[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder if you install Ubuntu or Red Hat products like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 10
File: 1456005516195.png (108 KB, 359x538) Image search: [Google]
1456005516195.png
108 KB, 359x538
Daily reminder if you install Ubuntu or Red Hat products like Fedora, you're doing it wrong. If you install Steam, Skype and Flash, you're doing it even more wrong. In this case, you should just stay at Windows 10, because installing non-free distros and non-free software converts your computer into the same freedom denying spy machine like Windows does.
>>
What is wrong with RedHat or Fedora?
>inb4 botnet boogeyman
>>
>>53968261
exactly nothing. People like OP hang out too much in /r/justneckbeardthings to even understand that Fedora was Fedora before wearing a Fedora was associated with overweight unshaven basement dwellers.
>>
File: movers_ewing_200x200.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
movers_ewing_200x200.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>53968484
>People like OP hang out too much in /r/justneckbeardthings to even understand that Fedora was Fedora before wearing a Fedora was associated with overweight unshaven basement dwellers.
>>
DAILY REMINDER THAT PAID MICROSOFT TROLLS ARE AGAINST 4CHAN RULES AND SHOULD BE REPORTED AND IGNORED.

LEAVE, MICROSOFT.
>>
Fedora is practically a freetard distro you tool.
>>
>>53968240

>stop liking things I don't like

Ok, kid.
>>
>>53968890
No, it's the opposite. It's made by a company that cares about profit instead of freedom.
>>
>>53968240
Daily Reminder: OP you're a faggot.
>>
File: 1418025770124.gif (2 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
1418025770124.gif
2 MB, 580x433
>using any linux distribution unironically
>>
>>53968240
Linux works better than Windows 10, though.
>>
>>53968240
is Steam a botnet?
>>
Honestly though, Fedora is a fucking awesome distro. It's so polished, has the newest upstream packages and still just fucking works unlike other cutting-edge distros...
It's basically like the Google Nexus phones of Linux distros
>>
>>53969447
>Got pissed with arch today
>Went to Fedora
>quite happy with it, actually
>gonna rice
>>
>>53971692
Fedora is really spiking in popularity lately. I think it's because my brain is the universe.
>>
>>53969007
>No, it's the opposite.

the only problem the FSF has with fedora is that it uses the linux kernel and not linux-libre you autistic fucking spergelord

>Fedora
>Fedora does have a clear policy about what can be included in the distribution, and it seems to be followed carefully. The policy requires that most software and all fonts be available under a free license, but makes an exception for certain kinds of nonfree firmware. Unfortunately, the decision to allow that firmware in the policy keeps Fedora from meeting the free system distribution guidelines.

>>53969228

steam has all the "botnet" features that you'd expect like hardware information gathering, but you can at least request access to what they have on you and to delete it
>>
Kek, I literally went back to windows 10 when I realised I was just installing as much proprietary shit on Linux as on windows, and that it was just becoming placebo. Clean windows 10 is pretty much as lightweight as ubuntu, so yeah, I'm happy with my decision.
>>
>posting on a non-free website
>>
>>53969447
Fedora has no packages. There's literally no reason to use it over Debian or Ubuntu.
>>
>>53968484
This, half of these shitposters probably never bothered to look when Fedora was release vs. when the meme surfaced onto the web
>>
Daily reminder that op doesn't know shit and has no professional Linux experience what so ever.
>>
>>53971715
Fedora became really fucking smooth lately. Before 20 some shit was buggy, mainly the installer
>>
Does fedora still use gnome 3? I can't stand gnome 3. I use mint mainly because Cinnamon is the only modern de I like.
>>
>>53969153
As if anyone is at least a good c programmer and is an expert with Linux and knows the inner works perfectly to be able to build his own distro up from 0.

No logic or point in doing that as a normal user, the best time investment would be in learning really quick how to use gentoo or arch.
>>
>>53975412
Just wait 1 month until fedora 24 gets released.. them wait 2 - 3 more months until rpm fusion packages are ok for 24... then install fedora - until then I recommend to go with Ubuntu 16.04 which will release in 10 - 20 days or go with Arch.
>>
>>53973990

that's because they're in rpmfusion you dolt

>>53975131

fat greasy long haired people wearing fedoras has been a thing forever, before the internet meme became popular it was a meme about dnd roleplayers

>>53975412
>Does fedora still use gnome

the default spin will always be gnome

which is a shame because the spins are always buggy as shit
>>
>>53968240
What do you even use your computer for? Do you just work on bash scripts all day in hope to making your computer more useful, yet never actually use it?
>>
>>53975443
I think he was implying that using Linux at all is a waste of time.

Which it is.
>>
>>53975412
I fucking hate Gnome 3.

It's so absurdly stupid.

It's not even fucking compatible with KDE or Gnome 2 shortcuts. So if that software you like isn't getting updated to build Gnome 3 shortcuts in their dumbass "Activities" panel, well, I hope you like scripting just to streamline launching fucking desktop software like it's the fucking 90's and people are still coding with wooden clubs.
>>
>>53975412
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/cinnamon/
There you go anon
>>53975459
why recommend 24? 23 is polished as fuck and supported until 25 comes out
>>
>>53975710
Is Cinnamon compatible with KDE shortcuts?
>>
daily reminder that if you're op, you're a faggot
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-10_07-43-47.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-10_07-43-47.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>53968240
Am I doing it right OP?

