[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have no time to tell me why Gentoo is not the best GNU distro.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: gentoo.png (356 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.png
356 KB, 1280x1024
You have no time to tell me why Gentoo is not the best GNU distro.
>>
give it up lincucks
BSD is objectively better in every way
>>
>>54095767
How do I even know that's a Gentoo? Your fancy wallpaper?
>>
>install adobe flash
>>
>>54095841
>installs Gentoo
>so he could install a virus
OP is a fag
>>
>>54095777
windows is objectively better in every way
checkmate faggot
>>
>>54095777
The licence or the OS? Because the OS sucks huge balls, but the licence is permissible in some occasions
>>
>>54095922
sorry i cant hear you over jails, zones, bhyve, pf, ports, libressl
enjoy your iptables and systemd memery
>>
>>54095767
Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python ruby gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads.
>>
>>54095922
BSD is in fact better depending on the users circumstances
not only the licenses but in general BSD is just better
>>
>>54095939
Too bad you can't run an actual BSD on any hardware since they don't support any. All the developers left and joing Loonix years ago
>>
>>54095946
gentoo is okay but i find the use flags stuff tedious
>>
>>54095767
Install Funtoo, faggot.
>>
>>54095939
You forgot no hardware support.
>>
>>54095968
>>54095975
this is what i thought but i was wrong. Im running PC-BSD right now and it is very comfy.
also, their boot process doesn't require an unencrypted /boot and full retard initramfs
>>
>>54095767
>Documentatio
>n
>>
>>54095988
>also, their boot process doesn't require an unencrypted /boot and full retard initramfs

lol, you don't even know what either of those things actually are or why they'd matter
>>
>>54096005
are you for real dude
here we have a properly encrypted cryptdevice which has your rootfs and swap.
but to access your rootfs and swap you have to trust this /boot which has no chain of trust and is not secured in any way whatsoever.
did i mention this unsecured,unecrypted partition is where your kernel is booted from and not to mention a compressed file which usually stores your /etc/passwd , shadow and a bash script which anyone can uncompress, modify to record the next unlock passphrase, recompress and no one will be the wiser
>linux
>secure
maximum kek
>>
>>54096053
>mfw all linux "hardening" guides dont say anything about physical security.
wow such secure
>>
>>54096053
>taking this long to beat on google like it owes you money in an attempt to not look like a retard parroting bullshit he's read on /g/

maximum kek
>>
>>54096073
ha ha ha
try harder
>>
>>54096053
That's great and all, but how you propose to get access to /boot in the first place?
>>
>>54096087
evil maid attack
offline attack
breaching physical security
da popo takes your shit
could be anything
>>
File: warn.jpg (105 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
warn.jpg
105 KB, 500x341
>>54096103
yep, you're parroting bullshit you've read on /g/

also, your hat is on a little too tight
>>
File: serveimage-1.png (75 KB, 573x600) Image search: [Google]
serveimage-1.png
75 KB, 573x600
I must not be understanding something...

I am trying to install Gentoo but my laptop died and I am having trouble getting back to the install environment/chrooting

Help
>>
>>54096119
>filename
yes massa
sorry massa
>>
>>54095797
Plus the fancy icon on the bottom-left.
>>
>mfw bhyve will get maintstream windows support while lincucks are still messing around with virtualbox
>>
>>54096128
>the globbermonts r comin for meh peecee!

No, they're really not. And if you're actually doing something serious enough that a law enforcement agency would actually kick the door in and take hardware, or send someone in covertly to access your shit, then you've solved most if not all of the physical access problems on your machine. The least of which is whether or not some fucko can access your /boot partition.
>>
File: 1460770651059.png (448 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1460770651059.png
448 KB, 1280x800
>>54095767
It's indeed the best
took me a day to set up a full working system, only installed ubuntu & fedora in the past
noticeably more responsive and better performing in minecraft than fedora, maybe because i was in charge of installing the correct drivers and not the installer
>>
>>54096176
what if it is just a highly motivated adversary not a nationstate (e.g. con artist)
>>
>>54096190
If this is a concern, why would you not just encrypt the machine?
>>
>>54096202
dm-luks is not secure due to the /boot
>>
>>54096208
dm-luks gladly encrypts /boot partitions
>>
>>54096213
but then how will you boot?
>>
>>54096053
You can put /boot onto a USB that you always keep with you.
>>
>>54096223
http://www.pavelkogan.com/2014/05/23/luks-full-disk-encryption/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Preparing_the_boot_partition

Ten seconds in Google.
>>
>>54096223
Donno, I ecryptem my whole drive and it asks me for a password before the splash screen. It's annoying, but I also find it cool, that none can even boot into a login environment
>>
>>54096244
does it ask you for a password before or after grub
>>
>>54096244
That sounds like a BIOS lock
>>
>>54096251
After. I don't have BIOS lock
>>
Because, it's actually the best linux distro.

GNU is just a bunch of user-end toys. It goes in the category of firefox and X. Linux is a self-booting OS in itself that runs one program (init). In some cases, that program may allow launching other programs, such as GNU's.

>>54095975
>>54095968
>desktop user scum

Off to apple with you
>>
>>54096223
Much the same way your BSD system boots with an encrypted bootloader.
>>
>>54096280
>Off to apple with you
No, that would just be more BSD. I'm looking for less BSD. Preferably none.
>>
File: 1281654372906.png (118 KB, 1549x860) Image search: [Google]
1281654372906.png
118 KB, 1549x860
>>54096237
>>54096281
good lord anon.
>>
File: 1414649997345.jpg (242 KB, 561x1200) Image search: [Google]
1414649997345.jpg
242 KB, 561x1200
>>54096307
>well, i said some stuff and ended up looking like a retard on an anonymous chinese cartoon website
>nothing left to do but start shitposting

Every time.
>>
>>54096324
i have learnt something new today. i am in your gratitude.
>>
>>54096341
>i am in your gratitude.
Are you saying he is grateful for learning you something?
>>
>>54095946

>Portage works without any external repo.
So does dpkg and rpm. And if the portage tree is relatively small, the same could not be said about the distfiles (around few To of source archive).

>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
yeah, and in 99% of the case you end up using gcc because it works on all ebuilds, contrary to llvm/icc

>Portage supports distcc.
Only useful as it's a source based distribution, and it's fun to deploy a fucking compilation cluster in order to install stuff not too slowly...

>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python ruby gtk etc)
So does the the other distributions (ex: I currently have python2.7, python3.4 and python3.5 on my Debian Sid)

>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
Does the debian-sources and fedora-sources really exist? In any case, these are just Linux kernel with slightly different pataches. In the end, you probably use gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources like very one else... And for the FreeBSD kernel, Debian does the same with kfreeBSD (and it's a little more than booting on a different kernel...).

>Portage can thread package installs and downloads.
That one is nice, emerge does have an intelligent locking system, not locking the whole install process, but only dependency conflict. Too bad emerge is such a pain to use, it's buggy, and extremely slow (those painful search and dependency resolving), it's a bad sign when you need external tools such as eix to be usable...
>>
>>54096121
>mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
>mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
>mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
>mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
>mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
>chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
>source /etc/profile
>>
>>54095767
Can I get the elevator pitch version of Gentoo vs Slackware?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.