[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Windows only software stops you from using linux? Excluding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: win10.jpg (58 KB, 590x400) Image search: [Google]
win10.jpg
58 KB, 590x400
What Windows only software stops you from using linux?

Excluding the shit you can wine easily.
>>
Nothing apparently, because I don't use it.
>>
1. Office
2. OneDrive
3. Skype
4. PowerPoint Remote (this one especially)
>>
Games
Don't worry, I dual boot
>>
Skype for Linux is shit
>>
Why would Windows only software stop me from using GNU plus Linux? Much of it doesn't matter to me. I can easily live a comfortable life with other alternatives.

I don't even need my games, even tho I do have a lot of games.
>>
i have a windows install which i use only for solidworks

solidworks kind of works in wine, but it's not very stable, solidworks is not very stable even on windows
>>
>>54083372
pretty much any game I've tried to play. it's not that it doesn't work at all, but I can never achieve the same framerate under linux that I can with windows. I blame it on poor driver support, Idk maybe i'm just a pleb.

I just run 8.1 on desktop and ubuntu on laptop. If I spend a bunch of money on gear to game, I want to get the most out of it.
>>
File: YzUN4wR.jpg (113 KB, 575x960) Image search: [Google]
YzUN4wR.jpg
113 KB, 575x960
Photoshop, Lightroom.

I also just dislike Linux. Nobody takes responsibility for anything because it's free. Only companies who pay for server support get good service.
>>
Windows
>>
>>54083372
Nothing really. I have used linux many times. I just prefer Windows on the desktop.
>>
>>54083426
Native games runs better than those under wine I think. In my experience at least. Even tho I was getting 60 FPS, the game somehow seemed to stutter, and made my eyes hurt.

I had no issues like that with native games.
>>
>>54083372

Linux being shit stops me from using Linux.
>>
>>54083372
games mostly and a familiar interface.

Also the out of the box, almost zero configuration stabillity of windows cant yet be matched by linux, sure with enough tinkering you can get linux exactly where you want it to be but i want to spend my time on my computer either working or gaming, not working at making the computer run.
>>
.Actually fast and responsive window management
.Things work out of the box
.HaxeDevelop
.Zbrush
.AbletonLive
.Games
.100% compatibility with every hardware out there, new and old
>>
None, Windows is shit.

Would be nice to have Paint.NET instead of Pinta though, it's buggy as shit.
>>
>>54083568
>100% compatibility with every hardware out there, new and old
I've had awful experiences with old hardware on Windows.
>After upgrading my grandfather's computer to Windows 7 many years ago, his printer drivers stopped working and the one for Vista didn't work
>Trying to get the Xbone wireless dongle working on Windows 7 is a fucking nightmare
>Installing several PCI-e wifi adapters in computers has always been a pain in the ass, with distributed drivers not working properly and requireing me to get other drivers off of shady 3rd party website
Meanwhile, on Linux: you plug shit in and it just werks.
>>
Photoshop
>>
>>54083372
JMP/SAS
>>
>>54083658
Doesn't Photoshop run pretty much perfectly in Wine?
>>
>>54083670
>>54083372
Though I still use linux. I just have to have windows for JMP.

Would be using openBSD right now but I have an nvidia card.
>>
>>54083372
Games.
>>
>>54083674
Some of the older versions do, but cc is a nightmare
>>
>>54083403
I was thinking about dual booting because I just can't let go of games yet.
How often are you switching between the two OSs and does it become annoying?
>>
>>54083722
Ah. I see.
>>
>>54083732
Not him, but I pretty much never boot into my Linux drive sadly. I wish I did, but when you know you might need to restart 10 minutes after booting into linux to play a game or something, I just tend to feel "eh, I'll just stick with windows" for now.
>>
>Autodesk software
>Solidworks
>Microsoft Office (though I sincerely hope that could be Wine'd well)
>Games

Since that's a very large portion of what I use my desktop for, it'd be silly of me to not use Windows
>>
>>54083798
People actually use Office?
>>
>>54083372
StableBit DrivePool
Games
Attaching monitors to both iGPU and AMD GPU
Microsoft Office
MSI Afterburner (GPU fan curve control)

I run Linux in a VM for programming.
>>
>>54083372
Drivers that don't suck ass. Various development shit. Updates that don't break half the OS.
>>
>>54083405
Better than the Windows version, with the ads and shit.
>>
>>54083877
Well, the last update makes it impossible for Linux clients to call or video to Windows and Mac versions.
>>
>>54083877
simple as putting a few lines into the hosts file and they're gone
>>
>>54083402
2010 can be on wine.
Skype is on debian native
WPS office solves all of your power point needs.

Onedrive is shit. Google drive you retard.
>>
File: 1460881756948.jpg (32 KB, 327x424) Image search: [Google]
1460881756948.jpg
32 KB, 327x424
>>54083674
>Doesn't Photoshop run pretty much perfectly in Wine?

