[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>My path to a career in software engineering should have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11
File: 1460703546014.jpg (237 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1460703546014.jpg
237 KB, 1600x900
>My path to a career in software engineering should have been simple. I grew up in Silicon Valley, the child of two software engineers with computer science PhDs. I went to high school in Mountain View—the land of Google. Later, I went to college at Stanford University, where our university president was a computer scientist who had made a fortune in microprocessors. During the summers, I interned at Facebook and Google.

>But even though I was completely immersed in tech culture, I had trouble envisioning a career in software engineering for myself. The issue wasn’t a lack of interest or ability. It was that the sexism I encountered, both in school and in the workplace, had me convinced that I wasn’t just good enough to make it in tech.

>At Stanford, I took two introductory computer science classes. I soon became convinced that I was much too behind my male classmates to ever catch up. I was surrounded by men who’d breezily skipped prerequisite courses. As freshmen, they’d signed up for classes that I was intimidated to take even as a sophomore. They casually mentioned software engineering internships they had completed back in high school, and declared they were unfazed by any of the challenges professors might throw our way.

https://archive.is/LPITj
>>
She's saying it's sexist because she didn't take the initiative and take interns in college and learn only when she had to, at school.
You can't go into college knowing absolutely nothing about the field.
You have to study ahead
>listens to people bragging and believes it
>quits
If you quit without trying you don't deserve to get the major
>>
>>54048860
Basically she's upset because other people are smarter and worked harder than her, so she thinks that's sexism?
>>
>>54049132
>you can't become a surgeon if you've never performed a surgery before
Still, what a stupid slut.
>>
How is any of that sexist?
>>
>>54048860
>i grew up as a rich first worlder with programmer parents
>other people don't have such privileges: they come from third world country or maybe their parents despise them
>but they're not womyn, so they should check their privileges shitlords
>>
Women are big children whose minds never mature past the age of 12.

If they get anywhere in life it's because society either catered to them in some way or they fucked their way there.
>>
>>54048860
>software engineers
>cs phds
Stopped reading here. At least make your lie believable, bitch.
>>
The only sexist thing she mentioned were the slightly inappropriate jokes. As a woman in the SE field myself I get that shit all time time, but it's just men being men, they do it to each other all the time.

It's a pretty irrelevant and stale article imo.
>>
>>54049934
pls b my gf
>>
>>54049725
What I meant was that if you are going into coding you should study it before you spend money on college
>>
Oh for fuck's sake... She had every fucking privilege in the book and she still complains about "sexism" holding her back? Hell, she doesn't even acknowledge how she obviously got that teaching assistant position because of her gender.

Then again I can't say I'm particularly surprised seeing how feminists have spent decades convincing women that they're completely helpless and being oppressed by men when in reality they have the same, if not more opportunities than men and are just as much masters of their own destiny.
>>
>>54049934
Wearing knee socks doesn't make you a woman dammit
>>
In this world, if you don't take a proactive approach to your education your fucked. People who just sits in classes and then forgets about the subject until next morning are fucked.
>>
>>54050002
Don't forget most HR offices are disproportionately female so they are literally getting to decide who gets a job and who doesn't.
>>
>>54048860
>goes to stanford
>rich
>still finds something to complain about
Maybe she should actually learn about the field before you go to college, stupid bitch.
>>
>>54049952
I entered a cs major without coding experience and its going fine. I definitely realized that i was behind but if you study the course material and algorithms etc, you'll do well in classes and interviews. Its like any other discipline, but people treat it differently for whatever reason.
>>
>>54049262
This. I'm experiencing this in my uni now. Other people who either dislike computers (WTF are you doing in a CS degree, nigger?), or just won't study, or have never studied on their own before and just don't want to.

It has nothing to do with gender. They just don't take their education into their own hands.
>>
>>54050004
Why are you so upset anon?
>>
>>54050048
That's why you work in small companies or startups with no HR department and that they're still lead by the engineers.
>>
File: abstract.jpg (46 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
abstract.jpg
46 KB, 680x684
>>54050101
Because you'll never be my qt trap gf
>>
>>54050224
>no qt trap gf to program with and then cuddle and stroke each other dicks

Why life
>>
>Working harder and having more ability than a woman is sexism
I want off this ride
>>
>>54048860
>Let's blame society for my shortcomings even though I'm at the epitome of privilege.

