[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do programmers prefer using Macs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 70
File: IMG_0408.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0408.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1365
Why do programmers prefer using Macs?
>>
File: bailey_wtf.png (133 KB, 320x319) Image search: [Google]
bailey_wtf.png
133 KB, 320x319
>>54178498
did you hear this at the local lgbt convention?
>>
>>54178498
>unix environment and same or similar shit to what your servers will use
>lots more useful shit available than you'd get on linux/bsd
>far less fucking around to get it up and running than linux/bsd
and most importantly:
>someone else is paying for it (or it's a tax deduction, which is almost as good)
>>
>>54178498
>laptop
>2016
>os x

I wouldn't use any of that in this day and age.
>>
>>54178498
I think you mean webdevs and shitty app devs. That's because the company pays for it.
>>
File: 1455029726587.png (355 KB, 704x817) Image search: [Google]
1455029726587.png
355 KB, 704x817
>>54178498
Because "muh fart appz".
>>
>>54178541
this.
>>
>>54178559
Kys
>>
>>54178608
>mactoddler
kys
>>
>>54178498
Novice programmer here.
I'm in a software dev course and the teachers recommend mac because they're more programmer friendly.

From my experience microsoft is a massive hassle to get anything done. I was trying to start a web server to test my webapp and it took me like 4-5 days of messing around and I still didn't get it to work. I ended up installing xampp and my webserver was working within 30 minutes of downloading, configuring, testing etc.

So for me open source (Linux) > Microsoft.

And apparantly Unix and Linux are very similar.

Also, you can only develop applications for ios/osx on a mac. You can also develop for windows and linux on a mac. Either in vm or dual boot. Same cant be said for windows and linux developers on a mac as macs are proprietary and locked down.
>>
I like the hardware, mainly the keyboard and screen, but Mac OS X is replaceable.
>>
Using mac over linux to get shit done. People would spend too much time ricing their setup for optimal experience instead of working if they were using linux. OSX provides everything you need and it just works.
>>
>>54178608
Laptops are an old shitty PC format with a small screen and gimped hardware which is one generation behind desktop.

OS X is a the gayest possible OS. Everything in it prioritises UI and design so much it's vomit-inducing. You can see that when their dev team gets together it all starts with Ive showing them what the final product should "look like". Bleh.

You can stuff that shit in your ass.
>>
>>54178585
What a fucking joke. That to me sounds like a conflict of interest if ever I've seen one.

Also you would expect something a bit more professional from him. That's something I'd do but I acknowledge that I'm neet and also an idiot.
>>
>>54178648
>>54178541

>mac is more useful than gnu+linux for programming

Spotted the web "developers"
>>
>>54178567
>>54178585
>>54178676
/thread
>>
Unix environments are literally made for software development and are far better than Windows for example. Not only is OS X Unix but it comes with everything installed: ruby, python, perl, java, ssh, etc. You also get XCode for free, one of the best IDEs and the one that you need to make apps that generate the most revenue. The screen is very good, the trackpad and keyboard are excellent, and the battery lasts all day. Everything syncs to your phone automatically and you can even take calls on your laptop if you want. Default apps for the stuff you need like email are actually usable too.
>>
>>54178498
They just werk
>>
>>54178702
>macshitOS
>unix

Stopped reading.
>>
>>54178676
1) Why do you associate developping on mac with web dev?
2) whats the problem with web dev?
>>
>>54178625
Too dumb for Unix eh?
I feel ya, it's not for everyone.
>>
>>54178723
>dumbed down toddler os
>unix
nice meme
>>
>>54178718

If you have to ask why web "dev" isn't real developing then you are probably a web "dev".
>>
What the fuck do you need some special OS for webdev, you pretentious faggots. You don't compile anything, you faggots. You literally don't need any special snowflake machine or OS to do webdev, you can do it on any OS or machine with desktop capabilities, that can run a text editor, a browser and a crappy local webserver.
>>
>>54178731
I know, Learning Unix has a strong curve.

Keep trying it's worth it.
>>
>>54178530
do you think they have conventions?

they mostly have parades and shit.

welcome to... i don't even know - when did lgbt parades start? like the 60s? how long have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>54178752
This. When you grow out of your toddler handholding OS, you wipe OSX and install a real UNIX like Solaris.
>>
File: f76202776.png (1 MB, 757x586) Image search: [Google]
f76202776.png
1 MB, 757x586
>>54178541

FUCKING /thread
>>
- os x is unix-y
- developers don't get compensated or rewarded for spending time tinkering with a linux setup
- everything works sensibly out of the box

it's not that complicated. people aren't sending a principled message out into the universe when they buy and use shit; they're just buying and using shit that lets them get the job done faster/easier.
>>
>>54178783
Why do you keep samefagging your post?
>>
>>54178718
>>1) Why do you associate developping on mac with web dev?

Because webdev is seen as easier or less complicated than other forms of software development. It's basically another way for inseecure trolls to feel better about themselves by belittling others. Kind of like the "X is better than Y because I use it and you have to be smart to use it".

