[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: 1440955947018.png (51 KB, 2534x3138) Image search: [Google]
1440955947018.png
51 KB, 2534x3138
Previously on: >>54165763

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
Why is portage so shit?
>>
>>54177260
Because you're too much of a retard to use it.
>>
If you play games, richard stallman thinks you're in a prison of proprietary bondage. With or without drm, games are all nonfree. Except the really shitty ones starring tux, those are okay to use.

FSF is too extreme.
>>
What are advisable USB Wifi Dongles for which I can find FREE and OPEN SOURCE drivers that are not binary blobs?

Either from chiner (see >>>/g/csg ) or from a reputable brand that I can buy cash locally.
So no niche products (except if it's from chiner of course).
>>
>>54177330
Videogames are for man-children anyway.
>>
>>54177330
Video games don't have to be non free.
>>
>>54177330
grow up /v/kiddie

>>54177343
see thinkpenguin's website.
>>
>>54177343
There's only one available chipset and you have to order it from freetard vendors for 50 euros, sorry. Plenty of laptop PCI cards that are supported, though.
>>
>>54177386
Thank you, but their WiFi products start at $50 which is literally 10 times the price I paid for my last b/g dongle when the 54 MBit WiFi was still new.
There has to be a better list somewhere.

I'm willing to pay for it, but not 10 times the usual price, somwhere there has to be a limit for my love.
>>
>>54177449
Find out the chipset of that and look for dongles that have it. FSF is not listing ones that come with a CD. Because they're dicks.
>>
>>54177411
Wew lad, if that is really true, I will do it anyway. I have to start somewhere with my liberation. Freedom costs money, so yeah. Fuck.
>>
How can I track my touchpad movments in debian>?
>>
>>54177463
Alright mane, thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated this time.
>>
Are the Intel iGPU drivers open source?
>>
>>54177497
This time? Are you a mod?
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (203 KB, 1200x768) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
203 KB, 1200x768
>>54177532
Sadly no.
>>
How do I modprobe modules automatically when waking up with systemd's systemctl suspend? snd_aloop isn't getting reloaded for some reason.
>>
>>54177343
IIRC atheros ones don't need a blob anymore
>>
>>54177494
xev?
>>
Reposting from the previous thread.

I'm dual booting 16.04 and Windows 10. It was working fine at first, but after booting into Windows and rebooting, I'm unable to reach the GRUB menu to pick an OS. I tried disabling Fast Boot in both my BIOS and Windows.
>>
>>54177851
Maybe this is a time for some thought. Think about whether you really need to use windows or not. Maybe you would be happy with just GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54177851
Install and run boot-repair from a livecd
>>
File: LGS.jpg (137 KB, 607x758) Image search: [Google]
LGS.jpg
137 KB, 607x758
Pretty new, trying out Linux Mint and GNU/Linux in general trying to escape Windows as a primary operating system

Loving it on my laptop, definitely will keep it,
but I'm discouraged about putting it on my desktop because of this single issue.

I have a Logitech G402 Gaming Mouse that I've macro'd the side buttons (default forward/backward buttons) for fast scrolling at a press of a button. Essentially scroll once every 5ms while the button is held down in Logitech Gaming Software and it's actually been very useful for my productivity.

I was wondering how I could achieve this in Mint itself as I can't save this type of macro to on-board memory on the mouse
>>
File: 1460005518447.jpg (391 KB, 1125x1600) Image search: [Google]
1460005518447.jpg
391 KB, 1125x1600
Just started up an Xubuntu live USB and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. The process was a lot more painless than I expected after I finally nutted up and downloaded the ISO, and after only a few minutes of changing settings (which will reset after I shut down but w/e) it feels pretty darn solid.

Thanks, freetards. I've learned something important today.
>>
File: 1442803406297.gif (2 MB, 468x360) Image search: [Google]
1442803406297.gif
2 MB, 468x360
>>54179063
>GNU/Linux
>>
>want to replace windows partition with a fresh windows install
This will fuck my bootloader up right? Is it easy to fix?
>>
>>54179352
It probably will break GRUB; but fixing it is as easy as running boot-repair from a livecd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiJokVR9YaY
>>
>>54179399
Ok cool, thanks. Need to clear whatever Lenovo put on this install, its like 30GB without me having installed fuckall
>>
>>54178850
If you do this, make sure to disconnect all of your non-boot drives. If you don't, it can make all of your drives boot drives.
>>
>>54177851
disable secureboot
>>
>>54179431
wew, didn't know this. thanks
>>
What do you guys think about Manjaro?
>>
>>54179552
Week-old Antergos
>>
>>54179552
Pretty shitty if you're an AMD user trying to update fglrx
>muh mhwd dependancies
>>
>>54179552
just go through the Arch install, you will be better off.
>>
Since Antergos is basically an Arch installer, if the developers decided to one day quit the project all together, would it still function and update? Is it that much of an Arch installer?
>>
>>54179552
It's alright. It's like if Mint used a better package manager.
>>
With Ubuntu 16.04 LTS out now, what does a new LTS version of Linux offer over another? I.e. why is 16.04 better than 15.10? Using MATE if that matters.
>>
>>54179867
I am pretty sure that it would work for a while, and probably with some fidgteing for quite a while. But eventually you would need to start fixing things manually.