Git gud or switch to gender studies
>>
> It was that the sexism I encountered
>I was surrounded by men who’d breezily skipped prerequisite courses. As freshmen, they’d signed up for classes that I was intimidated to take even as a sophomore. They casually mentioned software engineering internships they had completed back in high school, and declared they were unfazed by any of the challenges professors might throw our way.
How's that sexist? I mean, if it is, then I'm a victim of a sexism too, and I'm a man.
>>
>>54049132
Try to actually read the article. She didn't quit. In fact, she became quite successful.
>>
>>54050241
>>54050321
>>54050432
>It was no wonder that I felt like I didn’t belong: my status as one of the few women in computer science classes was always a subject of discussion. A few of my friends joked that as a girl, I could at least get more attention from the section leaders. They told me about a couple of other girls in my year who had had great success flirting shamelessly with the teaching staff—nerdy awkward guys unaccustomed to female attention, and therefore overly eager to be helpful in office hours. I wondered if the implication was that I ought to do the same—or that in their eyes, I already was.
>The jokes and gossip made me uncomfortable, but I laughed along. I took for granted the offhanded way we all spoke about women in the field. I didn’t question the casual sexism of the assumption that women would need to use their feminine wiles to finagle assistance in our coursework. Instead I just incorporated these messages into my larger sense that I was out of place and not quite good enough.

She's complaining about this. It doesn't even confirm men work harder, just that they are more likely to brag/lie about their abilities.

If you really want to get into it you could say the "patriarchy" is the reason women have such low self-confidence but that's bullshit.
>>
>>54048860
>The issue wasn’t a lack of interest or ability. It was that the sexism I encountered

>I remember the first “weeder” computer science course I took–meant to discourage the unworthy from pursuing the major. My classmates bragged about finishing assignments in three hours. Listening to them chat, I felt mortified: the same work had taken me 15 hours of anguish at the keyboard to complete. They are quantifiably five times better than I am, I told myself.

I took two intro courses for CS, one at my community college and one at my university; I learned VB at the former (was supposed to be JS but retards were taking the class to try to dodge math reqs and causing trouble for the department) and Python at the latter. Homework took me upwards of 20 minutes. The two "big" projects we had during the semester at my university took me maybe one or two hours.

Life's so hard for her with two rich-ass parents who can afford to send her to Stanford with no difficulty. Sexism my ass; lemme know when she's from a single-parent lower-middle class household who can't even afford to co-sign a loan. Bet she doesn't have to worry a single second about post-graduate student debts, the spoiled and lazy little shit.
>>
>>54049132
You should move to Sweden.
Employment equity is fucking real.
>>
>>54053093
meant for OP
>>54048860
>>
It this a troll piece?

>It was that the sexism I encountered, both in school and in the workplace, had me convinced that I wasn’t just good enough to make it in tech.

Then it goes on about how she struggled academically.

I mean, what the fuck. Is this the feminist shit that's all over tech? "I can't do it, so it must be because of sexism".

I was weak in college physics, should I have gone into an academic career in physics and blamed my struggles on racism?

I can barely contain my misogyny!
>>
>>54053093
sweden is funny.

they got rid of affirmative action because it started benefiting men more because of areas like nursing and whatnot.
>>
>>54053200
wat?

Surely getting more men into nursing would only be positive?
>>
>>54053216
On paper, yes. In reality, no.

There are tons of patients who don't want male nurses touching them. I'm not even going to get into pediatrics. If you're a male nurse working in pediatrics then you might as well quit because no parent is going to let you touch their kid.
>>
>>54053188
"Sexism" means "being bested at something by a male". It has nothing to do with discrimination.

>>54053247
>sweden
>There are tons of patients who don't want male nurses touching them.
Oh, I forgot that Swedish women shouldn't be seen by men without a burka
>>
File: 1439815261782.jpg (475 KB, 617x5060) Image search: [Google]
1439815261782.jpg
475 KB, 617x5060
>>54053216
equality is only good when it benefits women. :^)

>Surely getting more men into nursing would only be positive?
not when its forced.
equal opportunity >>>>> equal outcome.
if equal opportunity results in equal outcome too, thats great. but its not a problem if it doesnt.
>>
>>54048860
Holy shit this level of entitlement is unreal

You can tell she lived in a fucking bubble her whole life

She's seriously arguing the idea that she DESERVES a tech job because she lived in Silicon Valley

I want to force her to live in the inner city or a trailer park for a few years, then we'll talk about what she fucking deserves
>>
Women have it so fucking easy. If you aren't smart enough to be a computer scientist, you can just blame it on sexism! I always saw myself getting into a career with computers, but after actually doing some dabbling in programming I could see that it wasn't going to happen. Of course I didn't have the luxury of deluding myself into thinking I was the greatest shit ever and that it was just sexism keeping me down. Eventually I had to accept that I am just not as smart as people who write code for a living.