2) whats the problem with web dev?
Nothing, don't listen to the trolls.
>>
>>54178744
webdev only? No, MacOS is POSIX and SUS compliant so it exposes the standard Unix system calls

>>54178771
Ha, I worked in a Solaris shop for years. Too bad the hardware is old and Oracle doesn't give a shit about the desktop and the Java Desktop is hell. But really, most solaris guys now carry around a macbook.
>>
File: 1459187045642.jpg (185 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1459187045642.jpg
185 KB, 800x800
>>54178498
Why do mactards shill their consumer shit garbage on /g/?
>>
>macs have a marketshare in the teens
>every other thread on /g/ is "why is mac the best?!?! Lol XD"
>apple has the largest marketing budget

I wonder who could be behind these threads?
>>
>>54178624
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. OSX is the only option for iOS development. Developing for anything else tends to be platform-agnostic (unless you are a C# guy)

OSX is a heck of a lot easier than Windows to work with when using tools designed for Unix. Linux can be a nice option too depending on your hardware and your particular needs.

>>54178650
I'll agree that Apple is a shit company, but unfortunately their competition is even worse. RHEL or any other corporate distro can be just as nice if someone else is setting it up for you, But it won't always be compatible with your non-work-related applications
>>
>>54178819
Because, Apple is the Sun of 2010s
Don't like it? go to >>>/v/
>>
>>54178819

SAVE US BASED SCATMAN
>>
I don't really know. Even the android developers including the one that is hella opinionated against iOS stuff uses a macbook pro. It is probably because the alternative is a lenovo thinkpad. I don't remember the specs though.
>>
>>54178837
>if you don't like apple toddler toys for retards who are afraid and scared of technology, you belong on /v/

Ok, kid.
>>
>>54178852
somebody's triggered.
>>
because i like the gui better for osx
>>
>>54178852
>the modern unix workstation
>Toddler

Hah, have fun with you 200MIPS sparc there chap.
>>
>>54178761
>60's
You are a historically illiterate retard. How many extra chromosomes do you have?
>>
File: 1461370182067.jpg (57 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1461370182067.jpg
57 KB, 600x800
>>54178837
Apple is for retards who download gayblackorgy.avi.mpg.mp4.exe and complain about Windows being insecure, opening gedit and getting confused because they can't figure out how to save, and then claim "i'm such a geek xDDD" because they figured out how to turn on a mac and type text on it.

If you don't like reality, you can go back to Facebook or macrumors.
>>
>>54178871

>developing in a walled garden
>not embracing the four freedoms

You're literally cancer.
>>
>>54178871
>macshit
>unix

Nice meme.
>>
>>54178712
>>54178900
>le appel le gay xD
Don't you have a Bernie Trump rally to attend?
>>
>>54178900
/thread
>>
>>54178897
none. i have the right amount. lgbt communities have parades and shit. whatever you were thinking when you typed "convention" was either a brain fart or an insight into how retarded and out of touch with the outside world you are.

you should just cop to it being a brain fart. you don't have to be a faggot to know lgbt folks don't do conventions
>>
File: shot3-3.png (639 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
shot3-3.png
639 KB, 1024x576
>>54178871

Say hello to your modern Unix workstation.
>>
>>54178823
Timmy's Asian bf?
>>
File: nVjQ1iE.png (1 MB, 1357x1281) Image search: [Google]
nVjQ1iE.png
1 MB, 1357x1281
>>54178941

>modern unix workstation
>>
File: SCIENCE.jpg (694 KB, 1256x819) Image search: [Google]
SCIENCE.jpg
694 KB, 1256x819
>>54178498
Some programmers prefer Macs. Some prefer Thinkpads. Some prefer Dells. Only ricers care which brand they use.

That said, I'm a ricer so I don't use a pleb machine.
>>
>>54178941
>macshit
>mach
>hfs
>toddler ui
>everything hidden from brain dead user base so they don't delete /

>unix

Ok kid.

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/data/s11ga/systems/views/all_laptops_all_results.page1.html
>>
Looking at most of these posts would make you think you can't plug multiple monitors and a keyboard/mouse in to a laptop or something. Especially when you go somewhere to work that you sit at the same place each day.
>>
>>54178941
>>54178955
>he buys his Unix separate from his hardware

Can you even suspend on laptops with Solaris?
>>
>>54178955
kek
>>
>>54178650
retard detected

>b-b-b-but muh desktop
>why would i get a laptop if it would never leave my basement anyway
>>
>>54178979
>he shills macshit yet doesn't know a single thing about real unix OSs

Mactoddlers, ladies and gentoomen.
>>
>>54178848
wat
People don't use Macs for the specs or build quality, not if they've done any research at all. They use them for native OSX.
>>54178921
I bet both of them use Macs.
Trump: "You know why I buy Apple? Because apple is the best. They make great computers and they are reliable and they are just the best you know? There are a lot of other companies and yeah, they are good, but I only use the best."
Sanders: "Apple is one of the only companies in Silicon Valley that still makes some of its hardware in the United States of America. Now I'm no fan of their FoxCon plants in Asia, and I will not stand for any Trade agreement that forces American Companies to send good jobs overseas just to compete!"
>>
>>54178941
gosh karli is so beautiful
>>
>>54178992
Last time I used Solaris you couldn't
Switched to mac and didn't look back.
>>
>>54178498
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/loadques.html

Kill yourself.
>>
>>54179004
>i'm too dumb to handle unix so i switched to toddlerOS

Ok.
>>
>>54179023
>i'm old and beyond my useful life; I bitterly hang on to an OS that isn't optimized for my hardware and the company that makes it doesn't give a shit about anything other than running databases.