I have an Arch installer from over a year ago, and in order for it to work well I need to update the installer's keys, for example. Its not a big deal but I doubt that Antegros does that by default. As time goes on things change slowly and eventually they will not be the same.
>>
>>54179895
Updated packages and things not breaking on you eventually. 15.10 will stop getting support in July, which is nothing in comparison to 16.04 which will get support for the next 5 years. You should move to 16.04 at some point.
>>
>>54179867
It should, yeah. Antergos isn't even its own distro. It literally just takes a base install of Arch and adds one extra repo.
>>
GUys how do I make a bootable USB stick from Ubuntu?

I want to install windows 10 then install Ubuntu on another partition.
>>
>>54180400
For a GNU/Linux iso, you can just use dd. Windows 10 needs unetbootin to make a bootable USB drive. Windows installers overwrite any existing bootloader, so you'll need to reinstall GRUB from a USB booted GNU/Linux if you want to keep your old Ubuntu install. And Windows 10 does some confusing UEFI stuff.
>>
>>54177225
Has anyone tried to watch the GNU logo while on shrooms? It looks interesting like that
>>
When I try to boot into a Ubuntu installer I just get a crash. I think it's because it doesn't want to cooperate with my GTX950. I tried booting right into the installer and that worked but after booting into Ubuntu it just crashes after login I tried installing Nvidia drivers through TTY but that also did not work. Any ideas here?

This has also happened with Korora/Fedora and Ubuntu 14.04, 15.04 and 15.10 and is the only thing stopping me from making the switch.
>>
>>54179063
Hey I don't have no fancy mouse but the standard solution is to run xev while you push down the button and see what the button is called then run a command from ~/.xbindkeysrc on that button press. In you case you will want to start eg
xdotool click --delay 5000 --repeat 99999 5[/click] or a script which calls 
xdotool click 5
every 5 seconds when that button is pressed and then kill whatever you started when you get
release+<that_button>
>>
>>54180652
>GNU/Linux
lmao.

Nvm I managed to fuck up my USB drive even more, going to do it with windows from laptop - it just works click click.

I'm already aware of that that's why I said going to install windows 10 first then Ubuntu again.
>>
>>54180726
>s#/click#/code#
*sigh*
>>
>>54177260
WorksForMe™
>>
>>54177225
add this to vm pasta
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
>>
I formated USB stick from Ubuntu and now windows doesn't even see it, but it shows as properly working back on Ubuntu
>>
>>54180918
Windows probably cannot read the filesystem. Format it for FAT32 and it will work cross platform.
>>
>>54180953
good point tyvm.
>>
>>54180953
tried that still doesn't work.
>>
>>54180983
Then you may want to check in Windows volume management and see if the drive is getting assigned a drive letter. I've seen that happen with conflicting drive letters. Otherwise, verify your partition table and filesystem.
>>
>>54181013
Already done that.
Otherwise, verify your partition table and filesystem

It is MBR and fat 32
>>
>>54180983
>>54181036
ensure the partition type is "microsoft basic data", linux doesn't really care about partition type codes, but windows does
>>
>>54181041
Hey it suddenly started to work. I formated from windows really quick to make sure I'll have no more problems.
>>
>>54181052
Good to hear. Glad you got it working, anon.
>>
>>54177851
You most likely have "secure" boot turned on. Windows will destroy anything that might give you freedom since win8 at boottime. If this malware is disabled, windows should leave alternative software alone.
>>
why can i only boot with "nomodeset" as an option when i don't have fglrx installed (any distro)? and why is performance without it and any other driver so bad that not even the UI animations work fluidly? am i missing something? running on a radeon hd 7800
>>
I have a folder of multiple tgz files how would i unzip them all at once.
I i use " tar zxvf *.tgz " it lists them and crashes without leaving me with the uncompressed files
>>
>>54182259
Try
tar xvzf '*.tgz'
>>
>>54182313
tar xvzf '*.tgz' -- INSERT --
tar (child): *.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

think i may need to add a loop with a timer
>>
>>54177225
So I'm looking to make the jump from Windows to Linux as my primary OS. I've used Mint as a secondary OS for about a year now and Microsoft's draconian ways are actually starting to scare me.