Am i approved for autism?
>>
>>53968261
Well I strungle a bit on using yum, other then that.....
Ubuntu is usually the intro linux for the "comon" person so I aprecciated it but I do preffer gnome personally
>>
>>53975785
>Ubuntu is usually the intro linux for the "comon" person so I aprecciated it but I do preffer gnome personally

More like the distro and DE for the common pleb.
>>
>>53975614
It takes less time to install than windows and just works.

A waste of time for a gaymer yes...
>>
>be me in 2005
>using linux on servers cuz its great
>oh how I wish the freetards would stop being retarded and focus on 1 distro
>fast forward 11 years
>even more distros maintained by even more fractured community

thanks, but my desktop is staying on windows
>>
>>53975785
>linux needs to be impractical and useless or else it's for plebs.

>>53975817
Well, someone never had an recurring X failure.

You'll see one day.
>>
>>53975828
Yes and it's beautiful, diversity is good..
But you dream came true with ubuntu, it is basically THE DISTRO when we talk about Linux, it's followed by Fedora in usage.

Amazingly both are very stable but in a way:
Ubuntu is for more stability and has similar performance with fedora.
Fedora is bleeding edge but not less stable.
>>
>>53975842
>oH NOOO SOMETHING BROKE ONCE IN A BLUE MOON AND I HAD TO ASK ON IRC FOR HELP :((((((((((((((((
>>
>ITT: :^)
>>
>>53975842
Just fix it then instead of staring at your screen clueless.

Such problems on a popular distro such as ubuntu are a forum search away.

Such problems on distros like Arch should be fixed by you - since you should understand everything you do around Linux and its inner workings and be able to figure out what's causing the problem.

Or be retarded and have a recurring problem then shitpost about how you hate linux.
>>
>>53975848
No, diversity is not good.

I work in software testing. You have no idea how much Linux pisses me off. There's two desktop environment that aren't completely compatible, and one with a new shitty version that's not compatible with its previous version, there's three different software installation structures and every fucking distribution has its special snowflake set of useless fucking features and subtleties about preloaded software and root privileges and folder structure and I fucking hate it. I HATE IT.

WHY CAN'T YOU NERDS PICK ONE DISTRIBUTION AND ONE DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT AND JUST MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY?
>>
>>53975848
ubuntu looks disgusting

no, im not installing some non default DE that will break 999 things.
>>
>>53975870
Every Linux problem is a special snowflake with its specific solution, anon. When I google my Linux issues, I go through dozens forum posts with slightly different problems or solutions to my problem that do not work. It's hell.
>>
>>53975828

Actually many popular distros have died off. All you're seeing is a bunch of Ubantu repackages.
>>
>>53975875

It's mainly because different desktop environments use different default software and the programmer only coded let's say xterm while let's say mate lacks it.

Compatibility issues are easy to use after all it's just the same kernel and the same gnu tools... + 3/4 of Linux desktop users use Ubuntu with Unity so you'll be just alright if worked with that.

Your problems are really irrelevant, the main idea stays up - diversity is good. It's a good thing, it's your fault 100% if you see it as a bad thing, use it or lose it.
>>
>>53975785

yum is difficult but ubuntu's apt-get update && apt-get install [...] is totally intuitive? what planet are you living on
>>
>>53975908
>Linux's shittiness is always the user's fault.

Here we go again.
>>
>>53975894
Then don't use Linux, use windows and call the Indian help center and they will reset your os remotely when you fail to hit reset OS button which flashes in popups.
>>
>>53975915
Yeah synaptic is pretty fucking easy
>>
>>53975891
Neither I am doing that, it's pretty unpractical.

You basically have few Desktop enviroments which all popular distributions over spins of.

KDE
GNOME
MATE
LXDE
XFDE

With the exception of XFDE they're all very maintained and polished ( KDE is shitty but beautiful and developers really believe they;re making a practical DE... normies like it )

Sure more alternatives exist and you're free to go with them, but some general experience with Linux is expected and much patience for potential lack of features or bugs.
>>
>>53975953
Installing with Yum is the exact same process as installing with Synaptic. There is not a single difference.
>>
>>53975894

distro specific instructions are almost never distro specific, there may be some niche cases where the distro the solution was provided for used a different version of something or is using a different config, but once you know the problem it's 100% guaranteed to be possible to find a solution for your distro

if not, you have no clue how to use google or problem solve

>>53975923
>>Linux's shittiness is always the user's fault.
>Here we go again.

>windows data gathering isn't a problem you paranoid spergelord
>osx is fine why do you want customisability

here comes the counter shilling :^)
>>
>>53975908
can I invite you to our company meetings, so you can tell everyone how wrong they are and that they need to spend 1000% more on linux development where shit needs to be maintained daily because something breaks nonstop and go bankrupt because you said so?

I used to maintain a certain client that ran under win, mac, linux. 90%+ of my time was spent fixing things for Distro 129876. I only touched win version when new features had to be added.
>>
>>53975998
I do not give a shit about your shitty American company.

I'm not a Linux fanatic you seem to be an anti Linux fanatic - I don't give a shit about you use w/e you want.

