[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1441188781780.jpg (300 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
1441188781780.jpg
300 KB, 3888x2592
Previously on: >>54084997

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
moo
>>
I have done your mother.
-RMS
>>
>>54101274
Pretty sure the Wildebeest goes "AUUARKKK!!"
>>
>Meanwhile on Windows:

>When I turned on the PC it went into auto update, when it had finished came to my login desktop, had lost all files etc saved to the desktop and also My Microsoft Office software was no present on system came up to register the product along with Google Chrome and my saved Favorites etc. I therefore had lost all my email history, excel files etc etc. There was nothing in my downloads files nor my pictures, documents or music. Nothing at all.

>http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-update-kb3140741-causing-issues-on-some-pcs-502131.shtml
>>
>>54101497
>windows
>gnu/linux thread
please keep the h8 contained in their own threads
>>
>>54101525
Since the OP still suggests dualboot, it's sort of relevant.
>>
>>54101556
Noobs need their time to convert. Better dualboot than nothing at all.
>>
Fuck UUID
>>
>>54101577
If you are into microblogging, I suggest to get a twitter account.
>>
File: fat italian.jpg (13 KB, 203x224) Image search: [Google]
fat italian.jpg
13 KB, 203x224
Is there a good RDBM managment/creation software for GLinux?
>>
>>54101855
You mean something like mysql, mariadb, postgresql, litesql?

>GLinux
Any particular reason why you wrote it like that?
>>
>>54101943
Yeah, if you could recommend one or 2 for me that'd great.

GLinux is easier and shorter than GNU/Linux and hopefully won't trigger more touchy /g/entoomen.
>>
>>54101978
MySQL if you care about experience that will matter today, since it's used in big enterprises such as Google and Facebook.

Mariadb is it's fork, and is open source software. It should be included in your distro, same as litesql.

Donno much about postgresql, but it is also popular in some circles, and it's open source.

Without knowing why exactly you would need it for I would recommend MariaDB because that should most likely server your needs
>>
>>54101978
Freedom > Convenience
>>
>>54101978
>GLinux is easier and shorter than GNU/Linux and hopefully won't trigger more touchy /g/entoomen.
Also, that was also exactly my reasoning when i started writing it like that in the previous thread. That's why I was wonder why I asked you why you decided to write it like that.
>>
>pacman messed up my xorg.conf again :^)
People say this as a joke, but xorg.conf has been deprecated for years now.
>>
>>54102068
Stable Wayland when?
>>
>>54101229
Are GNU/kFreeBSD users allowed to post here?
>>
>>54102092
Only the GNU part of you
>>
>>54102080
Debian definition of stable or arch definition of stable?
I already use it daily.
>>
Anyone knows, by any chance, If I can install libre kernel in my Fedora on a x220? Will I be missing any drivers?
>>
>>54102092
Well, maybe we just should name it /fgt/ to allow all variations of the GNU operating system.
inb4 faggot
>>
>>54102136
But we don't want to exclude that one person that uses Alpine Linux
>>
Best command line email client? Especially wanna hear thoughts on Mutt, sup and notmuch.
>>
>>54102121
Somewhere in between, I guess, It's gonna take a few years to become, Debian stable, but I would like it to be more usable, I guess. I still experience some issues with it, such as laggy windows, and similar. And sometimes it just stops working for some reason, so I have to switch to normal version to actually do something
>>
>>54102146
I want to exclude him but maybe he posts something interesting one day.
>>
>>54102175
Gnome? I rarely have issues with it on 3.18.2 with foss amd drivers.
>>
>>54101577
Why was it we came up with these weird solutions rather than fixing the real issue?
Okay, drives are arbitrarily named, why not make the sd{a..z} more fixed then?
Nope, let's use this UUID which nobody can remember.
Network cards are arbitrarily named, let's fix that by using predicable names instead of just making sure that the names stay the same.
I don't need UUID on the fstable on my laptop, and now I have to make my own scripts that rename the network cards back to eth0 and wlan0 because I am not typing that other stuff more than once.
>>
I want to install debian stable and maybe move to sid after a few months when the packages become too old. I want a DE that "just works" and it's not buggy. Should i go with mate or xfce? Or maybe something else?
>>
>>54102222
Yea, gnome. Though this was a few week back.
>>
>>54102135
Compile your own kernel.
That way you get exactly what you want.
>>
Is ARM the future of free software? Considering the asus chromebook is the only modern laptop that can run libreboot... intel is all permabackdoored since 2009.
>>
>>54102232
Either of those, I would rather use xfce but you probably need compton.
>>
>>54102255
>it's permabackdoored
>it can't run libreboot
These are two highly different thing, unless I am out of the loop here
>>
>>54102257
What about font rendering? Infinality?
>>
>>54102295
Infinality is an ugly solution, use the config on the debian wiki or some custom one.
>>
>>54102198
I'm sure it would be something important, that we can't afford to miss.
>>
>>54102282
From libreboot website:
>It is extremely unlikely that any post-2008 Intel hardware will ever be supported in libreboot, due to severe security and freedom issues; so severe, that the libreboot project recommends avoiding all modern Intel hardware. If you have an Intel based system affected by the problems described below, then you should get rid of it as soon as possible. The main issues are as follows:
https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel
>>
>Infinality
Why are people acting like configuring a font config is harder than configuring a terminal, music player, etc config?
>>
>>54102355
And infinality doesn't even look better than regular fontconfig with lcd filter enabled. In fact, it breaks CJK font rendering.
>>
>>54102320
thanks
>>
Tried to install kubuntu on my shitty uefi laptop and there's always one more issue. Gave up ATM maybe next weekend when I have time, I hate how uefi makes everything harder to do
>>
>>54102385
Have you tried it with uefi enabled, secure boot disabled and by using the right usb port?
>>
File: support.png (49 KB, 524x558) Image search: [Google]
support.png
49 KB, 524x558
>>54102346
Acoording to them Intel is still the most supported platform. But, they also have problem with AMD and ARM arch. So, to answer your question, no ARM is not the future, since there is one, until cpu manufacturers get their heads out of their asses
>>
Please stop associating Linux with GNU, posting pictures of Stallman and of wildebeests. You're just helping some old big fat jew piggyback on a white man's success.