Unfortunately, I also still use a lot of Windows-only software and games so I'd like to still be able to use these with no real issues.

I've read about GPU pass-through and VirtualBox's seamless mode so I'm wondering if there's any way that I can get these two to play nicely together so I can still run my programs and games in a Virtual Machine but without having to have the entire desktop open (somewhat like Parallels for Mac)
>>
>>54182347

Leave the quotes out. With quotes the * isn't a wildcard, but a literal string.
>>
Trying to get rsnapshot to work but cant get an initial sync going. There are no reported syntax errors and the command rsnapshot daysago just finished instantly with no changes to directories.
>>
Total beginner here so bear with me...
Gonna dualboot win7 and latest mint but not sure how to share documents, music, videos etc. seamlessly. Tried to poke around the net but no clear results. So... how do?
Thanks.
>>
GUys what are the benefits of running ubuntu instead of let's say arch with my favorite DE and the least amount of packages - aka fonts, browser, w/e apps I use and that's it.
>>
>>54182641
>[23/Apr/2016:12:04:18] /usr/bin/rsnapshot >daysago: started
>[23/Apr/2016:12:04:18] echo 52531 > >/home/dan/rsnapshot.pid
>[23/Apr/2016:12:04:18] rm -f >/home/dan/rsnapshot.pid
>[23/Apr/2016:12:04:18] /usr/bin/rsnapshot >daysago: completed successfully

This is all I get in the log file.

>backup /mnt/RAID10/ localhost/RAID10BACKUP/
>backup /home/ localhost/homebackup/
>backup /etc/ localhost/etcbackup/
>backup /usr/local/ localhost/usrlocalbackup/
>exclude /mnt/RAID10/.Trash*
>exclude /mnt/RAID10/lost+found
>exclude /mnt/RAID10/Unfinished

These are the directories that are in rsnapshot.conf
>>
>>54182722
literally none
>>
>>54182739
Great now I have to decide between Arch and Gentoo - some gentoo shills provided some arguments that almost mesmerized me and now I'm in doubt.

Arch felt like an easier, better experience - it literally just works and stays bleeding edge... + if I checked news feed before updating I literally avoided major problems.
>>
>>54182722
stability
>>
>>54182259
ls *.tgz | xargs -n1 tar xvzf

for f in *.tgz;do tar xvf "$f";done

etc, might even be able to do cat *.tgz | gunzip | tar -x but can't be bothered checking. Where would you need a timer?
>>
>>54182699
If you mean share them with other people over the network you can use samba which implements windows file sharing. If you mean share them between linux and windows on the same pc you can mount your windows partition in linux easily (although you have to not use that speedy shutdown/startup option that the new windows has).
>>
So turns out im liking my linux boot more and more, but im running out of space on the install partition
Would moving my home folder to another drive help?
>>
>>54182847
moving contents of your home directory would.
>>
>>54182838
Was a bit unclear perhaps. But yes, what I want to do is share my documents etc. across the two systems.
Eg. when I click 'Music' in Win7 I get to the same folder as when I click 'Music' in Mint. Preserving the full functionality of those 'native' folders on each OS.
I guess one way to do it was to make the Linux partition readable from win7 then simply just move the default location of 'Music' in win7. But maye there is a better way?
>>
>>54182869
>like this?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
>>
>>54182799
>>54182799
not sure was thinking that i would need to wait for each file to uncompress but this works thanks alot mate
>>
How long till we can finally have amdgpu-pro and mesa implementation in official repos of major distributions? I want to believe.
>>
>>54182875
It would be better to do it the other way around because linux is better at reading ntfs than windows is at reading ext4 or whatever. You will need to add the windows partition in fstab so it is mounted somewhere (like /home/myuser/windows/) delete you Music (or whatever) folder (copy stuff out of it first if necesary) then symlink the music folder from the windows partition to where the one was on linux. If you are unsure of any step they should all be covered in places like the arch wiki or via google.
>>
File: 1445397708393.png (194 KB, 580x922) Image search: [Google]
1445397708393.png
194 KB, 580x922
>>
>>54182758
Gentoo is objectively better but if you don't have time to learn/tinker/compile then use Arch.
>>
>>54184033
truly, arch is the greatest distro
>>
>>54184229
>things plebs believe
>>
>>54182758
>decide between Arch and Gentoo
Do you want to compile all your software yourself? The answer to that tells you which of those 2 you should choose
>>
What is the default non-bloat window manager for ricing? I'm bored of the hacker terminal look
>>
>>54184952
I meant login manager tho
>>
Why does the updated mirrorlist on Arch have all of the servers commented out? That seems dumb, I would either have to uncomment everything manually or edit my old file and replace all of the new hyperlinks. Is there an easier way to handle this?
>>
>>54184971
they are all bloat, do you really need one?
>>
>>54184952
lightdm probably, i think it's the only one (slim was discontinued) not bound/developed by to a Desktop Environment.

