[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: rms-linus.jpg (34 KB, 750x462) Image search: [Google]
rms-linus.jpg
34 KB, 750x462
Previously on: >>54140533

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
first for it's linux, not GNU/linux
>>
2nd for "wasn't there a script to automatically post these threads?"
>>
third for
how do you get numix on xubuntu?
>>
>>54165854
#add-apt-repository ppa:numix/ppa
#apt-get update
#apt-get install numix-gtk-theme numix-icon-theme-circle
>>
File: 1405808658250.png (9 KB, 387x429) Image search: [Google]
1405808658250.png
9 KB, 387x429
>>54165880
thank you
>>
>>54165763
Why do you guys always feel the need to say GNU/Linux instead of just Linux? It's just the license. Just as stupid as to say "GNU/Clover".
>>
>>54166004
GNU is not a license. GNU is a software project.
>>
I got insulted by Richard for saying Linux. So say GNU Operating System
>>
>>54166004
GNU is an operating system. Linus wanted to create an OS too but didn't end up making the rest of it. Linus even said "It won't be big and professional like GNU". Then people took Linux and plopped it into GNU and created a full OS. Stop shilling your terrible opinions based on ignorance.
>>
I have done your mother
>RMS
>>
>>54166015
>>54166040
Fine, you corrected me on that one, but you still haven't answered my question.
>>
>>54166081
Because that's what is fucking is.
>>
File: 1457447443083.jpg (598 KB, 2304x3456) Image search: [Google]
1457447443083.jpg
598 KB, 2304x3456
>>54166084
Alright, thanks. No need to get upset.
>>
>>54165880
>>54165854
Could have just downloaded it from github and put symlinks in /usr/share/themes
>>
>>54166205
>what is $HOME/.local/share/themes
>>
>>54166226
>what is a multi-user-setup
>>
>>54166296
That's pulled out of your arse and you know it.

If I asked the admins at work if they could symlink me some stupid ass icon theme I pulled from gh to my $HOME they would simply delete the ticket because thats per user configuration.

On my home machine, I'm the only user using X anyhow, so there would be no difference into where I put it.
>>
I installed the new Ubuntu LTS release and then cinnamon as my DE.

Having some minor problems with the style right now. For example in Eclipse most of the buttons always look like they are disabled (sort of greyish) and some icons are missing here and there. What do I need to install to fix this.
>>
>>54166450
>What do I need to install to fix this.
Install Plasma.
>>
>>54166341
I do this on the family computer because gnome looks shit with all of the default themes. I don't want fuck with stuff from other users because I respect their freedoms.
>>
>>54165880
what about lubuntu?
>>
>>54166481
It's the same thing
>>
>>54165880
>apt-get
just use apt for that glorious loading bar
>>
Real talk, niggas

How many of you Linux users are virgins?
>>
>>54166504
lost mine at 15.
with my 16 yo cousin
she had a bf
i cucked him
felt good the next day he came to visit
>>
File: _55587426_savile1_bodybbc.jpg (11 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
_55587426_savile1_bodybbc.jpg
11 KB, 224x224
>>54166520
Felt good to fuck your family?
>>
>>54166549
It must have felt...familiar.
>>
>>54165880
I think you're supposed to uncomment those lines anon.
>>
>>54166554
It must have felt...familia
>>
>>54166504
Having sex with a cow, i guess, it was my goddess.
>>
>>54166554
Carlos!
>>
>>54166578
Pajeet plz
>>
What are best newb distros now?
I'm going to guess ubuntu still, but I installed mint xfce (old shitty lappy) and haven't really had a problem with it coming from windows.
>>
I want to run a small (less than 512MB of RAM) Arch Linux VM, so I want the system overhead to be as light as possible (CPU and RAM are tight) and just use one big tmux window.
Two things that I'd like to get rid of is the X server and a WM (I usually use i3wm). Do they have a measurable memory footprint, or I'll just cripple my system for no good reason?

