[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm tired of fighting the Windows 10 malware that keeps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12
File: hackintosh-logo-big[1].jpg (255 KB, 1600x1548) Image search: [Google]
hackintosh-logo-big[1].jpg
255 KB, 1600x1548
I'm tired of fighting the Windows 10 malware that keeps trying to "upgrade" my desktop to Windows 10. I really want to get off this ride. Has hackintosh come far enough to be a viable daily driver?
>>
Just install Linux like any reasonable person.
>>
>>54013783
If you have a Gigabyte motherboard, it will be easy sailing.

If you have motherboard from any other manufacturer, it will be one headache after another.
>>
>>54013783
just use unix

install FreeBSD and use gnome
>>
>>54013810
>If you have a Gigabyte motherboard, it will be easy sailing.

Really? Is that the manufacturer Apple uses?

I have a Z97X-UD5H. It's my first Gigabyte after 10 years of snsv and I'm really impressed. What doesn't this board do?
>>
>>54013805

I have better shit to do than fuck with xorg.conf for a month just to get basic things working.
>>
>>54013856
nice meme
>>
File: satya-nadella-microsoft-ceo.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1089) Image search: [Google]
satya-nadella-microsoft-ceo.jpg
232 KB, 1920x1089
>>54013783
Why aren't you upgrading? The only legitimate reason to not upgrade is that your hardware can't handle it.

Hackintosh will not work properly, especially if you have an AMD CPU. You're better off using Linux because it's designed to run on different hardware.

If you're not upgrading because of "spying," you have succumb to FSF GNUtard memes and you need to stay off /g/ for a week and install Windows 10.

Direct X 12 gaming awaits you Anon.

t. Pajeet Singh, certified Microsoft representative, Hyderabad office.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-04-12_21-55-51.png (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-04-12_21-55-51.png
3 MB, 2560x1440
it werks for me

but I bought hardware just for hackintosh so I dont know if I am a good sample.
>>
>>54013873

Stereotypes are funny because they're true.
>>
If you do art or design and have a lot of free time. If not just go linux.
>>
>>54013903

>Why aren't you upgrading
It has no benefits over 7 or 8.1 and I hate how they're pushing it with annoying malware like shit.

>especially if you have an AMD
Jesus I'm not that poor
>>
>>54013931
I've been using Linux for 4 years and never once touched my xorg.conf
>>
>>54013990
>It has no benefits over 7 or 8.1

DX12 and indefinite support. It has many more benefits that whatever you're using, and reminders aren't fucking malware you spoiled brat.

Do you want to have to pay for Windows 10 in two years when ALL of the AAA titles require DX12?
>>
>>54013971

I've tried to go Linux several times, but there's always basic things that don't work out of the box and I turn back.Weird audio and video quirks. Too many fucking choices.

If open source developers would pool their talent and build something instead of branching off every time someone's feelings get hurt and solving the same problem 100 different ways they might have a good product.
>>
>>54013971
>If you do art or design and have a lot of free time
why would you think it requires a lot of free time? if you're buying components for a hackintosh (basically limiting your purchasing options negligibly) then you have a problem-free experience.

if you want a *nix operating system with a good, well-supported DE, then OS X is for you.
>>
>>54014042
Hackintosh will have the same problems fresh installed. It mostly depends if you're hardware is compatible. Which linux builds did you try? Someone might have a better rec.
>>
>>54014019

>DX12
Not a gamer. Don't care.

>indefinite support
They stopped back porting to encourage you to upgrade. They actually went back on promises to support 7 until 2020 and 8.1 until 2013.

>and reminders aren't fucking malware
Reverting registry settings and unhiding unwanted updates is.