Or if you want to keep it real nigga use XDM
>>
>>54185013
pacman-mirrors -g
>>
>>54177260
Why are you such a contrarian retard?
>>
>>54185076
No, but I want my laptop to look like a properly functioning system.
>>54185079
I wanna be the freshest mothafucka in town anon
>>
I need the Alt key for Blender but MAT interferes with that. In the keybind section there's a keybind that just says Alt+, I assume that's what's doing it, but it can't be removed. Any help with this?
>>
>>54185240
I mean MATE of course.
>>
>>54185240
>>54185260
Control Center >> Windows >> "Behaviour" Tab

Change the Movement Key from Alt to Super/Windows key
>>
File: Stallman_Zootopia.jpg (50 KB, 439x341) Image search: [Google]
Stallman_Zootopia.jpg
50 KB, 439x341
>>
I like ubuntu, but is it good to start moving away from Cononical?
>>
File: 1449363511726.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1449363511726.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>54185582
I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
>>
>>54185762
fuck off richy
>>
>>54185762
What if I set ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE" and set the boot entry to "Gentoo GNU+Linux"?
>>
Tried arch, now boot just takes me to
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
What do lads?
>>
>>54185858
That's not the point. It's about the default state the distro is shipped with. Take Debian, it's a perfectly free distro, but makes it easy to install nonfree sofrware.
Stallmans doesn't like the idea that a user, who espects that every software is free, is able to accidently install nonfree software without warning, this makes all distros with such access nonfree.
>>
>>54185981
so if I were to release my own version of Gentoo, properly call it a GNU+Linux distro and by default supply the accept_license part, would it be a proper free distro?
>>
>>54185981
>accidently
Enabling non-free repos by accident? Sure thing.
>>
>>54186004
Yes.
>>
>>54185942
reinstall grub, generate a new grub config
>>
>>54186030
I would but I can't type or boot to usb or anything, it's just stuck on the kernel panic page
>>
>>54186004
The name is not relevant, only the access to non-free stuff.
>>
>>54186042
you can't boot your arch install media?
>>
>>54177225
I just swapped from antergos (MATE) to ubuntu mate 16.04 will my battery last longer, shorter or will it not matter?
>>
I have a dual boot (win7 + arch). Can I remove win7 without formatting everything?
>>
>>54186103
Nope, looks like it's freezing. I can't type anything
>>
>>54185076

They look nice, enable my parents to easily use a multi-user setup and they make the transition/X startup neater.
>>
>>54186175
that doesn't make sense, how did you install it?
>>
>>54185013

>sort them by rating
>delete all but the first 10
>replace #Server with Server
>>
>>54186344
Followed the beginner's guide. Anyway I managed to boot to BIOS finally just now, so it's all good.
Just need to figure out what went wrong with my boot config stuff
>>
>>54185013
use reflector to manage mirrors list.
reflector --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist --sort rate --latest 21
>>
>>54186162
Yes, just format the partition windows 7 is on. However, if you want to extend the arch partition with the unused space you will have, you may want to back-up and format your whole drive again as extending used partitions can be unsafe.
>>
>>54186004
As long as you can re-enable it it's not good enough
>>
I installed virtual box but it only runs ubuntu and not anyother. Keep saying "No bootable device, the system is haltred" and crash miserably
>>
>>54186415

