lowest educated and the least valuable to society. No one cares if you fall off a building unless there's legal repercussions.

5. Robot's will be taking most of teh labour jobs in the next 20 years. Guaranteed.

6. It's boring as fuck to do labour work. My mind and brain feel neglected youll starve for knowledge in a job where thinking is irrelevant and unnecessary.
>>
>>54194430
Can we please add an Elder God tier and put Data science there
>>
>>54196858
>As a guy that worked manual labour for the last 4 years I can tell you that this is horrible advice.
As a Labor guy that's been doing it for longer than that, I agree with all of your points, however:
>2. It's also dangerous as fuck.
Manufacturing. You won't find a safer physical labor job than manufacturing. Unless you're working for a bottom tier manufacturer making minimum wage, they all want to keep OSHA way the fuck away from their plants and thus go to obscene lengths to keep the workplace safe.

>4. People treat you like shit.
Once again, manufacturing is a super friendly environment (for the most part). People there are just as tired and crabby as you are and bonding is second nature.

>5. Robot's will be taking most of teh labour jobs in the next 20 years. Guaranteed.
There's a LOT of physical labor that CANNOT be automated.
Product defects, for example, either need 20 hours of training for a standard person OR near to a million dollars spent developing and testing a system to detect them, and it still won't be as good as a single person looking them over.
My job right now is manufacturing custom window screens. Every part can't have more than a dent or two, or a very small scratch. The mesh cloth can't have any dents, pinches, scratches, dropped wires, voids, spliced wires, or stitches in it.
Dents need to be replaced, scratches painted (if they're small enough), cloth needs to be replaced, spline needs to be replaced.

Oh, and the screens themselves can't be automated because of the process of checking the cloth, pressing the metal cloth into place, then checking the cloth to make sure it doesn't push out from the spline.
The fiberglass cloth rolling machines /might/ be able to be replaced but again, it would be a million dollars poured into R&D or one person being trained for a week.

Some jobs just can't be automated, not without either infinite resources or infinite energy.
>>
>>54196858
>As a guy that worked manual labour for the last 4 years I can tell you that this is horrible advice.
you don't have to have done manual labor for 4 years to know that. i swept docks for a year and that was enough.

everyone should have a shitty backbreaking job though - ideally early on in their lives (if only so they don't actually break their backs doing the work). as a phd student in cs now, sweeping docks and selling vacuums door to door really made me appreciate sitting in a well-ventilated, dust-free, coolly AC-controlled space just working on mentally puzzling challenges.

i don't think most cs people really appreciate how good their work is.
>>
Not art as a whole, but only architecture and design. Music and painting doesn't really fit in.
>>
>>54194440
Functional and efficient designs tend to look great too. But I agree, most of the best scientists in the world were great artists too.
However, STEM excludes the arts for a reason. If the arts were included in STEM then there wouldn't be any distinction.
>>
>>54197995
what are you saying? who are you replying to?
>>
>>54195250
/thread
>>
>>54196676
might as well add
Alchemy Linguistics Esoteric
>>
>>54194407
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>54198411
NO

NO
>>
Please leave arts and humanities out of your STEM circlejerk. We don't want anything to do with you.
>>
>>54198579
are you seriously not understanding sarcasm right now?
>>
>>54198587
did you seriously not think about what the acronym spells?
>>
>>54194407
>Adding Arts to STEM, as though this will magically make the arts majors more employable

Come on, now.
>>
File: 1458597795642.png (128 KB, 399x268) Image search: [Google]
1458597795642.png
128 KB, 399x268
>>54194407
>>
>>54198604
I think the idea is to get STEM people to believe the arts are important, but this is retarded. i appreciate the arts more than most people in this thread seem to, but adding it to the STEM group isn't the right tactic to prove the worth of the arts to STEM folks.
>>
>>54194430
>Law above Economics and Business
>>
>>54195527
UX is a meme. Literally no company (including Microsoft, Apple, Google etc) cares about UX. Read last years's Microsoft inside. They made this shitty "Metro" UI because it looked the as n the PowerPoint presentations.
Or how they kept cmd unchanged for years because they are afraid that it will break some legacy shit. Which made them create PowerShell and later, port Bash.
Or how windows 10 has 3 different clock setting windows.
>>
>>54198057
To the thread you retard.
>>
>>54196676
SHEM on you.
>>
>>54194430
>economics and business studies
>low tier
>not the most rewarding career path possible

The truth is, law and quantitative finance are the real deal.
>>
>>54199615
So you're saying that you approve of including architecture and design, but not art as a whole?

is it that hard to write a complete sentence? Your original post was like the partially aborted fetus of a thought. It was as though we just overheard a trailing thought in your head that managed to find its way on the screen.
>>
STEM is entirely based on the objective, and is heavily concerned with the scientific method. If your findings cannot be objectively verified and tested, your findings aren't with shit. This is why people laugh at Sociology and Psychology, because they're not scientific, no matter how much they claim to be. It's just subjective interpretation of data and making conclusions based upon those interpretations.

