[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw i'm too dumb to learn a programming language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (640 B, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
image.png
640 B, 124x125
>>
>>54187333
No, you aren't. Quit whining you little bitch and go read a book.
>>
>>54187333
sorry OP, not everyone is cut out for programming

In my CS program, almost 2/3 of the class dropped out after the first year.
>>
Bro, it's not that hard. Try baby steps first. Don't jump into the Linux kernel codebase. Try making some programs that are a bit fun. Build interest first. Gradually get there.
>>
>>54187333
I taught myself how to code with a shitty "Learn Turbo Pascal in 30 days" book and a 486. tl;dr git gud.
>>
>>54187333
It's ok, anon. Did you fall for the "everyone can be a programmer" meme?
>>
>>54187333
Ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>54187333
>too dumb to learn a language that's basically an extension/shorthand version of your native language only built around math and logic
maybe you should kill yourself
>>
>>54187333
Take a look at Python. It's literal babby tier stuff that anyone can learn. No real programmer would respect you for that, but it is technically a programming language.
>>
>>54187378
>>54187451
Not this.

This is what babbys say to make themselves feel special. Anyone can learn programming, some just have to put it a little more effort and configure how you think by.. you guessed it.. learning programming.
>>
>>54187477
Can one learn to write beautiful books?
>>
File: 1461259351104.png (109 KB, 500x457) Image search: [Google]
1461259351104.png
109 KB, 500x457
>buy programming books
>can barely read a page before tuning out
>cant think of anything to program and just get bored or frustrated fast

The programmer life just isn't for some of us OP.
>>
>>54187333
>tfw I'm too smart for what I'm given to do
Are true challenges only found in low level progrmaming?
>>
>>54187333
Either become a project manager or learn to use enterprise software.
>>
You're probably not dumb, you just lack self-discipline.
>>
>>54187511
True challenges are only found in computer science.
>>
>>54187333

For this, we thank you sir.
Most people are, but they still do anyway.
>>
>>54187494
No but you don't have to be a literary scholar to have basic literacy skills.
>>
You're not too dumb, you're just too lazy op.
>>
>>54187333
So what?

Programming is a fucked up profession anyway

Just become a mechanic, a soldier or a farmer
>>
>>54187333
Start with python or java.

Really java is easiest to learn because all the major java IDE hold your hand. The all do code sugestions and proper human readable error messages.
>>
>>54187772
>IDE hold your hand

I find that IDE hand holding is terrible for a beginner programmer

Imo if you are a beginner you shouldn't even use automatic indentation or syntax highlighting

Just ude vim in vi compatibility mode without syntax coloring, nano with everything turned of or just plain old notepad.exe
>>
>>54187781

Still waiting for the day i need Calculus for a programming project.
>>
>>54187781
This

Without deep understanding of mathematics you will never be more than a miserable code monkey
>>
>>54187731
I guess OP could manage to become a code monkey. Not a fate I would wish on just anyone.
>>
>from 7 to 23 y I spend my life doing lib art meme and just being edgy
>from 13 to 23 I spend my summer and most of my free time rinding a skateboard too
>been working all kind of manual labor or freelance art stuff, been doing ok with the $$$
>got sick of all the flat meme designs and shit

>been in /g/ for 3-4 years now, so I got into chinckpad stuff and tried programming
>started with python, moved to C# and loved it, later on picked Java and learned about OOP, learned CSS HTML javascript and all the MEAN stuff, got back to python and loved it, but I sticked with js and MEAN for the $$$$
>fast forward im 25 now and even tho, I never graduated anything related to CS or have good math skills (or anything more than high school ones) I make 90k/year doing websites for a local company in my shitty town
>>
>that feel when i make 6 figures programming, i'm shit at it but everyone else is worse
thanks op
>>
>>54187876
The point is, I am retarded, and I made it.

Just don't quit, if you don't understand something the first time, go on with the stuff, and once you finish the subject, just go back and read/look that stuff that you dind't understand the first time.