What do you mean by unsafe?
>>
>>54186560
There is always some risk involved when resizing used partitions in terms of data loss. These days the resizing tools work very well so it's not that big of an issue, but it's still advisable to back-up any critical data you can't afford to lose, if any.
>>
Hello i have a new soundcard scarlett i2i how can i make this card work on Ubuntu, i cant get sound out of it
>>
>>54186663
install gentoo of course
>>
So whenever I mount one of my volumes my wallpaper changes and some of my desktop icons disappear (file system, home directory etc)
>>
>>54186663
pavucontrol, enable/unmute it
>>54186714
kill yourself, >>>/r/eddit
>>
File: 1433392562556.jpg (69 KB, 303x350) Image search: [Google]
1433392562556.jpg
69 KB, 303x350
>>54186714
I'd just like to interject for a moment. The operating system you are
suggesting for me to install, and rather commandingly might I add, will
in fact, not directly solve my current problem at hand, and will actually
cause me to ask further questions about the difficult process involved in
installing it. Gentoo is a very nice operating system unto itself, but I'd
rather you directly assist me in my quest to solve my current predicament.

I understand that many computer users run the Gentoo Linux operating
system, and I realize they may enjoy it greatly and are not currently
experiencing the current problem that I have whilst using my non-Gentoo
operating system. Through a peculiar turn of events, I have noticed an
enormous amount of users make the Install Gentoo suggestion, but many of
its users are not aware that this suggestion, in most cases, is actually
not an easy-fix to every single computer-related error.

There really are reasons for installing Gentoo, and there are people using
it, but it is just for the few users who choose to compile their own source
code locally according to their chosen configuration. Gentoo is just another
operating system: the problems I am experiencing will not undeviatingly
be solved if I make the choice to install it. All these so-called Install
Gentoo suggestions I am noticing should cease immediately.
>>
>>54177225
>not making it /fgt/
>>
>>54186916
>>>/b/
>>
>>54186916
kill yourself
>>
>>54186748
Where are you mounting it? If you're mounting it on an existing directory that has files in it, it will cover up those files.
>>
>>54177598
You can put a script in /lib/systemd/system-sleep.
Scripts in that directory will be invoked when suspending and resuming with argument "pre" before suspending or "post" after waking up.
So you'd want to make a script that, if the first argument is "post", reload your module.
I'm not 100% sure this is the right way to do it but I use that method to lock my screen on resume and it works well for me on Debian Stretch.
>>
Are there any must-read books, for the GNU+Linux enthusiast?
>>
>>54186111
Install tlp.
>>
>>54187405
No. Browse the web and learn to use google.
>>
>>54187419
Really? There's not one worthwhile book on Linux?
>>
>>54187416
had/have tlp on both just wondering if different distros give significantly different battery life
>>
>>54187442
No. We're in 2016 anon. We're no more in 80s
>>
File: IMG_20160423_185757.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_185757.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
Right went through the gentoo install following the handbook. On kernel config I tried a bunch of times with nconfig but constantly get this error when I run make.

Did the old
genkernel all
and got it to boot etc, but turns out there isn't a driver installed from my broadcom WiFi chip

So, make mrproper and nconfig again, doesn't matter what I do I keep getting a ton of 'requested alignment is not an integer constant' errors like in pic related

The fuck is going on?
Experience is about 3 years with arch but never hand compiled a kernel on gentoo
>>
>>54187463
Guess it depends on what tweaks they do. But I'm don't have specifics.
>>
debian vs ubuntu mate

does debian have all the packages ubuntu does?
>>
>>54187500
Slightly older packages.
>>
>>54187405
For starters debian handbook and tlcl
>>
>>54187500
>>54187521
Not if you use Sid

>Ubuntu packages are based on packages from Debian's unstable branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29#History_and_development_process
>>
>>54187492
I should say that its the -ck kernel
gonna try and compile the normal one in the meantime
>>
>>54177279
Because you don't have life begin with.
>>
>>54187492
>>54187649
fuck it im going back to arch
>>
>>54187671
>burn attempt 17 hours later
Epic reply anon
>>
any rsnapshot users here?

Nothing happens when I use sync_first 1 option. Without it the .sync folder never gets created and it jumps right to the rotating backups.

It was supposed to be fixed in 1.3.1 but it doesn't fucking seem like it.
>>
>>54187492
>he didn't use funtoo
https://github.com/nichoski/kergen
that might help. There is a command to get a config from the loaded modules, you can do this from a functioning live usb.
>>
In GNU nano, I make heavy use of the cutbuffer, which allows you to cut multiple lines and paste them elsewhere.

Is there a way to get GNU nano to access the global clipboard so I don't have to manually cut and paste text with my mouse to share snippets?
>>
>>54187856
>>54187649
>>54187492

sub-op here
found the issue, turns out despite having a broadwell processor just changing it to native solved the compile problem

recompiling will update for my own pleasure
>>
How to build mpv for ubuntu?
>>
File: steamnotworking.png (109 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
steamnotworking.png
109 KB, 1366x768
I can't seem to run steam. It was working fine until 1 or 2 days ago, but now it won't start.