>Do you want to have to pay for Windows 10 in two years when ALL of the AAA titles require DX12?
Not a gamer. Don't care.
>>
>>54014005
I little under 10 years here. Never had to touch it either, not even with DIY distros like Arch.
>>
>>54014061
Small mistakes, optimizing or even testing updates can totally ruin your boot, which isn't that great of a time if you're working.
>>
>>54014071
whether it's due to coherent buying advice or a more focused developer community, hackintoshes are generally not that much trouble. i'm wondering if your last experience with a hackintosh was around 10.6 or something because i have a gtx 970, a RAID setup, a non-standard home location, etc.... all things that should complicate a setup, and i had no trouble getting up and running.
>>
>>54014071

With the tools at tonymacx86.com and the right hardware it looks pretty straight forward.

I've tried Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, even FreeBSD. Honestly I've gotten the closest to what I would want with Gentoo. But Gentoo is such a pain in the ass.
>>
>>54014085
>>indefinite supportThey stopped back porting to encourage you to upgrade. They actually went back on promises to support 7 until 2020 and 8.1 until 2013.

So you concede my point then that you're using what is basically a half supported, soon to be unsupported OS that isn't even going to run on new Intel chips?

What's the real reason you aren't upgrading? You would be halfway through your upgrade if you just downloaded it at the start of this thread and installed it instead of shitposting.
>>
>>54014042
>If open source developers would pool their talent and build something

That's what Gnome and KDE is. All the other DEs are very small projects in comparison, and are built on the technology developed by those two.
>>
>>54014117

It works with that half software intel raid?
>>
>>54013921
can you post your motherboard, and gpu? did you use clover?
>>
>>54014123

>So you concede my point then that you're using what is basically a half supported

The principle of the thing is, they went back on their promise.

>What's the real reason you aren't upgrading?

I just don't fucking want it. I hate everything about it. It's time to jump ship and learn Unix so I can still make a living after Microsoft pisses off all of their enterprise customers with this forced upgrade bullshit.
>>
>>54014140

What I can't get past is if I'm running KDE and I want to install a package that was built on gtk I have to install half of fucking Gnome to get it.
>>
>>54014171
This doesn't effect their enterprise customers. If you were running Windows 7 Enterprise you would know this. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>54014192

There are a lot of large customers running pro on their clients. Not everyone has an EA.
>>
>>54014203
They can get fucked. If they're running anything other than Enterprise Edition they deserved to be nagged. You get what you pay for.

Even the local library uses Enterprise, so what kind of shitty businesses are you talking about exactly?
>>
>>54014184
The inverse is more of a problem (KDE programs pulling too many dependencies), but it's more or less solved with KDE 5. It's also not a real problem because those dependencies only take a few MB of disk space and nothing else.
>>
>>54014233

The differences between pro and enterprise are trivial. Most new computers come with oem pro licenses and they get reimaged with vl media. Why pay for your client OS twice?

Your library likely has an academic enterprise agreement which is dirt cheap.
>>
>>54014269
If you're running an business and you're too cheap to pay for Enterprise you deserve what you get.

I've even seen cheap fucks hook Home Edition up to 3D printing equipment and then complain when it restarts in the middle of a print job.
>>
>>54014233
>>54014269

Also the update nag originally didn't apply to anything domain joined. They went back on that one too. Another nail in the coffin for microshit
>>
>>54014284

Tell me, what specifically makes enterprise necessary over pro besides not getting the upgrade nag?
>>
>>54014005
Same here. The only struggles I've had have been with the package manager and drivers.
>>
>>54013903
>>>54013783 (OP)
>Hackintosh will not work properly, especially if you have an AMD CPU. You're better off using Linux because it's designed to run on different hardware.

AMD phenom running el Capitan. Couldn't be smoother
>>
>>54014352

I think the last time I tried it was back in 2005 with an amd 64 3000+ and the shitty nforce chipset. Didn't go well.
>>
>>54014309

>30 minutes and no answer

I think I just won my first /g/ argument.
>>
>>54014309
I don't care. You can go ahead and read the specs on Microsoft.com if you want to know the differences, but not having the nag is obviously extremely important to you so not installing Enterprise was a huge fuck up.
>>
>>54014314
They are not things anyone should struggle with in 2016. Linux is shit and always will be.
>>
>>54014503

Linux really good on headless servers. FreeBSD is better.