No, it doesn't. You can get it running bht it will crash if you try to do anyserious work on jt. This is guaeanteed to happen EVERY TIME.

Retards using Arch and Fedora will rate it as GOLD on WINE because they're autists who think getting an application up and running is victory.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32438
>>
iTunes
I have linux on my main PC but I still keep an old laptop around for syncing my ipod, since all that stuff like gtkpod didn't work
>>
>>54083955
What the fuck is wrong with your English and grammar. I feel like I should call you a retard but I honestly think you're really are mentally challenged.
>>
>>54083965
>ipod
Just buy a 2 dollar MP3 player from China or something.
>>
>>54083939
Skype is fucking AWFUL on Linux.
>>
>>54083984
To be fair. It's fucking AWFUL on Windows as well.

Kinda depends on if you want a terrible UI or ridiculous bloat.
>>
>>54083984
Skype is also shit on Windows.

How often do you cocks share webcams on your dicks to your mate.

Teamspeak... For those cunts who share voice and files.
>>
>>54083817
Yes.
Word is needed over Libre Writer, because translatting back and forth between docx's for other people is terrible.
Powerpoint is needed over Libre Present on the basis that Present is terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer LaTeX and use it when the option is available, but it's unsuitted to situations where anyone is sending or receiving a docx.
>>
>>54084039
Really? When I was in school I exclusively used Docx and LibreOffice and had no problems. Maybe I was just lucky.
>>
>>54083393
Fuck off. Nobody cares. Just don't reply if you use Linux.
>>
>>54083587
Use gimp m8
>>
>>54083372
Nothing

I use only FOSS software on Windows which would work better in Linux. Also I despise Windows and curse Microsoft everyday.

But, due to my math degree, I don't have time to install Linux and deal with hardware issues. I find it easier to bring FOSS software on Windows (vim, cygwin, gcc)

I'm not proud for using Windows
>>
None anymore. Haven't used Winshit at home in at least a year.
>>
None, I just prefer it.
>>
>>54084073
Not who you were talking too, but I'm in school now and I'm using LibreOffice exclusively.
The only problem I've encountered so far is some slight incompatibility with certain powerpoint files.
Sometimes things just don't render in the right position and what-not.
>>
>>54083972
LOL!
>>
>>54083372
Nothing since I'm using Linux. I do miss foobar and Honeyview however. GPU passthrough if I ever need PC games.
>>
>>54083405
Works OK but the gui is fucking awful hardly call it a killer app though especially when teamspeak exists
>>
File: 1444243671404.png (330 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1444243671404.png
330 KB, 330x319
>>54083972

It's just spelling errors due to me typing on a free as in freedom computing device touch screen. There's no autocorrect on my free keyboard because I don't want any company collecting my keystrokes. Sorry for triggering your "AURtism". Mistakes only happen when I'm typing fast.
>>
Niche software for specific tasks related to my Android (for flashing)

Many video games that run like shit in Wine.

Foobar

I am just too familiar with Windows.
>>
>>54083372
OneNote. Lets me write on my chinese tablet and synch it for viewing on my main computer.
>>
>>54084249
>>54084287
So if I'm planning on making the switch to full-time Linux, what music player is somewhat relateable to foobar?
>>
>>54084073
properly formatted documents rarely have problems, it's weird formatting that breaks when you so much as use a different font that you will have problems with
>>
Visual Studio
OneNote
The entire DE
>>
>>54084259
>he only types fast when a linuxfag proves him wrong
>>
Haven't had Windows installed on any of my personal machines since 2005. I have to use Windows 7 at work, and it makes me want to stick daggers in my dick, as that would probably be less painful.
>>
>>54083372
Not having foobar is annoying, and WINE is inconvenient. Other than that nothing.
>>
>>54084380
deadbeef is fairly similar to vanilla foobar. guayadeque is as full-featured as foobar but looks shit. goggles i managed to get looking almost identical to my foobar set-up as a pure player, but it lacks other features.
>>
>>54084518
Thanks for the insight.
I guess I'll have to download and try them all.

You'd think there would be a Linux release of foobar, though.
>>
>>54084073
Regular docx will most likely just work fine.

Corporate idiots with a 13MB Word 2003 document with 80 different formats and legacy macros are the ones complaining
>>
Vegas
Logitech Gaming Software & Drivers
ShareX
HoneyView 3
Foobar
>>
>>54084542
i know what you mean, it feels like linux software.

for what it's worth i just settled for using banshee which is like a less bloated itunes. only things i dislike are that you can't properly sort by album year as opposed to album title and that album art isn't embedded in the file.

there are lots of players so you'll probably find something that suits you eventually, it's just annoying to have to sift through everything because some form of foobar is normally perfect for most users.
>>
>>54083372
At this point I don't even know. i barely play games. I don't even use any program that is windows exclusive or doesn't have a good alternative/wine. I'm just stubborn and want configuring to be easy through gui. I already use CLI in SSH too much.
>>
>>54083757
This.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.