Pic related, it says I'm missing drivers and then stops. I am certain I have the drivers.

I also can't get any games to run either, with the same error. I tried reinstalling what I think were the correct drivers, but it didn't help.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions
>>
File: 1439833461581.png (411 KB, 800x967) Image search: [Google]
1439833461581.png
411 KB, 800x967
>>54188494
>>
>>54188522
Yeah, I know. But the problem isn't just with steam, it's also with games I already have installed.

I think it's an issue with 3d acceleration drivers
>>
>>54188494
Purge the libraries. Worked for me.
>>
>>54188572
Which libraries exactly?
>>
What handheld laptops (or equivalent) support GNU/Linux?
>>
>>54188586
dell xps'es.
thinkpads without discrete gpus
>>
>>54188476
Sudo apt install mpv
>>
my dorm wifi has this annoying login gate thing that requires you to input your details before it lets you browse other sites. This fucks up my tinkering with terminal-based installations since I really need internet access for some of them and it looks like you just need a GUI browser. Thing is, I can connect to the network and ping IPs just fine, just not full sites. Is there a way around this from the terminal?
>>
>>54188991
>I can't read
>>
>>54189194
My dorm has the same thing.
My workaround was to use a router.
This means I login once and since I never leave the network, I don't have to login again.
Maybe it works on yours too.
>>
 $ file gimp.xpm
gimp.xpm: X pixmap image, ASCII text

Why is 'file' telling me this pixel map image is also an ASCII text file?
>>
>>54189356
Maybe it is.
>>
This is sort of a dumb question... How do you make floating point operations in bc?
Like if I wanted to know what 1/3 is, how can I make it say 0.333 rather than 0?
>>
>>54189356
Perhaps because you can literally view all the data in a text editor. That is how data is stored in non-binary file types, brainiac.
>>
>>54188038
managed to recompile, forgot to enable block devices properly or ext4 or something, then snapped my usb stick in the slot. no laptop :(
>>
how do I map keycode 125 to escape?
xmodmap is too confusing
>>
>>54189475
Learn xmodmap you retard

xbindkeys might also work
>>
>>54189194
normally those gateways have text entry bosex that work fine with elinks, links, lynx etc
>>
File: 1433201984772.png (34 KB, 1141x197) Image search: [Google]
1433201984772.png
34 KB, 1141x197
>>54189428
bc -l
>>
>>54189422
I'll be damned.
http://pastebin.com/eQv7dxqB

>>54189458
That is how data is stored in non-binary file types, brainiac.

I " file'd " a png and it did not say it was an ASCII text file. Also tried to nano one and the information is encoded.
>>
>>54189495
can you do it for me
I tried lerning xmodmap and setxkbmap, but it's too confusing

just tell me what to put I'm .Xmodmap
>>
>>54189428
literally just use the python prompt, i've even got bc as an alias to python now
>>
>>54189475
Xev the keys you want to modify.
Then xmodmap -pke | grep -E 'key1|key2' to see how xmodmap views them, swap the content in your file
>>
>>54189356
less gimp.xpm

what do you see?
>>
>>54189514
>I " file'd " a png and it did not say it was an ASCII text file.
because a PNG is a binary format
>>
>>54189529
>>54189514
>>
>>54189541
Oh. Thanks, I'll look more into that.
>>
>>54189525
Might be the solution I end using.
I wanted to make dmenu useable and everyone uses bc as their calculator.
Why python over R? For math stuff, R seems to be better.
>>
>>54189461
fuck man, that's bad.
>>
>>54189514
So it's a ascii text file too. It's even a valid C source file (that file format was to allow embedding in C programe).
>>
>>54189525
>not using the shell
>>
>>54188476
just use the ppa if you can't into make.
>>
>>54189528
what file?
I have no idea what to do
>>
>>54189605
I can't read
>>
How do I watch Netflix in 1080p on Arch?
Sidenote: On Window the res is restricted to IE/Edge, on OSX to Safari, otherwise you get 720p.
>>
>>54189645
you can't read the documentation? that explains it
>>
getting a lot of
>Apr 23 21:10:45 ubuntu kernel: [291757.013632] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=d0:bf:9c:46:cc:88:9c:d3:6d:4c:0d:f7:08:00 SRC=104.244.42.131 DST=192.168.0.15 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=54 ID=35412 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=443 DPT=36274 WINDOW=0 RES=0x00 RST URGP=0

