[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MacBook Pro 2016, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s will last for 3-4 years only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
"For years, rumors have circulated about whether or not the software company makes its products so that they die within a few years.

Back in 2014, a PhD student Laura Trucco examined the number of Google searches for 'iPhone slow' throughout the world over the last seven years. Trucco discovered that the search term 'iPhone slow' spiked whenever a new model was launched.

To prove the theory, users of iPhone have conducted tests involving devices running updated versions and older software to prove that the tech giant self-sabotages the out-of-date hardware to encourage people to upgrade sooner."

http://en.yibada.com/articles/117682/20160420/macbook-pro-2016-iphone-7-iphone-6s-will-last-for-3-4-years-only.htm
>>
>>54160021
Checking google trends is not research. Laura is a sjw memer.
>>
>>54160021
There are no sources to Laura's studies at all. This is so incredibly vague it should pretty much be dismissed out-of-hand.

That being said, Apple building devices with planned obsolescence in mind should not be new, or surprising, in the slightest.
>>
>>54160119
>Apple building devices with planned obsolescence in mind should not be new, or surprising, in the slightest.
this desu senpai
>>
>>54160119
How long are laptops expected to reasonably last? I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and still going strong.
>>
>>54160021
>phd research based on fucking checking google searches
wow, clearly i'm going about this the wrong way trying to do physical experiments.
>>
>>54160425
Ditto hey. I grabbed an Asus like two years ago or so. There's been a fuckton of physical damage to it - fucking gay-ass shitty hinges, I fucking tell you - but I was able to fix it all up, and everything inside it still runs like a dream and does everything I want it to.

I used to tell people who came into my repair store that an 'average' lifespan of a computer is between 6-7 years, but I stressed that that didn't mean it would immediately die, but that the slowness would start to become more pronounced, what with updates and improvements in software.
>>
>want to find an excuse to buy the latest new iShit gadget
>convince myself that my current iShit device is slow so that I can rationalize the purchase of the latest iShit device
>>
>>54160484
exactly man, you have the right idea
>>
How retarded are you OP. If there is a spike of 'iphone slow' searches on Google after a new iOS comes it only proves that there might have been an optimization problem that was fixed (that's when the spike ends)

Every Apple thread /g/ swears to me Apple slows old devices on purpose but my 2012 iphone 5 is running smoothly on iOS 9. That's way more that I could wish for.
>>
>>54160596
So basically what you're saying is Apple is either:

A) Jews who cripple old phones every year to sell the latest iShit

or

B) Incompetent morons who fuck up every year for nearly a decade and still can't put out working phones at launch.
>>
File: 1455453511778.jpg (112 KB, 863x946) Image search: [Google]
1455453511778.jpg
112 KB, 863x946
>>54160596
>it only proves that there might have been an optimization problem that was fixed
>all this damage control

ayylmao
>>
>>54160642
A) how did you get that from what I said?

B) lmao how new are you? This happens everywhere specially when you are introducing a new OS. Happens with Android, happens with Windows etc but it gets fixed that is the point.
>>
>>54160021
>/g/ supports women doing "science" when their phd research consists of google searches that say that Apple is evil

Guess people here are more afraid of hipsters than tits after all.
>>
>>54160652
How come the spike ends then retard? That is exactly how you read this data.

Android is worst because it's just a continuous upwards trend, which is an indication of bloat
>>
>>54160021
Bough my Air in January 2012 and it runs even better than it was new thanks to Le Capitan ... w-will it suddenly die in January 2017?
>>
>>54160729
Holy fucking shit, how retarded can you be. Kill yourself, you stupid fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>54160746
>better than new thanks to le capitan
Anybody who used Macs would know that is one giant crock of shit.
>>
>>54160866
You obviously never used one, so how can you tell?
>>
>>54160843
Android pleb status = butt destroyed
>>
>>54160896
You must be fucked in the head if you think El Capitan runs anywhere near as fast as Mountain Lion, or Mavericks did.
>>
>>54160843
he's right. spikes indicate that the operating system is woefully poorly optimized for the hardware, but gets better rapidly. The only alternative explanation for the precipitous decline is that everyone's buying a new iPhone every single year, and hopefully nobody in this thread is stupid enough to argue that.

Android's steady growth signals that the operating system is just independently getting more and more sluggish to users (or that overall use (and thus the rate of this related query) is growing at that rate, which doesn't appear to be the case).

It's amazing that a PhD student in economics would come away with such a superficial interpretation of behavioral data, but then this is the problem with observational data - people try to magically make the data answer any arbitrary question they want, when the data is only useful toward answering a very finite range of questions.
>>
>>54160918
Let me guess, you still have an HDD?
>>
>>54160696
>This happens everywhere
Nicely damage controlled. See >>54160652
>>
>>54160425
My Lenovo computer has lasted me since 2011, and it's not even a Thinkpad
>>
>>54160729
>90% of market
>has lower search results for slow than iOS with 10% of market
>"OMGGG android wurse!!!"

ok iToddler
>>
>>54160993
>he thinks most Android users speak English
Also Indians probably use Bing instead of Google too.
>>
>>54161015
>dat goalpost
>>
>>54160972
Are you really this retarded? Are you denying that any new OS doesnt usually come with optmization issues? Android 5 was full o memory leaks only fixed in 5.1. You can't see trends on the android graphic because barely any device gets updated at the same time.
>>
>>54160993
First you have to prove that the data comes from any google search and not just from american searches

And keep in mind that english speaking countries (Australia/UK/US) have a pretty good balance between iOS and Android
>>
>>54160425
if you are a normie a laptop will generally last 4-5 years. If you aren't retarded about tech you can make it last longer but unless it's a very powerful machine it'll be reduced to only being good for light shitposting after about 5 years or so maybe a little less
>>
>>54161044
Fuck off ishill.
>>
>>54161034
>simple logic
MUH GOALPOSTS

The majority of Android users are in 3rd world countries, since they are poor, they probably have also less skills; aka. no English searches.