Also, what's the lightest way to run a Linux VM on Windows? Hyper-V?
>>
>>54166606
Why don't you just log out, log in to a tty and see for yourself?
>>
I have arch
I installed base and base-devel
but base has fs packages I don't need
is there a way to remove those packages while not triggering a reinstallation when I pacman syu?
>>
>>54166592
It felt good, by the way use Microsoft products. >They are good.
>Linux bad.
>>
>>54166622
I fired up a clean VM and the RAM usage goes from 29MB to 55MB with X+i3wm. Doesn't sound too bad to me, I won't ditch the GUI then.

Though the resolution is 640x480 and I'd prefer it to be Full HD. I'll look into that.
>>
>>54166637
Why would it trigger a reinstallation? -Rns it if you don't want it.
>>
>>54166492
oh, thanks
>>
>>54166637
Yes, just uninstall them. They wont get pulled back in.
>>
>>54166596
xubuntu lubuntu
mints a shit
>>
>>54166596
Mint it's a solid option.
Debian works good most of the time, but the official iso, it's purely free software, and that might be really good or bad for some folks. But there's an unofficial image with non free software.
Fedora works out of the box. But of you come from using apt, it might take a while to get used to the management of the packages.
open suse it's good but might be the most bloated and it's directed to the desktop user.
>>
>>54166596
>ubuntu
yes and no. The user interface, the software etc. are pretty cool for new users, but actually it's a very bad one for a new user.
Unity / compiz aren't the most stable DE and wm that exist.
Whenver you try to upgrade ubuntu to a new version, you'll encounter problems. Some people will tell you that you can do a clean install, sure, but the fact is that a user should be able to upgrade is machine normally without fucking up the display server for example (it's an issue on the 16.04)

I don't think there's a good newb distribution. Just install one that come with a DE you like.
>>
>>54166639
>>54165955
>>54166051
the daily Pajeet shill has arrived. Welcome, and remember: if you break the code of conduct -> no rupees in your Bing account
>>
File: 1461141293650.jpg (118 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1461141293650.jpg
118 KB, 600x600
>>54165763
that photo recalls me GNU+Linux
>>
So I installed ubuntu minimal with xubuntu core
how the fuck do I make it work now? It just shows command line on boot.
>>
>>54167478
startxfce4
>>
>>54167534
>is currently not installed
>install xfce4-session
I thought xubuntu core should take care of things?
>>
>>54167478
You need to install/enable a login manager, eg. LightDM. I'm not sure what Xubuntu uses.

16.04 uses systemd so it'd go something like
sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service
>>
>>54167585
I'm on 15.10, and I thought installing xubuntu-core would just make it xubuntu but without any additional software. So it doesn't even have a login thing, that's kinda pointless?
>>
>>54167628
You either use a login manager, or start X through the console. A login manager is pretty pointless imo if you're the only user on that machine. Set up your .xinitrc, then you can either autostart X at login by adding some lines in your .bash_profile or by using startx manually. Your choice
>>
>>54167704
>startx is currently not installed. you can install it by typing:
>apt-get install xinit
I don't think minimal install did what I told it to do.
>>
Found out about "la" by accident today and it's no different from "ls" in bash shell

But with fish shell just typing "la" is the same as "ls -al" so that's neat I guess since that's what I like to use
>>
If rm unlinks a file, what does trashing it do?

And where is the trash located in the system anyway? It's the only place that my file manager doesn't display the path to.
>>
>>54167728
You're stupid, just go back to xubuntu.
>>
>>54167728
Yeah, running install xubuntu-core^ worked, for some reason it apparently did nothing when I selected xubuntu minimal install in the actual setup process.
>>
>>54167779
rm'ing something deletes it permanently. A DE's trash can is located .local/share/Trash I think, at least that's where it's at in my system.
>>
Reasking because I'm desperate

I'm trying to install Manjaro on my desktop using a liveusb, but it won't work. The same flash drive worked fine on my laptop but when I try on my desktop it gets stuck on Starting Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
Does anyone think that they can help with this?
I've since tried an Antergos .ISO and a couple more flavours of Manjaro, but it still won't boot.
>>
>>54167973
how did you write the image to usb?
>>
>>54167779
Trash is just a temp store of things to be deleted after x days.
Essentially you are moving rather than deleting if you send to trash.