Sometimes up to 15 of these in under 10 seconds. Is there a way I can interpret all this jargon somehow?
>>
>>54189655
packer -S google-chrome
>>
>>54189655
you can't run IE/Edge or Safari.
You're stuck on 720p

Enjoy your shitty DRM content
>>
>>54187169
Thanks for this anon, if you're still around.
>>
Please join this discord link and cancer some :) https://discordapp.com/channels/171199831224614912/171199831224614912
>>
>>54189798
>discord
>proprietary bullshit

where do you think you are?
>>
File: 1440890894779.png (5 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1440890894779.png
5 KB, 400x400
I want to compile Linux and make modifications, just for the sake of learning. Can anyone point me to the right directions, links, howtos?
>>
File: firefox_2016-04-23_16-39-28.jpg (298 KB, 640x877) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-04-23_16-39-28.jpg
298 KB, 640x877
>>54189798
>please join this discord
>>
>>54189811
This is the one time where you actually should specify if you're talking about the kernel. If you're talking about the OS, you can't "compile" it because it's not a program. If you want documentation on the basics of the OS and its architecture TLDP is a good place.

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html

As far as modifying it as you see fit, there's Linux From Scratch

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>>
>>54189686

Those are blocked connections by ufw.
>>
>tfw 4.5 kernel
I don't remember, which kernel version will have AMDGPU merged in without any tweaking?
>>
>>54189901
Thank you kind sir, yes I was referring to the kernel.
>>
>>54189938
I see. Hopefully someone else can chime in because kernel hacking goes over my head.
>>
>>54177225
Installed ubuntu 16.04 on my latitude e5450. Now each time a sound starts playing I hear a popping noise. Anyone here having the same problem?
>>
>went balls deep on linux by getting kali linux 2016.1
>i fucking love it
>>
File: 6314.jpg (28 KB, 129x128) Image search: [Google]
6314.jpg
28 KB, 129x128
>having two computers running linux suddenly and having to worry about keeping all the files in sync

This is a nightmare.

>edit file on one
>have to remember to manually copy it to the other
>can't trust a script or machine to do this, because i need to decide which version to keep and which to disregard
>constantly copying files back and forth
>>
File: 1460315900309.png (3 KB, 228x56) Image search: [Google]
1460315900309.png
3 KB, 228x56
>>54189964
>>
>>54189925
I figured that. What I'd like to know if this is pretty normal or if something or someone is targeting me?

I tried setting up SSH not long ago and within 15 minutes had several login attempts from the netherlands and russia and now I'm seeing all these connection attempts. Makes me wonder how many actually get through?
>>
File: DUrp.png (11 KB, 536x97) Image search: [Google]
DUrp.png
11 KB, 536x97
Can't run steam :c
Im gettin this:
>>
Can you symlink accross different machines?
>>
>>54189972
>not just having one folder shared by both with rsnapshots or rsync running every few minutes
>>
>>54189972
Use the command line. man cp, man rsync, see >>54189975
>>
>>54190017
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=symlink+over+network&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=peAbV8--GYrwapzUiegO
>>
>>54189991

Dunno, I'm getting those too sometimes, even without sshd running.
Did you change your sshd port from the default 22 to something else? It will reduce the number of random login attempts.
>>
>>54189964
>kali
Make sure to use a debian install and a kali live medium. If you decide to actually install kali, which you shouldn't, configure sudo.
>>
>>54190047
Nah I didn't change it as I was only beginning to mess around with it. Had I gotten it to work I would have made sure to pick a different port and forward it. I can't remember what happened but I probably ran into an issue and abandoned it. I use webmin 99% of the time and so far it's bretty gud.
>>
>>54189972
and this is easier on windoze/osx?

rsync it nigga
>>
>>54189972
>maing it sound like running linux somehow makes this harder
>implying it's not easier

nigga theres dozens of fucking tools that do that
>>
>>54190020

Can you elaborate on that a bit more?

>>54190026

I already am. I use a little utility script to compare hashes and show if some files have changed. Then I "manually" check which ones I like to keep and use another scp abstraction utility script to copy files.

>>54190157

No, it wasn't. The difference was that I didn't have to keep config/build files in sync, but only personal files. Even then they were always copied from one "source" location to a different device. Now I edit stuff from both computers.
>>
>>54190210
Like I said just having a shared folder for both would take away a step already. So either host the folder on the machine thats always on or a third one.