Maybe dumb people should just stay away from Linux.
>>
There's no reason to use Linux if you're a normie
It's just a hobby OS, people who want to make it popular a just retarded.
>>
>>53975990
>windows data gathering isn't a problem you paranoid spergelord
>osx is fine why do you want customisability
I didn't make any of these claims you fucking arrogant piece of shit.
>>
>>53976010
lmao I use linux daily, but the desktop versions are all fucking shit. All of them. Just look at the damn icons, its like 3 yo kids are making them. Fonts are shitty as fuck (used debian just yesterday, my eyes still hurt). Those are the most basic things. They cant even get those right.
>>
>>53975998
>I used to maintain a certain client that ran under win, mac, linux. 90%+ of my time was spent fixing things for Distro 129876. I only touched win version when new features had to be added.

if you actually wrote good software you wouldn't need to maintain things for specific distros because the distro maintainers would do that

take a leaf out of valve/microsoft/adobe's book and provide .deb/.rpm/.tar.gz packages and maybe make sure they work on ubuntu/debian/fedora and you've instantly made a package work on 99.9% of all distros, congratulations, it's not difficult
>>
>>53975990
Alright bitch, tell me how to permanently remove KDE shortcuts installed by a script installer without using kmenuedit on Fedora 21.

If you come up with a solution I've already considered, I'll know you're bullshitting me.
>>
>>53976059
>lmao I use linux daily, but the desktop versions
>used debian just yesterday

are you retarded

>>53976048

backend and software choice is bad and everyone should cater to you but I'm the arrogant one? okay :^)
>>
>>53976059
>I can't set up Debian proprerly
Just stick to Windows retard, nobody force you to use Linux
>>
>>53976107
>linux
>software choice

Oh boy. Where do I fucking start with this one?

Well you got the back end part right. Linux sure is good at forcing you to use the backend when X goes on strike.
>>
>>53976107
>>53976113
it was not mine computer. It belonged to some 50+ years old admin thats in the business for decades. Apparently even powerusers like that guy cant get the fonts right! Such is linux life.

Now go back to your lairs and keep ricing with anime.
>>
>>53976059
Damn you're a dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>53976146

>install latest ubuntu in a VM
>create a text file
>write something
>CTRL+S
> literally ERROR, some gibberish
>CTRL+S again
> now it works
> change document again, ctrl+s
> same thing, ERROR!!
>happens with every file

linux in the year 2016 ladies and genlemen
>>
>>53976181
What error was is it you fucking retard?

Holy shit Winshills can't even explain what the "problem" was, lmao
>>
>>53976181

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/52951/gedit-wont-save-a-file-on-a-virtualbox-share-text-file-busy

>This problem has been reported since 2009 (google for 'gedit virtualbox'). It is awful that there's no fix for it yet. Neither VirtualBox nor Gedit developers are willing to take responsibility for it, and instead are content to point fingers at one another for over SEVEN years.

this is what the common user experiences, its the default text app

and you retards wonder why ppl wont use linux
>>
>>53976206
>>53976222

WAT YOU SAY NOW
>>
>>53976222
Nope, retards don't use Linux, and it's better then
>>
>>53976206
I think he's legitimately dumb, and I guess most people just stay away, avoid dumb people because it's hard to explain them anything.. or he's trolling.

Just ignore his posts.
>>
>>53976268
>>This problem has been reported since 2009

>common joe wants to try linux he heard so much about
>they tell him to try in a VM first
>cant save text files

huuuur hes legitimately dumb
>>
>>53976322
You are. I'm sorry for you.
>>
>>53976059
>you can't change icon themes
xD
>>
>>53976340

>does not reply for 10 minutes about the problem, since the freetard has no answer

>replies in 1 minute to a shitpost

such is freetard life
>>
>>53976362
I've already stated I do not give a fuck about you + you replied that bug shit to someone else so why would I reply you?

I'm just coming after every 10 minutes to check this board, I'm not a dumb loser like you to shitpost about Linux.

Now you just used freetard meme out of thin air... damn you're trying so much.
>>
>>53976078
>Alright bitch, tell me how to permanently remove KDE shortcuts installed by a script installer without using kmenuedit on Fedora 21.

I have to assume that you made a post on linuxquestions.org and your issue with kmenuedit is that it only hides the icons instead of removing them?

if so -- have you tried showing hidden menu entries in kmenuedit and removing them that way?

kmenuedit also only writes to an xml file - you could probably remove the entries that way with a script

if that's not your issue and if it's one of caching, then delete the kde cache in /var/somewhere when kde is closed

>If you come up with a solution I've already considered, I'll know you're bullshitting me.

why, because I'm using google to diagnose your problem with no information for an obsolete version of a DE on a distro that stopped receiving support quite some time ago?