This general should be called /flt/.
>>
>>54102430
(You)
>>
>>54102430
The only reason Im here is because of GNU stuff, Linux is simply the added component that I use because I have no choice
>>
>>54102459
Same here, though live patching and kvm are nice.
>>
>>54102473
Well, It's a nice bonus, I agree.
>>
Most lightweight distro for a shitty, tiny laptop?
>>
>>54102459

Using GNU/kFreeBSD here. Feels good. I kinda wish Debian would wrap a GPL around the FreeBSD kernel though, I hate using software that doesn't protect my freedoms.
>>
File: 1448172620512.jpg (205 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1448172620512.jpg
205 KB, 600x900
>>54102430
>>
>>54102595
How shitty? Debian with lxde should run on almost everything.
>>
>>54102620
>that face always cracks me up
hey...why the long face?
>HUE HUE HUE
>needs more beests
>>
>>54102610
Permissive licenses are okay for users anon. Only the developer suffers if he sees his wife get fu- sorry, his code get used by some huge company that does unethical things and that doesn't contribute back.
>>
>>54102610
The reason why Linux became so popular was because of GLP, and why BSD faded into oblivion was due to lack of it. Imagine if BSD had introduced GPL license years ago, we would have all been running some kind of GNU/BSD distro, and the world would have been better for it
>>
I'm pretty new to GNU/Linux and just configured weechat. How can I use Tor to connect to #flt?
>>
>>54102705
Oh, and I heard irssi is better, should I give it a spin?
>>
>>54102648
How about when the Linux developers steal your code, use it to do unethical things (i. e. attach binary blobs to it or sign NDAs with hardware vendors) and then wrap a GPL around it, locking you out and never contribute back?

>>54102658
Nope, it was because at that time BSD was involved in a legal imbroglio with USL. Linux was just some cute little graduate project, and to this day it still sucks in comparison to BSD. It's poorly documented, riddled with botched design and clumsy code. And GNU sucks too, they break convention all the time because fuck logic and follow weird ass code guidelines.

License permissiveness does not correlate with success or popularity. Look at PostgreSQL for instance.
>>
>>54102745
>Linux was just some cute little graduate project, and to this day it still sucks in comparison to BSD
Is that the reason why bsd distros have Linux binary compatibility?
>>
>>54102766
You really wanna go down that route? Because Linux is trying really hard to implement Windows binary compatibility. So...

Also no, the reason why is because, again, Linux broke convention. So, again, doesn't make your OS look good.

Also,
>Is that the reason why bsd distros
>Is that the reason why berkeley software distribution distributions

Holy shit you're dumb.
>>
>>54102745
GNU breaks convention where it makes sense. Gnu never wanted to be unix, they wanted to be unix-like.
>>
>>54102860
>>Holy shit you're dumb.
This is a friendly thread.
>>
>>54103120
Just stated a fact.

>>54103079
Standards exist for a reason. Not following them has a name, it's called EEE. Microsoft does that a lot.
>>
I have a couple questions regarding Debian

Am I shooting myself in the foot somehow by using contrib and non-free sources as opposed to official free sources only? Or is it just the old convenience vs freedom argument? I've only recently started using GNU/Linux, pls be gentle.

+Adding to this, is it better to be on Testing or on Unstable? (once you've made the jump out of Stable, I suppose). I won't have to reinstall when a new version comes along because it will always be rolling for me, right?

Bonus question: Do you see any practical reasons for using Debian over Ubuntu other than getting away from Canonical? I tried both and I like Debian better so far, but maybe it's just placebo/hipsterness showing - since I've heard folks say Debian on the desktop/laptop isn't so great
>>
>>54103196
>Standards exist for a reason. Not following them has a name, it's called EEE. Microsoft does that a lot.
Holy crap, you're retarded. How do you not forget to breathe?
>>
If a gnu is also known as a wildebeest, can GNU/linux also be known as wildebeest/linux, or as I have recently taken to calling it, wildebeest plus penguin?
>>
>>54103270
WILDEBEEST VS PENGUIN. WHO WINS?
>>
>>54103251

Yeah, because it makes so much sense to replace man with info, right?

Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1440128371405.jpg (63 KB, 450x418) Image search: [Google]
1440128371405.jpg
63 KB, 450x418
>Rampaging gnu crashes Microsoft Store, hands out literature
>>
>>54103242
if you need them and free software is not important enough for you yet you won't shoot yourself in the foot and can easily remove them later if you delete all the packages from there before.
Unstable has more breakages but these are fixed faster and probably this won't be a big problem if you use aptitude from the start with apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges and don't use apt-get. remember to read this carefully and don't do stuff you that could brick your system like removing libpam0g.
basically, read:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable
and
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
carefully
yes, sid/unstable is a true rolling release.
debian usually has better defaults, newer (on unstable) packages or more tested (on stable) packages. another reason for choosing debian (at least for me) are the debian free software guidelines (later known as the open source definition).
as a hipster one would use something more obscure like crux, void or alpine, though some of these may have some use outside of hipster prestige.
>>
>>54103457
>making an alternative to something is called EEE
Can you be more brain damaged?
>>
>>54103474
>trisquel logo on paper
nice
>>
>>54103474
I always knew Gnus are wild heh heh heh
>>
>>54103489

Making a shitty alternative that breaks interoperability just for the sake of shits and giggles is.
>>
>>54103474
>dat pajeet in the background
>>
>>54103457
>replace man with info,
*add info as an alternative while still using man
both have their benefits.
>>
>>54103511
>>54103457
Actually info is way better than man. You would know this if you had ever actually used it. I use the "info" program exclusively; it can view man pages as well as info pages, and it's better at it, too. For example, "info 'open(3)'" will show the open manpage from section 3, while "man 'open(3)'" will scream and cry and break.

Also, texinfo helped inspire HTML.
>>
Question regarding Debian and GNOME
I heard around here that by default Debian doesn't really do much for power management on laptops, and that I should install a dedicated solution for that. I looked into gnome-power-manager and installed it, but everytime I try to start it in the CLI it returns 'command not found'.

Can anyone enlighten me on how to use this? Or is it a completely silent process in the background? I wouldn't think this is the case, at least I'd like to take a look at the settings

Or is this just the default Power tool one can find in Settings? (I suppose they're different things because the Power thing was already available in settings since before I installed the gnome-power-manager package.
>>
>>54102860
>You really wanna go down that route? Because Linux is trying really hard to implement Windows binary compatibility. So...

Absolutely. Both Windows and the BSDs implement Linux compatibility now. I'm sure OS X will do the same soon.

Linux rules the world.
>>
Android compatibility layer for generic Linux

Is the Archon project dead? How do remix OS do it?

If android apks would run natively there'd be no porblems with printer drivers
>>
>>54103623
what makes you think that?
there is some KDE project on this, but it only works for FLOSS android programs.
>>
>>54103579
Don't worry about power management, modern Linux should be just fine without tweaking. And uninstall gnome-power-manager, it's quite obsolete.

If you really want to do tweaking, use tuned.
>>
>>54103645
Too bad cucks at GNOME don't give a shit while KDE is doing it all alone. Shashlik needs more improvement, networking doesn not work at this moment. Also, you have to find x86 apk files by yourself.

Archon is broken
>>
>>54101229
Is it at all possible to install the BURG-bootloader on UEFI based systems? It seems to support legacy bios only.

If not, what are other nice looking GUI based bootloaders I can use?
>>
>>54103523
>keep man
>open man
>lol manual isn't here info pages lol
Yeah...

>>54103551
You confused better with bloated.

Also, it's funny how you tell me to learn info, but you can't do something as simple as
$ man [section number] name
. It's okay, didn't expect anything else from a mouthbreathing GNUcuck.
>>
>>54103457
>>54103551
If you want to actually learn info rather than whine, run "info info", and press space to start paging through the tutorial (backspace to go backwards).

Personally I prefer to read info from inside Emacs, with M-x info, which has the same kind of interface.
>>
>>54103785
Are you retarded? Did you miss the actual point of why it's nice that "info 'open(3)'" works?

Have you ever read any documentation ever? Do you even *use* man pages? Have you not ever seen anyone reference a man page with a certain name in a certain section? Do you not recognize that there is a certain way that people make these references?

Do I need to spell it out for you? Here, maybe this will help: "man man" and page to the bottom. Do you see anything there that looks familiar?
>>
>>54103821

I like how you call me retarded yet you don't seem to have the brain capacity to abstract a section number from a pair of parentheses.

Stay frustrated..
>>
>>54103821
Not him, but using `info info` I can't even scroll with my default j/k, which Just Werks for man. I see no point in using something bigger that doesn't even support basic j/k scrolling.
>>
>>54104050
Use space or the arrow keys or C-n/p.

Or, with M-x info, your mouse, or whatever you want.
>>
>>54104191
Why would I have a need to change my habits because some other application doesn't just follow sane practices? I'd like to stay sane and not end up with broken fingers because I had to use some obscure emacs style way of searching around.

Manpages actually Just Werk for pretty much any purpose. I have never had a manpage not detail enough information for me to work with, AND it allows me to scroll in any way I setup my default pager.

Sure, info pages are nice if you're used to them, but they are in not simply better than manpages just because you like emacs.
>>
>>54103713
I think desktop environment developers should focus on such instead of starting side projects that get abandoned all the time. But just like yours it's just an opinion.
>>
>>54104235
>why would I use xfce is my default keybindings are lxde
This is how silly you sound
>>
>>54104269
If you really think so, be my guest. I honestly don't care what some kid says who just wants to hype his mediocre replacement of a decades-old standard which has always Just Werked.