I've gotten so used to shift+delete in file explorers that the only time I even see the trash dialogue is because the fucking process hung for so long it registered the delete keypress before the shift.
>>
>>54167973
Are you using dd to create it? Those "lol easy linux usb creator!" tools are garbage and don't work half the time.
>>
>>54168032
dd doesn't work all the time either
>>
>>54168049
probably yes

If you're in EU, you should not worry, no additional customs/tax costs.

If you're in US, you'll get charged if they open the package and it's something shiny and costly.
>>
I've heard one of the big problems with KDE is instability. Will I be experiencing those problems in the new LTS release of Kubuntu? Or does the version that they ship with those releases fixed up?
>>
>>54168066
try this
cat distroforbeginners.iso > /dev/sdb && sync

This is also a GNU thread, so try using the superior utilities
>>
>>54166004
This post made me realize that people read the interjection pasta like the navy seals pasta.
>>
Finally done installing windows 10. Now I can have GNU+Windows and no shitty Linux. This is the future.
>>
I don't post in these threads but is that pic a shoop?

How can these fags take a pic together and smile?
>>
>>54168083
KDE has been shit for almost a decade. What do you think?
>>
>>54168151
Actually, it's Ubuntu+WSL, but I wouldn't expect a retard like you to know that.
>>
File: ouch.png (199 KB, 1051x1358) Image search: [Google]
ouch.png
199 KB, 1051x1358
>>54168083
it looks like it did ship with a few bugs
>>
>>54168066
The Arch wiki has very good instructions for dd. Never failed
>>
>>54168083
>>54168177
I updated to 16.04 on Kubuntu yesterday. The only real annoying bug I've run into so far is #1530523 , but you can always just manually edit your Xorg.conf.
>>
>>54168119
>>54168188

some computers would refuse any sort of iso to usb livecd boot, so I had to follow the instructions here to make the BIOS detect the usb as a non-removable drive:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/Guide
>>
So I'm an Arch user and I think I'm coming to the end of my "Arch is the best" stage, I know my way around linux well enough now and just kinda want an OS that's quick to install and lets me choose my wm as I don't want a DE. I have no idea what to go to?
>>
>>54168260
any distro is fine just pick a minimal install version and slap your WM op top
>>
>>54168015
>>54168032
Initially I used Rufus, and that boots fine on my laptop. I also tried
dd bs=4M if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sdb/

Once again, boots fine on my laptop but not my desktop.
>>
File: 1449156921110.gif (162 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1449156921110.gif
162 KB, 255x255
>>54168260
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've lately taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

There are numerous users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU that is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by GNU developers.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54168260
Arch is the best for your purpose. It's specifically designed for that and it takes 15 minutes to install why are you installing so often that you need something that installs with a button click?

Arch is easy you're just bad.
>>
>>54165763
Hi I've installed linux mint and vmware workstation on it with windows 10
For some reason its not like the experience of windows not in vmware
why is it working like shit in linux?
how can allocate all of the mint resources to the VM?
>>
>>54168392
Take it up with the Arch maintainers, faggot.
>>
what makes arch better than say, gentoo or freebsd?
>>
>>54168415

I'm not installing it often, in fact I haven't re-installed it in over a year now, but I want to re-install on my laptop and the 45 minute install isn't the problem, it's the amount of time you have to spend trying to make a usable desktop space after the install, I don't want to have to do that again, it's too time consuming.
>>
I'm using a panasonic camera and I really like the tool for unloading photos/videos on it. Is there an equivalent on Linux?
>>
>>54168490
pacman.
>>
whats the point of mate?
why not just use lxde or xfce
>>
>>54168490
animuu wallpapers
>>
>>54168499
>>54168415

all I want to do is choose and install a wm, not Xorg, graphics drivers and all those other small packages you need to get a usable desktop behind the scenes.
>>
>>54168490
windows 10
>>
>>54168419
>vmware
could you try it with qemu before trying to troubleshoot this?
>>
>>54168499
>>54168544
Sounds like Antergos is exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>54168499
It took me 1 day, git gud.
>>
>>54168513
Anyone? A programm that can automatically unload all my photos from a camera onto a specific set folder and package them into folders based on date and series?
>>
>>54165763
When I type python in terminal it says it's version 2.7 and when I go sudo apt-get install python3 it says:
python3 is already the newest version.