>>53976143
>Well you got the back end part right. Linux sure is good at forcing you to use the backend when X goes on strike.

when does x break outside of arch updates fucking with the conf?

come back without some tired old memes

>>53976145
>It belonged to some 50+ years old admin thats in the business for decades.

appeal to authority (also old people tend to be set in their ways regardless of profession)

>Apparently even powerusers like that guy cant get the fonts right!

fonts and rendering them are very subjective to begin with and the issue of fonts looking bad has only popped up within the past few years because of things like cleartype coming about and people getting really autistic about rendering fonts

but okay, ootb font rendering sucks for a lot of distros, that's why there's literally pages and pages of config setups to fix them on every major distro

>>53976222

problem specific to running a gnome based distro in a vm on specific emulation software

well done, you've found an extremely niche bug, there's plenty of those on windows
>>
>>53976552

most popular distro
most popular emulation software
default text app

yea ok, niche bug
>>
>>53976222
>this is what the common user experiences, its the default text app

>>53976322
>>common joe wants to try linux he heard so much about
>>they tell him to try in a VM first

>>53976581
>yea ok, niche bug

wow way to push the narrative that this is the general user's first introduction to linux; there's a reason why people push for using liveusb's so much, it's because virtualising an operating system is a painful experience and can introduce a shit ton of undocumented issues

but sure, I'll give you it being a shitty introduction to linux from a normie perspective if they happen to be using virtualbox against all common advice of using it in a liveusb if they can

>>53976581
>most popular emulation software

>virtualbox
>not the free vmware server

okay.jpg
>>
>>53976581
Most popular emulation software would me WMware tho, that's what also businesses use with exception with few very stupid and insignificant ones.
>>
>>53976741
I can relate to what anon says, when I wanted to test out Linux virtual machine was the least of possibilities.

First I used live USB then installed in on old laptop - then went full balls with a full install on desktop and ended up practicing and playing allot with virtual box in the end.
>>
>>53975842
>c 1 day
yes and hurry anon, X is going the way of the dodo in favor of wayland and you are running out of time to have a ~95 era X11 driver problem.

>OH NOES!! A CONFIGFILE!!!
>>
>>53976875
Dude. I installed Debian on a virtual machine just two days ago, everything was working fine, I put the VM in sleep mode, and when I returned, X crashed and it couldn't boot again.

How does that fucking happen?
>>
>>53968240
I installed RHEL yesterday. Felt good to use a proprietary Linux endorsed by Microsoft and Oracle.
>>
>>53976900
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>53976143
>>53976145
>not knowing debian is a server distro
>talking about how ugly desktop distro's are
>referring to Debian in his argument

lol he is retarded
>>
>>53976913
Well I guess that's one problem your arrogance can't fix.
>>
>>53976222
why the fuck would you ever need to use a vm to write?

how about a real world example that isn't autistic.
>>
>>53968240
>install two propitiatory programs on Linux
is bad
>>
>>53976904
>proprietary Linux

rhel is FOSS you mongoloid, what do you think centos builds off of?

>>53976900
>virtual machine

there's your problem

no, seriously,

>I put the VM in sleep mode, and when I returned, X crashed and it couldn't boot again.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61835

>We don't actively support guest hibernation. That is, it might work with some guests but we don't guarantee anything. [...] The normal way to hibernate a guest with VirtualBox is to terminate the guest with 'save the guest state'.

hardware related features not working when virtualised, who would have thought it
>>
File: Facepalm.jpg (14 KB, 200x207) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm.jpg
14 KB, 200x207
>>53976552
>have you tried this
Always. You Linux assholes always think you can fix everything, but you don't fix anything, you just pitch suggestions and hope it works. Because you don't actually know how Linux works and you're not of any actual help. But at least telling people with problems to "try" random shit you come up with off the top of your nose makes you feel like you're being a helpful skilled tech guy.
>>
>>53968240
I have mint, steam, skype, flash, and chrome all installed :^)
>>
>>53977001
>The normal way to hibernate a guest with VirtualBox is to terminate the guest with 'save the guest state'.

That's exactly what I did.
>>
First time I've been to /g/. I had no idea that the community would be as spiteful as it is for something like Linux of all things. Doesn't surprise me though. 4chan and all..
>>
>>53976971
Why would I be arrogant?
>>
>>53968240
Stallman said that you're losing even more freedom if you use Windows, implying that distros that aren't completely non-free are still more free than Windows, so you're wrong if you stick to Stallman's word.
>>
>>53977001
>rhel is FOSS you mongoloid, what do you think centos builds off of?

Successfully trolled.
>>
>>53976900
why the fuck are you using an X server on a VM anyway?
>>
>>53975973
wtf is xfde? what are you talking about?
i think u mean XFCE
xfce is still maintained and since its been around for a long time its very polished.
you must be 18 to visit this bored faggot
>>
>>53977043
To sandbox a desktop application. How the fuck does questioning my motive help or change anything about how unstable and inconvenient Linux is?
>>
>>53973990
>What is Copr
>What is rpmfusion
>>
>>53977068
because when you run VMs, you always run into problems if you aren't using a minimal system (and even then.)

It is not the OS's fault (on Virtualbox on Windows 10 I had a problem where both Win7 and CentOS7 would not boot, it turned out it was VB's problem that I could fix by adjusting settings.)