Enjoy your (You).
>>
>>54104235
>baby duck syndrome
>>
>>54104295
You made more than half of the post dissing GNU in a GNU thread. Here is your (you), cause you desire them so badly
>>
>>54104329
>He doesn't want to switch to a mediocre alternative while the original still works flawlessly
>baby duck syndrome
I don't think you know what this means.

>>54104337
I don't "diss GNU", I say that man is perfectly fine and doesn't need the info replacement. Are you simply braindamaged or getting paid by the GNU foundation.

Be sure to hit me up on IRC, I'm the only guy that always says "gnu+linux" as I like what the GNU foundation has done. Just because I don't like everything doesn't mean I'm actively "dissing" GNU. Then again, you're not mentally capable of comprehending my earlier posts, so I honestly doubt you will be able to even join IRC, let alone have a sane discussion on anything.
>>
>>54104235
info is superior in functionality, and that functionality (hyperlinks, searching across multiple sections, multi-page and hierarchically organized manuals). Just because you don't already know the keybindings, and already know the keybindings for man, doesn't make that not true.
>>
>>54104382
and that functionality is very useful*
>>
>>54104377
>blah blah blah I'm a retard I need more (you)s
>>
Installed ubuntu with dual boot. Want to learn linux step by step and after that try to use gentoo. Also i wanna start to learn coding. Was that a bad idea to install ubuntu? What is your advice ?
>>
>>54104382
Finally, someone who's intelligent enough to bring up real points.

>superiour in functionality
This all sounds pretty nice, and specifically the hyperlinks can be incredibly handy. I should look into it, but I honestly don't want 1 application to behave completely different than all my other applications.
Is there any way to use sane vim-style keybindings?

>>54104414
8/8 post m8. Thanks for proving my point, though.
>>
>>54104430
>FEED. ME. MORE. (YOU)s
^^^you
>>
>>54102162
Notmuch is 100% the best. You have a huge amount of choice in terms of what client to use.
>>
>>54104428
my advice if you want to learn is to back up your data and break stuff, then fix it.
read info or man pages on stuff you want to understand better, your distros wiki (maybe not), the debian handbook, the debian wiki, the installgentoo wiki and the arch wiki are good resources on stuff as well.
have fun.
>>
>>54104428
>Want to learn linux
https://github.com/torvalds/linux
>Was that a bad idea to install ubuntu?
Ubuntu is breddy good for new users to learn the basics of the GNU operating system. Try to use your terminal as much as you can, read manpages and learn shell scripting. Then you should be able to use advanced GNU/Linux distros.
>>
>>54104460
You sound frustrated.

>>54104382
You just described a piece of bloatware.

Manual pages are supposed to be simple, because tools in Unix must follow the KISS principle. And that takes us to why info is bloated, because everything GNU makes is bloated.

Linuxcucks use UNIX because they are teens who hate Windows and wanna be edgy. BSD folks use Unix because they love Unix.
>>
>>54104510
>>54104591
Well thank you. After windows; it was just a little hard to use it for a few days, so i want to take an advice if ubuntu is a good choice. Not a retard on computer too much; but i hope i will learn it quickly.
Thanks for advice anon.
>>
>>54104592
GNU's Not Unix, newfriend.
>>
>>54104603
Check out the fglt website in the OP. We have very nice guides for learning GNU/Linux. Also check the book from the OP!
>>
>>54104592
What if I use GNU+Linux on my laptop/desktop and BSD on my servers? Maybe you should stop trying to personally attack people and just bring actual arguments to a discussion.

>>54104603
I would suggest you check out the shell resources here: http://fglt.nl/resources.html
This can help you out on the small basics on how to use your shell effectively, and write shellscripts to automate things for you.
>>
>>54104592
>Linuxcucks use UNIX
Seriously, did u're mum drop you on you''re head when you were a baby?
>>
Why is the IRC name still #flt?
>>
>>54104430
>Is there any way to use sane vim-style keybindings?

Of course, I don't agree with this definition of "sane". But more importantly:

>I should look into it, but I honestly don't want 1 application to behave completely different than all my other applications.

Keep in mind that readline/Emacs keybindings (what info uses) are extremely common. They are present (obviously) in any application using readline, which includes bash, python, any language interpreter, etc.. And they're pretty common elsewhere too: you can of course use C-n/p to move forward and backward lines in less.

I guess your primary issue is that you can't use j/k? I would suggest just using the arrow keys or C-n/p. Those will work in pretty much every application.

But, okay.

printf '#info\nj next-line\nk next-line' >> ~/.infokey

I discovered this by reading "info info", by the way. (There is a more full-featured vi keys mode, but I think it's a bit overly aggressive. Feel free to turn it on if you learn how :) )
>>
File: 1456068834863.jpg (59 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
1456068834863.jpg
59 KB, 600x350
>>54104667
this
>>
>>54104686
Oops, that should be:

printf '#info\nj next-line\nk prev-line\n' >> ~/.infokey
>>
File: myeyesarepenusshaped.gif (190 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
myeyesarepenusshaped.gif
190 KB, 500x374
>>54104695
>n-n-nice p-p-pic b-bro
>>
Can anyone tell me how xsetroot works?

I just installed it and it doesnt to a damn thing and doesnt have any error messages.
>>
>>54104592
Unix is garbage, friend. If you were a true aficionado of the principles you probably think Unix embodies, you would be praising Plan 9 and bashing both Linux and BSD.
>>
>>54104667
Probably because they don't want to change it every few weeks, and #flt seems to Just Werk. I guess you're free to use #fglt and try to get everyone over.

