[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like I'm depending too much on this botnet to live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: Google.jpg (76 KB, 1604x802) Image search: [Google]
Google.jpg
76 KB, 1604x802
I feel like I'm depending too much on this botnet to live

My calendar, mail, notes, documents, pictures, web browsing, phone are all here.

Should I be worried? Not that I have anything to hide but it doesn't feel right for me
>>
Nah. Just don't do anything illegal and you're fine.
>>
>Should I be worried?
Sort of, more for the fact that you can't come up with your own non-google related solutions (e.x., a text file, a spreadsheet, a god damn daily planner with a pen) than Google wanting to hardcore datamine you.

>Not that I have anything to hide but it doesn't feel right for me
It's good to hide things. Lesson for today: you don't need to put EVERY LAST THING about yourself on the internet.
>>
>>54140692
>there are people this ignorant about privacy alive
>there are people who actually believe this and are not meming
wew
>>
>>54140772
>you can't come up with your own non-google related solutions
Of course I can come up with a solution, but I don't because of convenience
>>
Who cares? Nobody on this board is important enough for privacy.
>>
>>54140799
t. tinfoil-hat man
>>
>>54140811
Well its not only about privacy. I'm just feeling like maybe I shouldn't depend on a single company to handle all my shit.

What if google stop existing tomorrow? What are the chances of this happening?
>>
>>54140821
t. actual-retard man
>>
>>54140830
t. pedophile
>>
>>54140829

Using Google makes it convenient and convenience is important. If you're worried, back up your shit yourself on your own hardware.
>>
>>54140821
>tinfoil hat-man

hehe
>>
File: g.jpg (36 KB, 566x424) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
36 KB, 566x424
>>54140830
>>
>>54140875
can use startpage search engine and chromium for the same experience
>>
File: bennie.png (235 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
bennie.png
235 KB, 600x315
>>54140829
You should really be asking, what if I become a target for identity theft, etc.
What if I get falsely accused and all my records are there for the public to see? What if modern day 'telemarketers' start using all of your google metadata to track you in your daily routines to target you for ads, irl meetings (ie door to door, but in public and not at your actual door)
What if a private entity or a government decides to try to prosecute you for something but cannot so they scour your history and metadata to try to pin some crime on you (ie carrying an ice cream cone in your back left pocket on a sunday style law)? Why even deal with that in the first place?
It's like pic related, but in your case replace security with convenience. Remember, all of those services are "free", but remember there is no free lunch. ;)
>>
>>54140874
>>54140880
t. microsoft/google paid shill
>>
>>54140897
My university is giving free lunch this week because some feminazis took over the place where you buy tickets as a protest for something

So you're wrong.
>>
X
Titan Aerospace
Deepmind
Dark Blue Labs
Vision Factory
Firebase
Jetpac
Dropcam
Terra Bella
Nest Labs
Redwood Robotics
Meka Robotics
Makani Power
Pie

If you want to worry about google this is where you should start.
>>
>>54140985
>free university
>a real thing
lmfao
>>
File: Screenshot_20160420-020945.png (264 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160420-020945.png
264 KB, 1080x1920
Does it get any better?
>>
>>54141017
Yeah state pays for it, what's you're problem fag
>>
>>54141070
your**
>>
>>54141070
>state growing money on trees
>a real thing

whats your problem straighty
>>
>>54141087
I have no income. Technically I never paid taxes.
>>
>>54141060
>relay

why aren't you using the official reddit app?
>>
Already too late
>>
>>54141098
>being a non productive member of society
>being so uneducated you cannot grasp basic concepts such as everything having an intrinsic monetary value
ayy lmao
>>
>>54141233
>>being so uneducated you cannot grasp basic concepts such as everything having an intrinsic monetary value
So what?