And when I go print("this") and print "this" both work, so does raw_input and input.
Using mint 17.3.
>>
>>54168769
Run it with python3 instead of just python.
>>
>>54168803
gee I'm stupid, thanks!
>>
guys i want to try ubuntu side by side with windows 10. should i use rufus to make gpt or mbr? disk management says my current drive is gpt if that matters
>>
>>54168835
gpt ofc
>>
>install manjaro
>pacman-key fucks up
>fix it with "rm -R /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/" and refreshing procedure
>until "pacman-key --refresh-keys" everything's fine
>"pacman -Syu" in root again
>asks me to accept every single PGP key by an Y/N request
>there are 610 packets

Pls /fglt/ tell me there's a command to accept multiples PGP keys imports at once in the terminal. If not how do i solve this shit ?

[spoiler]i'm a noob[/spoiler]
>>
>>54168848
i mean i thought so but i wasnt sure. it defaults to mbr, but hasnt everything past windows 8 been gpt? does rufus keep default mbr because of linux or something?
>>
>>54168872
Lots of people still on windows 7, he probably just never changed it. It probably doesn't even matter what you pick. You should have the option in bios to boot it from either uefi or legacy. But just choose gpt incase, since you will be using it in uefi mode anyway.
>>
>>54168895
i see. thanks senpaitachi
>>
Anyone got experience with this?
I tried to access my Lumix Camera
>>
Is there a numix but with a white text on black background for main windows?
Kinda pointless using black scheme when the text is black on searing white.
>>
>>54169064
You can edit it yourself. It's not that hard, just find the colors you want to change, then use replace all in Vim or similar with the new colors. It's located in /usr/share/themes or ~/.themes.
>>
>>54168985
you're trying to access an exFAT volume.
Have you installed exFAT drivers?

Try
sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

if you're on ubanto
>>
Can someone explain why I read "Numix" every day here?
>>
>>54169214
Few reasons
>it's one of the few actually maintained themes that work
>it's somewhat consistent between gtk2 and gtk3 and not even standard gtk3 theme (adwaita) does that
>it has an icon theme which is also maintained
>blindingly bright white flatshit garbage is 1000% "in" at the moment thanks to google, applel and memesoft.
>>
>>54169214
Cause you're literate?
>>
hey, the proprietary drivers are better for nvidia cards on ubuntu over the fucking nouveau one, right?
>>
>>54169214
It's kind of become the default icon/gtk theme. Replacing adwaita. Since adwaita is so ugly. Installing Numix is one of the first things people do on a fresh install.
>>
Are there really no dark-as-my-soul GTK themes that dont mess up dialogs and/or tooltips or have other obvious issues? I've tried almost all on xfce-look.org
>>
So I installed 16.04 Unbuntu + Gnome yesterday and everything was going fine. Go to boot up my laptop today and suddenly I'm not connected to the internet, and my wireless network tab is only showing one network (which I've never even seen before) to connect to.

How do I fix this?
>>
>>54169295
did you try arc-dark?
>>
>>54169105
Neat, thanks.
Currently trying to get Shotwell to bheave.
>>
>>54169271
i like xubuntu's theme way more...
>>
>>54169320
A gnome extension called something like "wireless refresher" or something. I tshould be in the first 2 pages.

Rebooting could also show your network. TH eproblem is network manager only scans once and never again till the next reboot, that's what the extension fixes.
>>
>>54169320
open nmtui and show us what you see
>>
>>54169348
I only use the icon theme. I was just answering the question on why it's so popular.
>>
>>54169334
IIt's nice but I prefer black/dark grey
>>
>>54169370
Because it's clean and looks great without being overbearing and the color combination is easy on the eyes. It also goes well the excellent Numix Icons which covers a lot of apps. That being said, I'm on Arc-Dark atm because the recent GTK update fucked it up.
>>
>>54168717
Maybe use a script for that? And run it when you need to?
>>
>>54169427
Oh shit, I replied to the wrong fag.
>>
>>54169351
>>54169354
Yea I just rebooted and it was fine, didn't know that it only refreshes on reboot. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
Does LXDE have any advantages over xfce besides being slightly lighter on resources?
>>
>>54169543
Not really. It's all about personal preference.
>>
>>54169581
Hover your mouse over the top bar where it says "shotwell".
The globa menu should appear.
What does it say?
>>
cat /proc/uptime outputs
64149.81 102758.56

How is this encoded? (If that's even the right word)
>>
gnunet when
>>
>>54169427
>easy on the eyes
>dark black bars on white windows
>bright red highlights
>>
>>54169759
I use the dark version like any sane man would do.
>>
I have very little experience when it comes to Linux, and I also have some major downtime at work coming up, so I decided to start learning.