Not everyone has the mindset to be a coder. I am sure given a lot of time and googling, I could code up a program that will compile and run, but you can't call that proper coding. If I can't write elegant, well structured code and actually understand what I am doing without having to look up every little thing, I am not going to code at all. I'd rather leave it to the people who are good at it and enjoy doing it. I could still get into something like networking or server administration someday, but for now I'd rather keep working my shitty part time job getting neetbux and foodmoney from the government instead of force myself to work 40 hour weeks which might as well be slave labor.
>>
This is why I hate women.
>>
ITT: /g/ fails at comprehending a simple article and blows it completely out of context, demonstrating the exact sexist attitude that drives women away from SE in the first place.
>>
>>54050092
I know this chick that took and failed precalc 3.5 times (.5 is because she withdrew the last time).
Her excuse was that she hates math and doesn't care.
Queue a talk about women in stem and she cries about how it is impossible to enter since it is dominated by men...
>>
This is like deciding you want to be a music major at 19, and then being offended that other people have been playing the violin since they were 3, while you can't even read sheet music yet.

>Those men are already doing concerts, while I can't remember which line the A note goes on... Sexism!
>>
>>54054684
Did you even read the article? She's not complaining about people finding some things easier.
>>
>>54053555
>can't convey a thought properly
>it's your fault if you can't comprehend this insightful essay!

Tell us what euphoric ideas exactly escaped us non-nu-males.
>>
File: 1459770406305.jpg (130 KB, 1300x863) Image search: [Google]
1459770406305.jpg
130 KB, 1300x863
>>54048860
>it was the sexism i encountered
You lost me there
>>
>>54054914
How about the simple fact that she didn't drop out and works as a software engineer in industry? Half the posts here assumed she did.

Next being the actual sexism she experienced:
>They told me about a couple of other girls in my year who had had great success flirting shamelessly with the teaching staff—nerdy awkward guys unaccustomed to female attention, and therefore overly eager to be helpful in office hours. I wondered if the implication was that I ought to do the same—or that in their eyes, I already was.
>My fellow interns and full-time coworkers were first friendly, then flirty. They floated awkward pick-up lines and complimented me on the way I looked, not the work I produced. One offered to give me a massage “because I looked stressed.” Another tried to get me to watch a movie with him in a dark room with the door locked and blinds closed.
>whether it’s a classmate suggesting that “cute girls” receive more help from TAs, or a boss giving a male engineer credit for a joint project while ignoring the contributions of his female colleague.

Which has nothing to do with men performing better than her.
>>
>>54055051
She needs to stop getting offended at every little thing. None of those events prevented her from being successful other than from her own reaction to it and making her feel "discouraged" or some bullshit.
>>
>>54055051
Wow someone offered her a massage even. That's basically rape. It's really inspiring how she managed to become a software engineer despite receiving compliments on something that she didn't want to get complemented on. Us cis males just don't understand these kinds of struggles.
>>
>>54055201
This girl hit on me once and straight out offered me a bj. I turned it down since I wasn't into her but I've been traumatized ever since. It has prevented me from any form of bettering myself.
>>
>>54048860
Fuck this idiot. I'm in most of the same situation as her. I have no formal experience in my field of study with tech, and I'm also "behind" some of my classmates. But I didn't grow up to two degree holders to guide me, have a prestigious high school, nor college. It doesn't fucking stop me from learning all I can and pushing forward into a career. Women need to stop looking at what everyone else is doing and focus on their own fucking advancement.

This is where men and women differ. A man sees a mountain top and strives to climb it all the way. A woman sees this, but instead she declares the mountaintop as impossible to climb and may designate where she stands as the new top of the mountain, or just gives up.
>>
>>54055051
Maybe we can start talking about the lewd comments that men get in nursing, or the sexist comments that male teachers get ("Oh he became an elementary school teacher because he wants to diddle kids").

Oh wait, that's the wrong kind of sexism and doesn't fit the feminist narrative.
>>
>>54055375
Yeah but did anyone flirt with you? If not then you don't know how tough life can be.
>>
File: leOOPSface.png (385 KB, 500x470) Image search: [Google]
leOOPSface.png
385 KB, 500x470
Men also have to suffer this same bullshit
>I could never shake the feeling of being petted as an adorably confused young intern.
>the dangers of imposter syndrome
>or a boss giving a male engineer credit for a joint project while ignoring the contributions of his [other] colleague

These are problems universal to everyone as an intern or starting in your field if you don't have alot of confidence, and even if you are confident you can have credit for your work stolen and other shit she's complaining about. IT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING FEMALE

Frankly she no doubt got a leg up in getting into Stanford as applying as a female for CS and a female applying to tech internships.
>>
>>54055051
only one thing there could be considered sexism, and most likely its her overreacting, or is actually true.
>>
>>54055669
Fuck off white cis male. You probably never had anyone tell you that you're cute. You have no idea how traumatizing that experience can be.
>>
File: tracy.png (343 KB, 747x793) Image search: [Google]
tracy.png
343 KB, 747x793
HAHAHAHAHAH I FUCKING THOUGHT SO

I knew this bitch in high school, she was privileged as fucking shit, about as stuck up and resume driven as you can imagine. I would be honestly surprised if she actually believes any of this feminism bullshit, she's most likely using it to further her career.