Both are shit on desktops.
>>
>>54013783
>Has hackintosh come far enough to be a viable daily driver?
yes, been hackintosh user since snow leopard
>gigabyte motherboard
>intel cpu
>amd gpu (hd5770 native support, will upgrade soon though.. waiting for june event to see which GPU's will be supported by new OS X)
>>
>>54014503
neon.kde.org
Try it out. I'm using it on a Yoga 2 Pro, and everything just works. You have to install a package manager (Synaptic) but everything else is there.
>>
>>54013783
Disable Windows update service, or get a mac, I have been using ubuntu on and off for a couple of years ,it's not that reliable,
>>
>>54014691
he asked about a hackintosh dude, and its not rocket science to set one up these days if you have compatible hardware and know how to follow step by step instructions
>>
>>54014698
Or he could get a mac mini, hackintosh could break at any time.
>>
>>54014753
mac mini is too tiny to have proper cooling. also, what GPU is in there?? integrated intel gpu?
>>
>>54014753
Mac mini are so expensive compare to a hackintosh with the same specs. Hackintosh won't break if you don't upgrade them to the next version from the apple store. It's far more stable than any distribution I've used.
>>
>>54014819
Honestly mate, I always update to dev previews.. nothing ever broke, not even sound if you use clover injection
>>
>>54013783
Install Debian and customize it until you like it.
>>
You should uninstall the update that puts that horrible nag box there. It only takes a minute and you can continue using the greatest operating system ever made (assuming you're on Win7 and not 8.)
>>
File: manjaromasterrace.png (591 B, 125x150) Image search: [Google]
manjaromasterrace.png
591 B, 125x150
>>54013856
>>
File: 1433281358089.png (180 KB, 379x551) Image search: [Google]
1433281358089.png
180 KB, 379x551
>>54013856
>he thinks fucking with kexts and DSDT/SSDT patching is easier
>>
>>54013845
>Really? Is that the manufacturer Apple uses?

No. Gigabyte changes very little from Intel reference designs, so they end up being more similar to Apple's own boards than boards from other manufacturers.

Hackintosh communities recommend Gigabyte boards and will work on getting new versions of OS X running on Gigabyte boards before bothering with boards from any other manufacturer.
>>
>>54015020
I use chimera + multibeast, I think that's the reason.
>>
Hackintosh ran almost perfectly on my Asus laptop, only downside was that I couldn't use the dedicated GPU. The only issues I had were a small visual glitch during boot and that it would sometimes take ~10 seconds to reboot or shut down.
It's definitely a viable daily driver, more so on a desktop.
>>
>>54015410
>>>54015020
>I use chimera + multibeast, I think that's the reason.
Does chimera even work with Cappy ten?

Clover is great, but the documentation is a bit lacking. I still don't know what system io means. All the wiki says it then uses system io rather than ffxhwio or something.
And many more options like that.
>>
>>54013856
>implying that a hackintosh wont break more often then some shitty linux distro
>>
>>54015935
dont know either.. right now I have it turned off
>>
>>54013921
Post Wallpaper pls senpa.
>>
>>54013783
>Has hackintosh come far enough to be a viable daily driver?
has been for ages unless you're a gaymer
>>
>>54013783
Hackintosh is awesome I've had my Hackintosh since February of 2016 the only issue I had so far is a audio issue but I was able to find a kext that fixed it but eh now im using a Scarlett 2i2 so I don't really need to worry about my on board sound.
Everything else is fine im very pleased with the out come and I got decent hardware for less then what you'd pay for a high-end iMac.

