[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>100 applications sent >no responses How should one write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1
File: hiring-manager-293jt110711.jpg (15 KB, 293x257) Image search: [Google]
hiring-manager-293jt110711.jpg
15 KB, 293x257
>100 applications sent
>no responses
How should one write a tech job resume?
>>
>>54069554
>Thinking 100 applications is a lot
>>
>>54069554
you'll either need to find someone to refer you, or you'll have to take one of those shit tier contract positions through a third party recruiter that will have no benefits and significantly lower pay.
>>
yo dawg learn c++
>>
did you mention that you're a code artisan?
>>
>>54069590
This is what I did. 2 years busting my ass as hydroelectric plant technician (pays great tho for a technician) before getting a decent job as network engineer
>>
write the resume in latex and export as pdf
>>
>>54069569
>no responses

I bet you are just shit at applying yourself
>>
>>54069554
just don't send an animu gril with your application, nigger
>>
>>54069554
Use a white name, Pajeet
>>
You really think you're asking in the best place?
That's probably why you're undesirable, you're literally retarded.
>>
>>54069731
no you use a pajeet name, then they get you because the assume you'll do the job for one rupee a week like any other shudra
>>
>>54069554
Don't rely on Online Job application. You need to talk to people like recruiters, professional, go to job fairs, industrial events, and volunteering.

Your resume is being black hole, senpai. Google Resume black hole.
>>
>>54069792
>volunteering

people will only see you as someone who's easy to exploit
>>
>>54069813
literally?
>>
>apply for graduate program
>get it

I could never imagine having to do more than 10 applications, let alone 100. Where do you live? Are you retarded or is it actually really difficult?
>>
>>54069832
well that's how I figure it, though I don't know about the US
>>
>>54069856
I can't even get into an unpaid internship almost a year later. Just end me.
>>
I'm in goddamn Greece, of all places, and on my third job in 3 years.

Went from a startup to full soul-sucking large Corp and now to a medium sized business. All that because I actually wanted it and because fuck waiting to get a raise in this economy, every job payed better than the previous one.

If I can do it, so can you anon.
>>
>>54069813
>Implying the employer will ever know unless you tell him
>Implying Unpaid internships are better then volunteering.
>Implying Voltuneering won't help your social skills, finding references, and finding connections.

You can go to hackfest, join communities, do freelance, bootcamp, meetups, industrial events to learn more about the industry. Volunteering to events tend to have prize money.

Volunteering shows the employer that you didn't just study for your degree, but got proactive. . It's a great way to cover up your unemployment gaps too, and if you couldn't get internships in college.
>>
>>54070781
different culture I guess because unpaid internship is fucking stupid

it's a waste of time, the jobs you get from that shit are ones where they expect you to do extra stuff without compensations and shove on you this team play mentality to justify using you

I guess it's different if it's a norm to do shit for free in a particular country
>>
>>54070883
Where I live you need to do a mandatory 2 months of internship in a position you want to graduate in to get the degree
>>
>>54071134
yeah me too, but I get paid and I really make fucking sure I know what I'm doing

I respect the people I work for and make sure I'm in a place where they respect me
>>
>>54069554
>How should one write a tech job resume?
In LaTeX
>>
>>54069881
Im in the same boat anon though I didn't graduate just yet. I did my resume at the college and went to career fairs. So far nothing,
>>
you didn't post your resume, so i'm going to assume that's garbage and the primary reason you haven't gotten even a response.
>>
How are you writing it now? This is a crazy question to ask; it's completely devoid of anything to go off of. You need to give us something to work with.

>You should list your experience and skills in a favorable light.

See how useless vague shit can be?
>>
>>54069554
Post resume.
Black out personal info
Get results, senpai
>>
>>54069554
by stating your degree and a list of your projects including a github link. thats all you need.
>>
>>54072777
>tfw not a single project you're proud of
>>
>>54072777
>including a github link
What for?
>>
>>54069554

>he's going for a tech job

Haha, good luck competing with literally billions of pajeets and zhangs!

You should've gonne for business, law or accountancy, you numbskull.

>unironically falling for the STEM meme
>>
>>54072810
well, found your problem...
no open source contributions, gsoc projects, etc ?
>>
>>54069569
>thinking it isn't

>>54069554
Applied to 3 jobs over the weekend. All 3 replied. The 1st that did got me in after 2 weeks. You should make it succinct and professional
>>
>>54072843
No. I actually wanted to fix a bug in avrdude, but after checking project repository, I realized my gnu/linux has old version of avrdude in repo. That bug was already fixed in newer version.
>>
>>54072822
to waste precious virtual ink on their monitors
>>
>>54069554
Sometimes you're putting way more information, sometimes way less. Redact personal information. Put education and professional experience in reverse chronological order. Highlight the skills separately in a side column. Bam.
>>
>>54069554
Can some helpful anon give me a step by step guide on what to do to get an internship preferably developing software. My stats.
>live in US
>Junior Comp Eng
>meh gpa
>know c++, some js and web dev shit
>built a template site for a cyoa and a portfolio, and a front end yahoo clone(not finished)
>>
>>54073305
>built a site
You're pretty much set. I got a nice webdev job with no webdev experience or degree
>>
>>54073330
except i didn't get an internship. or interview or callback. I went to a career fair and i talked to like 10 companies. 3-5 went pretty well but got 2 rejection letters. idk what to do.
>>
>>54073385
>except i didn't get an internship. or interview or callback.
You're not trying hard enough. It's not just sending applications, it's making your resume and portfolio look good
>>
>>54073399
ok so how do i make my portfolio better. i've heard i'm supposed to do personal projects but they're small things and they kinda suck. what's something that i can make that employers like?
>>
>>54073447
I made a chip-8 emulator, that might help you
>>
>>54073447
Properly using capital letters in your resume would be a good start.
>>
>>54069554
exaggerate
if you've done something once, write that you're an expert on it

after you've sent an application wait a few days and call.. tell them you applied for the job and are curious on how it goes
it shows that you care
do it a lot, it's not creepy

and write something you're both good and bad at, followed by a thought of how to work on the bad.. it's too show how well you know yourself

and also don't be a nigger
>>
>>54073495
>chip-8 emulator
thank you will get started on this

>>54073566
moLy hOly AnoN iL'l defiantly wRok ON tHAt?
>>
I submitted an application as part of an assignment for my business communications class and it landed me a job.
I don't get how people can honestly submit hundreds of resumes and not even get a call back.

Maybe your resume is shit.
>>
>>54069590
Uhh, they pay really well. I'm 1 year out of school and make $80k.
>>
>>54073495
That seems too easy to put on a resume.
>>
>>54071134
1 year here. Starting mine September.
>>
>>54073787
not everyone is applying for a $10/hour position that a monkey can do, dumbass.
>>
You can't get a job in a place without having some sort of connection to a person who's already working there. This is why you can send out 100+ resumes and not get any replies. Your resume is being thrown out because they have no idea who the fuck you are.
>>
What if you're not interested in programming but instead want a sysadmin type job. Is having certs the only real way? It's not like you can open up a github and show some of your hobby code.
>>
>>54073932
I applied for an entry-level programming position. Pays $22/hr.
I start next week.
>>
Walk into their office and ask for the manager.
>>
>>54071411
Im sick of this meme
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.