[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vivaldi new browser with tilling made by Opera
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: [email protected] (12 KB, 620x98) Image search: [Google]
logo@2x.png
12 KB, 620x98
What do you think of this new browser ?
It is targeting power user with tilling, command prompt and a lot of customization

https://vivaldi.com/
>>
Are you doing it for free or do they pay you?
>>
FUCK OFF
>>
>>53955477
It would be great if it was open source and didn't run like shit.
>>
It's for free douchbags.

I am currently using uzbl from suckless but wanted to give this one a shot as it doesn't seems to bad.

Can you tell the same faggots, or are you to afraid to leave your chrome
>>
>>53955591
Yeah it is kind of sluggish from time to time. But I hope it will improve as it's still in beta.

It's based on chromium but i will be interested to see their ui code based on react
>>
i am guessing that after couple of months people of /g will ask "why don't you use vivaldi?"
>>
This is ımproved version of opera 12 .They even brought back the F2 keybind.
>>
>>53955477
Would be pretty nice, but as some anons pointed out - runs like shit.
Also chrome extensions support is spotty.
I'll try it again when it runs better.
>>
>>53955706
Not in beta anymore.
>>53956073
Spotty is overstatement.
>>
>>53956287
activeTab permission didn't work for me, and extensions I wrote for Chromium didn't work.
>>
It's so fucking slow. Opening a new tab, looking at your History, scrolling... fuck.

The customization is nice, but it barely integrates with Windows, like using the Windows titlebar colors.

In short, it looks and works like the shit I always wanted to have.

And the most important thing to me, is that I can't sync my data to a mobile browser.
>>
>>53956315
>>53956287
My bad, meant understatement. It's fucked.
>>
File: vivaldi.png (528 KB, 1360x738) Image search: [Google]
vivaldi.png
528 KB, 1360x738
My main browser, I love it
>>
>tiling
lol
>shoving more useless and unnecessary functionality into one of the already most bloated class of software (b-b-but its for "power users" aka dumb fucks who'll fall for anything that claims its for "power users")
kek
>>
Why does so much people says it's slow? Do you all have toasters?
>>
>>53958161
it's node.js garbage. even with i5/8gb/ssd there are times when its noticeable it is has micro shutters or outright hangs.
>>
>>53958291
>node.js
Someone explain to me what it is and why is it not some meme cancer?
>>
>>53958462
node.js is a system for running server-side javascript

javascript started out as a purely client-side language interpreted and handled complete by web browsers and their JS engines for handling parts of a website/web-app that run on the target computer, rather than the server. Of course since html5 it is so closely merged with other web design tools and methodologies that its just another extension of HTML/CSS aka "the code your IDE/WYSIWYG/etc puts out"

node.js changed all this years ago by implementing server-side javascripot. Essentially making js usable like ruby or python (still interpreted!) in a server context, by bridging the gaps between interpreted js software and useful OS/hardware-level shit, and letting this run on a PC as a background service, daemon, etc. handling incoming connections.

It's nice because everyone and their grandmother knows at least a little JS and the internet is fucking packed with documentation and libraries. It sucks because js sucks (and is interpreted, a horrible strain on any to-be performance server application)
>>
>>53955477
Every single version they release is slow as fuck.
Even using the actual Opera browser is a better idea.
>>
>>53958161
Open a bunch of new tabs. Close the new tabs one by one.

Open a new tab, click on History, then go back, then click on History again.

Open https://vivaldi.com , scroll through it while it loads. Then scroll through it after it loads.

