[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PIII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: 220px-PentiumMMX-presslogo.jpg (17 KB, 220x212) Image search: [Google]
220px-PentiumMMX-presslogo.jpg
17 KB, 220x212
Just got a Pentium III, doesn't say which Model in the bios though. THANKS GIGABYTE

Can I use it for anything? It's at home now but I think it has 256MB ram.

Thanks anons.
>>
>>54044273
You could throw it away
>>
>>54044322
I really don't want to.
I love old hardware and want to be able to find a use for it.
>>
>>54044454
if you've got a table that's a little wonky you could wedge it under the short leg
>>
>>54044273
Old games and dicking around with old versions of windows and linux. Other than that, not much.
>>
>>54044454
How big is it? Does it serve as bedside table?
>>
See how hard you can overclock it until it blows up.
>>
>>54044498
>>54044487
>>54044478
I don't like you.

>>54044481
I might just do that actually.
Any reliable places to download windows 98 se anymore?
>>
>old pentiums
>worth keeping
Older and rare computers with their old sofware installed on them,
yes I wold consider keeping them
But anything else only serves as energy inefficient incompatible machines.
God I still cant believe my father threw away his IBM ps/2, no I refuse to believe it, damn it
>>
Still waiting for install gentoo meme
>>
>>54044662
I never understood why people throw out perfectly good hardware, my dad has thrown out so many c2d and earlier systems, I sat in the car and watched him throw out 4 CRT monitors he had in his store after finally upgrading to lcd. I hate it so much.
>>
>>54044746
you can't install gentoo on shit that old
>>
>>54044746
>memes
Found the redditor
>>
>>54044771
In that case, install Ubuntu.
>>
>>54044861
b-but i know how to poo in a loo
>>
>>54044273

I have an old P4 that I installed OpenBSD + Fluxbox on. It's not going to do anything too impressive, but for light duty shit like browsing the web or word processing it's perfectly usable.

It had Windows XP originally. It was one of the PCs they used in the office at my uncle's machine shop. It was going to go in the dumpster, but I rescued it. Using XP on it was painful. It was just slow, and sluggish. With OpenBSD it's easy to forget just how old the hardware is.
>>
>>54044881
>With OpenBSD it's easy to forget just how old the hardware is.
because you're too distracted by how shitty the OS is?
>>
I have a Thinkpad with 500mhz P iii. Its too slow to do anything entertaining. I just use it to read pdf and programming.
>>
>>54044916
Op here. I have a 466mhz celeron laptop with an amazing keyboard. I wanted to use it to learn programming since its such a pleasure to type on, but it seems too slow to use. What OS?
>>
>>54044899
What's wrong with bsd?
>>
File: gentoo.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>54044746
>install gentoo meme
Its not a fucking meme ...
>>
>>54044998
Lubuntu/Puppy Linux
>>
>>54044273
You could slap Linux server on it and dick around with a pure CLI setup
>>
>>54045245
That's another idea. Would Fedora work? It's my main distro.

>>54045178
Fedora lxde?
>>
>>54044998
>>54045178
lubuntu is not light anon

but lxde is
>>
>>54044998
I have arch linux on my thinkpad. Its only really useful for working with the terminal though.
>>
>>54044273

Autism detected.
>>
>>54045299
any distro you build (or pseudo build) yourself
>>
>>54044767
>why people throw out perfectly good hardware
because a shitty modern Pentium will consume 1/10th the power and give 1000% the performance numbnuts.
>>
>>54044767
Hoarder detected.
>>
>>54044767
shitty old hardware you have no use for takes up space. what else are you going to do with four fucking CRTs? set up a multi-CRT battlestation on the world's sturdiest desk?
>>
>>54045353
An 18 year old will work harder and better than your parents, why don't you throw them out and bring in some younger and better people?
>>
>have Arch on pentium m with radeon
>have openbox with a few things from lxde
>watch 480p in chromium
>watch 720p in mpv
>>
>>54045399
People aren't machines, And lots of industries do this. Ever seen a 40+ year old model? Ever seen cabin crew over 35?
>muh parents argument
>muh nostalgia shit
>oh no things become useless as they age lets get all sentimental about bullshit hardware that is objectively a worse choice.
>>
>>54044273
I used to run mame for dos on one of those.
>>
>>54045399
Why don't you continue to make fire with two sticks?
It's perfectly usable? Why the fuck would anyone use matches! Ridiculous!
>>
>>54045399
Ever watched sports numbnuts?
Happens every day.
>>
>>54044619
Winworldpc
>>
>>54045428
>people aren't machines
You sound really naive.
>>
>>54045466
>you sound really naive
Older people have experience and know how that machines do not, older models of machines are objectively worse in every way than newer models.
Please work on your hoarding problem.
>>
>>54045459
Thanks anon
>>
>>54045500
Kek.