The majority of Android users in the first world are poor as well, so unless they come from the countries where English is a native language, they are unlikely to search for problems in English either. (they wouldn't be as poor if they had more skills and could probably afford good phones)

Apple users obviously earn more to buy their shiny stuff, hence have better education and are more likely to have higher expectations and search in English.
>>
>>54161105
That and android users might not use 'android slow' they might use 'galaxy slow'

Also, android lags by nature. If an iPhone is lagging usually there is something that can be fixed so its natural for iPhone users to search for solutions while most androifags just accept their fate.
>>
>>54161136
Sure kid

Go install icon packs, i'm sure you're good at that.
>>
>>54161137
No, all the poorfags buy ishits to appear rich to their fellow lower class friends.
>>
>>54161156
Sure these people exist as well but the average iPhone user earns more than the average Android user.

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Data-Mine/iPhone-Users-Earn-Higher-Income-Engage-More-on-Apps-than-Android-Users

Also as another anon noted, they would rather search for their exact phone.
>>
>>54161156
>androidplebs actually deny that iPhone users are richer

There are many reasons to dislike apple but why do you have to lie to yourself?
>>
>>54161156
+ http://www.androidauthority.com/are-iphone-users-richer-better-educated-than-android-users-105032/
>>
Isn't 4 years pretty good?

I don't own a laptop
>>
>>54160021
My mom is still using an early 2008 15" MacBook pro as her daily driver. No OS update has ever slowed it down. It's a little sluggish to boot and launch apps, but it always has been due to the slow HDD, which could be solved by throwing in an SSD.

The machine has had all sorts of parts replaced over the years, though. Motherboard (due to Nvidia GPU defect), LCD panel (developed a stuck column), three batteries failed prematurely (way under the rated 300 cycles), two power supplies failed due to wiring issues, and one power supply just died. I think that covers it. Everything except the last battery and power supply were covered by Apple under original/extended warranties, though.
>>
>>54161209
>>54161185
A few more m8

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/26/report-rich-people-prefer-ithings/
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/22/technology/mobile/iphone-smart-study/
http://www.businessinsider.com/android-is-for-poor-people-maps-2014-4
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/04/05/surprise-apples-iphones-are-expensive-so-rich-people-are-more-likely-to-have-them/#59bf7e0073ed
>>
>>54161231
Those old Macbook Pros were a joy to use, but fuck they were unreliable.
>>
>>54161135
And the point we're at if you aren't tech retarded, computers will last near forever, sans laptop batteries.
>>
>>54160425
It used to be that you could use a laptop for ~4 years, but these days they last much longer. Performance is stagnant. New machines are sleeker and better in various ways, but are not much faster than old ones. Old machines will be able to run modern software for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>54161293
that's true actually, anyone who knows how to properly take care of there stuff will generally have it last longer than its usefulness. Barring any random major failures of course
>>
>>54161299
You could get a lot of years out of old laptops too with a little patience. I was using a ThinkPad from 2002 as my main machine until about a year ago.
>>
Because apple fags never wanna factory reset their phones, tablets, or comps. Apple makes fuck loads off the sheep.
>>
>>54161756
I honestly wonder how many people with Apple products just buy a new one compared to formatting/factory resetting their current ones.

Like, 200 average Windows users vs 200 average Apple users, with no bias as to who's selected.
>>
NORMIES THINK EVERYTHING ISN'T BRAND NEW AS SLOW
>>
>>54160021
>asian bias
>not actually linking to the most crucial piece of evidence, "tests involving devices running updated versions and older software" on iphones to see if apple is self-sabatoging
yeah, okay
>>
>51 posts
>18 ips
PAJEET GO AND STAY GO
>>
>>54161847
>Like, 200 average Windows users vs 200 average Apple users, with no bias as to who's selected.

None of them.
>>
>>54161948
Debatable. There'd be at least one person who has a general idea of what to do.
>>
>>54160596
My mom's iPhone 5s heats up like a fucking nuke and hangs randomly, more often when picking up calls
My dad's iPhone 4s heats up like the sun, and is slow like snail
My sister's iPad 2 was great when it was new, but now it's slow as balls now after the new update
>>
File: 1451240569541.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451240569541.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
>>54162062
>his family fell for the apple meme

My sincerest condolences.
>>
>>54162117
Im the only one who uses non Apple products and coincidentally I am also the only one who is able to troubleshoot any tech related problems they have
Apple is fine for most normies, but I think technologically inclined people should not be using Apple
>>
>>54160021
>that feel when I still use my 2011 MBP
>I've treated it like shit but still works fine
>>
>>54162062
>iPad 2 slow as balls after the new update
I have one and it still works just as good as when I got it 2 years ago on most recent update.
>iphone 4s
That's a 5 year old phone man. Any android phone other than GS3 would have already been traded in already.
>5s heats up like nuke
Time to get it replaced then because my family has 4 of those and none of them ever had that problem.

It's not just planned obsolescence, but it is just in fact technological obsolescence. Technology back then from 4 years ago is way different that technology now. And we have just started stagnating on smartphone developments.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.