Try all these things using other browser.
>>
>>53955477
>the vivaldi meme
it's only chromium with a sluggish UI
>>
I can't bring myself to use vivaldi. the devs say they removed all the spyware from chrome and then made a custom ui. the issue is this seems like the sort of thing you would open source so we could see if the spyware was removed, but the software is a chromium reskin that is closed sources.
>>
>>53955477
To the people saying:
>it's based on Chromium
It's not. It's way worse than that. It's a fucking web app running ON TOP of Chromium. That's why it runs like shit.
>>
>>53958161
I have a 4790K and a GTX 780 and it still runs like complete shit. Even worse than Firefox, which is itself a complete piece of trash.
>>
>>53955477
Is it FOSS?
>>
vivaldi sucks dick oprea is better
>>
I hate that the flash version it comes bundled with is always outdated and there's no way to manually update it.
>>
>tfw nobody will write a Qt5 Webkit-based browser
>tfw even if they did, Qt5's "webviews" are actually just Chromium instances
>tfw cross platform webkit web browsers have to be written in GTK
>tfw the only real non-GTK alternative to Chrome based shit on Windows and Linux is modern is Firefox, which uses a janky non native XUL UI
>>
>>53960875
http://otter-browser.org/
>>
>>53960911
I'd try it but I have nothing but animosity and contempt towards otters. Stupid name and stupid looking ugly animals.
Fuck them and fuck that screenshotless browser.
>>
>>53961492
Dude otters are fucking awesome
>>
>>53955591
https://vivaldi.com/source/

>>53955706
It's only sluggish if you have a shit PC. Runs like shit on my tablet - amazing on my laptop and desktop.

>>53956287
I run all of my extensions just fine. Da fuq are you niggers using?

>>53960403
Audit it using the link above.

>>53961492
>hating otters
>>
>no source
botnet Botnet BOTnet BOTNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>53955477
I uninstalled it after I saw your shilling
>>
>>53955477
>>53955653
>>53955706
First day here, Pareesh?
>>
>>53961572
My PC is fine and the browser still runs like shit, you must have flash based storage. Chrome shit is a cache whore, so that would explain it, but it's also not an excuse for it to run like potato on an HDD. I'll just set some flags and tell that cache slut to go to hell
>>
>>53962146
>2016
>not having the OS installed onto a SSD

SSDs are dirt cheap bro.
>>
>>53959118
That sounds absolutely horrible performance-wise. Is it chock-full of callbacks like most of js is?
And also you're apparently supposed to use the embedded node.js web server in production? What the fug?
>>
>>53955877
Nah, at least 6 months
It's still missing a lot of stuff
>>
I would love to love vivaldi, but I cant really get over that weird UI that feels at home at exactly ZERO platforms. that said, it still looks better than firefox, but what I just flushed down the toilet 10 minutes ago looked better than firefox, so there's that.

Performance wise, I dont have any issues with it, besides the general issue that windows cant work with all the fucking RAM it has. 30% of my 8GB used, and the fucker still "swaps" (or whatever that is called on windows). Havent tried it on my linux machine.
>>
>reskin Chrome
>name it Vivaldi

no thanks
>>
File: 1457268389470.jpg (105 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1457268389470.jpg
105 KB, 720x438
>>53955477
>webapp on top of chromium
>>
>>53955477
OP is a faggot
>>
>>53960545
>web app
Holy shit why? Who ever approved of that shit?
>>
>>53964426
>30% of my 8GB used, and the fucker still "swaps" (or whatever that is called on windows).
It's a known bug related to speed dial. You have to go to your user profile, find topsite file and erase it so a new, non bugged one is generated).
>>
>>53958161
Shitty js GUI and caches to disk.
>>
>>53961769
>no source

lolwat?
https://vivaldi.com/source/
>>
>>53958400
that's a nice animated pepe
>>
Is it foss?

Lightweight amd without memory leaks? Highly customisable?
>>
>>53955477
>what is viral marketing
>>
File: vivaldi.png (1 MB, 1024x688) Image search: [Google]
vivaldi.png
1 MB, 1024x688
>>53969316
Lightweight is a no, it's very laggy in my computer.
For customisable, yes. But maybe not as customisable as firefox.
>>
>>53964876
>why
Because it's CURRENT YEAR
>>
>>53969494
>maybe
If you don't know what you're talking about then you should just keep shut.
>>
>>53955477
tab stacking makes it very tempting but im too lazy to change
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.