It's ok. I see why you're bitter.
>>
>>54179004
Yeah you can suspend on Solaris. I wouln't use it on a laptop though. Power management is way more of a hassle than any distro.
>>
>>54179044

>osx is optimized for its hardware

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-unequivocally-better-than-os-x-on-apples-new-macbook/
>>
File: 1396137427493.png (326 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1396137427493.png
326 KB, 1280x720
>>54179044
>i use hardware and os designed for tech illiterates like me and call people bitter when they laugh at me for pretending to not be tech illiterate
>>
>>54178997
>People don't use Macs for the specs or build quality, not if they've done any research at all.

Oh my God, the irony.

You will find *no machine* on the market that rivals the build quality of *any* Mac.
>>
>>54178991
What the fuck work can you get done while you're outside?

What kind of a retard are you? Do you go to Starbucks to get work done? I knew it...
>>
>>54179107
>ᵇᵉᶰᶦˢ
>>
>>54179107
If you were tech literate you would have abandoned Solaris after Sun died like everyone else. Or is your brain approaching the age where it can't learn new ideas.

>I feel bad making fun of grandpa
>>
>>54179044
OS X has shitty, unoptimized drivers even for their own hardware.
>>
>>54179134

Still better than Linux on anything.
>>
>>54178498
because all the real programmers don't go outside so you don't see their non-macbooks
>>
>>54179108

Business class laptops have objectively better build quality. They also offer annual product cycles, serviceability, and great driver support.
>>
>>54178900
/thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5ClsdG74o
>>
>unix
>USEFUL SOFTWARE
>it just werks
>prefer to stare at better font rendering for 12 hour days
>work pays for it :^)
>>
>>54179108
>macshit
>build quality

niceme.me
>>
>>54178541
yup. /thread.
and when you're not a NEET retard and are actually in CS, you start to appreciate the good design
>>
>>54178997
lolwut
Sarcasm is hard to detect on here, but Apple is famous for solder joints breaking and GPUs frying on almost every generation of Macbook Pro after ~5 years. Compare failure rates to similarly priced toshiba or dell business machines. Not to mention failure on charging cables or rapidly dwindling battery life (which can't be replaced mind you). I've owned 3 MbPs, and each one started shitting itself after 4-5 years. My partner's windows machine is happily chugging along to obsolescence.
Apple makes very pretty computers but not very reliable ones.
OSX is the only valid reason to buy a Macbook. And it is definitely valid.
>>
>>54179161
>Business class laptops have objectively better build quality.

No, they don't.

You think "build quality" means "I can take it apart and put it back together", but it doesn't.
>>
>>54179204
Meant to reply to
>>54179108
>>
>>54179206
>macshit
>build quality

You think "build quality" means "every component is soldered to the mobo", but it doesn't.
>>
>>54179206

That's what serviceability means. Build quality is a magnesium roll cage, reinforced metal hinges, etc.

>using a mac in [current year]

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc
>>
>>54179161
>Business class laptops

Which ones are these?
>>
>>54179161
>They also offer annual product cycles
apple does that too
>serviceability
apple's got great scores at iFixit
>and great driver support.
even if apple doesn't hand out the drivers themselves, its hardware's got an awesome community providing drivers for many other OSes and even for OSX itself when Apple starts discontiuning them.
>>
>>54179250

>mac serviceability

EVERYTHING IS SOLDERED
>>
how are you people this fucking retarded?

do you simply enjoy being baited?
>>
>>54179250
>$2000 machines
>literally a pile of broken shit that still needs community support to make it function

Real premium product you got there.
>>
>>54179235
I speak spanish. Reading that and listening to it at the same time confused the shit out of me.
Funny as fuck with the audio off though
>>
>>54178761
>do you think they have conventions?
>when did lgbt parades start? like the 60s? how long have you been living under a rock?

http://thelgbtexpo.com/
appears i haven't been living under a rock you blind cunt.
>>
>>54179282
you can find a convention for every interest, condition, etc... (including autism, just so you know), but that's not the way that faggots tend to congregate.
>>
no real programmers use mac lol
>>
>>54178541
I just buy older used Mac Minis and remote to them for appdev shit

The laptops are way super overpriced and get outdated faster. I can throw 16GB in the 2012 models and just compile on there for less than half the price of these newer shitty laptops.