You must really fail at life if you actually believe that
>>
File: 600ess1.png (53 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
600ess1.png
53 KB, 1024x768
I've been using a 600E with a 400 MHz Dixon Pentium II (basically a Pentium III with no SSE), 128 MB of RAM and NT 4.0 recently for general use tasks and it's a pretty damn good box, handles my usual workload of mostly textual websites with JS turned off, multiple SSH sessions, reading PDFs, working on Word/Excel documents and the occasional Mathematica/Photoshop session with ease.

Pentium IIIs are pretty decent too by extension, later ones are even still usable on the JS web and more than enough for most home jobs except high-resolution media playback.

>>54045500
>older models of machines are objectively worse in every way than newer models
That's entirely dependent on your use case and what objects you consider actually significant, performance and related efficiency aren't really everything, and I find some old ways much nicer from a quality and usability perspective, among other things.
>>
>>>54045353
>1/10th of the power
>flagship Pentium III 1000EB consumes 26 W
>slowest Skylake-S Pentiums for shitboxes run at 50 W
>the 6700K that occupies a similar market segment to the 1000EB eats 91 fucking watts

why are triggered gaymers always spreading this shitty FUD

efficiency =/= consumption
>>
>>54046966
What browser?

NT 4.0? You mean windows nt?

>>54047125
If they're so obsessed with efficiency I don't see why they overclock everything. An i3+gtx 960 would offer best performance with a very low wattage, but they liquid cool an i7 to 5ghz and sli 2 heavily overclocked graphics cards while bitching about efficiency.
>>
>>54044273
Make a Keychain out of its processor
>>
>>54047125
Wasn't Pentium 3 before 24+8 pin motherboards?
>>
File: 1447283467199.jpg (259 KB, 460x800) Image search: [Google]
1447283467199.jpg
259 KB, 460x800
>>54047125
>All the wrong in this post.

TDP is not consumption

Older CPUs use more voltage, don't have finer grained c-states, don't have
speedstep/cool'n'quiet/etc. and as such they run maximum clocks 24/7,
and their idle power draw is similar if not higher than newer high-end CPUs idle draw.

Newer CPUs are nearly three times as performant per clock cycle, that 6700k
locked down to 1 core running at 350Mhz is still faster than a 1Ghz PIII.
A 6700K, single core mode, running at 350Mhz (if it's even possible) could operate
on .7 volts and probably draw less than a watt under full load.
>>
> Can I use it for anything?
Windows 98 16-bit games.
>>
>>54047189
>What browser?
SeaMonkey, you illiterate. It's basically like Netscape.

>NT 4.0? You mean windows nt?
Windows NT is the only NT. There is no Linux NT or BeOS NT.

>>54047210
P3 usually takes a normal ATX PSU. However, watch out for Dells. Some Dells from this era used the same plug on the PSU, but rewired it a bit so if you use a normal ATX PSU and a Dell mobo or vise versa, it will let out the magic smoke.

>>54047942
>Older CPUs use more voltage
TDP takes both volts and amps into account. Watts = volts * amps, at least for DC.

>don't have finer grained c-states, don't have
speedstep/cool'n'quiet/etc.
Just having 2 states gets you a long way to low power: active and idling. However, older CPUs idle states weren't as low power, and obviously with a slower CPU, you'll spend more time in the active state.