When you use a VM, hope for the best but expect the worst.
>>
>>53977072
There's also an application that's just called "Packages". It has packages in it. That's one place you can go if you want packages. It's intuitive, because it's called packages.
>>
>>53977003
>>have you tried this
>Always. You Linux assholes always think you can fix everything

I asked if you had tried it because a) I didn't fucking say I could magically fix your problem in the first place, I said that if a solution exists for a different distribution then it will work with almost any other distribution with minor tweaks if even necessary and b) you fucking implied you had fixed the issue and that you were presenting a solution (after finding your own)

but no, please, go on, I'm here all night

>but you don't fix anything, you just pitch suggestions and hope it works.

that's because not everyone will be running the same distribution and software that you are running, you arrogant fuckstick, not everyone can just replicate your issue and find a solution without swapping, so the next best thing is to offer troubleshooting solutions to get the user to cough up enough info to find what the fucking problem is

you realise you're literally asking for a solution to a niche problem with next to no information given, right?

>Because you don't actually know how Linux works and you're not of any actual help.

somebody doesn't know how to solve a problem for an outdated de on an unsupported distribution, a problem that only exists because the software developer doesn't know how to clean up their program, cry me a fucking river

the sheer amount of fucking entitlement you demonstrate by asking people for their time to solve your issue while providing zero feedback is astounding
>>
>>53977068
>feeding the trolls

except that GNU/Linux is only as convenient or inconvenient as its maintainers. "muh games" asside, distro's like Ubuntu, OpenSuse and RHEL/CentOS are just as stable as Windows or OS/X. A normie would be able to get any work done on any OS as long as it was work and they weren't fiddling, thats when you have to learn the system and if you aren't used to an OS of course it's gonna be difficult at first you flaming faggot.
>>
>>53969007
> It's made by a company that cares about profit instead of freedom.
they still contribute more to the linux world than you :^)
>>
I don't care, I'm not doing illegal shot like you OP
>>
>>53975710
Thanks senpai, /g/ needs more helpful bros like yourself
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>53977031

because in his arrogance he thinks you're me (he replied to me here >>53976048 and now is a little buttmad)

oh, that isn't the case mr >>53977031 ? how arrogant of me :^)

>>53977021

/g/ is infested with paid or unpaid shills that can't handle the fact that linux is outside of their windows poweruser skillset

like or dislike linux, the sheer amount of hatred and disdain against it from this board can only be attained through the sheer buttpain of entitled babies not getting their way

>>53977039

pic related

>>53977068
>How the fuck does questioning my motive help or change anything about how unstable and inconvenient Linux is?

>look guys I can make linux be unstable by running it in a vm

use the free vmware server if virtualbox is that much of an issue
>>
>>53977137
>omebody doesn't know how to solve a problem for an outdated de on an unsupported distribution,
See this is why Linux sucks. Every distro and every environment has its own special snowflake setups making it impossible to be sure of what you're doing.

You know how you delete a shortcut in Windows? YOU DELETE IT. BECAUSE IT'S A FILE. A FILE IN A FOLDER IN THE FILE SYSTEM. IT'S BEEN THIS WAY SINCE 1995.

WHO THOUGHT OF THIS AMAZING SYSTEM?

EVEN BETTER: THEY PRACTICALLY DIDN'T CHANGE PLACES ON THE DISK SINCE 1995. AND EVEN IF THEY DID, YOU CAN REMOVE THEM FROM WHERE THEY APPEAR ON YOUR DESKTOP, AS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO.

THEN DIDN'T GET MOVED FROM /usr/share/applications/ TO /usr/share/.kde TO /usr/share/.config/kde4 to /usr/share/.kde4 AND ARBITRARILY CACHED INTO AN ANNOYINGLY PERSISTENT CACHE SOMEWHERE ELSE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BECAUSE LINUX DEVELOPERS HAVE DIFFERENT FANCIES AND WHIMS EVERY TIME THEY MAKE A NEW ENVIRONMENT.

Hey what's this? You know MAC OS, the system that everyone, including me, belittles and despises? SNAP. IT'S THE SAME PROCESS. You can't even get stuck on this question in a Mac. A fucking monkey could do it.

WHY DOES LINUX NOT GIVE ME CONTROL OVER MY SHIT? IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CUSTOMIZABLE. WHERE IS THAT FUCKING COLLABORATIVE INGENUOSITY KNOWN TO BE CHARACTERISTIC OF GNU SOFTWARE IN GNOME 3 AND KDE WHEN THEY'RE BOTH OBJECTIVELY WORSE THAN WINDOWS AND MAC OS'S DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT IN EVERY CONCEIVABLE WAY AND ONLY GETTING WORSE OVER TIME!? WHAT ARE THE DEVELOPERS SMOKING TO DECIDE TO MAKE THEM SO TERRIBLE!?
>>
>>53977239
It just proves that Linux stormfag shills are not even following a trolling plan - it's just plain stupidity and anger.
>>
File: FS-layout.png (19 KB, 653x693) Image search: [Google]
FS-layout.png
19 KB, 653x693
>>53977249
>>53977137
I MEAN THANK GOD YOU CAN JUST CUSTOMIZE ANYTHING BY EDITING CONFIGURATION FILES THAT ARE CONVENIENTLY PLACED RANDOMLY IN A CRAZY MAZE OF FOLDERS WITH A NAMING CONVENTION OF RANDOM GARBAGE ABBREVIATIONS THAT MEAN NOTHING

LOOK AT ALL THIS SHIT AND TELL ME IT MAKES A LICK OF SENSE.
>>
File: 1460247558286.jpg (23 KB, 336x330) Image search: [Google]
1460247558286.jpg
23 KB, 336x330
>>53977294
>>
>>53977249
You know how to pull out Microsoft cock from your ass? You can't.
You know how to stop them spying? You can't.
You know how you can stay safe from hackers? You can't. Many exploits are not even considered for fixing by Microsoft and a great deal of dangerous hackers obviously exploit them - the closed source drama.

