[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Computers today are no better than computers in 2013 What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10
File: 1448128211932.png (14 KB, 399x391) Image search: [Google]
1448128211932.png
14 KB, 399x391
>Computers today are no better than computers in 2013

What the hell is happening
>>
desktop computers have become deprecated, get with the times dinosaur
>>
>>53959005
We have reached a technology ceiling.

Now we praise devices that performs less(phones tablets ect) because our lives are based on simplistic needs.

A gaming laptop with a dedicated GPU is no longer needed as well(I have one and don't need it anymore, thinking of getting a Surace pro).
>>
>>53959005
>less powerdraw and consumption for same performance
>more comprehensive apis for software integration
>faster and cheaper storage
>faster lanes on new bus standards, increasing bandwidth thresholds and speeding up transfer speeds
>>
>>53959005
I'm more pissed about networking standards lagging so hard

I can only get a 200mbps WAN line at most where I live, and just put 10gbe fiber between my desktop and NAS.

Literally everybody should have 1gbe WAN but ATT and Verizon have to jew it up.
>>
diminishing returns
>>
>>53959005
Moore's law is dead.

PC's are dead.

The next great thing is the smart watch.
>>
>>53959142
This.

Progress has 100% been focused on improving power efficiency, communications systems, high-PPI displays and other computer 'peripheral' technologies rather than chasing moore's law.

As long as the PC is faster than the user, it it fast enough. Of course this still isn't often the case since modern software has taken every improvement in stride and just become more and more bloated, more and more interpreted JIT spaghetti nonsense rather than bare metal code. Every year fewer programs are written in precompiled languages.

But again if it still feels like shit keep in mind the incredible advances we've made in display hardware (finally enabling milestone consumer HMDs), radio (4G wireless was a huge improvement, 5G will be even more so). Because we all figured out having the 10k multiGPU machine is worthless without fast internet and high-res displays.

We've also reduced power usage on CPUs dramatically in the last decade. the entire "core" series of processors was based on intel's 'mobile' tech rather than the existing pentiums, which were rapidly approaching a thermal performance barrier by P3/P4 (to say nothing of clock speed and die size). Obviously this was way before 2013 but the trends were set there
>>
>>53959251
>The next great thing is the smart watch.

>tfw my metal Pebble Time Steel band broke a couple days ago
>just fell apart in my hands when I took it off the charger
>two of the pins came loose
>managed to get the tiny buggers back in after a while
>realized the other side had the same problem but the tiny pins weren't in it

gotta go find my old leather band until I find out where to order replacement pins
>>
>>53959452
Serves you right for not buying an Apple Watch.
>>
>>53959496
I don't have an Apple phone...
>>
File: 3AT84RAJGA3E1442463434456.jpg (165 KB, 622x240) Image search: [Google]
3AT84RAJGA3E1442463434456.jpg
165 KB, 622x240
>>53959192
no moar endless cc
>>
>>53959534
So you made not one but two mistakes.
>>
File: 26574328.jpg (34 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
26574328.jpg
34 KB, 1024x576
>>53959178
> he doesn't live in gig city
>>
>>53959583
Well, I use GNU/Linux on my computers so it only made sense to use something similar on a phone. Sailfish wasn't around at the time. I think Android was the closest thing.
>>
>>53959116
>mfw surface pro 4 can play csgo perfectly
>>
>>53959005
Software is still shit so hardware has no need to advance. Why the fuck do I need more than 4 cores when 90% of my applications aren't even multi-threaded.
>>
>>53960089
Because it's cool
>>
>>53959005
Try 2009

Deminishing returns and shiet

Im still waiting for $300 8 core i7s but thats never happening
>>
SSDs are much better and much more affordable than they were then. People are only thinking of CPU/GPU.
>>
The guy linked below nailed it. The rise of Pajeet and CS classes which focus on syntax without actually understanding the concepts.
>>53959312
>Every year fewer programs are written in precompiled language
>>
Laptops and phones, OP. Laptops have been getting smaller and smaller, higher res screens with great PPI, and lower power draw. Normies don't use desktops as much these days and most major manufacturers want to cater to that demographic as much as possible.
>>
>>53959005
No competition.
>>
>>53960789
This.

AMD has shat the bed repeatedly since what 2009
ARM havent gone into the desktop/server market and probably never will
Games are getting diminishing returns and the only major change is now Direct X and feature levels. its been this was since what 2007
>>
File: Diminishing Returns.png (87 KB, 549x275) Image search: [Google]
Diminishing Returns.png
87 KB, 549x275
Pic related.