Sitting beside me right now is a basic Ubuntu server with open-ssh installed on it, and that's it. No desktop, since I want to really become familiar with shell commands, as I read it's good to be comfortable with them. What are some basic things that I should be trying with it so that I can learn how to manage it for future jobs? I've read that learning bash and python is desirable, but I'm kinda more interested in basic server use at this point.
>>
>>54169777
There's a dark numix version?
Arc-dark looks pretty good on screenshots.
>>
>>54169751
Ill start on the logo
>>
>>54169708
it's the number of seconds silly.

divide 64149.81 by 3600 (number of s in a h) and compare it with the output of
$ uptime

Computers keep time in a system called "unix time".
They count the amount of seconds since Jan 1 1970

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
>>
I know how difficult it is, based on the situation outside of this thread, but It never ceases to amaze me how you guys can remain friendly/helpful.

I love you guys, n-no h-homo
>>
god linux is still a giant hunk of shit
even proprietary drivers still dont support 120hz monitors, at least in any easy fashion
restarts take forever
one took extra long (like over 2 minutes) and when it came back half my desktop wallpaper was missing, shit wasnt rendered correctly and the audio was fucked up
then grub wasnt letting me choose other options, it would just show up for like 2 seconds then get into ubuntu
i thought i was gonna be fucking stuck formatting for windows (again) but eventually it just worked after i fucked with the grub.conf shit even though it was throwing errors the whole time in gedit
not to mention it was having internal errors all day until i added the propriety drivers in the software center and restarted like twice

seriously fuck that shit
>>
>>54170050
Nice blog.
Fuck off back to windows, retard.
>>
File: 1460435915401.webm5.webm (55 KB, 200x160) Image search: [Google]
1460435915401.webm5.webm
55 KB, 200x160
>>54170067
thank god i even could
it almost broke that ability for me too, lmao
>>
>>54170050
l y l

just get gud
>>
>>54170050
What is your problem though?
You haven't stated what do you need help with exactly.

Have you troublehshooted the boot process?

try
systemd-analyze

and
systemd-analyze blame

to see what's taking up so much time

you can post the output here.

bear in mind noone will be able to help yo with proprietary drivers.
they're after all - proprietary

praise GNU.
>>
File: 1459877971282.jpg (803 KB, 600x819) Image search: [Google]
1459877971282.jpg
803 KB, 600x819
>>54170050
Please send a bug report to [email protected].
>>
>>54169871
apparently the second number is the amount of time it has been idle. What does that mean? I never got what an idle system meant; isn't there always some sort of process being ran at all times if the computer is on?
>>
Installing my first distro today.
Going for Mint/xfce, i considered Arch, but going on the wiki page, and seeing those comics, damn, i know those are supposed to be fun, but if it is like that, im not ready for Arch, at least not now.

Aniway, is mint ok to use as as my begginer distro?
>>
>>54170471
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_%28CPU%29
>>
>>54170539
Use Xubuntu instead of Mint+xfce.
Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS but has dumbed down security and incompetent developers.
No need to hamper yourself.
>>
>>54167973
I tried Ubuntu and that booted just fine, but I'm not really interested in putting Ubuntu on my system. Do you guys think that it's a driver issue for Manjaro and Antergos?
>>
>>54170570
wew, thanks.
>>
can I get gmusicbrowser to play wma?
>>
>>54170050
>t 120hz monitors
Intel GPU here, 120hz worked out of the box. You mad?
>>
>>54170588
Ok.
And oh, my processor is an AMD, while the GPU is also Radeon, will i get some trouble or incompatibility?
>>
>>54170706
>And oh, my processor is an AMD, while the GPU is also Radeon
expect shitty aftertaste with your GPU in general. CPU will work just fine.