I figure if I need to get a bunch more power in the future then I'll just buy an older Mac Pro and pull a Tek Syndicate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuW3HuzYWsw
>>
>>54179266
I bet your mommy tells everyone in her bookclub that her son is so smart after installing RAMCHIPS in sally's computer.
>>
>>54179204
>Apple is famous for solder joints breaking

Everyone is "famous" for solder joints breaking, because that's a primary cause of failure in electronics. Always has been, always will be.

>and GPUs frying on almost every generation of Macbook Pro after ~5 years

Show me the competitor with similar GPU performance who reaches greater hours of use on a regular basis.

>Compare failure rates to similarly priced toshiba or dell business machines.

Yeah, let's compare them:

1) Used heavily for video and music editing, compiling.

2) Used for Word documents and Excel spreadsheets.

Yeah, entirely comparable.

>Not to mention failure on charging cables

I had my 1st gen Macbook power supply replaced for free at an Apple store in Tokyo inside of ten minutes. Show me the way to the Toshiba and Dell stores in major cities around the world where I can get parts replaced in minutes.

> or rapidly dwindling battery life

Show me evidence that Apple batteries degrade at a faster rate than your business class laptops.

>(which can't be replaced mind you)

Apple batteries can be replaced, just not by the average consumer. Personally, I'll take the portability and enjoyable usability of a Mac over the oh-so-neat ability to swap out a battery after four years.

>I've owned 3 MbPs, and each one started shitting itself after 4-5 years

That's a good lifespan for a device that you're using hard.

>My partner's windows machine is happily chugging along to obsolescence.

Neat, so you can keep loading twenty meg websites and waiting five minutes for the conservatively spec'd CPU and GPU to draw them. What a life!

>Apple makes very pretty computers but not very reliable ones.

The *extremely* healthy market for used Apple products says you're wrong. Your opinion-based rant has nothing on the free market.

>OSX is the only valid reason to buy a Macbook

Yeah, aside from actually spending five years using a machine that you *enjoy* using, with an excellent user interface.
>>
>>54179235
>That's what serviceability means.

I'm sorry, what? You appear to be saying that build quality == serviceability. That is quite obviously false.
>>
>>54178498
90% of them are homosexuals, or autists who like shiny things.
>>
>>54179235
Name one modern laptop with a magnesium roll cage.
>>
>>54179345

>supporting a company that purposely makes their equipment impossible to work on so you have to buy a whole new unit anytime a small component breaks

I bet your wife's son tells everyone at school how much of a cuck you are.

>>54179367

Reread my post. It's obvious that I was referring to "I can take it apart and put it back together" when I said that's what serviceability means.
>>
>>54179389

The xx50 series thinkpads have a magnesium chassis. Older models (xx20 series) have a more defined roll cage, but Lelnovo fell for the "muh thinness" meme and started cutting back after that series.
>>
>programmers
If by programmer you mean your typical bay area Ruby/JavaScript SJWs then sure. People with actual computer engineering skills use Windows or Linux.
>>
>>54178498

>flappybird
>programming
>>
>>54179481
kek
tell that to all the grad students/phd candidates/professors at my school
>>
>>54178541
This to a t
Compatibility with linux software is a huge plus, it makes development speed so fast. If Bash on Windows weren't so botched, it would still be less desirable due to how Windows in general works. The fact that it's paid for makes it even more desirable.
>>
>>54179511
>If Bash on Windows weren't so botched, it would still be less desirable due to how Windows in general works. The fact that it's paid for makes it even more desirable.
Meant to say if Bash on Windows weren't so botched, Windows would still be less desirable. The fact that the Mac is paid for at work makes the Mac more desirable too
>>
>>54179355
>Everyone
Doesn't change the fact that I've had to reflow the solder on my Apple machines a lot more often than my similar windows machines. They simply don't have adequate cooling for the amount of heat they generate, and over the years it shows.
>Show
You are making a lot of assumptions about the work habits of Apple's customers. I wonder how many people actually push their machine's limits compared to those who just use them for lighter stuff
>Yeah
I'd concede that Apple users are more likely to do GPU-intesive work on a laptop, rather than a workstation, but I have no verifiable evidence. I doubt you do either.
>Not
Apple has great customer service when you are under warranty. I don't deny that. But 3 years is a short lifespan for a machine, especially one as expensive as Apple's
>Show
I doubt they do, but they can't be replaced. Maybe saving 2mm in thickness is an adequate tradeoff for you, but it isnt for me. I want my machines to last a while, so I can give them to a friend or family member when I'm finally ready to upgrade. I hate to throw away a computer because one component is gimping the whole thing
>That's
Its OK. Not great.
>Neat
I'd just like to have the option to keep using something I paid several grand for
>The
You know damn well that brand awareness is a huge factor in this. People buy Used Apple because they see people using new Apples.
>Yeah
I said OSX was valid didn't I?

