[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Google Play?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: icon.png (17 KB, 269x208) Image search: [Google]
icon.png
17 KB, 269x208
How is Google Play?
>>
Good
>>
I like it. I can't find most of my degenerate music on Spotify, GPM All Access or other music streaming services so I just have a youtube-dl script set to download to a folder watched by Google play music manager and automatically uploaded. I haven't automated the metadata yet so I have to input that manually but it works really well.
>>
File: _20160421_163343.jpg (74 KB, 1080x725) Image search: [Google]
_20160421_163343.jpg
74 KB, 1080x725
it's ok i guess
>>
I use it as my goto music player. This way I can listen to my library on every device I own and on other people's devices.

The Desktop Application is nice.
>>
>>54155329
this. I fucking love the feature of uploading music files to your account
>>
>>54155418
What OS is that anon it looks nice as fuck
>>
It's free and enables me to stream all my music for free. Pretty neat. The stations are a nice touch too.
>>
>>54155556
i'm not that anon, but it looks like ubuntu unity with some adapta theme and numix circle icons
>>
>>54155556
Ubuntu Gnome with Numix theme and dash to dock.
>>
>>54155367
Lold at that turtle, kek
>>
>>54155259
Meh
>>
>>54155626
Who the fuck is this guy? At least he namefags so i shall filter
>>
Sucks because music you buy there wont be playable on other music players like standard Music on android or Blackplayer
>>
How is Spotify?
>>
>>54155686
It's fine. Use the webplayer and block ads.
>>
>>54155418
Yeah but your font rendering is poo, i remember that thread.
>>
>tfw 2016 and still no DAB+ on my "smart" phone.
>>
>>54155686
Good
>>
>>54155259
I've been using it for a few years. I don't do the radio thing. I uploaded my existing collection there and buy new stuff on the store. I like how I can sync it down to devices for offline play or stream it.
>>
>>54155670
You have the option to download MP3s after you buy, but a limited number of times. I've done it a couple times through Play.
>>
>>54155498
Why not use literally any other music player? Something like Black Player is way nicer for playback.
>>
True
>>
>>54155259
awesome for my mobile devices, i have like 30000 songs. best part is playlist with all my songs sorted with the least played, that gives me so the songs I've never played right on top, first on the list. it's breedy good
>>
Ttrt
>>
File: 55256821_p0_master1200.jpg (345 KB, 711x1000) Image search: [Google]
55256821_p0_master1200.jpg
345 KB, 711x1000
Main drawbacks

-the google store is imposed like crazy
-if you upload music, then try to download it, its not the original file. It wont be the v0 version you uploaded, itll be a 320 constant bit rate
-Some songs are censored if you stream FROM YOUR OWN COLLECTION
-Poor album management, the same album on device and one already uploaded will have it displayed twice.

I wish google would fix these issues.
>>
It's "ok" mobile UI isn't all that great. The catalog is good.
>>
It's shit. I use plex to stream flacs to my phone.
>>
>>54158416
>-if you upload music, then try to download it, its not the original file. It wont be the v0 version you uploaded, itll be a 320 constant bit rate
I had uploaded all my stuff as V3, then I decided to delete everything and reupload everything as 320 CBR
I wonder if they further transcode that 320 CBR upload or not
>>
>>54155259
It's good if you don't want to keep music on your phone and want seamless listening over both desktop and mobile.
It's shit if you want to keep music on your phone and not bother with youtube videos and store promotions
>>
>>54158416
>-if you upload music, then try to download it, its not the original file. It wont be the v0 version you uploaded, itll be a 320 constant bit rate
>-Some songs are censored if you stream FROM YOUR OWN COLLECTION
that might be because they don't actually store the music you upload and they just stream a generic file they have
>>
>>54155686
very good
>>
My only beef is how it brings up the radio stations first when you do a search and puts your music at the bottom.
>>
>open it
>touch at the menu
>touch at the music list
>screen to the right until the music tab
>touch music tab
All this to get to a list of all my music. It starts with a recent history full of thumbnails, it got thumbs up and down right next to the previous/next buttons for some reason (why would someone put a song they do not like in their phone).

It is shit
>>
>>54156799
I don't have enough storage on my phone for my collection
>>
>>54158416
If they already have a copy of a song on their servers they don't use yours. If it's censored or otherwise not the correct song, there's an option called something like "incorrect version" (on web, not on the mobile app)
>>
>>54160427
so what happens if I just upload a bunch of empty MP3 files that have the correct metadata (and length?) of actual songs?
>>
>>54160837
They might look at the spectrals or something, but feel free to try and report back
>>
>>54160962
>but feel free to try and report back
Can't, because they require a credit card attached to your account or some meme
>>
I really like it but the playlists I make on my phone don't transfer to google music when I'm on my computer (and vice versa).

What gives?
>>
It's awful. I use it strictly as an mp3 player and it's terrible for seeking. I only play albums by artist or compilation.

That said I don't know of any free as in money alternatives for things like skipping forward X seconds or rewinding by that amount.
>>
Spotify is cool if you have Amazon Echo. Worst part is they have zero "stations.' Play is better in my opinion. Plus, either Play or YouTube Red is $10/mo the other is like $14. But, subscribe to one, get the other for free.
>>
>>54162517
Also if you hit back on your device you have no idea where the fuck you're going. And the EQ is kinda shit.
>>
>>54155259
How much are you paid to make a Play thread here every day?
>>
>>54155259
does it have a docker git?
>>
I don't particularly like it. I just deal with it because it comes with YouTube Red.

I use the app on a Nexus 5. Sometimes the play button just doesn't work. Sometimes other inputs don't work, and I have to completely close the app to get it to work again. Hell, I just now opened it and all the albums were dimmed out. It said "cannot play track" and I had to restart the app. I've had problems getting tracks to play before, but I guess this time it had the decency to actually give me an error.

I regularly do a factory reset on my phone and I'm very particular about what apps I install. So it's not because my Android device is fucked up with tons of malware. The app is just plain garbage. Google has had plenty of time to make it as good or better than Spotify's app, but clearly it's not a priority. When I'm in my car, the thought in my head is "I could listen to that song, but then I would have to deal with that shitty app".
>>
Is Youtube Red actually good?
>>
>>54162608
Aren't there device limits to worry about. I thought it was about a dozen, cap out and only add a new one once a month.
>>
>>54162669
Exclusive content is worthless. You know they'll start putting more ads now that they have paid service. Aside from no ads, I see no other benefit. But the benefit does work across devices, smart tvs, game consoles, etc.
>>
It's good if you want music legally without spending a ton of money on MP3s.
>>
>>54155418
Wallpaper source?
>>
>>54155841
What's the problem with the native player?
>>
does google play music support flac
>>
>>54160837
Someone should try this. Seems pretty interesting.
>>
>>54164217
It recognizes flac files but converts them to mp3 (or fetches mp3 files, however it works)
>>
it's not available in my country
>>
>>54155259
Been using it since day one and loving it.can add songs from their libray as well as my own all stream or downloaded to me
>>
Apple Music is better than Spotify and Google Play Music combined
>>
File: 26-spotify.w1200.h630.jpg (33 KB, 740x388) Image search: [Google]
26-spotify.w1200.h630.jpg
33 KB, 740x388
>>54155686
>using the gradient shit logo
>>
I had so many issues with the app for google music. It got so bad the app would lock up after opening it.
I switched to spotify after like a solid month of shitty app support on android.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.