[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >not paying for all your everyday purchases with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: pmtls.png (40 KB, 412x995) Image search: [Google]
pmtls.png
40 KB, 412x995
>2016
>not paying for all your everyday purchases with Apple Pay or Android Pay
I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
debit card: you get money
credit card: you lose money
>>
>>53951594
you're stupid
your thread is stupid
that picture is sutpid

kill yourself you retarded shitposter
>>
>>53951613
>debit card: if you don't notice a fraudulent charge within 48 hours of it being made, you could be liable for up to $500 of it under federal law
>credit cards: liability capped at $50 across all fraud under the law and practically consumers always win disputes, free benefits, free cashback, and no extra charges (e.g. loss of money) if you pay the bill in full every month
>>
>>53951613
This, why the fuck is credit cards at the top? That shit should be at the bottom. Fuck credit cards, I had to pay over $100 in interest alone last year.
>>
>>53951641
>>debit card: if you don't notice a fraudulent charge within 48 hours of it being made, you could be liable for up to $500 of it under federal law
>not having text alerts
>>
>>53951648
>blaming credit cards for being evil when you carried a balance and had to pay interest
That's stupid. If you pay your bill in full each month you pay no interest.

I make hundreds of dollars off my credit cards each year between cashback and benefits.

>last may
>buy Xbox one
>brother spills beer on the controller and the X button starts sticking
>file accidental damage claim (free on all my purchases, up to $1,000 per item)
>they refund the $430 purchase price of the xbox, despite only the controller being broken (which I told them), keep the item

>buy new dashcam ($220)
>microSD slot is spring loaded, included 32GB card shoots out when I go to remove it
>try to look for it, but step on it and it cracks, breaking the microSD card
>accidental damage claim, tell them the 32GB included SD card (worth approx $20 if purchased separately) is broken
>$220 statement credit, keep the item

>buy Asus RT-AC66U router in December of 2013
>about three weeks ago the ethernet ports start working intermittently
>two year warranty included is expired, but my credit card gives me an extra year on the warranty
>file extended warranty claim
>$149.99 (original purchase price) statement credit.
>>
>>53951648
You're supposed to pay off credit cards.
>>
>>53951717
>tormorrow
>go to store
>steal something
You're effectively doing the same. Shame on you.
>>
>>53951743
Those two aren't even near equivalent. In the case of the dashcam, I noted that the only damaged part was a $20 32GB microSD card, and in the case of the Xbox, I asked for $65 for a new controller ($60 retail price, plus local tax).

And both the extended warranty and the accidental damage benefits are published benefits of the card. I honestly disclosed the circumstances in all three cases.

For both accidental damage claims I called up and asked me if they wanted me to ship the claimed item back (in terms they reserve the right to) and they said, no, keep it, or if I want, dispose of it.
>>
>>53951717
Nigga most of the stuff you mentioned is straight up fraud which is a felony. I'd stop doing all that shit if I were you before it all backfires.
>>
>>53951641
>cash: never have to worry about fraud

>>53951717
>buy something
>break it because anon is a clumsy fuck
>anon is also american and thinks that he is entitled to free shit if he breaks something
wew lad
>>
>>53951804
None of it is fraud, see >>53951787

1) The controller included in the Xbox was honestly subject to accidental damage.
2) The dashcam's included microSD card was honestly subject to accidental damage.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/purchase-protection.html
>When you charge a covered purchase on your Card account, Purchase Protection can help protect your purchase for up to 90 days from the date of purchase if it is stolen or accidentally damaged.

3) The Asus RT-AC66U router I purchased honestly did fail outside the manufacturer's two year warranty, but within the third year of extended warranty offered by my card issuer.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html
>Extended Warranty can provide up to one extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card.