Proprietary AMD GPU drivers are absolute garbage.

I would advice using LTS release for that purpose exactly, they update the kernel/xorg version rarely so drivers won't shit the bed as often.

Install at your own risk.
Consider using open-radeon drivers, they have inferior performance compared to the proprietary ones but are much less unstable and buggy
>>
>>54170692
find / -type f -iname \*.wma -exec rm -f {} \;
>>
>>54170706
If you can get Kernel4.5 and your AMD gpu is supported the open source driver is on par and in some instances better than the proprietary version.
>>
>>54170661
Now I've gotten into the TTY for Manjaro, but whenever I try to run anything with a GUI it says
QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display 

Would it help if I posted the output of inxi -F?
>>
File: asad.jpg (61 KB, 822x216) Image search: [Google]
asad.jpg
61 KB, 822x216
>>54170823
So, i extract or burn this on a CD/DVD, and boot from it?
>>
Will it be easier for me to understand what SystemD does if I study the old init system? Or am I just wasting my time.
>>
>>54170905
from my experience the most failproof way to boot an OS installer is to actually burn it to optical media.

Default windows "burn image to disk" works just fine for that.

I've had numerous computers that had problems booting an ISO burned to a usb flash drive, but CD/DVD way always works.

But you can always try to do it via usb.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ (worked the last time i used it)
https://rufus.akeo.ie/
>>
>>54170912
wasting your time
>>
>>54171017
Not even to familiarize myself with what an init system does, in general? For example, I am now reading about run levels, does SystemD do something comparable or is it literally dead information?
>>
>>54171087
in general of course.
>>
>>54171087
You might wanna switch mediums. This topic is a bit over 4chan's head.
>>
Switched from OSX Mountain Lion to Ubuntu about a year and a half ago and I'm enjoying it for the most part.
But OSX had GUI tools to:
>view memory usage and clear caches when over 75% of total memory was inaccessible
>view CPU temp and set fan speed thresholds
>run tests to determine closest/fastest DNS servers

And I haven't yet found replacements that feature that degree of functionality.

What are my best options?

If all you got is CLI tools, I'll take those as well.
>>
just wanna ask how much canonical pays
>>
>>54171087
Why not just study systemd?
>>
>>54171301
Ubuntu is very popular, more so than any other distro. I don't like it much personally, but it makes sense that people talk about it on a new LTS version release.
>>
>>54171358
Well, I'm studying the linux system in general. And a lot of the documentation I'm reading was written before systemD, like the stuff at tldp. Since I'm no expert I don't know which information related the old init system is outdated and which is not.
>>
>>54171236
>>view memory usage and clear caches when over 75% of total memory was inaccessible
any system monitor from any DE, gnome-system-monitor, mate-system-monitor, xfce4-system-monitor
And cache is managed automatically numbnut, that's the point of them.

>>view CPU temp and set fan speed thresholds
all DEs i've used have a panel applet for sensors, gnome, mate, xfce, pic related

Fan speed thresholds will probably not get a GUI in the near future because
>they're often very hardware specific and not even lm-sensors/fancontrol works
>messing with them is just stupid, if your hardware temp is too high - they kick in, if it's low - they turn off

>>run tests to determine closest/fastest DNS servers
Bruh, just how fucking often do you change DNS servers?
dnsperf, resperf

If your preferred DNS suffers from a lot of downtime, you shouldn't use it, simple
>>
>>54171414
Tecmint says that Mint is the most used distro, though.
>>
>>54171661
That would surprise me. And sadden me by how retarded normies are. Mint is terrible.
>>
>>54171661
If distrowatch is the source
>>
>>54171464
eh, the first two might be mostly placebo. But it doesn't always just werk.

As for DNS, I've recently moved. Sometimes the default or Google are a bit slower than some local providers. And I'm now in the sticks.

