[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's been 5 and a half years now. Where the FUCK are ro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: 1439737917341.jpg (144 KB, 620x439) Image search: [Google]
1439737917341.jpg
144 KB, 620x439
It's been 5 and a half years now.
Where the FUCK are rotating heatsinks?

http://techreport.com/news/27637/cooler-master-kinetic-engine-turns-rotating-heatsink-into-a-fan
>>
>>54184349
1/4 pound of aluminum spinning at 8k rpm inside a case that loses all functionality when guards are put around it?
>>
>>54184349
LOL Go play Beyblade in the streets where it belongs not in COMPUTERS.
>>
>>54184370
Why would it lose functionality with a grill?
>>
It's pointless, normal stock fan heatsinks do a good enough job of cooling even AMD chips up to ~4 GHz. Aftermarket coolers can cool then up to ~4.4 GHz and water coolers up to ~5 GHz.

There is no market for this toy cooler.
>>
>>54184349
it is untechnological.
Such thing would be an engineering nightmare useless and stupid.

As if i made a car on sleds insteads of wheels spraying lube under itself to move and replacing the sleds every two miles and it worked for like two days.
And people on /g would demand those cars on the market.
>>
>>54184496
Hey, is anyone developing these cars seriously, because if it replaces fuel it would be pretty good.
>>
>>54184496
>Such thing would be an engineering nightmare
They already exist and Coolermaster bought rights to the design you dunce.

>useless and stupid
It's FAR more efficient than a traditional heatsink.
>>
File: 1447685012042.jpg (186 KB, 518x540) Image search: [Google]
1447685012042.jpg
186 KB, 518x540
>>54184380
immensley underrated
>>
>>54184526
>It's FAR more efficient than a traditional heatsink.
Efficient in what way?
It has a massive friction area that needs to be filled with lubricant.
Lubricant can never conduct heat as good as solid metal (metals are ABSOLUTELY crazy superior at that)
When lubricant wears off entire thing is useless.
It has smaller dissipation area, I'm not certain about airflow but probably shit too.

Basicly there's nothing better than a massive chunky heatsink and a good quiet fan on it.
Or maybe go crazy or use a bladeless fan.
Or better even concept use the PC case as heat dissipator. It's a best idea around: connect PC case walls to CPU with heatpipes and no fan required. Totally passive.
But this thing is just a proof of concept. it works but completely uncompetitive.

I think i should start a kickstarter offering retads new super revolutionary lube that will REVOLUTIONIZE transportation and allow skiing on asphalt.
>>
>>54184496
>As if i made a car on sleds insteads of wheels spraying lube under itself to move and replacing the sleds every two miles and it worked for like two days.
http://prod.sandia.gov/techlib/access-control.cgi/2010/100258.pdf
Learn how it works.
>>
>>54184592
This, not to mention that a large mass spinning at high speed is a terrible idea
>>
>>54184380
Let her RIP
>>
>>54184597
>Learn how it works.
>Supposed use of air bearing
>will be rendered useless by dust or vertical oplacement
>Because air is known as a great conductor of heat, right, suck it free electron gas, air is where it is at
>>
>>54184592
There is no lubricant, as it uses air bearings which can last a very long time if coated correctly. In fact air barrings really only wear when turning on or off so their wear rate can be very low in some applications.

According to some of the original papers the thin air gap in the bearing does not have significant effect on the conductivity as the layer is too small for normal insulating effects to work right.

I find that last part hard to believe as air pockets have been historically used for insulation, but have seen similar effects on other systems so it maybe true if they had insane tolerances.

Which brings up another issues, manufacturing something that fine. It can be done, advancements in laser tooling have started making it surprisingly easy. But if you want that accuracy in mass production you will still need some specialized factory equipment and to work out the finer details which could be a bit complex despite the simple design.

I assume part of the delay was Sandia trying to figure out how to capitalize on their taxpayer research, typically these types of discoveries fall into public domain. And then Cool Master trying to figure out how to mass produce these, as they already showcases a working display model.

I still give them a year or two more as implementing things like this takes a lot longer then people understand. However the lack of publicity and more details makes me concerned this project has hit a fatal snag.
>>
Wake me when that design can beat a NH-D15 with the same or quieter noise level.
>>
>>54184592
>Lubricant

nigga wat
>>
>>54184901
1 why arent air bearings used everywhere then?
must be a reason
actually they are barely used anywhere.
2 "if coated" it will be expensive.
Machining such device will be expensive no matter what you do. Really.
Such large air bearing will be still wearing off when turned on and off. It will turn on with a skreek until it's up to theit 5k rpm and when an impeller rotates at 5k rpm, 5k RPM! It will make sound of a jetfighter taking off, it will go WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
really, it cant possibly go slow because air bearing, and a turbine rotating that fasty will be howling like a monster.
You somehow must allow not a single particle of dust inside/.
3 We aren't really suffering from overheating CPUs in dire need of revolution, honestly. especially the one that includes air bearing and only works at 5k RPM and no less.