Face it, my claims may be infused with opinion and anecdote, but yours are hardly more objective. You are making a lot of assumptions about use-cases and market forces.
Different consumers have different priorities. Longevity is one of mine. Obviously it isn't one of yours.
>>
>>54179481
Engineers around here use Windows, but the software people all use Macs.
>>
>>54179481
Computer engineers use Windows/Linux for sure, but as a dev who's used Windows for 15 years and Mac OS X for about 2 months, Mac OS X is undoubtedly superior when it comes to programming in terms of tools available, speed, and the general workflow environment (virtual desktops are much better on Mac, touchpad capabilities are strong, nice font rendering on editors are a tiny bonus)

There are probably other factors that make Mac more comfortable for me for devving, but those are the main ones
>>
>>54179319
you lost the argument, now move on.
>>
>>54179368
>90% of them are homosexuals, or autists who like shiny things.
the other 10% have mental disorders of some kind
>>
File: IMG_0394.jpg (1013 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0394.jpg
1013 KB, 1500x1000
the UI consistency on Macs are pretty great

Not to mention there isn't any high resolution scaling issue that is often found in Windows
>>
>>54179647
>everything is blurry vomit inducing shit on osx
>no scaling issues

Pick one.
>>
Protip for Windows users :
>install Ubuntu server in a VM
>install sshfs
>mount it like a local drive

You can now edit files directly in Windows and run it like if you were on a server
>>
>>54178676
As a web "developer" yes this is true.
>>
File: 1459172819758.jpg (50 KB, 676x720) Image search: [Google]
1459172819758.jpg
50 KB, 676x720
>>54179647
>has to use a bluetoth dongle because his memebook is all soldered shit and can't replace the bluetooth module without paying $2000 for a new machine

lmao
>>
>>54178498
Which programmers?
>>
File: no geimus for u.jpg (195 KB, 737x1132) Image search: [Google]
no geimus for u.jpg
195 KB, 737x1132
>>54179647
>>54178498
>he uses a mac
>proudly showing off example code for a flappybird clone that isn't even his own work
>yuru yuri
>garbage harem anime

i get the feeling this guy is a poser
no yuru yuri fan would unironically enjoy nisekoi
>>
Daily reminder that OSX is the true heir of UNIX.
>>
it is logitech dongle.
>>
>>54179731
This. I fell for the Windows meme. Never again
>>
>>54179731
Not only that, but it is the superior BSD flavor.
>>
>>54179700
Could be a unifying receiver.
Could be because he wants to use a PS3/PS4 controller which requires more open Bluetooth receivers than Apple has.

Kinda presumptuous of you mate.
>>
>>54178498
>programers
>>
>>54179731
Daily reminder that macshit will never be UNIX.
>>
>>54179776
>pprogamemers
>>
>>54178498
I just started working a programming job and was surprised Macs were provided and everyone used them. Supposedly you can bring your own laptop, but it can only be Mac/Linux, due to the tools we use.
>>
>>54179794
> A judge ruling that removed 4 files from 4.4BSD immediately makes it "not unix"
stay cucked.
>>
File: 1458849246136.png (267 KB, 673x888) Image search: [Google]
1458849246136.png
267 KB, 673x888
>>54179815
>uses a cuck OS
>calling anyone else a cuck

topcuck
>>
File: download.png (40 KB, 534x278) Image search: [Google]
download.png
40 KB, 534x278
>>54179815
>replacing the entire kernel with a unix-like replacement makes it still unix
>mactard logic
>>
>>54179842
>>54179859

Since 1993 the opengroup has said what is and isn't Unix. Go to bed grandpas, don't you have dialysis in the morning?
>>
>>54179842
>>54179859
> GNUs Not Unix
>>
>>54179924
>XNUs Not Unix
>>
>>54179931
Of course not, it's a kernel.
>>
>>54179355
>Everyone is "famous" for solder joints breaking, because that's a primary cause of failure in electronics. Always has been, always will be.

You have to admit that it's difficult to nearly impossible to reball/reflow Apple solder joints
>>
>>54179742
Why not try Hackintosh. It's really hope d way of learning how OSX works.
>>
>>54178498
Why are Mac OS's versions of gnu tools so outdated?
>>
>>54179941
> having to use a finnish hobbyist's toy kernel because they're too incompetent to write their own
freetards not even once
>>
>>54179959
>why not have anal sex with a condom on. it's really hope d way of learning how homOSeX works
>>
>>54178498
Cute debugger.
>>
File: hobby OS.png (34 KB, 1190x858) Image search: [Google]
hobby OS.png
34 KB, 1190x858
>>54179969
>having to steal a university's half-finished 2.5 version kernel and bolting it together with another joke experimental kernel they bought because they're too incompetent to write their own
mactards, not even once
>>
>>54179960
GNU is shit. Why bother with it. Install a package manager and zsh. If you want a real unix sysV experience install Korn pksh, for a true BSD experience install tcsh.