>>54104686
Readline also supports vim-style keybindings (I use these). I also use ^d and ^u in less, just like I would in vim.
I'll probably read the *info*page on setting up vi keys mode, since that will probably be more up my alley.
>>
>>54104720
man xsetroot
>>
>>54104739
>Just Werk
Woudl you please stop posting this horrible, apple-esque meme?
>>
>>54104760
No.
>>
>>54104742
I'm sorry, I worded my question badly. I've checked that.

All the commands provided there simply have no effect whatsoever. Type them in, no error message, but it just doesn't do anything. I'll check that again I suppose, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly.
>>
>>54104616
>if I don't follow good practice I can excuse myself saying I never intended to haha!
Nice

>>54104647
>What if I use GNU+Linux on my laptop/desktop and BSD on my servers?
Not my problem.

>Maybe you should stop trying to personally attack people and just bring actual arguments to a discussion.
You must've missed the part about Unix guidelines and bloating. If you wanna school others on arguments and personal attacks, maybe you should work on your reading skills first?
>>
>>54104788
nice anger issues m80. did you fail installing gentoo or something and needed the beginner-friendly freebsd gui installer?
>>
--glx-copy-from-front
GLX backend: Copy unmodified regions from front buffer instead of
redrawing them all. My tests with nvidia-drivers show a 10%
decrease in performance when the whole screen is modified, but a
20% increase when only 1/4 is. My tests on nouveau show terrible
slowdown.

It's set to false in the default Compton config. I'm on Nouveau, so should I enable it to avoid that terrible slowdown?
>>
I have to change a bunch of symlins. Is there a smart way to change location of where the symlink is pointing from

/usr/share/something/target

to

/usr/share/something/new_shit/target
>>
>>54102610

Is this for real?

Are there really people who actually think unironically like this in here?
>>
How do I get nice font rendering? All that third party garbage in infinality is scaring me. I'd rather not do that. Do I use .Xresources or do I use the xml file or what?
>>
>>54104932
Yes.

ln -sf /usr/share/something/new_shit/target symlink_to_change
>>
how do you rice like all the cool kids in /dst/?
>>
>>54105296
https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts
>>
>>54105376
what is /dst/?
you make your WM or DE fit your tastes and your needed functionality. how you achive this depends on the WM or DE you choose.
>>
File: 1440808354178.png (102 KB, 883x1024) Image search: [Google]
1440808354178.png
102 KB, 883x1024
>>54105296
> Font pasta:

General informations:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts

Huge list of font resources:
https://github.com/brabadu/awesome-fonts

List of monospaced fonts for programming:
https://github.com/chrissimpkins/codeface

List of monospaced bitmap fonts for programming:
https://github.com/Tecate/bitmap-fonts

You may also need to enable bitmap fonts and rebuild the font cache:
rm -v /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf
ln -s ../conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf .
fc-cache -v -f

Fonts patched with shitloads of icon glyphs:
https://github.com/ryanoasis/nerd-fonts

The Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack:
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/

Premade fontconfigs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality

Configure your own fontconfig:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration

Read the documentation:
file:///usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
>>
Why do we need to even fucking mention the Kernel in the name of the actual Operating System, saying GNU/Linux is stupid because we never say Mac OS/Darwin or Windows/NT we just say the OS's name, just fucking say GNU, that's what it is
>>
>>54105472
I take no issues with this
>>
How do upgrades on Gentoo work? Will I have to recompile my browser every time there is a major update? If so how do people deal with the downtime?
>>
PSA: If you are using NetworkManager and a VPN without Unbound + dns-crypt or manually fixing the DNS VPN's addresses instead of using the Automatic configuration option you are leaking DNS queries.

Check /etc/resolv.conf to confirm
>>
>>54105524
They masturbate to their freedom in the meantime. What speaks against using the old binary until the new one has finished compiling and then restarting the browser?
>>
>>54105472
GNU/Linux is the best way to call it if you want to stay neutral. saying GNU is what a true freetard would call it.
I don't take issue with that. call it GNU if you want, but expect to be attacked for it.
>>
>>54104864
there is a flag for testing performance, try if it makes it slower or faster on your system. additional to the manpage, I'd recommend to read https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/vsync-guide
>>
File: legs.png (286 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
legs.png
286 KB, 650x700
>>54105606
why? GNU is the actual OS, not even a freetard. It's just what it is lmao
>>
File: OSmarket share.png (16 KB, 431x274) Image search: [Google]
OSmarket share.png
16 KB, 431x274
>>54105606
>>54105715
Why not GLinux
>>
File: [yelling].jpg (330 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
[yelling].jpg
330 KB, 720x720
I've been trying to install linux on my hard drives(plural) for days and no matter what distro or drive I try it just won't install. It always fails to mount the ext4 filesystem and I just have no idea why.
>>
>>54105755
Or Ginux. It's even shorter and it rolls of the tongue easier.
>>
>>54105780
No, it's too late to take the Linux out of the name. Too big of a change for anyone to ever use it.
>>
>>54105755
This analysis is completly retarded. It's simply not possible to measure how many people use GNU/Linux, since it's not a botnet that sends any informations to any company like Microsoft.