Art is inherently subjective. It does not fit with the theme of objectivity and the scientific method.
>>
>>54200323
t. jew
>>
Art student here.
I don't want your autistic shit fucking with mine anymore than you want mine with yours
>>
>>54194407
Why would you possibly want to add art? So you can say more women are going into STE(A)M?
>>54196676
>adding history
why
>>
is there anything a really mediocre person can do at uni that can work into a career
doing phil & english atm and its good fun but its not going to get me anywhere and don't think i'm smart enough to take anything else
>>
>>54199214
Just because big mafia companies don't care about it doesn't mean it isn't worth caring about.
>>
>>54194407
>Thoughts?
arts has no place in STEM since you can't get employment.
>>
>>54201164
Arts can be in (A) so its not necessary, but arts can teach good practice in almost any field, such as a ~ e ~ s ~ t ~ h ~ e ~ t ~ i ~ c ~ s and other more abstract stuff like, pansexualism or transqueerism etc. ;^)
>>
>>54194407
The whole point of STEM is to exclude arts and similar bs studies. Why should it be included?
>>
File: steam-logo-font.png (57 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
steam-logo-font.png
57 KB, 640x640
>>54194407
Steam is pretty cool.
>>
It doesn't matter which major you take, there are no jobs available.
>>
>>54194407
One of these things
is not like the others
one of these things
is not like it's brothers
one of these things does not belong
can you find what it is before I finish this song?
>>
Art is valuable when it means actually creating aesthetically motivated artwork-visual, written, auditory.

Art is not being instructed to write an essay on the white hetero-patriarchy.
>>
>>54202242
Engineering because is the only field that's worth while
>>
>>54194430
Polsci and music should be one tier higher
>>
The defining characteristic of STEM is that there is an objective right answer and this can be found and proven correct. It consists entirely of things that can be quantified and measured. Arts do not belong in the same category because they're inherently subjective.

This is of course why people want to promote the arts, they're either not smart enough to do the math or unwilling to accept that their feelings aren't facts or evidence, so they want a field where feelings are all there is and everything is fuzzy and up for argument, so they can always say "well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Such fields, and people who specialize in them, have their uses, but they are not in any way shape or form related to STEM.
>>
Mathematics makes science.
Science makes engineering.
Engineering makes technology.
Technology makes memes.
>>
>>54194407
fuck no ill put med/law/business long fucking before i put the fucking arts int that mix
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 900x948
>>54194407
>>54194407
Daily reminder that any civilized society needs artists and thinkers

Daily reminder that stem autists are good for little more than being worker bees, cogs in the capitalist system

Daily reminder that these days most jobs take a degree in anything as long as you have relevant work experience. Most graduates in the U.S. work in a different field than what their degree is.

Only retarded boomers think hurr durr ur degree = what you do
>>
>>54194407
should be SATE
Do we really need mathematics greater than what Science and engineering provide?
>>
>>54202897
>Music
No.
>>
I never understood why arts students get so mad when it comes to STEM. It's not like they couldn't have picked a STEM major when they went to college, they literally chose not to.
>>
>>54196584
do a BS in EE
then poise yourself in your company so that they pay for you to get your masters.

You learn most practical physics in an Engineering degree. i had to take mechanics statics dynamics and themo-fluids for my EE degree. along side quantum physics. Add on all the electrophysics bullshit like EMF and you leave college with almost /too/ much knowledge.

Plus a physics degree doesnt show you how to use physics. It just teaches you how to prove it. so unless you want to be a researcher or teacher, its a waste
>>
>>54194407
Honestly thought this was an anti-gaming thread
>>
>>54196746
>I don't really understand the potential for growth as an engineer in general.
its pretty much this:
entry engineer
mid
senior
subsystem manager
project manager
project manager's manager
it taps out at $200k, though. Past that you're gonna need to own your own business
>>
>>54203350
>implying memes arnt an art
>>
>>54204054
Or just go into sales and earn exponentially more :^)
>>
>>54204126
>implying anyone on /g/ has the social skills to sell something

hardy har har
>>
>>54195250
Mathematical models are empirical approximations to observable phenomena. Everything you know is wrong.
>>
>>54200361
while he didn't restate the question i immediately got what he was talking about because it had no specific quote which means the thread so don't be a dick o-okay
>>
>>54196410
lmao that just worked for your dad, when living standards were far cheaper than they are today and labor was secured through unionship. Incidentally, since there was plenty of governemnt grants, high education was extremely accessible to everyone without being knees deep into debt.

Currently, you might as well get stuck doing manual labor for fucking ever. Even overtime pay is but a mere possibility depending on your luck. Thanks to people like you, by the way, who pour their faith into the hands of an uncaring elite in hopes that some of their wealth and power will trickle down to you if you generate enough profit for your boss.
>>
STEM is specifically to distinguish from arts, why the fuck are they trying to wedge themselves in
>>
>>54194407
narrow arts down to graphic design
>>
>>54204306
To get a slice of the funding.
Also, they don't like the division, so they want to make it meaningless.
>>
>>54204494
narrow graphic design down to just design desu

design is objective in every way
>>
The point of STEM is that it rejects all fields that do not offer immediate technological progress (art and social sciences).
Is there anything not included by STEAM?
>>
>>54194436
it would shut them up about "men/women in stem" statistics
>>
>>54195527
This is design not art. Design is easily quanitfiable. I can easily tell you why windows 10 looks like shit, but not why I like a particular painting more than others.

Also umad
>>
>>54204543
That's completely fucking stupid.

I couldn't expect less from an arts major
>>
>>54195752
Art can emerge from science, not the other way around
>>
>>54195897
I'd argue that, while I agree with your assessment, logic and math are indeed science and thus some programming is also by extension
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.