That would take away syncing, except backup of course.
>>
fucking /v/edditors

go fix your shitty proprietary garbage yourself you faggots
>>
>>54190210
sounds like you need whatever that git for desktop program is

here's one called bup, but I'm sure it's not the only one available
https://bup.github.io/
>>
>>54189616
You can basically save a copy of xmodmap -pke to ~/.Xmodmap (only actually store the lines you changed or it takes a couple of seconds before your keyboard works) it should be loaded automatically.
If it doesn't, call xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap in your startup script.
>>
>>54189964
I ficked around with Kali for a hile but I'm a total fish out of water when it comes to pentesting. I could barely even capture a wifi handshake, let alone decypher the password
>>
>>54189964
lel you didn't even get the tip in mate
>>
>>54188494
Here's an update for anyone who wants to try and help:

It's not all games that have an issue, it seems that only games that require steam have an issue. Others are working fine on their own.

Also pls resbong
>>
>>54191456
this might help
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues
>>
My arcade stick is not working.

Linux recognize it, I have a
/dev/input/js0
file and two files in
/dev/input/by-id
: one ending with
-event-joystick
and another ending with
-joystick
. Tested with
jstest /dev/input/js0
and everything is working.

While in game it looks like I'm controlling 2 players at the same time and "UP" is pressed at all times. I tried disabling one using
wine control joy.cpl
but didn't worked. I tried deleting a a file (I deleted the
-joystick
one) and again, no results. I'm using Arch by the way. Any ideas?
>>
File: 1457724904836.jpg (23 KB, 594x334) Image search: [Google]
1457724904836.jpg
23 KB, 594x334
>>54191590
I deleted the runtime libraries for steam and now it works perfectly.
Thanks a bunch dude, don't know why I didn't check the arch wiki earlier.
>>
>>54189194
Sounds like a http transparent proxy. Do https sites still connect without logging in? A VPN should get around it.
>>
>>54189428
scale=3;1/3
or echo scale=3 > ~/.bc
>>
Can someone explain why 'ls -ld' shows /etc being 12K's but it clearly has files that add up to more than 12K's inside of it? Does it have to do with inodes?
>>
>>54186456
In that case there is not a single free distro, since you can get non-free software on every distro.
>>
I use bitlbee in weechat but I get this when I load up weechat:

1615 @root │ If you already have an account on this server, just use the identify command to
│ identify yourself.
1615 @root │ Incorrect password

If I 'identify password' it loads everything up but just won't save this, does the same thing each time. How can I get it to save?
>>
>>54192225
It's the side of the directory itself, not it's contents.
>>
>>54192261
What command will tell me the size of the directory plus its contents?

Also, what do you mean the size of the directory itself? Different directories have different sizes; if that size is not determined by its contents, then what is it determined by?
>>
>>54192305
I don't know exactly why ls -ld shows what it shows and what that means, but probably you're looking for
du -h /etc
>>
 mv '^[A-B]' uppercase/
mv: cannot stat '^[A-B]': No such file or directory

Why isn't this working? I want to move all files starting with an uppercase later to the directory uppercase/
>>
Considering getting a laptop from system76 or think penguin for my next machine. Thoughts?
>>
>>54192673
mv [A-Z]* uppercase
>>
>>54192716
The caret only works with a single char or string, and not with a range of characters then, correct?
>>
File: 1457859818563.png (214 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1457859818563.png
214 KB, 400x462
>>54192699
>>>/out/
>>
>>54192743
By quoting with '', you're not using globs. You're passing the string directly to mv. mv is looking for a file named ^[A-B].
>>
>>54192810
Also, yes it works with globs buf the caret goes inside the brackets. [^AB]
>>
>>54192794

How about I post anyways...
>>
>>54192897
How about Reddit?
>>
>>54192897
replies mocking you is everything you'll get, retard
>>
>>54192919
Reddit can eat a dick.

>>54192930
Nah, I've got plenty of useful replies on 4chan while using a trip.
>>
>>54192699
since this is a friendly thread, i'll just say go for it if you've got the dough.

it's always nice to support a company with our interests in mind.
>>
>>54188586
I put Fedora on my ASUS laptop just fine.
>>
>>54192305
Also use ncdu if you want a nice graphical sorted interactive du view in the terminal.
>>
>>54193010

Alright. My idea mainly is that I want a Linux machine that's not going to give me any driver issues (everything send to have some odd quirk for me, mainly with regards to Wi-Fi and sound). I'm starting to figure right now that first party support for Linux may be the best option for an ideal development laptop.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.