Thanks for answering, though.
>>
>>54166167
hot
>>
>>54166504
think you mean gnu/linux
>>
>>54166004
>GNU
>just the license

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU
>GNU is an operating system
literally the first sentence senpai
>>
>>54166766
>tfw easy a fuck update from 15.10 to 16.04

the 15.10 update on my desktop was shit, but that's mostly because of >amd drivers. nothing a quick revert to the free drivers didn't fix.

after using a lot of the other distros, ubuntu just kinda works so i stayed on it. but as always your mileage may vary.
>>
>>54171001
Thanks for all the help. Used Lili
Xubuntu installed, now, i will take the time to learn
>>
>>54171661
And you are absolutely sure that the gathering-method of the data isn't pre-selecting the outcome?
>>
File: cat stuck in a bottle.jpg (43 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
cat stuck in a bottle.jpg
43 KB, 500x395
>>54171301
>new LTS of widely popular distro comes out
>"LOOK AT ALL THOSE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT IT, THEY MUST BE SHILLING!"

This is why noone likes you.
>>
>>54168490
da ayyy you arrrr
>>
>>54172209
>da gaping security hole
>>
>>54172247
don't shoot the messenger, just letting you know why the archfags are rampant.
>>
I used Rufus to copy the files from the Ubuntu 16.04 iso with GPT partition table, but when I try to boot into the USB I enter Grub rescue mode. I tried with MBR partition table and it worked, but obviously I'd like to use GPT.

Any ideas what it can be?
>>
>>54172451

The partition type on the installer medium has no effect on the partition type you set your actual hard drive up with.
>>
File: idgaf.gif (386 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
idgaf.gif
386 KB, 500x281
>>54172553
Fuck, now I feel stupid. Thanks though.
>>
So how does looniks handle trashed files? I've noticed that not all end up in the wastebasket or whatever but each drive has its own .trash folder.

Do they just get kept in there and slowly deleted once the drives fill up?
>>
How come I can browse the filesystem with the firefox address bar?
>>
>>54172986
go to url
file:///
>>
>>54172998
Yeah, I know; but why is that a thing?
>>
>>54173022
What is a thing?
>>
>>54173022
firefox is a "browser" anon
>>
>>54173078
Is it common practice for internet browsers to do this, then?
>>
>>54173022
You mean the URI?
Uniform resource identifier. It's just a standard way to identify resources. You point Firefox to a resource with an URI.
>>
>>54173089
Yes.
>>
>>54172986
>What is a local address
>>
>>54172986
>that moment you realize everything is a file.
>>
>>54173251
If only it was true.
>>
>>54173251
>>that moment you realize everything is a lie.
>>
>>54173251
ur mums a file cunt
>>
Does anyone know how I can make japanese look nice in rxvt-unicode? Is there a nice programming font that displays japanese glyphs properly? With terminus they are all squished up and impossible to read.
>>
File: 1397325634777.png (285 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1397325634777.png
285 KB, 1200x1200
Is Ubuntu Mate a meme or is it actually good?
>>
>>54173678
mate is aight, the most polished de you can get
>>
>>54173709
Why does it look like shit and eat all the ram then
>>
How do I see all the programs running in the background and quit them? On linux mint.
>>
>>54174096
ps -e
kill -s KILL <pid>
>>
Im thinking about going back to leenox and got a couple of questions.
Is wine still shit at Dx9 performance? Are windows VMs on the same boat?
Is it possible to hard limit the used bandwith used by determinate processes? Sadly I need it because my download speed is way too shitty to handle multiple connections by itself.
>>
>>54174160
Oh, I wrote ps -a
that's the problem
thanks
>>
File: 1433307191831.png (6 KB, 350x110) Image search: [Google]
1433307191831.png
6 KB, 350x110
Whatcha think?
>>
>>54174096
htop + k
>>
>>54174073
Because he has shit taste and thinks it's still 2004. KDE 3.5 was better than Gnome 2 and that's coming from someone who prefers gnome 3 to plasma 5.
>>
Can i ask a question related to Ubuntu?
>>
>>54174073
>Why does it look like shit
some people use their computer for work, not to look at it