>>54179969
The fuck you on about?
>>
File: 1459290458180.jpg (25 KB, 500x427) Image search: [Google]
1459290458180.jpg
25 KB, 500x427
>>54179977
>>
>>54180000
Go to bed Linus, what are you doing on 4chan?
>>
>>54180000
>mach 2.5
>he thinks NeXt is Darwin

ATT cucks, everyone.
>>
>>54179881
Yes, but were arguing whether or not Os X is the true heir of UNIX, which it's not.
>>
>>54180091
it is
>>
>>54180091
>Modern Kernel
>Was 4.4BSD licensed until the CSRG was dissolved after the lawsuit
>Still carries 4.4BSD-lite heritage from FreeBSD

What are you alternatives?
Slowlaris? too much GNU shit (lol gnome desktop)
AIX? try running that on anything not a server
HockeyPucks? Sorry legacy only.
>>
>>54180135
Macshit will never be UNIX no matter how much you shill.
>>
>>54180146
it's the heir tho
>>
>>54180156
>no blood relation
>zero marketshare in serverspace
>heir

Mactardism, not even once.
>>
>>54180156
>10 years of plastic surgery and a bribed forged birth certificate makes macshit behave like unix but at horrid speeds to to applel spaghetti emulation code
>actual unix

Pick one.
>>
>>54180180
>>54180206
see
>>54180139
>10 years of plastic surgery

Yup sounds like Unix to me.
>>
>>54178676
>C/C++ and UNIX
>"web dev"

Spotted the child.
>>
>>54178530
this girl is fucking cute, who is she?
>>
>>54178712
>not knowing the architecture or history of OS X

Stopped reading.
>>
File: 1461309248547.png (699 KB, 622x570) Image search: [Google]
1461309248547.png
699 KB, 622x570
>>54180227
>mactoddlers don't even understand the differnce between being Unix and being certified as compatible with Unix/POSIX

>Mactards
>>
>>54180245
ATT cucks.still thinks ATT is relevant.
>>
>>54178904
>thinking iOS restrictions apply to OS X

Why are ignorant people so ready to spout their opinions?
>>
File: UNIX compliance.png (37 KB, 700x301) Image search: [Google]
UNIX compliance.png
37 KB, 700x301
>>54180245
this desu senpai
>>
>>54180235
b8
>>
>>54180275
Curious, what is Unix to you then?

>if you say it has to contain AT&T code then you're a confirmed retard.
>>
File: 1458749181183.jpg (84 KB, 640x460) Image search: [Google]
1458749181183.jpg
84 KB, 640x460
>>54180289
>if you use objective fact to prove me wrong ur dum!!11

>mactoddlers
>>
>>54179204
>Sarcasm is hard to detect on here, but Apple is famous for solder joints breaking and GPUs frying on almost every generation of Macbook Pro after ~5 years.

I've never even heard of this. My MBP is 5 years old and runs all day long. A friend has my prior MB aluminum, 8 years old, still going strong. I also have a G4 TiBook, 14 years old, runs fine.

The only thing Apple is "known" for is shitty thermal paste on the CPUs. I think someone in China took one of the joke videos posted on /g/ seriously.

>Compare failure rates to similarly priced toshiba or dell business machines.

You have stats for that? From a reputable source? Post 'em.

>Not to mention failure on charging cables or rapidly dwindling battery life (which can't be replaced mind you).

My 5yo MBP still has 75% of its battery life. And I can replace the battery at any time. Apple has been soldering RAM and SSDs into their thinnest notebooks, which I hate, but I think you can replace the battery on any of them.
>>
>>54180333
ATT cuck. Thought so.

BSD > sysV
>>
>>54180235
she has a penis anon
>>
File: 1460046281230.jpg (130 KB, 466x705) Image search: [Google]
1460046281230.jpg
130 KB, 466x705
OSX was never Unix, and never will be.

It is UNIX compliant, which doesn't really mean much with 0% marketshare.

Enjoy your thread.
>>
>>54179345

I installed RAM in your mom's memory slot.
>>
>>54180350
ATT cuck
>>
File: 1446242560546.png (68 KB, 507x832) Image search: [Google]
1446242560546.png
68 KB, 507x832
>>54180344
>mactoddler clinging to his pile of shit OS and even associating it with BSD

Keep your toddler meme OS to yourself. Just because our license lets anyone use our code doesn't mean we want anything to do with you or your spaghetti code.
>>
>>54179526
>Doesn't change the fact that I've had to reflow the solder on my Apple machines a lot more often than my similar windows machines. They simply don't have adequate cooling for the amount of heat they generate, and over the years it shows.

I might actually give you that one. Re-paste the CPU and install speed fan and you will improve reliability over the long haul.
>>
>>54180372
Sorry you're stuck with us.