If spend money I am a productive member of society. But none of that negates the fact that I got a free lunch.
>>
>>54141362
>If spend money I am a productive member of society.
Not if you didn't earn/create that money.
>But none of that negates the fact that I got a free lunch.
There is no free lunch. Even if you steal your lunch, it wasn't free. Someone paid for it.
>>
>>54141416
>Someone paid for it.
Yeah, not me. therefore its free for me
>>
>>54141437
Go get a job. I'm sure your mom will be happy you'll get a chance to get out of her basement more.
>>
>>54141460
I cant yet, my university is full time for now.

I dont live with my parents
>>
>>54141474
Why get a job? Just sign up for welfare
>>
>>54141489
Yeah but I'll earn more when if get a job since I'm graduating in Engineering
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 576x768
>tfw have hundreds of pics of underage girls in bikinis and underwear on Google pictures
>>
>>54141532
reported
>>
>>54140663
>Should I be worried?
too late bro, just accept being part of the botnet.
>>
>>54140811
This board is crawling with pedophiles anon.
>>
>>54140829
The scary thing is not that Google might stop existing and your data with it. The scary thing is that your calendar, mail, notes, documents, pictures, web browsing history, phone data and all other data you ever have or ever will produce, will outlive both you and Google. You might "have nothing to hide" from the current corporation/govermnent combo, but there is a non-zero chance they'll be replaced by a fascist/communist regime, feminazi junta, muslim theocracy, alien overlords, mutant Jews or crab-people some time in your lifetime and they might not like the history of your life you're writing on Google servers today.
>>
>>54140663
Most people do, welcome to the modern world.

Don't be an idiot and post nude pictures of yourself, your homicidal manifesto, social security numbers or anything and you'll be fine. Basically, anything that would get you fired/end your marriage/send to you jail.
>>
>>54141768
Would you care if crab people knew your dead friends phone numbers and 80 year old calender appointments?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 750x1334
>>54141542
Sounds like you would be better off on reddit so you can le down vote comments you don't like
>>
>>54141848
Yes. When crab people revolution takes over, having a history of appointments in crab restaurants is the last thing I want.
>>
>>54140799
Tell me why i should be worried about privacy when everything I do on Google I would be more than willing to share with anyone?
>>
>>54142405
Give me your gmail credentials then.
>>
>>54142612
On google and login credentials are completely different you moron.
>>
>>54142405
>the I don't have a front door at all, but if I did i woudlnt lock it maymay

simbly ebic
>>
>>54140897
http://www.npr.org/2015/03/02/390245038/ben-franklins-famous-liberty-safety-quote-lost-its-context-in-21st-century
>>
>>54142612
I think he's wrong but this counter is the lamest thing I've ever seen
>>
>>54140663
Here's resources to help you.
https://www.privacytools.io/
https://prism-break.org/en/
Even switching from one will make a difference.

>>54142405
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZrq2iK87k
Watch this talk from a professional private detective. He discusses the ways he can fuck your life up based on the stuff people send out willingly like facebook and google. If you're angry about the government then be terrorfied at the stuff Facebook and Google find on you.
>>
>>54142682
'no'
Take your ban assault forks and knives propaganda somewhere else.
>>
>>54142655
A copy of all your outgoing and incoming mail will work for me too, then.
>>
>>54140829
This is actually a good reason not to rely too heavily on google. Google is an advertising company, they don't give a fuck about their actual "products" and will shit them down or change them on a whim. They just want to sell ads and data, all their tech is just a means to sell ads and data. Now i doubt that gmail or other things like that will be shut down anytime soon but you never know when they will pulls some shit and change the ui or change how the system in a way you don't like or in a way that fucks up your workflow. So it's always good to diversify and have a backup plan.
>>
>>54140985
Women should not be allowed to attend school
>>
>>54140663
Lurk for 3 alternatives to each item. You'll feel better.
>>
>>54141858
MODS
>>
>>54140663
El bumpo.
>>
>>54140663
Host your own mail server, cloud server
and i3 - 6100 ( 100 usd )
8 gb server ram = 37 usd
a quality mATX motherboard 75 or 100 usd for more features such as wireless adaptor.
HTPC case - max 75 usd ( if you want a beautiful, rigid one ) - also includes 120 w psu.
An 7200 rpm 1 TB hdd - 88 usd
total 375 usd.