None of this is fraud because
1) The accidentally damaged items were accidentally damaged within 90 days, within the coverage limits. The extended warranty item was within the extended warranty period, within coverage limits.
2) I filed the claims honestly and truthfully to my card issuer, providing the item receipt, describing the circumstances and extent of the damage/failure.
3) My card issuer processed the claims according to their policies.
>>
File: 1460219380482.png (34 KB, 412x995) Image search: [Google]
1460219380482.png
34 KB, 412x995
Fixed.
>>
File: 1458611517878.gif (156 KB, 288x229) Image search: [Google]
1458611517878.gif
156 KB, 288x229
>>53951870
bruh
>>
>>53951831
I'm not entitled to free shit, I'm entitled to be made whole under the benefits my card issuer offered.. I would have been content with reparation that either
A) required me to send the claimed item back
B) Was partial to the purchase to the extent that it replaced the damage (e.g. only refund $65 to get a new xbox controller or $20 to buy a new microSD card for the dashcam)

But my credit card company is awesome and even knowing this just refunded the purchases and specifically instructed me to keep them.

As far as being clumsy, an item failing outside of warranty when not dropped or damaged is not my fault (it's a build quality issue). The dropping of the microSD card, yeah, everybody makes mistakes. The xbox was my brother who did it.
>>
>>53951594
bitcoins are better than all that shit
youre the one thats behind grandpa
>>
>>53951899
The blockchain is a mess, transactions are taking days to verify now. It's not scalable at all and it's not real time.
>>
>>53951852
ok dude whatever you say, just remember it's like up to 5 years in prison for fraud.
>>
>>53951944
It is, which is why I don't lie when making accidental damage and extended warranty claims to my credit card companies.
>>
Wait, cash is higher than debit, but lower than credit cards?
>>
File: 1431368736412.png (319 KB, 850x683) Image search: [Google]
1431368736412.png
319 KB, 850x683
>>53951594
>live in refugeermany
>grocery store get new terminals with nfc
>nobody except credit card companies have nfc cards
>see mpass mobilepayment
>mfw it's literally just a credit card in stickerform for your phone case
>>
>>53951831
Niggers will steal your cash
>>
>>53952175
They did the sticker meme for a while in the US, but then people were scared of fraud. Seemingly people are getting over their NFC fears with smartphones.
>>
>don't carry a credit/debit card or cash
>only use Android pay
>phone runs out of battery
>cannot pay
>>
Could someone explain to me what the point of [Apple, Android] Pay is? Cards are not large and burdensome to carry, you have your wallet with you anyway. It's minimally faster, if it's faster at all, than taking out a card and swiping it through a slot ('murica) it sticking it in a slot and entering a PIN (yurop). And phones break, get lost, and get stolen a lot more than your wallet and its cards to.

Contactless payment seems very much like a solution in search of a problem.
>>
>>53952478
People in Clapistan can't live for one minute without checking their Facebook feed, so they always have their phone out in line, ready to pay.
>>
>credit cards

good goy
>>
>>53951594
Apple pay and Android pay are visa or mastercard (including all the visa/mastercard debit cards) so OP is a fucking idiot and his own graphic confirms it
>>
>>53952376
>don't carry a credit/debit card or cash
>go on a road trip
>only use Android Pay/Apple Pay
>phone gets stolen because you keep pulling it out of your pocket and waving it around
>cannot pay
>stuck hundreds of miles away from home
>goes homeless
>thanks apple
>sucks dick to buy the next iphone
>>
>>53951648
Then pay your credit card bills every month, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>53953352
>sucks dick to buy next iphone
pretty sure if someone can afford an iphone they can afford insurance.
>>
>>53953637
Most people can't you richfag. They buy something and pay it off slowly each month.
>>
>>53953352
>don't carry a phone
>go on a road trip
>only use credit card/cash
>wallet gets stolen because you keep pulling it out of your pocket and waving it around
>cannot pay
>goes homeless
>thanks Mastercard
>sucks dick to apply for Amex
>>
>>53953796
>don't carry a phone
>go on a road trip
>only use credit card/cash
>wallet gets stolen because you keep pulling it out of your pocket and waving it around
>cannot pay
>goes homeless
>thanks Mastercard
>sucks dick to get money
>phone Mastercard
>get new card
>>
>>53952478
You carry wallet around because you have to. I rarely even carry my cards when I go out nowadays.

Also mobile nfc payments are safer than credit cards. Yes phones get stolen and lost but you can set the payment apps to not work when the phone is locked. That's why credit card companies are pushing them so hard because they have to pocket losses for lost cards.