Rhapsody
Rhapsody (like NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP before it) uses a licensed version of BSD. This is to say, Rhapsody is using a pre-4.4BSD Lite version of BSD (where the restricted parts were removed). This limitation was one of the reasons that Apple created Darwin.
>>
>>54180146
>hurr durr a child on /g/ says what is and is not UNIX

Last I checked The Open Group doesn't give a shit what you think. About anything.
>>
File: Rhapsody_02_Image_6.jpg (77 KB, 599x1445) Image search: [Google]
Rhapsody_02_Image_6.jpg
77 KB, 599x1445
>>54180391
>mactoddler thinks rhapsody ever left development before having 4.4 replaced with 4.4-lite

Stay BTFO.
>>
>>54180408
>mactoddler still thinks being compliant with unix standards makes something unix

Last I checked The Open Group doesn't give a shit what you think. About anything.
>>
>>54178498
Sysadmin in silicon valley here. I am responsible for handing out new hardware in my office since I am the only IT person here:

Marketing loves macs, engineers have a mac about 10% of the time.
>>
>>54180350
>NextStep was never UNIX

You would have been laughed out of any job, group, or tech show in the early 90's for that bullshit.
>>
>>54180408
Seems they don't give a shit what you think either. >>54180275
>>
>>54178624
Taking for 4-5 days to get your windows pc to work properly might be a sign that you are going into the wrong field.
>>
>>54180418
>he doesn't know that CRSG no longer exists and lives only through FreeBSD.

>completely ignores the heritage of Berkeley Unix in MacOS's development.

Do you know what year it is grandpa?
>>
>>54180435
>mactard thinks nextstep without 4.4bsdencumbered is unix

Stay retarded.
>>
>>54180428
>toddler calls someone a toddler and then repeats what they say

I know you are but what am I?
>>
>>54178498
We don't, VS is far superior to anything out there.You're probably confusing designers with programmers.
>>
>>54180457
>mactard thinks shoehorning their shit tier spaghetti code onto BSD makes their toy OS unix

TOPKEK
>>
>>54178712
BSD is a fork of Unix dumbass.
>>
Who the fuck is this trying to bait? Nearly all programmers use windows PCs and have linux vms. Especially if you are an engineer that messes around with shit like c#.

Some engineers at my company have macs but they are in the minority.

Source: I work at a big data company in silicon valley.

The only people with macs are idiotic women in HR and marketing.
>>
>>54180459
Retard You can't read.
NextStep was BSD-4.3 and 4.4encumbered.
>>
>>54180474
Retard, you can't read.
All trace of 4.4 encumbered was replaced with Lite before OSX even had a name.
>>
>>54180473
>c#
>engineer
You mean code monkey, rajeesh.
>>
>>54180275
>>54180440

Apple submits OS X and is certified to use the UNIX trademark.

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm

That pretty much ends the debate for anyone who is not a faggot.
>>
>>54180485
Why the fuck did you say nextstep?
>>54180459
>>
>>54180466
>VS is far superior to anything out there.

LMFAO good one anon.

>>54180473

You're not an engineer Pajeet. Now get back to work. If you don't put in 14 hours today you're going back to India.
>>
>>54180496
Why the fuck do you imply OSX is NextStep?
>>54180435
>>
>>54180486
I work at the headquarters of my company, all the engineers that sit in my office with me are architect, principal tier. Some are indians, but every single one of them has a PhD.

A few of them work with c#, so don't tell me what they are fucking doing.

>We're a relational database/big data company.
>>
>>54179013
>http://www.fallacyfiles.org/loadques.html
Can every fucking fedora-tipper on reddit stop posting this fucking meme every time they disagree with something?
>>
>>54180486
>>54180505

No one talks like that, confirmed for being angsty teens.
>>
>>54180526
POO
>>
>>54180466
no one does ASP anymore twerp wad
>>
>>54179969
>hobbyist's toy kernel
>used by nearly every server on the world
Kek
>>
>>54180536
>mactoddler has no argument
>just resorts to memespamming

topkek
>>
>>54180506
grandpa is confused again, we might need emergency dialysis.
>>
>>54180538
You are fucking stupid .net is a growing field.
>>
File: Apple libc.png (55 KB, 615x247) Image search: [Google]
Apple libc.png
55 KB, 615x247
>>54179969
>hobbyist's toy kernel
>still better quality than the pile of shit shat out by one of the largest megacorps in the world

baka desu senpai
>>
>>54180554
>ASP = ded
>WPF = ded
>Winforms = ded
>never ending .NET circlejerk = ded

LOL just no.
>>
>>54178498
>non-free
>hfs+
>ancient-ass version of bash
>chained to expensive proprietary hardware
Sounds like all the programmers you know suffer from severe masochism.
>>
>>54178498
They want to have UNIX machine that does not require them to put 12 days into touchpad driver configuration
>>
>>54180566
post proof faggot
>>
>>54180570
>non-free
>chained to expensive proprietary hardware

sounds like Sun/Solaris converts to me.
>>
File: 1396391941555.gif (370 KB, 300x302) Image search: [Google]
1396391941555.gif
370 KB, 300x302
>>54180575
>mactoddlers are so technology illiterate they need 12 days to install a touchpad driver

Why are you even on /g/?
>>
File: 1234184876593.jpg (374 KB, 1094x720) Image search: [Google]
1234184876593.jpg
374 KB, 1094x720
>>
>>54180593
Serious question. Don't you ever get tired of posting that drivel?
>>
>>54180610
>buubutubut it doens't containt AT&T
>>
>>54180616
it's not drivel when it's true, you linux zealot
>>
>>54180575
>it takes me 12 days to setup my touchpad driver
lmao