Meanwhile your problem is that you couldn't delete an icon properly.. I guess computers are not your thing.
>>
>>53977294
Your retardation intensified too much.

You're in a semi-dead thread which probably 5 people check every 15 minutes.
>>
>>53977137
>>53977294
>>53977249
AND INSTALLING SOFTWARE IS AS EASY AS TYPING LONG COMMANDS IN BASH TO EXTRACT AN ARCHIVE IN A FOLDER NAMED ACCORDING TO IT, SWITCHING TO THAT FOLDER AND RUNNING THE INSTALL SCRIPT WITH THE ARGUMENTS IT EXPECTS AS A SUPER USER. TAR XVFZ? THAT SLIDES RIGHT OFF THE FUCKING TONGUE.

HOPEFULLY YOU WON'T WANT TO UNINSTALL IT BEFORE YOU GIVE UP ON LINUX ALTOGETHER, BECAUSE THERE'S NO PROCEDURE FOR THAT.
>>
>>53975753
Arch GNU plus Linux is clearly not approved by the FSF you filthy casual
>>
>>53977318
>muh microsoft is spying on me
>muh NSA confirmed for ISP level spying
>I'm a special snowflake that everyone wants to spy on!
>Linux is exploit and hacker free!
>http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04/researchers-help-shut-down-spam-botnet-that-enslaved-4000-linux-machines/

Yeah this was just yesterday.
>>
>>53977294
Makes perfect sense to me :^).
>>
>>53977137
>>53977249
>>53977294
>>53977360
DO YOUR SCRIPTS MANAGE SERVICES IN INIT.D? TOO BAD, IT'S OBSOLETE NOW, SO SPEAKETH THE COUNCIL OF MAKING THINGS POINTLESSLY COMPLICATED. AND FORGET ABOUT MAKING COMMANDS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE. JUST READ THE MANUAL YOU FUCKING SCRUB.
>>
>>53975648
>updated to build Gnome 3 shortcuts in their dumbass "Activities" panel,
If software you're using doesn't create .desktop files, you shouldn't be using it senpai. Even wine does that shit.

I'll admit that GNOME 3 is a little tough to get used to, but that doesn't make it "absurdly stupid."

>I hope you like scripting just to streamline launching fucking desktop software like it's the fucking 90's
Who is 90?

It's not hard to launch applications in GNOME, by the way. You press the super key, type what you want, and press enter. Done.
>>
>>53977401
>>53977137
>>53977249
>>53977294
>>53977360
OH HEY, WANT TO INSTALL AN OLD PACKAGE THAT WASN'T UPDATED IN A WHILE? BETTER HOW NONE OF THE 782 DEPENDENCIES HAVE BEEN RETIRED FROM YOUR REPOSITORY, THAT IS, IF YOUR REPOSITORY'S NOT PLAIN FUCKING DOWN AT THE MOMENT.
>>
>>53977137
>>53977420
>>53977401
>>53977249
>>53977294
>>53977360
UH OH. YOUR BOOTLOADER JUST DECIDED IT WAS ON STRIKE. HAVE FUN SPEAKING ITS FUCKING LANGUAGE. IT'S LIKE BASH, EXCEPT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND PRACTICALLY NOTHING WORKS IN IT. WHAT'S THAT? IT CAN'T READ THE FILE SYSTEMS? WELL FUCK YOU. READ THE MANUAL.
>>
>>53977318
>the closed source drama.
There is nothing about closed source that is responsible for Microsoft's behavior.
MS isn't a bunch of cool guys writing amazing software for a living. It's a commercial outfit bent on maximizing profits however it can. Where your interests and theirs align you'll benefit, otherwise it's bad news.
The problem is market dominance, not closed source.
>>
>>53977401
If you're talking about systemd, (1) it's backwards compatible with init.d scripts -- for instance, see Debian, which still packages a TON of initscripts; and (2) systemd makes starting services at boot easier than ever. It's literally just:

[Unit]
Description=my application

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/myapp

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Versus a 100-line shell script for sysvinit: https://github.com/fhd/init-script-template/blob/master/template. Yuck.

>>53977420
You need to find another distribution.

>>53977452
Sorry, but 99% of the time, your bootloader doesn't go on "strike." You're either using a shitty distribution (one that pushes out broken grub releases, for example), or you broke it somehow.

Basically all of these problems would be solved if you used a distro guaranteed to be stable, like CentOS or Debian stable. But I'm sure you'd find a caps-lock objection to that, too.
>>
HEY TIME TO BOOT MY LINUX MACHINE AND GET SOME WORK DONE

OH NO. THE KERNEL UPDATE BROKE IT. NOW IT'S DETECTING 4 MICE, NO SCREEN, IT'S LOADING THE ARABIC KEYMNAP AND IT LITERALLY SAID IT'S MOUNTING MY MOTHER INSTEAD OF THE FILESYSTEM.