>>54105780
It's GNU/Linux, since it's a variation of the GNU system. There are GNU systems using other kernels.
>>
>>54101229
>>Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
What's up with these? I get what they do (meta-searching), but how do they stack up against Google? Do people use them regularly, or is it just for tin foil hats? Any reason to use them besides muh privacy
>>
>>54105715
there are people who think GNU and free software scares companies, this is why they use the term open source and linux instead of free software and gnu. there was a time when gnu was associated with communism/socialism by corporations and people from microsoft.
then there seem to be GNU/Linux users who dislike the idea of free software, the GPL and GNU, these are less common but very vocal.
another "problem" they will point out is that if you use the term GNU in casual conversation you will have to explain what it is. i do not agree that this matters too much but their concern is not completely wrong.
>>54105772
what did you use to make the zip disquette bootable?
>>
>>54105817
Ever heard of user-agents?
>>
Can I use Linux without any GNU tools?
>>
>>54105818
i use searx.me because of privacy, because it is hackable and because my results are not filtered which makes me less likely to stay in an echo-chamber. the results are great if you configure the search engines properly.
>>54105836
not him but i use a random agent spoofer.
>>
>>54105817
Well duh. Ginux is just a shortened form of GNU/Linux modified to enable better pronouncing.
>>
>>54105859
>>not him but i use a random agent spoofer.
That has nothing to do with whether you use Linux or not
>>
>>54105824
I'm using cd RW's and I used the default windows software for burning disc images.
>>
>>54105818
It's pretty simple if you understand Google as company, not at search engine. A company needs money, you are the product that is being sold.

That's not tinfoiling at all, just simple intelligence.
>>
>>54105818
searx.me is the only search engine that delivers source code.
>>
>>54105858
>any
no, as you need gcc to compile it. but alpine is what comes closest to it. referring to it as Linux would be wrong however, busybox/Linux or just alpine would be more accurate.
>>54105873
which one and with which commands? I'd recommend you to use a universal serial bus mass storage device
>>
>>54105902
>I'd recommend you to use a universal serial bus mass storage device
Alright. I'll try that first before going any further.
>>
>>54105836
>random website collects user agents
>maybe not even a website gnu/linux users would every surf to
try again
>>
>>54105921
Same goes for Windows users, Mac users etc. It's a good average
>>
Kind of a dumb question:

I'm using xubuntu. My monitor has a 16:9 aspect ratio, however, I occasionally need to change the screen resolution to 1024x768. Since I dislike the stretched look of that resolution at a 16:9 aspect ratio, I want the display to be letterboxed...
How do I do this?
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 4xxx series GPU.
>>
>>54105902
>>no, as you need gcc to compile it.
Can I not use a different compiler?
>referring to it as Linux would be wrong however,
What if I use tools from different groups? Do I have to list all of them? What type of tools qualify as deserving of being part of one's operating system name?
>>
>>54105858
Yes, but that would be really retarded and edgy.
>>
>>54105959
Not more retarded and edgy than GNU project
>>
>>54105682

Thanks, I'll look into it.
>>
>>54105871
a lot of GNU/Linux users are very privacy aware and spoof different agents. i am fairly certain that this does have an impact on these stats. additionally this correlation could lead to an increased amount of GNU/Linux users not visiting websites that track user information.
>>
>>54105941
use xrandr
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr
>>
>>54105974
You know, busybox is designed for stuff like routers and smart TVs. No sane person would use this stripped down mess as operating system. At this point it makes more sense to install OS X.
>>
Not to start a debate or anything.

But is there any place I can go to get a rundown of how people typically use tiling window managers on a day to day basis?

I've been using i3 for several months now but it still feels so clunky. The odd thing about it though is for some reason I can't bring myself to switch back to openbox. Something about i3 calls to me but it's like I can't fully wrap my head around how to use it properly.
>>
>>54105871
But it has anon, and you are tech illiterate.
>>
>>54106032
Maybe check YouTube?
>>
>>54105999
anon@XubuntuPC:~$ sudo apt-get install xrandr arandr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package xrandr is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
x11-xserver-utils:i386 x11-xserver-utils

E: Package 'xrandr' has no installation candidate

Now what?
>>
>>54106038
What does it have to do?
>>
File: 1440433361016.jpg (188 KB, 735x798) Image search: [Google]
1440433361016.jpg
188 KB, 735x798
>>54105858
What is wrong with GNU?
>>
>>54106052
install gentoo
>>
>>54106038
Agreed, dude missed the point.

>>54106057
The user-agent contains the system you are running the browser on -- so it's a good way as any to check what system the user that is visiting the website is running.
>>
>>54105941
if it doesn't work with xrandr (or arandr for that matter) you may need firmware-amd-graphics.
>>
>>54106057
You can literally change your user agent to "you're mom".
>>
>>54106052
Install x11-xserver-utils instead, it probably contains xrandr
>>
>>54106073
>>54106095

You can use a random agent spoofer on any operating systems, spoofing your OS to anything. What does the spoofer have to do with Linux in particular?

Maybe you should reread the conversation from the beginning
>>
>>54106113
No one does that, and the minority who does is irrelevant to the average statistic. Maybe you should use your considerable intelligence.
>>
>>54106113
Maybe you should read again.

Anon stated that one can't measure how many people use GNU/Linux, since the OS doesnt send statistics.

Another faggot stated that the website created the statistic by user agents which visited the site.

Another faggot told you that user agents can be your mother and that you are a huge faggot.
>>
>>54106122
How does this relate to the initial argument?