My GPU is eh! planning on getting a GigaByte 970 G1 my current GPU is a Nvidia 8800 GT 512MB and yeah I still play GTA 5 with this GPU It's playable I don't have the best graphics but still play GTA 5 full screen on 1024 x 768 I got 1080p monitors but eh!
>Picture of my Hackintosh Hardware.
>>
>>54013836
But OS X is UNIX.
>>
I had a really good experience with hackintosh, but not with ozmosis. Tried to flash the fucker yesterday, first it was fine and after a few reboots I would get nothing but boot loops or my shit stuck. My motherboard been bricked.

Now I'm buying a cheap MSI board and I'm never doing that shit again. I'm fine with hackintosh taking 10 seconds to boot anyways.
>>
>>54013856
Then don't use xorg? Also
>waah Linux is hard
>hackintosh is ez pz
Hackintosh is harder than Arch m8
>>
>>54013783
Screen shot of me running my Hackintosh :) No issues runs fine and fast!
>>
Anyone else not have to replace their audio driver after 10.11.4 update? Usually the kext is replaced by Apple.
>>
Hackintosh runs for me better in amd than the average distro with gnome 3 or cinnamon on any drivers
>>
>>54013783

Just get an old MacBook Pro. One of the easy to upgrade ones with all the ports (i.e. not Air or Retina). Intel's current i7 is barely faster than the older ones. Max out the RAM to 16GB and drop in a 500GB SSD and you're good to go.
>>
>>54016755
The audio you use is the Realtek 1150, if it's onboard you're using. That's as easy as using the clover inject method.
Far more stable than any kernel extension, as it persists through Mac point releases as well as any new Mac versions. Should be like two clicks away in Google: Realtek 1150 clover inject
>>
>>54013903
There are plenty of reasons not to upgrade, software incompatibility is one of them.
>>
>>54013783
If you want to build a Hackintosh all you need to do is get the recommended parts that tonymacx86.com recommends you use in your hackintosh build plenty of guilds on the forum of people who explain showing pictures I thought it was complicated at first but I really got the hang of using OS X and I love it more then Windows I just feel less paranoid on OS X I don't feel like someone is watching me.

First you will need access to someone who owns a legit Apple computer im sure for like $300 you can buy a used old 2008 mac book make an apple account then go buy a legit copy of OS X lion and install it on the mac book and login to the Apple store you will get access to a free upgrade of OS X El Captain download the App file use like Unibeast and Multibeast to OS X El Captain on a 8 GB or bigger USB once you get it on a USB you will need compatible hardware that Tonymacx86 recommends pick your parts or check guides on the same parts someone else has within no time you got a working Hackintosh I can't believe I had as much problems as I had but eh.
But you will need a legit copy of OS X before you can build a Hackintosh unless you wanna risk having back doors in a hacked version of OS X.
>>
>>54017077
Nah. Just look up on kat some vmware imagen for el capitan, follow the instructions, download the el cap installer from the app store and use unibeast from there. It's a way of doing it without the need of having a mac.
>>
>Linux
>Developed to work with as much hardware as possible
>Devoted community who have written wikis of information and have help channels
>A system you can use however you want

>OSX
>Developed to work only on Sanctioned apple hardware
>Devoted community dedicated to continually fighting the actual developer fucking up all their shit and working around all the garbage of unknown support
>A system that hates you for not buying their hardware.
>>
>>54017306
I wanted linux to work the way I wanted: with a decent, lag free desktop manager with support for any trackpad gestures I could want.

Unfortunately I don't know how to develop drivers myself or anything lile bettertouchtool for that matter. So here I stay.
>>
>>54015214

nice meme
>>
>>54016133
Underrated
>>
>>54017077
I have access to a Mac I have an air laptop but why go get lion first and not straight to el Capitan ? I have placed el Capitan on usb to upgrade some macs for a few clients so I don't see why go to that extra steps to go from lion to el Capitan.