And yeah, don't be lazy too. Work a LOT, once you have the basics and you find yourself good job you can chill
>>
Can you programmers draw? no? didn't think so. Just like us artfags cant program. It uses different sides of the brain and one side is always dominant.
>>
>>54187781
Study probability and statistics, that is most useful for ML than calculus.
>>
>>54188072
linear algebra as well. tis important to understand your "high dimensional" big data type things.
>>
File: 1436142564104.jpg (112 KB, 1024x721) Image search: [Google]
1436142564104.jpg
112 KB, 1024x721
The only problem I have is I don't want to read books but rather be hands on with it, Is there a good website that teaches you to program?
>>
>>54187936
If they were drawing as much as programming, they would. It's not like drawing or programming is something you are born with.
People like different things. If you really like something you don't have to force yourself to do it everyday, you just do it because you like to. So naturally you are better at it since you do it often and no one has to tell you to do it. Some people force themselves anyway, because of e.g. money. If art was as profitable as programming, I'm sure we would have shitload of artists.
>>
>>54187936
My drawing skills are sufficient enough to draw something simple. If I wanted to get good at drawing, I'd practice and learn and practice some more. This sides-of-the-brain pseudo-science is an excuse to not have to bother with things that require a bit of effort.
>>
>>54188122
>I don't want to read
You're fucked.
>>
>>54188122
>The only problem I have is I don't want to read books

Forget it. If you're already looking to be spoon fed you'll never be competent. If reading a book is too much effort for you then I wonder what your motives are for wanting to learn to program, because genuine interest clearly is not one of them.
>>
>>54188242
I was a caricature artist for 2 years.
That being said I've obtained many books on programming various languages and it just doesn't come to me as easily as it seems to for some people I know who kind of suck at drawing or can't draw at all.
>>
>>54187333
>i'm too lazy to try
>>
>>54188263
>>54188361
Come on anons don't you know what Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic Learning is?

I just prefer a more hands on approach to learning this than reading a book . It's how I've learned everything so far. Not everyone needs to read books to learn. some use audio, and some use visual
>>
>>54188361
Reading books is boring. I went through college skimming textbooks and spent most of my time on practice problems.
>>
>>54188435
>Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic Learning
Ridiculous memes my teacher in 4th grade used to avoid preparing proper education.
The only visual learning you need are e-learning videos. The only auditory learning you need are podcasts. Kinesthetic learning for programming - you have got to be kidding me. You're not a fucking carpenter, nor are you 10 years old. Running around won't develop your brain, it develops your legs.

>I just prefer a more hands on approach to learning
So do I - so I began learning scripting. I have a sysadmin job, a lot of it was clicking GUIs.
I am the same kind of person as you - I got terrible grades in programming class. I couldn't do abstract, creativity-bound programming, I need practical tasks that will help me in my daily life, otherwise my brain just doesn't know how to solve the task.
Books didn't help me, the teacher didn't help me. Only when the programming helped me in my dayjob, with actual objectives, could I learn programming.

If you don't have a job that can be made easier with programming, and you don't have the attention span to start from scratch with books, then I don't know. Your "visual" learning might help in form of video courses, but it doesn't necessarily help on the attention span, just the reading aspect.
>>
>>54187333
Hey op go to codecademy and start with python.You'll learn slowly but don't give up midway.
>>
>>54188881
>codecademy
>not codemonkedemy
>>
>>54187477
Nah, some people are just not logically inclined enough.
Most people are retards.
>>
>>54188794
i made a couple of batch files for setting screen timeout to 0 and setting it to 3 minutes, respectively. I would use one when i woke up and one when i went to bed. But I wouldn't exactly call it programming.
>>
>>54187333
pick up Node.JS instead
>>
>>54188794
Then how did you learn to start?
>>
Learn C. It's so simple a child could understand it.
>>
File: 1461436555372.gif (45 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1461436555372.gif
45 KB, 499x499
>>54188122
https://www.codecademy.com/
>>
>>54187936
Actually a lot of us can, especially indie game developers
>>
>>54187936
>one side is always dominant.
>>
>>54187333
>learning someone else's programming language
>not creating your own
>>>/out/
>>
>>54187826
I actually agree about not using IDE code completion tools as well as auto indent because not using one will teach you to better access other resources like documentation and the not using the other will encourage actually developing some styling techniques. Simple syntax highlighting is alright though, it might be a useful visual aid to someone learning.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.