Now if we read the labels it will consume around 80 watts in full load
but if you use Linux with no services other than mandatory, no graphical interface and so on - even in full load with unlucky hardware you will consume way less than 80 watts.

This all translates into a very small electricity bill for a 24/7 good server...

If you ask me 375 usd for private mail, cloud and other services is very good.
>>
>>54140663
>google
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>54143589
Do this project with 2 friends and split the cost 125 usd... for all that, the hardware will stay potent for at least 3 years.
>>
File: 1431980876899.png (687 KB, 545x537) Image search: [Google]
1431980876899.png
687 KB, 545x537
>>54142612
>>54142658
>I throw around these retarded analogies because I can't give a real answer
>>
>>54143589
The thing that concerns me about hosting my own mail server is dealing with spam issues, delivery issues, spam blacklists etc. I would like to host my own email but I need to be 100% sure that it will be reliable and that people will receive my emails and that i will receive theirs. This is what keeps me using google apps to host my email.
>>
>>54143979
How would you end up getting spammed?
There are work around for your problems tho.
But it's not like there are spam bots that brute force every name and domain name combination to send hundreds of spams... it's common sense that you need.
>>
>Uses Android
>Uses Google Now
>Uses Voice Search
>Uses Android Pay
>Has Android Wear Device
>Uses Google Calendar
>Uses Google Chrome
>Uses Hangouts
>Uses Cloud Print
>Uses Google Drive
>Uses Gmail
>Uses Google+
>Uses Google Maps
>Has Location History Enabled
>Has Payment Methods attached to Google Account
>Uses Google Photos
>Uses Play Music
>Uses Google Search
>Uses Google Keep
>Uses Google Voice
>Uses Google Authenticator
>Has Chromecast
>Has YouTube Account

How botnet are you?
>>
>>54144074
>Uses Gmail
>Uses Google Search ( via disconnect or startpage )
>Has YouTube Account

This much.
>>
>>54144074
>Uses Android
>Uses Voice Search
>Has Android Wear Device
>Uses Google Calendar
>Uses Google Drive
>Uses Gmail
>Uses Google Maps
>Has Payment Methods attached to Google Account
>Uses Google Photos
>Uses Google Search
>Uses Google Keep
>Uses Google Authenticator
>Has Chromecast
>Has YouTube Account

I'm beyond saving
>>
>Goes to Google Maps
>Clicks menu > timeline
>Cries

Google has my location history covering years
>>
>>54141119
There was only one use to that app, and it was to get 3 months gold. Once that's accomplished, there's no reason to keep it
>>
>>54141460
>>54141489
bitter working that dead job? I guess you can boss those around anonymously online pretending your good even though getting your foot in the door for a fucking glorified McJobs stint at much to me. Though i can see through your window right now. tell your mother to put her clothes back on and take out the milk bottles so Reynolds your bottle collector for 3 and a half years can retrieve them.
>>
File: .gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>>54142612

wot
>>
>>54144217
me again as forgot to mention. I am manager at Foot Locker. No big deal really, so i wouldnt swoon like a bud light if i were you.
>>
>>54140663
Why would you need an online calendar/notes? Just use local one on your phone. Why store pictures and documents online as well? Get a better browser and root your phone.
>>
Most likely no need to worry for yourself. If anything, worry over the implications of a world where it's hard to get by without these services, and how that impacts potential whistleblowers and such.

Can't expect everyone with important stuff to leak to be as savvy as Snowden.
>>
>>54140663
>phone are all here
Yes, you should be worried. Get a good phone.

Also don't store personal information in the cloud, how hard can it be?
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.