The only people who even want this are the cool kid enthusiasts, people in their right mind are super duper satisfied with those Noctuas. Why would they even need to fix anything?

Call me back wnen they revolutionize GPU cooling, that's the real problem right now.

This thing is actually grasping to make people believe, but really, just why?
This is solar roadways.
>>
>>54184380
Fuckin lol
>>
>>54184940
If not lubricant then air used to lubricate.
Kinda still lubricant if you think about it.
>>
>>54185064
>We aren't really suffering from overheating CPUs in dire need of revolution, honestly.

Literally any laptop suffers from thermal limitations.
>>
>>54185064
So without knowing that the cooler was an air bearing, or even being familiar with air bearing technology in general, you'll type paragraphs of how it isn't practical?
>>
>>54185134
Technically, but it's obvious he was referring to liquid lubrication.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWQZNXEKkaU
Listen to it sing! (most of the time it's tuned down but at 2:50 it's probably real and it almost drowns out his voice)
>>54185159
>Literally any laptop suffers from thermal limitations.
Literally no laptop can fit such device inside.
Just look at that thing.
If you make it thin it will have zero blade surface. and if you make it thick you will make laptop thick and really heave and give it a gyroscopic momentum.
>>54185168
I supposed it was hydrodynamic bearing (old prototyper from 5years ago was) and as a mechanical engineer i would do it like that which would be more practical.
But when i learned it was air bearing it just got crazy. It literally is thorium roadways, they are desperately grasping to make anyone believe it so they can sell patent, that's it.
>>
>>54185263
>Listen to it sing! (most of the time it's tuned down but at 2:50 it's probably real and it almost drowns out his voice)
Watch 3:15-3:55 you mong, they say that noise is from the motor and wouldn't be present in the finished product. Then they show how it sounds without the motor turned off.
>>
>>54185537
Still louder than my cooler.
My 600rpm cooler makes virtually no sound, only GPU and hdd in my PC make sound
>>
>>54184349
>http://techreport.com/news/27637/cooler-master-kinetic-engine-turns-rotating-heatsink-into-a-fan

They are here these guys got the patent
http://coolchiptechnologies.com/cooling-products/high-performance/
>>
>>54185558
>Still louder than my cooler.
>My 600rpm cooler makes virtually no sound
If you want to gimp your PC's performance because muh noise when by your own admission the low noise of that part makes no difference then go ahead, but most other people don't want that and would rather have better cooling.
>>
>>54185064
1 Must meet specific conditions to work, often dealing with load distribution and tight geometry.

2 The coating treatment for such wear surfaces is not very expensive, but the exacting geometry often is, but that could come down with good economies of scale.
While spin up is loud, it is actually very quiet when running because of how the air flows. Not sure why, maybe the sound feeds back into itself or just goes ultrasonic and can't be heard. But they do seem significantly quieter then most fans.
Also typical dust is not that big of a deal breaker.

3 True, but not in all cases. This offers an attractive middle ground between high performance water cooling and more common fan cooling, so it definitely has some kind of market.
The really question is if that market will pay enough to make this useful device real, as not every good idea makes money. If not then it is just a nice idea and it stops there which may well be the case.

"Air bearings only have a few disadvantages. The main challenging issues are the high geometrical accuracies which are required during manufacture." Wiki
>>
File: prototype.jpg (146 KB, 620x418) Image search: [Google]
prototype.jpg
146 KB, 620x418
>>54184349
They don't work as advertised, and never did. It was all one big investor scam.

Cooler Master showed a prototype variant that was planned for the consumer market. It ended up as nothing but an obnoxious passive heat sink with a pathetic whirring top in the center. This thing has a substantial amount of thermal mass, it has heat pipes, it has as much surface area as any other heat sink on the market.
It needs all of that because the concept absolutely does not work as claimed. The fan design is not a more efficient way at dispersing heat generated by an IC.
>>
Almost all moving parts have been removed from desktop computers, and now you want to add some more? What the hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>54185653
When I see things like this I wonder why people don't just put the monitor and keyboard in a different room than the computer.

A few inches of sound damping wall does a lot and the other room could be closer to the buildings air condition system. The lag fro the increased distance is negligible for most applications.
>>
>>54185780
Because people generally don't plan out their homes around their computer desk.

I've been thinking about something like it as well and I'm planning to do it when I renovate the apartment.
>>
>>54185653
>gimp your PC's performance
The point is that my PC is OK.
I run my 2500K at 4.5 GHZ with simply the largest cooler they had in store and it does great in quiret.
I was basicly like "What really matters is the fin area" so i chose the heaviest sooler the had, really fucking chose by weight, and it werks great. It's hardly hitting 70 under prolonged stress test for all 4 cores for extended time, and real application never get it that hot.
And it is quiet.
The very critical thing about their cooler is that it's not better.
Not quiter, not much more efficient, It's smaller in height but a lot larger in width.
Cool design, but i don't need it.

>>54185671
>The coating treatment for such wear surfaces is not very expensive,
You think it isnt, it's a lot more expensive than what they normally use for mass production of cheap consumer shit.
But i was actually saying that precise manufactoring of large air bearings will be.
I didn't mean coating is too expensive, i said air bearings are a lot more costly than that what you normally use.
> high geometrical accuracies
This again.