It's still good for older games, many of which won't run properly on modern systems, either due to 16 bit or doing weird old GPU things. And yeah a lot of DOS and earlier Windows games will run in a VM or DOSbox, but often don't have as good an experience as on real hardware, due to glitches or weird feeling mouse movement.
>>
Tiny Core Linux, Xorg, (and if you have an ATI video card) Xorg-3d and xf86-video-ati will get you somewhere.
>>
>>54048154
Well, nt is a kernel too
>>
>>54048526
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as NT, is in fact, Windows/NT, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Windows plus NT. NT is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another expensive component of a crashing Windows system made unstable by the Windows DLLs, Explorer and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by Microsoft.
Many computer users run a modified version of the NT system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NT which is widely used today is often called Windows, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NT system, developed by Bill Gates.
There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. NT is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. NT is normally used in combination with the Windows operating system: the whole system is basically NT with Windows added, or Windows/NT. All the so-called Windows versions worth running are really distributions of Windows/NT!
>>
>>54048634
Wow.
>>
>>54044273
i just realized MMX could be read as the roman numeral for 2010
>>
I have an R30 with the 1ghz PIII, a 3.8gb hard drive and 3gb of ram, it's just fine for older Microsoft office, web browsing and some older games.
>>
>>54044998
Tiny Core bro
>>
>>54045399
>Sentimental attachments to inanimate objects is exactly the same to being emotionally attached to actual human beings!
And then you wonder why is this place so filled with shitty people.
>>
>>54049021
I currently have tiny core installed but I hate how installed apps dissapear every time I boot it up
>>
>>54048634
>NT is normally used in combination with the Windows operating system
Wrong.

3.1,95,98 and ME were all DOS based.
>>
>>54049159
What about bsd?
>>
>>54045353
Good look running half 90's games with a dual core cpu and in a modern Windows, like Resident Evil 1-3 or Metal Gear Solid to mention something, they are unplayable on modern systems, so much that even with its defects the only way to play them decently its using the PSX version with an emulator.

And what, will you use that dual core with Windows 9x? You would not even have drivers for either the mainboard, the graphics card (integrated or not) and possibly not even the sound card, I'm not even sure if Windows9x was compatible with SATA, and my low end mainboard doesn't even have IDE (its 4 years old).

You are a faggot, a P6 based computer with Windows 9x for old games and software its ideal, if you put a 3dfx card even better, a golden era battlestation, glide wrappers have inferior quality.
>>
>>54045124
Nothing, except it's not his precious, so it must suck. Not that he'd know from actual experience. He just memorized the talking points from that one stupid-ass Wordpress blog, and therefore he's an expert now.
>>
>>54050302
What makes bsd different from Linux distros? It's all Unix iirc
>>
>>54045178
use antix
>>
>>54047942
Most chips starting with the late Pentium II generations have SpeedStep and other such technologies, though it's definitely not as good as what newer chips have, but it's nonetheless not the wallet-breaking nonsense people on this board make it out to be.

>>54050622
The core of BSD is descended directly from real UNIX, and in general it behaves more like UNIX.
>>
>>54044273
Install XP. I used to run XP on an 800mhz PIII, it's a much more functional OS than Win 98.
>>
>>54044619
>Windows
Install MSDOS or freedos. Maybe open or netbsd. Anything else would be too painfull
>>
>>54051057
2K would be a better fit, XP is bloated as shit.

>>54051216
What the fuck are you on about?
MS-DOS as a standalone product was dead and buried for years by the time the PIII was shipping, 98, NT4 and 2K are fantastic fits for them, later models also run XP without issue.

Also, anything that shipped new with DOS would be a fucking fucking useless on BSD, that shit's only suitable for server roles on gear that old
>>
>>54051493
As long as the particular PIII platform can handle 512MB of RAM I don't see why XP would be an issue, I myself ran XP on a 450Mhz Katmai for many years, though with 256MB (more than 3-5 tabs in FF would make almost every new page go through swap)

It's not difficult at all to disable bloating services and functions and reboot the machine.
I could get XP to idle using just under 64MB

Grab yourself a 9800Pro AGP and enjoy "retro" machine gaming at it's finest.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.