WELL, TIME TO SPEND THE NEXT 8 HOURS FIGURING OUT LINUX. BOY IT'S LIKE I'M WORKING FOR THE COMPUTER INSTEAD OF HAVING THE COMPUTER WORK FOR ME. BUT HEY, AT LEAST THERE'S NO JEWS SPYING ON ME OR CONTROLLING MY SOFTWARE TO PROTECT THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. THAT'S LITERALLY THE DEVIL.
>>
File: standards.png (24 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24 KB, 500x283
>>53977249
>See this is why Linux sucks. Every distro and every environment has its own special snowflake setups making it impossible to be sure of what you're doing.

look, I get it, developing for 2+ major DEs, 2+ major distributions with different file packaging must be a pain in the cock but it's literally something you do once then your different build targets take care of the rest

can you honestly appreciate for a minute that what you were trying to do (if that was your forum post, you never verified) was some pretty niche trial and error programming that plagues every developer at some point?

>You know how you delete a shortcut in Windows? YOU DELETE IT. BECAUSE IT'S A FILE. A FILE IN A FOLDER IN THE FILE SYSTEM. IT'S BEEN THIS WAY SINCE 1995.

your problem has parallels to windows with there being 500 different ways programs can be opened on startup, not including being listed in several registry places, startup folders, startup scripts in win8+

no os is ever going to be perfectly consistent because you can't get a design document written well enough to cover everything for thousands of developers to follow and coordinate with each other when something isn't covered

>WHAT ARE THE DEVELOPERS SMOKING TO DECIDE TO MAKE THEM SO TERRIBLE!?

fun fact, one of the primary gnome founders (who also founded mono) wanted to work at microsoft before working on gnome, and later went on to to claim linux on the desktop was dead, and that he used osx as a desktop driver, only to later be hired by microsoft fairly recently

I'm not trying to say gnome and kde are paradigms of modern desktop design, they're pretty shitty, I'll completely agree, and it doesn't help that they're often driven by egotistical fuckwads that won't change things because it works on their machine
>>
>>53977546
>KERNEL UPDATE
see >>53977528:
>Basically all of these problems would be solved if you used a distro guaranteed to be stable, like CentOS or Debian stable. But I'm sure you'd find a caps-lock objection to that, too.

Regressions happen, but when you use a bleeding-edge meme distro, you're begging for them.
>>
>>53975753
this is a man
>>
>>53977528
>If you're talking about systemd
I'm talking about how the NST service used to be managed through init.d and now I have to use the service manager. It's relatively simple when you know that, yes, but since I didn't know, that caused me to go through a few hours of troubleshooting.

>You need to find another distribution.
The last time that happened to me, I was using apt-get on the latest version of Ubuntu.

>or you broke it somehow.
I recovered a Clonezilla backup of my system.
>>
File: Linux-Directory-Structure.jpg (45 KB, 640x519) Image search: [Google]
Linux-Directory-Structure.jpg
45 KB, 640x519
>>53977294
>I MEAN THANK GOD YOU CAN JUST CUSTOMIZE ANYTHING BY EDITING CONFIGURATION FILES THAT ARE CONVENIENTLY PLACED RANDOMLY IN A CRAZY MAZE OF FOLDERS WITH A NAMING CONVENTION OF RANDOM GARBAGE ABBREVIATIONS THAT MEAN NOTHING

windows software does this with %appdata%\roaming|local|locallow, program files, program files(x86), random messes of folders in the c:\ root, documents, etc and a whole bunch of legacy shit nobody really cares about

I know it's pretty convoluted at first but you're literally complaining that shit isn't how you expect it to be

>>53977360
>AND INSTALLING SOFTWARE IS AS EASY AS TYPING LONG COMMANDS IN BASH TO EXTRACT AN ARCHIVE IN A FOLDER NAMED ACCORDING TO IT[........]
>HOPEFULLY YOU WON'T WANT TO UNINSTALL IT BEFORE YOU GIVE UP ON LINUX ALTOGETHER, BECAUSE THERE'S NO PROCEDURE FOR THAT.

that's why package managers are a thing, anon

yum/dnf install packagex, yum/dnf remove packagex
or, for rpm packages,
rpm -i packagex.tar.whatever, rpm -e packagex

not so difficult now, was it?

>>53977401
>DO YOUR SCRIPTS MANAGE SERVICES IN INIT.D? TOO BAD, IT'S OBSOLETE NOW

>progress is bad, everyone should continue using old outdated methods to do things

>AND FORGET ABOUT MAKING COMMANDS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE. JUST READ THE MANUAL YOU FUCKING SCRUB.

any major change is usually announced months if not longer before on mailing lists etc and if it's major enough it'll hit some news sites

and before you come back with

>HAVING TO CHECK MAILING LISTS

what do you want to do if you want to stay up to date with practices for developing on windows? oh that's right, follow the mdsn etc
>>
>>53977588
Nah it's clearly a girl, a normie tho.
Actually now that you replied to that and I've starred a little - she's cute.
>>
>>53977613
>that caused me to go through a few hours of troubleshooting.
Sorry. If it helps to know, you can do `dpkg -L the-package' in the future to get a list of files/directories owned by a package.