>>54105817
>This analysis is completly retarded. It's simply not possible to measure how many people use GNU/Linux, since it's not a botnet that sends any informations to any company like Microsoft.

this guy said you can't measure how many people use Linux because it's not a botnet like Microsoft. I can use a spoofer to change my user-agent both for Linux and for Microsoft

>>54106163
>>Anon stated that one can't measure how many people use GNU/Linux, since the OS doesnt send statistics.
He literally implied that Microsoft sends statistics cause "it's a botnet"
>>
>>54106179
See
>>54106163
>>
>>54106113
>>You can use a random agent spoofer on any operating systems, spoofing your OS to anything. What does the spoofer have to do with Linux in particular?
Agreed. User agents have actually nothing to do with a system kernel.
>>
>>54106163
Icecat shows your OS as "win32" for anonymizing purposes, so everybody who uses icecat is being counted as windows.
>>
>>54106181
see >>54106179
>>
>>54106195
I think we are actually agreeing with each other.

Dude said it's impossible to measure, I asked if he knew about user-agents, then someone claimed they could be spoofed, then I claimed no one does that and those who do are irrelevant to the statistic.

So to sum up: Yes it is a good way to measure the average user of the website at least.
>>
>>54106211
>Yes it is a good way to measure the average user of the website at least.
nope.raw
>>
>>54106243
Let's agree to disagree (I know I'm right :^) )
>>
>>54106255
Okay
>>
>>54106211
the way i saw the conversation:

>someone posted statistic
>someone claimed that you can't measure linux users cause it's not a botnet like MS
>guy was told that user agents exist
>random guy comes in and says "OH GUYS i actually use user agent spoofer"
using a spoofer is unrelated to what OS you use and doesn't inherently skew one statistic in partiular
>>
>>54106284
Yep

I was:
> guy was told that user agents exist

And I agree with your assesment and said so too.
>>
Oldfags only: After all distrohopping, which distro made it to your home?
>>
>>54106319
arch
>>
>>54106319
Arch
>>
>>54106319
Parabola.

Been using GNU/Linux since 2004.
>>
The whole package managing is completely broken on my mint installation and has been since a few months.

Finally fed up with it and want to reinstall the os. Aside from this mint has worked good for me and I really like cinnamon. Still thinking about going back to ubuntu and just install cinnamon instead of unity.

Is the outdated package situation equally worse on ubuntu? Like 5 years old eclipse version in the package repo and shit.
>>
>>54106345
>Is the outdated package situation equally worse on ubuntu?
>Like 5 years old eclipse version in the package repo and shit.
yes the eclipse version in the ubuntu repos is so old it does not support java 1.8
>>
>>54106284
>using a spoofer is unrelated to what OS you use and doesn't inherently skew one statistic in partiular
It is related nigger. Do you even know what a user agent is? It is a simple string, containing browser and os infos, which can be changed to YOURE MOTHER.

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)
>>
>>54106345
Not if you don't use 14.04 ubuntu. 16.04 comes out in a few days if you want to wait a bit. But Ubuntu has a SHITLOAD of releases inbetween to upgrade to, as well. Definitley not out of date.
>>
>>54106385
are you retarded
>>
File: 1448119009275.png (267 KB, 564x600) Image search: [Google]
1448119009275.png
267 KB, 564x600
>>54106385
>javasript
>>
>>54106415
You type it into your adressbar to run it.
>>
>>54106397
this >>54106381
is on 15.10
>>
>>54106397
I guess I can wait that long.

As mint is basically built on top of Ubuntu I should not have too many problems - aka any program I used on Mint will also run on Ubuntu.
>>
>>54106096
>>54106085
Turns out x11-xserver-utils is already installed. I told Xubuntu to run
xrandr --output LVDS --set "scaling mode" "Full aspect"
on startup, I hope that works.
>>
>>54106319
Funtoo
>>
So, I want to install Debian, and I've downloaded "debian-8.4.0-i386-DVD-1.iso". I was going to extract the iso on a USB using Universal USB Installer, but there I have to choose between Debian Live or Debian Netinst and I don't understand if the file I downloaded is Live or Netinst.
>>
>>54106323
>>54106326
I thought arch is just for /dsktp/ weebs
>>
>>54106542
Not really -- you can turn it pretty much into everything you want, as fat or lean as you want. AUR is a dream and probably one of the biggest private package archives around and the PKGBUILD system is pretty cool.
>>
>>54106343
Do you have AUR access with parabola?
>>
>>54106564
Yes. But technically you aren't SUPPOSED to use it. But it works the same as arch unless the dependencies are non-free, but then you wouldn't want to install it anyway.
>>
>>54106397
Not that anon, but is there a reason to wait instead of installing the Beta 2 today?