>and eat all the ram then
proofs

mate uses less ram than xfeces
>>
I'm trying to find a monospace font that I used to really like years ago. It started with a D, and the Ms looked really cool. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>54174666
Yes.
>>
>install Linux
>install mpv
>try watching something
>it says I'm using software decoding
Nice OS, retards.
>>
>>54166596
Ubuntu is designed to work out of the box. Kubuntu, if you ask me. Lubuntu if your hardware is older than fuck.
>>
>>54174770
install gentoo
>>
>>54174770
Write a bug report to Linus Torvalds and tell him he should fix his OS.
>>
>>54168032
Literally those are dd scripts, what's your butthurt about?
>>
File: 1460627015823.jpg (65 KB, 383x576) Image search: [Google]
1460627015823.jpg
65 KB, 383x576
>>54174770
>install Windows
>install mpc-hc
>try doing something
>it spies on me
Nice OS
>>
>install windows 7
>install trisquel on remaining 100GB of space
>GRUB only shows trisquel

what did I do wrong / what can i do now?
>>
>>54174764

For some bizarre reason i can not access my router network drive - Samba does not accept the credentials. In usb live session and win 10 everything works just fine.

The keying is not created too like i do not type nothing at all.
>>
>>54174858
boot repair disk
>>
>>54174770
Works on my machine.
>>
>>54174858
Reconfigure grub and repair the windows mbr if you have to.
>>
I'm afraid when I delete shit (ex. sudo rm -rf /etc/.../butt.conf) that I may just accidentally click enter after typing sudo rm -rf / or even /etc/ or /etc/nginx/ or whatever
Is there some way to secure this ?
>>
>>54175052
use the interactive flag -i and it will prompt you before every removal. otherwise, maybe just change directories and give a relative path instead of an absolute path
>>
>>54175052
don't use -rf if it's not needed
>>
>>54174858
grub often fuck up when you install linux and don't recognize it.

running this command should find fix that

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>>54174858
use systemd bootloader
>>
>>54175108
for directories it is
>>54175096
>maybe just change directories
hmm, clever, thanks, I'll take that habit
>>
>>54175052
add

alias rm='rm -i'

in your
.bashrc
>>
>>54174601
nothing.
Nobody use it and never will.

>>54174188
FX 8350 + R9 280X
I can run games like heroes of the storm (low settings) without important fps drop.
>Are windows VMs on the same boat?
depend if you can passthrough GPU
>>
>>54175184
hmm ty
>>
>>54174867
>>54175164
both of these have helped to correct the list of options in GRUB, but when I select "Windows 7 (loader)", it just goes to a black terminal asking for my username, then password.

neither login combination from trisquel nor windows brings up the windows boot screen.
>>
>>54175277
>but when I select "Windows 7 (loader)"
mount your bootloader partition
find the windows bootloader
specify it in grub conf
>>
>>54175184
what does that do exactly?
>>
Is there an actual reason why something "lightweight" like Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu runs like total ass on an ancient craptop of mine while XP runs fifty times smoother? I want to use a supported OS but I still can't find something that actually works without gagging on an empty desktop of all things.
>>
>>54175360
man rm
>>
>>54175360
guess it systematically prompts before executing rm, even when not specifying -i
>>
>>54175368
Because XP is really light and old.

Try Fluxbox or Openbox.
>>
>>54175368
weird, if your laptop runs XP, it should run even smother with ubuntu.
>>
>>54175368
Use something truly lightweight like Antix, Archbang or Puppy Linux.

Xfce is not lightweight, its made for low end modern pcs, not something from the first millennium BC.
>>
>>54175368
why not ubuntu i3
>>
>>54175416

>ubuntu
>running smooth on xp machines

Yeah ubuntu 9
>>
What is the emerge equivalent of apt-get install screenfetch (screenfetch just as an example)?
And the emerge equivalent of add-apt-repository?
>>
>>54175472
man emerge
>>
>>54175472
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage
>>
>>54175368
Because Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu are modern operating systems, XP is 15 years old.

Not to mention Ubuntu devs really like their shit bloated. A fresh installation of Xubuntu feels muddier out of the box compared to a fresh installation of Debian+Xfce
>>
>>54175320
got it working. thanks yall
>>
>>54175538
>Because Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu are modern operating systems, XP is 15 years old.

No thats not true. I have some bleding edge Linux distribution on 15 years old machines, or even older, you wont believe it. I dont know if unity is a problem tho, bucause i always remove that shit, but is all about the kernel m8.
>>
>>54175550
you just got helped by a total noob, use google next time
>>
>>54175589
which is lightest GUI?
>>
>>54175661
LXDE, fluxbox, openbox.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.