Think about it, you normally are sold sheap punched stuff for a lot more than it costs because happy merchants want high profit.
Then expensive stuff will cost you A LOT if they also want to make profit.
>>
>>54185852
shear/stamp punching would never get near those high geometrical accuracies.
So yea, it is going to cost a lot.

This is what happen to my favorite mechanical pencil line. In the old ones they lathed the feed pins, that lead never wiggled, perfect lines every time. Price old version $50 each. Then they started stamping the feed pins, new ones jammed up so much I stopped buying. Price new version $20 each, same model number. Still can't find a mechanical pencil line that fine, but now that I don't take drafting classes anymore so my need for them has dropped. Still would be nice to have one for drawing if I ever got the time. Looks like I have to have them imported, the Japanese pen and pencil market is so much more robust then the US.
>>
>>54184567
Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is under no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favor and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?
>>
>>54186383
saved :^)
>>
>>54186441
Fucking newfags.
>>
>>54184380
kek
>>
>>54185159
All we need in laptops now is a new moving part that will tear off with mild bump, resulting in destruction of everything inside of the casing.
>>
>>54185064
>1 why arent air bearings used everywhere then?
Ball bearings are cheaper, and easier, to implement
An air bearing requires an air pump, the bigger the load the stronger the pump, it doesn't really work for big things
>Machining such device will be expensive no matter what you do. Really.
It isn't, you can create your own air bearing at home with a simple pipe, one that lacks the insulating effects would be substantially more expensive, but it should be fairly possible with modern tooling
>Such large air bearing will be still wearing off when turned on and off. It will turn on with a skreek until it's up to theit 5k rpm and when an impeller rotates at 5k rpm, 5k RPM! It will make sound of a jetfighter taking off, it will go WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
You're completely retarded I guess, anyways, there wouldn't be much, if any, wear, 5K RPM's isn't even much
>>54185263
>I supposed it was hydrodynamic bearing (old prototyper from 5years ago was) and as a mechanical engineer i would do it like that which would be more practical.
I guess you're an engineer from Pajeet Technologic Institute #4921
>>
>>54184349
yeah because can't wait for all that metal weight to warp my motherboard some more
>>
>>54184349
Damn that looks like a long Steiner theorem on paper.
>>
>>54184380
beyblades fuckin' hurt
>>
File: 11050910391973125.jpg (148 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
11050910391973125.jpg
148 KB, 640x640
Are Deltas a meme or are they actually a good air cooling solution ignoring how loud they are?
>>
>>54190086
They are for servers dumbass.
>>
>>54188002
>It isn't, you can create your own air bearing at home with a simple pipe,
Hurr durr.
I can create your mom at home.

They claim to produce a an impeller on an air bearing as large as your moms ass, production of that will require CAM, this is already a thousand times more expensive than cast or punched chink didlos you're getting from chhinese normally.
This thing must be precisely machined and it will cost money.
Assuming claim that air bearing with 40micrometers gap REALLY conducts heat and not a bullshit manufactoring of the disc is literally aerospace grade technology, not something you get from chinks normally. Last time you bought a cooler you paid 50$ for a bunch of punched metal sheets, and this is jet engine level machining.
And it will have to be ballanced too to decrease vibration, oh and it also has an impeller on the other side.

Oh no, i'm wrong, i guess for mass production they will use plastic pipes like your dildos, right?
>>
>>54184349
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBAukXPD-0
>>
>>54185748
>They don't work as advertised, and never did. It was all one big investor scam.
This. We called it five years ago and OP still wants to believe.
>>
>>54185852
>"What really matters is fin area
Yes and no...
For the ultimate final thermal equilibrium yes the size, complexity, etc. does matter.
Unfortunately this really only applies to passive sinks. Which with your fans running so slow your sink is probably only ~30% better than if it had no fans at all.

Something just as important as absolute heat load/capacity (especially with newer, denser, smaller CPUs) is the contact surfaces and how quickly that heat can be carried away from the top of the chip/bottom of the sink to the top of the sink.
Larger direct contact pipes (not your run of the mill 4-5mm diameter), large and very finely machined copper base, and a lapped CPU spreader can contribute more to heat carried away than simply a larger heatsink outright.
Efficiency trumps absolute numbers in an area where size matters.
>>
>>54184349
this is stupid, however i'm still waiting for the tech that turns the entire metal chassis into a heat sink.
>>
>>54184349
Fuck, I remember when someone posted that bullshit here.
Has it been 5 years already?
>>
>>54190086
IF you ignore how loud they are they are great. Can you ignore a vacuum cleaner though?
>>
>>54190929
IT'S WHISPER QUIET!
>>
>>54184567
immensely
retarded
>>
File: 1433022157425.jpg (57 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1433022157425.jpg
57 KB, 600x450
>>54193618
>i'm still waiting for the tech that turns the entire metal chassis into a heat sink.
Welcome to 10 years ago
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.