>The last time that happened to me, I was using apt-get on the latest version of Ubuntu.
Wait, so using vanilla Ubuntu with only vanilla Ubuntu packages from vanilla Ubuntu repos, you had dependency issues while installing a package? You should contact the maintainer.

Otherwise, you should expect issues desu. (Especially if you're installing an old version of a package. How old?)

>I recovered a Clonezilla backup of my system.
Hmmm... are you using UEFI?
>>
>>53977662
It started out simple but it became complicated mostly for backwards compatibility, but Window's file system is really simple when you look at the big picture. The boot files are on the root folder (I can't stress how much sense that makes), there's a folder for users, a folder for applications and a folder for the system. The next level is as simple: One folder for each user, one folder for each application, and as for Windows, well... I can't quite account for it. But you never really need to mess in the system's files anyway. The only time I found myself having to edit a system file without using a GUI was to edit the hosts files. And developers only have system folders to work with, if they want to use common dependencies.

As for local, locallow and roaming, that's just the three user specific folders that aren't documents folders. What's so complicated about that? There's one for settings that can be roamed between computers, one for computer-specific settings, and one for computer-specific settings for apps that are run in safe mode.
>>
>>53977420
>OH HEY, WANT TO INSTALL AN OLD PACKAGE THAT WASN'T UPDATED IN A WHILE?

if it's old enough for distros to drop support for dependencies then old is an understatement, that thing is fucking ancient

if using an equally ancient distro (like debian stable, older centos releases) doesn't work - then what the fuck are you doing needing 9~ year old packages?

no, really, go look it up, centos 5 (released march 2007) is supported until march 2017

>THAT IS, IF YOUR REPOSITORY'S NOT PLAIN FUCKING DOWN AT THE MOMENT

that is why every major distro has dozens if not hundreds of mirrors in countries across the world

>>53977452

not even going to elaborate on this one?

>>53977546
>HEY TIME TO BOOT MY LINUX MACHINE AND GET SOME WORK DONE
> OH NO. THE KERNEL UPDATE BROKE IT.

that's why when installing new kernels almost every distribution will KEEP old kernels and keep them as entries in grub so you always have known working kernels to boot into if newer kernels are broken, as well as provide fucking recovery kernels that use the kernel you installed on

also not an issue if you're not using testing/rc distros, the kernel is literally the one piece of software in the gnu+linux sphere that receives the MOST testing

--

anyway thanks for the laugh, I really didn't mean to make you this mad, honest
>>
>>53977789
>The boot files are on the root folder (I can't stress how much sense that makes)

in linux they're in /boot

>there's a folder for users

/home

the rest is a tiny bit more complicated because linux binaries tend to dynamically link rather than statically link, but the gist is there

>The only time I found myself having to edit a system file without using a GUI was to edit the hosts files.

the problem is the gui, I've had to dig through the registry a few times and the only thing more of a pain in the arse on linux is having to dig through config files that shouldn't be dug through by hand (xml, whatever) because the guitools tend to do a better job

not to mention, having to know which of the gui submenus something is in is a nightmare, versus config files which are usually pretty consistent (barring DEs) - I get it though, whatever floats your boat

>What's so complicated about that?

it's more places to look akin to DE's changing which folder to look for which setting or version, it's less complicated on windows granted depending on the application

but of course as you say for windows, these problems on linux stem from backwards compatibility (and not adheering to it) and changing standards and subsequently people not following those standards

gnome and kde are the worse offenders for it and I really dislike those environments for doing so but the underlying systems don't change enough for it to be a problem and the DE's only go through major change every few years - if you develop something now it'll work on most distros still being supported so long as the DE support is there, if not there's at least some backwards compatibility for not too distant stuff
>>
>>53977452

anyway I'm off anon, thanks for the bants :)
>>
>>53978121
Thank you for listening to my insufferable ranting. I hope it was entertaining rather than annoying.
>>
>>53977239
>everyone I dont agree with is a shill

you are fucking autismo kid, you think companies with 90%+ market share for DECADES need to shill on some god forbidden image board where they cant do 3rd grade math about SSD lifetime and everyone thinks he knows whats he talking about by parroting 1 shill article.
>>
>>53968240
>I don't like these things cause I don't like fun
>I think everything should be free
>I don't believe in supporting
OK so when you work at your job and your boss refuses to pay you, what will you do when he says"I'm not paying you cause you should WANT our services done FOR FREE"

How old are you? 16? Go away. No one literally cares.

>>53969228
Stop listening to /g/ about these, asking for advice is ok but most people here don't like to game, hate anything that's easy to use, if it has anything with a trade mark they hate it, if it's not open source they hate it.

This is why /g/ sucks.

>>53973850
What about Windows Ultimate? Windows 10 is so fucking NSA'd it's scary

>>53975215
>Linux
>professional exp
Pick one

>>53975516
He's lying, he plays WOW and acts like a snob and has no friend. He thinks basically that your tastes are bad if you don't like Oolong tea, or am I getting him confused with a hipster?
>>
>>53973890
reply to this post! you freetards!
>>
>>53975973
Kys
>>
>>53968862
Do people really believe this?
>>
>>53969447
Fedora works for a few days then fails to boot. Third time in the last week it's done it.
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.