[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here a professional programmer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: Superman III.jpg (98 KB, 945x558) Image search: [Google]
Superman III.jpg
98 KB, 945x558
Anyone here a professional programmer?
>>
>>54070725
Nah, sounds suit-y and enterprise-y.

I'm a code ninja
>>
No, we all /neet/ here. We code fizzbuzzes in 50 different languages
>>
>>54070725
Was. Why?
>>
>>54070725
Reporting in. I get paid less than average, but the job is laughably easy
>>
I prefer code artisan thank you. I hand craft lines of COBOL using vintage tools while wearing flannel shirts.
>>
Nope, NEET. Can't seem to get a job programming.
>>
Yes, retard.
>>
Anyone here have dark hair?
>>
File: 1436854365442.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1436854365442.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>54070725
I worked as a code monkey/gorilla for a few years. It sucked my will to live, so I quit. Now I NEET it up all day. Fuck it.
>>
>>54071567
>tfw code orangutan
I don't know how I strayed so far
>>
>>54071551
No, everyone /aryan/ in here
>>
>>54071567
People always use the term code monkey to describe their shitty programming jobs. Exactly what does being a code monkey entail?
>>
>>54070725
I'm a web dev. So no, I'm a software craftsman :^)
>>
>>54071763
No, code monkey is typically associated with devs who just code, and probably just code in 1 language, rather than also delving into the various external tools/software/languages/frameworks/libraries that support it
>>
I start next week. It's my first real job.
>>
>>54071261
Why was?
>>
>>54071567
Can I get a coding job where I can browse 4chan in one window all day while working on projects in between shitposts?
>>
>>54071763
Codemonkey is a derogatory term for a programmer that doesn't know what he's doing. A "codemonkey" job is one that could be done by a codemonkey; i.e. piss easy, no challenge, typically just internal office software.

It originates from the old saying that goes something like "if you let a monkey bang on a typewriter long enough, it'll eventually produce Shakespeare."
>>
>>54071567
I know that feel.
>>
>>54071837
Got fired kek
I wanted out, but others wanted more.
>>
yeah. i hate it. im going back for a masters so i can get a real job in technology.
>>
>>54071857
Oh also, where I can watch anime while coding?
>>
>>54071902
>Got fired
how? what did you do?
>>
Yes, I guess?

I do programming work as part of my job and get paid for it.
>>
Yeah, and unlike most of the people here I'm actually good at it so I don't hate my life or get shitcanned for being a retard.
>>
>>54071567
You can't be NEET if you already know how to do something (i.e. educated). You're NET.
>>
>>54071763

The only thing more derogatory than "code monkey" is "web developer".
>>
>>54071935
>I guess?
How can you hold a job, and not know that your current circumstance is the formal definition of "professional"?
>>
>>54070725
Yes, and I wouldn't regard it as a 'codemonkey' job, but at the same time, I know I'm capable of much more complicated stuff and so I would like to move to something more challenging.

I'm only on a year long contract anyway, I'm on a student placement. I think placements are only a british thing but basically you do a year of work between 2nd and 3rd year of your degree.
>>
>>54071948
You can be educated but still a NEET. NEET stands for Not in Education, Employment, or Training.
>>
>>54071955
only in your head. to people without ASD "web developer" sounds more respectable than "code monkey". it's less skilled, but it carries a more positive connotation.

don't struggle with this too much, it's probably impossible for autistic people to get the difference.
>>
I am a professional coder.
>>
>>54071957

The hesitation was more or less on the scope:

My role is Business Development, so I occasionally do programming work. I wouldn't say I'm a programmer by trade, that's all.
>>
>>54071922
Came really late everyday.
Job was all on my hands, so they did not have the guts to do it before. Then came a new guy to replace me. I wanted out so I was trying to teach him how to do it, but stupid prick didn't listen. Got fired a week before I was gonna quit.
You had to see their faces when I got early the day they fired me.
No regrets.
>>
>>54072000
>>54071955
It depends what you're doing 'on the web'. You could be making an extremely complicated backend service, or you could be changing tiny things in CSS all day. In theory, a website could do pretty much anything an application could.
>>
>>54071858
>"if you let a monkey bang on a typewriter long enough, it'll eventually produce Shakespeare."
by that analogy I'm currently working with a class A code monkey

>takes weeks to program some basic functionality
>eventually shits something out
>end up having to clean up his retardation, essentially rewriting everything
>gets paid the same salary

isn't it great?
>>
thats some seriously large match pack
>>
Yes. I work on financial software for banks and shit lol.
>>
>>54072038
yeah you both seem to be missing the "connotation" / "derogatory" point. people's perception of a term is only kind of related to the work involved. if the word evokes a perception of skill, prestige, high pay, etc... then it has a positive connotation. if it evokes a perception of being disposable (like being a "code *monkey*"), then it has a negative connotation.

In more carefully constrained circles, you could argue that some people recognize a term to have a different connotation than in the more general population, but you need to define that, because the default interpretation of "connotation" is within the context of the general population (or at least an average person in a developed nation).

Being a "_____ developer" sounds more prestigious than "_____ monkey" to normal people.
>>
>>54072037
Were they all smiling?
>>
>>54072218
Awkward, and they were not ready.
But I told only part of the story, there's still their side and my side.
I got there late, but I did the job alone because no one else wanted to do it (kinda hard, lazy people)
>>
>>54070725
>full-stack dev reporting in
This place is a shithole, never take their advice.

Think for yourself.
>>
>>54070725
No, I don't like the idea that people don't care how many CPU cycles it takes to subtract 2 numbers, they just care about some burgerbot money and their own profit, they force me to write code that works instead of spending hours collaborating/improving/optimizing to create a perfect mathematical model.
>>
>>54070725
No, we are all codemonkeys who wrote fizzbuzz's
>>
>>54072733
Fucking autist
>>
>>54072733
I'm with this guy:
>>54072856
>>
>>54072733
A subtract instruction will take x amount of cycles giiven the processir architecture. You're not going to fix that with any amount of "mathematical modelling". You simply sound too stupid to be employable.
>>
>>54072937
>2016
>not knowing monte carlo subtraction trick
>>
>>54072733
Get into academia. There you can spend countless months of jizzing yourself on your autistic fascinations and contribute to society.

But I'm sure you're above all that, right?
>>
I'm a devops "engineer". I work at a big SaaS company.
>>
>>54072990
>2016
>Autists allowed out of their cages
>>
Yep. Live in SF, work at a unicorn, make $120k, first job out of university (although I dropped out)
>>
File: smug.jpg (90 KB, 951x840) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
90 KB, 951x840
>>54070725
>m$ bug bounty
>100k USD/bug
>they choose to develop webforms in java 40/week inseatd
>>
>>54073046

I interpret that statement as "Level 2 phone support for Sales Force"
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.