We now focus on side project because the more polygons isn't worth it anymore
>>
>>53960214
It actually makes me sad I might as well be a Pajeet. I started as an intern working a queue. Made a couple programs to make my life easier at work and now all I do is development. I don't know actual concepts but I can write code.
>>
>10 years ago
unlimited data plan addons for literally $10

>now
1gb is $20 addon, plus $5 per 100mb over cap

why?
>>
>>53961005
Greed and jews
>>
>>53961005
Living in a shitty kikefest country.
>>
>>53961013
Unlimited data 10 years ago was at what speeds compared to now? You also need to factor in the number of people using the pipeline now. You pay a premium that wasn't required back then because now you actually have to share.
>>
>>53961042
I had unlimited data 15 years ago and still have it now. You seem to be suffering a chronic case of being jewed.
>>
>>53961005
Only in your country, dummy.
>>
>>53959005
they get like twice the battery life

eat my asshole
>>
>>53961013
so long as greed translates to monopolies and jews translates to the government im ok with this

with full knowledge that jews run the banks and therefore the government
>>
>>53961106
take my dick out first fgt
>>
I know that CPUs have pretty much been at a standstill for the last five years, but what about GPUs? Have they been getting better or are they also hitting a wall?
>>
>>53959005
>i'm not using the newer features that give 25-50% better power and speed

Really nobody's fault but your own
>>
Nothing evidently. Otherwise things would be improving.
>>
>>53959251
Were fucked
>>
>>53959005
Yeah man, flash storage is at a stand still. Let's not forget about GPUs too am I right?
>>
>>53961151
They're still getting much faster, but games are just getting pointlessly bloated.
There are current games that can't even match 2007 Crysis (9 years already?) in terms of graphics fidelity but still struggle to run on a mid range R7 or 960 at 1080p.
>>
>>53961098
Company phone with 120GB of garenteed unthrottled data. I don't care, I was just putting the opinion in.
>>
I think you need to hold onto your buts.

stacked dram is coming to cpu modules, RAM itself may move from dram to something else - xpoint or maybe memristor (no idea what hp is up to).

gpu's are finally becoming integrated at the platform level - easy gpu compute with hardware that is much more flexible.

this whole VR bs is going to land. you will want way more than 4k display per eye and 120Hz.

single thread cpu performance may never increase, indeed it may regress, but throughput is going to be insane.

I am not worried, its mostly going to all be about figuring out how to exploit the new systems and hardware, but I think we are already starting to get a handle on what the api's are going to look like.
>>
>>53960939
We already have the technology for TB/s VSAT connections, the only people that get to use these huge bandwidth VSAT streams are drones operated by the U.S. Government.

Im not tinfoiling either we can seriously have global 5g tier connections.
>>
>>53959005
*consumer computers

I don't see why this is a bad thing. That means that great tech will be more affordable to a wider variety of people.

There's plenty of shit going on in Enterprise if you want to geek out over tech. Oh right, that might require you get a job though.
>>
>>53959005
Shitty software, shitty people.

>>53959142
Wow, $20 saved a year, a theoretical 5% gain in select applications that barely matters for shit, and it's a little easier for shovelware developers to put out more garbage

I'm practically shaking in my boots.
>>
>>53960939
>don't know actual concepts
Then how the fuck do you code?
>>
>>53959005
>laptops can have desktop gtx980s with dragons painted on them
Think again single white boi :^)
>>
>>53959005
Physics and diminishing returns

Physically our current methods of building computers are maxed out more or less.

There are still a few more things we could do, but the cost is so ridiculously high nobody is aggressively investing in it. Even the US military is not paying for them anymore.

But fear not as we are refining our current methods for better power savings as that opens new markets like smartwatches, green industry use and insanely sophisticated toys for small children.

Meanwhile our code quality is so poor that we could continue to see gains just by fixing bloated software. Also why do people need more performance?

Just don't expect prices to keep falling like they have as their are base costs that manufacturing has to cover. Over priced high end chips are already used to subsidize low end chips that cost about the same to manufacture. This practice is getting complicated as more chip types will be released for specialized applications in an effort to gain optimized performance. So the counter is to raise prices to prevent people from shorting the market model.
>>
>>53960214
Computer science has nothing to do with hardware speeds
>>
at this point seems like the next jump in technology needs to come from a leap in technology, much like the transistor was, something like that. quantum computing, organic computers, whatever it is
>>
File: 1452664295294.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1452664295294.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>53959005
Mobile computing is gaining market share. The demand for laptops and desktops are dropping, that's why Microsoft is trying to jump ship with the Surface. I bet Google's going to debute Android with a desktop launcher and proper support for x86 this year and finally take the rest of the market. Most normal people simply don't need high-end devices with a large profiles when smartphones fill all their computing needs, gives them reliable communication and connection everywhere, and are more portable and personal than conventional computers.
>>
File: 1459108468373.jpg (38 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1459108468373.jpg
38 KB, 600x800
currently waiting for these breaktroughs till i upgrade my tech
>carbon nanotube or any other capacitator based battery
>over 1tb ssds for less than $200
but yeah, it sure feelsgoodman to know that technology is not improving
i can keep using my T420 and iPhone SE easily till 2020
>>
>>53960872
That picture only proves the more polys are better. 6 million polygons are quite standard today
>>
>mfw quantum computing speeds up list-based functions infinitely thereby making almost all functions infinitely faster
Wew lad
>>
>>53961886
gross pic
>>
>>53961963
How so? That bed looks clean and comfy, and that girl seems nice enough to offer to share it.
>>
>>53961886
why do people keep spreading this shit? demand for new laptops and desktops is dropping because they offer zero improvements to customers, not because nobody wants laptops and desktops