Will it be the same as the "LTS" version (i.e. a few packages upgrade on the 21st, I can live with a few bugs) or is there a good reason to wait for the "official" LTS release?
>>
>>54106542
I never even had a wallpaper or an actual desktop. i just installed xmonad and dmenu
>>
Does anyone know if there are non-tiling window managers that handle navigation like a tiling window manager?
e.g. a hotkey to move to the window that is visually to the left of the current window, etc..
>>
>>54106542
It's live. Netinstall is a very small iso, since you download the stuff at install.
>>
>>54106525
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.4.0/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-8.4.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso
this is the right one. what you downloaded seems to be a live image.
use win32diskimager instead of universal usb installer like mentioned in the installation manual here: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en
>>
>>54106616
meant >>54106525
>>
>>54106615
all DEs have that in their WMs. xfwm does it pretty good
>>
>>54106615
cwm, from OpenBSD. Available in debian repos and arch through AUR. Shit out of luck if you use any other distro, though. It's a basic floating manager without window decorations. You can move around windows and resize with a keyboard, and with keys + clicking if you want too, but there's no tiling. It's exactly what I was looking for in a wm. Try it out if you like.
>>
>using steam
>using flash
>sabotaging your freedom for "entertainment"
>>
>>54106599
You could if you want, but I won't guarantee you that it won't cause problems. Last time I tried it there was a lot of annoying UI freezing.
>>
>>54106725
>sabotaging your life for "autism"
>>
File: 1455915739490.png (8 KB, 310x346) Image search: [Google]
1455915739490.png
8 KB, 310x346
Everything I know about Arch are memes, so please help me to clear things up before I give Arch a spin.

Is it true that arch users need to follow the development and read feeds/forums to be alerted if something will break? Does X break often? How hard is the install process? Do I need to compile something or is it just partitioning drives and installing software?
>>
>>54106853
Just check the front page every once in awhile and you'll be fine. If you run into problems that you can't figure out, check the wiki and forums for solutions.
>>
>>54106853
X doesn't break often, never has for me. Installing packages is literally doing pacman -S package-name, pre-built for you.

If you want something exotic there's the AUR with PKGBUILDS, which will compile automatically for you, using "makepkg -si" in base-devel or using an AUR help like yaourt or pacaur.

I have never had to read feeds/forums.
>>
>>54106875
do you guys have something in pacman that tells you bugs before you fuck your shit up? like apt-listbugs?
>>
>>54106898
Not that I know of. Never happened to me until the fucking gtk3.20 update -- but I suppose that happened to everyone using an up-to-date gtk version. Fucked up almost all themes -- fucking GNOME fags
>>
>>54106917
as far as i remember arch users had the issue because the maintainer put it out even though upstream said they shouldn't.
>>
>>54106898
No, but I used to use debian sid and that broke way more often for me than arch ever did. You have to watch like a hawk or apt WILL remove important things for no reason.
>>
>>54106979
that's why i asked for something like apt-listbugs, checking a website every time you upgrade sounds like a chore.
>>
>>54107021
You don't actually have to. Enable Verbose in your pacman.conf and when and if you see a major version change maybe check -- but besides that you can be p comfy.
>>
>>54106762
Do you mean issues with UI freezing later on even after the LTS release, or still during the Beta/RC timeframe?
>>
>>54107166
16.04 hasn't been released yet. It's still beta. Not talking about 14.04.
>>
guys, go to about:config, type browser.ctrlTab.previews, set to true and hit ^TAB
>>
>>54107220
Roger that. Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>54107241
What does it do?
>>
>>54106062

Poorly written C code made to look like Lisp because autism and cheetos in mom's basement.

GNU, not even once!
>>
Got some new hardware coming in the mail tomorrow. Decided while I'm upgrading my system would be a good time to start dual booting a Linux distro.

I liked Arch since a buddy and I used it on a server to fuck around with, was super lightweight and clean, but it's a huge timesink. I liked how much you could customize/rice it to your liking and probably use it for chan surfing and anime watching since all my work requires botnet 10.

Any suggestions? Desktop environments with good customization?
>>
>>54107382
KDE Plasma
>>
>>54107420
Eww

You're going to scare away new gnu/linux users if you keep recommending that dog shit.
>>
>>54107443
ok.
>>
>>54107382
>desktop environments with good customization
The best way to have a fully custom desktop is to use a plain window manager and hand-pick your software, but I'd recommend GNOME or Xfce for a customizable DE. Lots of themes (both for the DE and just GTK themes) are made for them, as they are quite popular. Check out gnome-look.org and xfce-look.org for a good selection of themes.

In terms of distro, Ubuntu is never a bad place to start, but it's in no way lightweight (at least from a non-minimal install). If you want a more minimal start with a somewhat simple setup process, I'd try Debian.
>>
>>54107382
You can rice just about any distro but the most customizable is funtoo/gentoo.
I would recommend something like buntu or debian (if you can read) to someone that is new to it.
For a de I recommend to start with xfce as it is easy to customize.
>>
>>54107382
pick Xfce and replace the wm
>>
XFCE, or as I like to call it, leaking memory applet.
>>
>>54107382

Give Lumina a try.
>>
>>54107467
>If you want a more minimal start with a somewhat simple setup process, I'd try Debian.
Sounds good I'll probably give it a go in a vm later. I guess after configuring a CentOS and a Fedora server after Arch, the experience of having to change the configuration files of about four different security programs I didn't know the distro came with left a weird taste in my mouth.

Sounds like the overwhelming majority votes xfce.

>>54107561
Have you experienced this problem? Looks like it's pretty common because of hardware.
>>
is it normal that when using an nvidia card (pretty old one at that) all programs such as window managers, xorg itself, etc use double the ram or more?

I took out my graphics card today and almost everything uses so much less RAM it's ridiculous.
>>
>>54107734
Nope, just read about it and cracked a joke.
>>
I hardly run GNU software. Why should I call it GNU/Linux?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.