Other than that your build looks great and I think I'm going to go this route this year and give it a try.
>>
>>54016986
That is solved with software compatibility layers, especially for games.
>>
>>54013783
what fight? it takes 1 fucking minute to disable the upgrade from being an issue
>>
>>54016441
just tried enabling it.. triggers this error though. But I do have weird Ivy Bridge CPU, which is not found in real macs
>>
>>54013783

Just werks!
>>
>>54015258
I managed to get a hackintosh working with an amd processor and a shitty biostar board once. Custom kernel. It worked fine but I hated OS X.
>>
>>54013783
>doesn't want to install Windows 10
>would happily install OSX

Jesus, the faggotry is immense. OSX has just as much telementary and spying going on
>>
>>54016755
Do you not know what a comma is?
>>
when will they learn that lunix is not a viable home desktop OS for 90% of real functioning humans with jobs outside of IT

nobody wants to deal with that shit, nobody needs the powerful features, nobody gives a fuck about freedom
>>
>>54013810
I've been running an Asus for 3 years, and the only issue I have is I'm missing sleep mode. Even thunderbolt works
>>
>>54023107
No pajeet. Go away.
>>
HAY GUISE
HOW DO DISABLE WINDOWS UPDATE IN THE SERVICES?????
>>
>>54013856
good god you're retarded
stay on windows please
>>
>>54013783
It's good. I've been running triple boot for a few months now the biggest issue I've had was learning how Clover worked. The tutorials aren't always written in the proper order and doesn't really explain what each step does.

Running a GA-Z97X-UD5H with OS X 10.10, 10.11, Win7, and Ubuntu 15.04.

I use Clover as my boot loader. I've heard it's harder to learn, but has more features and lets you update OS X without worrying the update messing with the kext files.

If you use an Nvidia Maxwell card, you should wait a day to do security updates. This has nothing to do with it being a Hackintosh though. Nvidia just signs each video driver to a specific OS version and it normally takes a day for them to push an update. When you boot the first time after an update, the graphics will be shit and the Nvidia software will prompt you to update if it's available.
>>
I really think that the gigabyte motherboard thing being recommended is just so you can do shit like put ozmosis on it without risk. I used an asus and a msi motherboard (granted they were awful similar) and the only issue was sound which was just a matter of using multibeast like anyone should really.

BTW using hackintosh for long I decided to buy a magic trackpad. This thing is pretty fucking sweet goddamn.
>>
>>54026008
I went with a gigabyte because it had the features I wanted and it was highly recommended. I didn't use ozmosis.

You can probably use other brands if you know what you're doing. I'll probably get more adventurous with my next system and either do a Hackbook or mac a legit Hackpro with a Supermicro board and dual xeons.
>>
The worst part of hackintosh is wifi support, if you want an actually supported card, you'll have to get a real apple airport card and an adapter.

I have a fully functional hackintosh with these specs:

Gigabyte mobo
AMD FX 8350
12gb ddr3 RAM
Nvidia gt740, with 3D acceleration fully functional.
Adapted airport card

I'm running Yosemite and the only problem I have is that sometimes after a cold boot the graphics freeze so I can't log in.
>>
I went to tonymacx86.com, got a list and went shopping, built myself a sweet machine in less than 6 hours software install and all. I also have a MBP so I got a reliable copy of el capitan. It's a really reliable machine, I am a heavy Premiere and Photoshop user and in 4 months I have never been let down. Only downside is that I can't get any bluetooth adapter to work so I'm stuck with wired keyboard and mouse... but eh, nothing's perfect and if apple didn't force me to generate keys for apps on their hardware, they'd never get a dime from me
>>
>>54013783
If you are using Windows 7 or 8 and your ONLY problem is that it tries to force you to upgrade, just reinstall Winshit and crack it.
After Microshaft started their Windows 10 scam I actually reinstalled all machines that are running Windows 7 in my family and cracked them. Noone forcing me to upgrade anymore.
>>
>>54027410
You have a link to a guide? What kernel are you running?

I have a 8320 and a 770, so I'm pretty interested in what you went through setup-wise
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.