I'm not even lying about going to school with her I can go right over there today and take pics of the school with a /g/ sign and shit.
>>
>>54049807
this
>handed success on a golden plate
>fail
>MEN REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54055762
>3.99 unweighted GPA
>only 4 APs
literally trash
>>
>>54050239
>>54050224
>>54050004
Faggots.
>>
>>54055784
keep in mind that doesn't include all the AP classes in Senior year, she graduated 2005, so the paper only includes freshman -> junior years
>>
>privileged enough to have both parents with CS PhDs, able to get into Stanford University, and score internships at Facebook and Google
>>
Bragging and causing people to be discouraged it sexism? Sure, it may have been difficult to feel confident with all of her classmates bragging about their work, but everyone has that problem; not just girls. It's not a sexist issue, she's just a dumb bitch who can't relate to her peers.
>>
>>54053247
odd, I had male doctor and male nurse as a kid, maybe it's more of an issue for female kids?
>>
File: lewd.png (304 KB, 2500x2641) Image search: [Google]
lewd.png
304 KB, 2500x2641
she contributes to open source code, that's more than most of /g/ does

https://github.com/triketora
>>
>>54056072
> women-in-software-eng
> dotfiles
> github.io
> parental-leave
> one forked project she did nothing with
lmao
>>
>>54056121
the women-in-software-eng one is actually kinda interesting
>>
>>54056121
wew lad, she's on a new level

https://github.com/davedash/parental-leave/commit/7f9ea60c1583d686c1215e0e71c1365bfccbe1f0
>>
>>54058759
>women in software engineering
>How does the spreadsheet get updated?

>Right now, I manually run update_script.py to pull the numbers out of data.txt and submit them to the Google spreadsheet.

>Something like this:

hoe doesn't even know about cron
>>
File: 1440043483575.jpg (286 KB, 1227x1132) Image search: [Google]
1440043483575.jpg
286 KB, 1227x1132
>Being so ill-equipped for the real world that you mistake bravado for persecution
>>
>>54048860

Can someone explain to me where the sexism that is seemingly plaguing my industry actually happens?
>>
>>54048860
>the child of two software engineers with computer science PhDs.
>Mom has computer science PhD, likely earned when first world sexism actually existed
>My male classmates are doing better than I am because they took advanced classes and internships
>This is sexism
What
>>
File: Capture.png (193 KB, 646x569) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
193 KB, 646x569
B L O W N T H E F U C K U P
>>
>>54059286
kek'd
>>
>>54050061
Privileged people are always the loudest complainers.
>>
>>54058759
It's very obvious she has no genuine interest in software engineering.
>>
>>54062320
what are you talking about.
how rich and well off your family is has nothing to do with privilege.
only straight white men can be privileged.
>>
>>54049934
>As a woman in the SE field myself I get that shit all time time, but it's just men being men, they do it to each other all the time.
>they do it to each other all the time.

Thankyou.
>>
>>54048860
Wait, she's saying it's sexist because it's too hard?
>>
>>54048860
>By the end of the quarter, their unflappable self-assurance had me convinced that I was meant to be rooted out. I decided not to major in computer science.
I see the system is working as intended.
>>
>>54048860
>My path to a career in software engineering should have been simple.
nothing "should be" anything. you work with what you got. that's it.
>>
>>54048860
she has a very idealistic, emotional view of the world. quaint. naive. not going to be remembered.
>>
>>54050478
>larger sense that I was out of place and not quite good enough.
i'm gonna say you should go with your gut on that one
>>
File: 1428073388705[1].png (422 KB, 665x662) Image search: [Google]
1428073388705[1].png
422 KB, 665x662
>>54048860
HOLY SHIT THIS CUNT GOT EVERYTHING HANDED TO HER ON A PLATE AND SHE STILL FINDS SHIT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT FUCKING REEEEEEEEEE FUCKING DIE YOU BITCH ASS CUNT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>54066761
she's cute though
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.