With retards like you it's no wonder Apple can charge 80% profit margin for garbage just because you need someone to hold your hand while you use your toy computer.
>>
>>54180623
Boring.
>>
>>54180616
I'm picturing an old dude with slowlaris/old sparc hardware posting Anime pics. It's kinda creepy.
>>
>>54180624
All computers are toys at this point.
>>
File: 1460305308789.jpg (55 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1460305308789.jpg
55 KB, 453x604
>>54180632
I'm browsing your facebook profile. It's seriously creepy.
>>
>>54180655
So which is it? Are you an old dude or a young hipster with your slowlaris box?
>>
>>54178498

you mean
>code artisans
>>
>>54180554

A field that Indians shit in.

>inb4 no one talks like that must be toddler
>>
File: 1433229194383.png (2 MB, 506x2983) Image search: [Google]
1433229194383.png
2 MB, 506x2983
>>54180670
>>code artisans
kek
>>
>>54178624

Linux is the best, but if you buy a mac you really cant go wrong. With linux you risk all sorts of bullshit because you buy a laptop thats meant to run windows
>>
>>54180670

Don't you mean Kode Artisans?
>>
>>54178498
Because it can use OSX, Windows and GNU/linux?
>>
>>54180682
I wonder if that cunt will be sitting in ten years in his mundane job and have the cringe of what he used to write on Facebook hit him like an aneurysm... or do deluded fucks like that continue believing their horse shit until their last gasping breath?
>>
*nix environment
AAA OS
god tier laptops
that's all
>>
>>54180713
>*nix environment
Yes.
>AAA OS
Good joke.
>god tier laptops
Not even close.
>>
>>54180739
> posted from my 1366x768 chinkpad
>>
>>54178498
>chitoge
>not Marika
Get the fuck out
>>
>>54178498
Anybody know who the anime grill is in the photo?
>>
>>54181017
>>54181011
>>
File: 1363358253552.png (34 KB, 476x294) Image search: [Google]
1363358253552.png
34 KB, 476x294
>>54180610
>buys pretty facebook machine
>b-b-but it has bash that means it's a l33t hacker os

You might as well just install cygwin on a Windows machine.
>>
>shitoge
Awful
>>
>>54181155
>rajeesh can't use Unix
>shills Windows.
>>
>be a COBOL programmer
>all you need is a terminal emulator and access to the mainframe
>>
>>54181169
>shills Windows
I'm saying it's the same crap as OS X, mactard.
>>
>>54181193
Calm down rajeesh, Microsoft didn't meet its quarterly earnings this last period, we must cut back on the online marketing.
>>
File: 1347847978673.jpg (11 KB, 309x343) Image search: [Google]
1347847978673.jpg
11 KB, 309x343
Your average brogrammer is too stupid to use unix, too autist to make git work for windows and too trendy to be seen with anything else.

They will all say something about g++ or some compiler nuances but don't let this fool you, its just autism with mommy and daddys money
>>
>>54180235

bailey jay
>>
File: iphone_india001-780x614.jpg (100 KB, 780x614) Image search: [Google]
iphone_india001-780x614.jpg
100 KB, 780x614
>>54181206
Wow, Apple's reality distortion field is in full force today
>>
I went into embedded programming just because there are less hipsters there.
>>
>>54181253
Is that your family, rajeesh?
Are they lucky enough to have indoor outhouses?
>>
>>54181253
Pajeets are deserting lagroid? Looks like Apple won again.
>>
You get a UNIX environment without the eternal roundabout of cancer that GNU/Linux desktop is.
>>
File: mac users.gif (3 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mac users.gif
3 MB, 500x500
>appletards hating on indians for shitting on their streets, while eating shit from their hands

ayylmao
>>
>>54181267
That's exactly something a hipster would do
>>
>>54181299
Why are freetard maymays so unfunny?
>>
File: 1458321672684.jpg (41 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
1458321672684.jpg
41 KB, 380x285
>>54181328
Why do you eat shit from your hands?
>>
>>54181328
Where do I get superior Apple memes?
Is there a 9gay?
>>
>>54181336
I'm not a ganoo/lincucks user though.
>>
>>54178498
If you're going to spend 10 hours a day in front of a machine you might as well get an aesthetically pleasing one
Unix based OS that doesn't require jumping through hoops to get basic things like wifi working
Most earn enough to not care about Apple tax
GPU performance (the biggest weakness) doesn't matter in programming
In the case of employer provided machines, some IT departments find them more reliable
>>
>>54181438
>mactards are literally so retarded they break the wifi on any computer they touch
lmao
>>
>>54181472
>old retired geezer has all the time in the world to find the perfect laptop from 2004 that has all the hardware support in slowlaris.

I can't wait to be a retiree too.
>>
File: 1452662181552.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1452662181552.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>54181472
Not surprising given their diet.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 70

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.