even the most banal normaltards have a crusty old piece of shit hiding under their bed for when they need to do actual work that they can't accomplish on a shitty phablet or tablet with a slow, clumsy touch interface
>>
>>53959005
>tfw my trash picked Windows XP Home Edition Pentium 4 system can still load 4chan in the same amount of time as your brand new Windows 7 Ultimate Core i7
>>
>>53959142
That awkward moment when my "old" and "power hungry" PC has a 95W max power limit (for 12 seconds) and no matter how hard you try, your 300W supply can never match it with the same load.
>>
>>53960872
but more polys does mean you can put more actors on the screen at once
>>
>>53959005
The market has changed. Perfomance users are no longer relevant.
>>
File: 1459579381180.jpg (32 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1459579381180.jpg
32 KB, 567x561
>>53962305
tfw that all depends on internet speed not the quality of a computer.
>>
>>53960282
>Laptops have been getting smaller and smaller

The circa 2008 Acer zg5 would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>53959178
>only 200mbps
>only

Fuck, I WISH I could get that. I'm right in the middle of Los Angeles, in a nice neighborhood full of media pros that you'd think would be clamoring for fiber, and yet the best I can get at my house is 30mbps.
>>
>>53961219
>memristor

jesus christ how horrifying
>>
>video game graphics have looked the same since 2012
>new releases are purposely unoptimized so people would have to buy new video cards
>require increasingly large amounts of storage space for no increase in content or game time
>require ridiculously large amounts of VRAM just to function properly
>games that do try to push the limit get downgraded to offer the same visual experience as consoles with 2007 hardware
>literally not a single AAA dev making a video game with low poly stylized graphics in order to use the extra processing power to push the limits of technology (Bethesda games are still divided into separately loading cells IN 2015)
>>
>>53959005

In CPU's there have been some extreme hurdles. EUVL took longer than expected and chip fabs have been suffering an increase in defects as they add more patterning layers.

In Software, single threaded performance was really the only thing that mattered until recently with Dx12/Vulkan.

In industry, the Xbox360 and Ps4 lasted longer than expected and the rise of mobile games took money away from desktop game development. The latest improvements are all in power usage.

GPU's have gotten faster just fine.
>>
I see the post arguing against OP...but idk if anyones noticed we hit our technology plateau a while ago...at least for general public. No idea what those gov cooks got cooking up. Thats why the focus is on improving the experience vs the actual hardware itself. Althought the two can go hand in hand (for example VR doesnt have real world application/ use other than escaping....unless you are talking warfare..replacing soldiers with bots controlled in virtual real time.... )
>>
>>53963083
kek
>>
>>53963234
retard
>>
>>53959005

>What the hell is happening

Nothing, that's what's happening.
>>
>>53961166
I dunno, VR is getting along nicely.
In 5 years i'll be probably wearing a monocle that completely integrates the digital and real world.
>>
>>53959178
Meanwhile, in australia.
>>
File: fiveyears.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
fiveyears.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>53963994
>>
>>53959005
It's not that computers aren't getting any better.
It's that consumer computers aren't.

From a tecnical standpoint server based tecnology and networking systems have been improved non stop, and 100 gig ethernet and fiber infrastructures are being installed as we speak.

Tecnology keep evolving at a steady pace the consumer market is the one who is stagnate due to the lack of necessity the user has of improving it's local machines..
>>
File: 406.jpg (10 KB, 227x294) Image search: [Google]
406.jpg
10 KB, 227x294
>>53960872
This is retarded because the higher the polygons the more detail you can pack in. The 60,000 poly model was up-scaled from the 6,000 one. If you started working with 60,000 polygons, you could make a much nicer model than the 6,000 one down-scaled, like the 600 and 60 one. Do you honestly believe that the model for the hulk in the MCU would look just as good if down-scaled by a factor of 10?
>>
>>53959312

Modern browser piss me off, even the light weight ones are bloated to shit and most of them have even shittier interfaces.
>>
What's the future for CPUs? Just adding more cores?
>>
>>53964192
Less power and heat emanation.
Bigger clocks and more efficient parallel processing on the same board with multiple processors.

The current objective of most companies is to reduce heat and power usage and then work on efficiency.
>>
>>53964158
Browsers are necessarily bloated because the Internet itself is bloated. Web 2.0 brought so many standards that browsers have to support no matter how minimal they try to be
>>
File: no.jpg (43 KB, 595x235) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
43 KB, 595x235
>>53963049
>actors
Targets you mean >:)
>>
>>53959005
The progression is now about efficiency, rather than raw power.

Desktops haven't gotten any better because they have unlimited electricity to work with.

Phones from 2016 are a lot better than phones from 2013.
>>
>>53963210
>notice the same trend
>haven't spent a large amount of money on hardware since 2011
>don't understand why people keep pushin their money to the silicon jew
>comfy as fug family
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.