>>53953759
Maybe they shouldn't buy shit they can't afford.
>>
>>53951641
>you can be liable under federal law
Whups, good thing I don't live in the USA then.
>>
>>53953759
If you can't pay it off in full at the end of the month, you can't afford to buy it. Doing what you do is just needlessly paying more for things at 19.99% interest. You aren't rich because you keep yourself poor by taking on debt to consume.
>>
I can't wait till I try to pay with Samsung Pay at some small grocery store and tap the the phone against the magnetic strip reader and the cashier looks at me like I just hacked their system and calls the manager under the assumption that I just robbed them.
>>
Anyone here have a Palladium Visa or a Black Amex?

Seems like it would be p-cool to pay for your latte with one of those.
>>
>>53951717
Are you a nigger by any chance? Because the shit you do is no better than being on welfare
>>
>>53951641
>>debit card: if you don't notice a fraudulent charge within 48 hours of it being made, you could be liable for up to $500 of it under federal law
Maybe in your retarded country. Debit cards function almost identically to credit cards in New Zealand.

A shame we don't have apple pay/android pay here yet though, we have NFC cards and terminals but the banks haven't been in talks with google/apple yet.
>>
>>53955524
Palladium used to be open to anyone willing to pay the ~$700 annual fee, but that's done now and you need to have a crazy amount of money with JPMorgan to get it.

Black Amex (Centurion Card) is invite only based on spending $250K/yr or more with a $5,000 initiation fee and $2,500 annual fee.

>>53955548
>using a benefit that my credit card company offers is being a thief
Yeah, no. If they didn't see the offer as valid they would not offer the benefits. They also offered full refunds on the products when I requested partial ones to cover the damaged components only.
>>
>>53955739
>$2,500
Christ that's a new top tier PC every year in fees.

Is it worth it?
>>
>>53955831
If you have that much spend and depending on what you spend on, yes. It insta-grabs you elite status on Delta Airlines, Avis car Presidents and Hertz Platinum, and access to many airport lounges, making it good for travelers. They'll also arrange ground transportation, baggage porters, and concierges to greet you at international destinations (at a fee), etc.

Most of the benefits pertain to travel and if you travel enough (and in enough style) it can be worth it. Otherwise it's a status symbol.
>>
>>53955888
But if you travel enough to make those benefits worth it don't you usually already have those benefits? Also any hotel that would be in your price range could offer those concierge services for a price just as easily.
>>
>>53955685
You don't need google/apple for mobile nfc payments. We just released our own mobile payment app.
>>
>>53955928
It's the fact that Amex wraps it all in a neat package with a card with credit limits so high people have purchased fucking private jets on it and offers it end-to-end worldwide with many partners. Platinum requires 75,000 miles or 100 segments on Delta; you could easily travel 40 weeks a year on Delta alone and not get it if you were flying direct flights. (I'm united platinum myself, did 115 qualifying segments last year, a handful of non-united flights - I missed United 1K status by 5 qualifying segments but I was burned out by mid-december on travel).

And you get a personal rep to call at any time to help you use/explain/understand your benefits or research restaurants, hotels, gifts, etc.
>>
File: moneytier.png (30 KB, 532x794) Image search: [Google]
moneytier.png
30 KB, 532x794
>>
>>53955939
This, I would have expected banks to require Samsung's/Apple's jew botnet tech to keep their authentication data safe, but my bank doesn't seem to care that I run a weird Thai rom off xda.

I guess the authentication just happens through their servers or something. So:

>get whatever it is the terminal emits
>log into bank server
>give bank server the payment thing
>bank server signs it like your card would
>give that shit to the terminal

They don't talk about an internet requirement anywhere in the app/app's description tough. Could they actually be storing the same shit that is normally sealed away inside a chip on my phone?

I guess they could actually do that, it's not like mobile malware is that big AFAIK, so I guess the benefits outweigh any risk.
>>
File: E1455408892857.jpg (128 KB, 882x960) Image search: [Google]
E1455408892857.jpg
128 KB, 882x960
>Using credit cards

>yes goy. All this money is free for you to use.
>>
>be me
>live in the netherlands
>need to pay something
>grab phone
>hold it near the PIN device
>don't even have to unlock it
>payment done
>it literally was this easy

my god you americunts are hilarious
>>
>>53951648
>spending money you can't pay back
retards gonna be retarded
>>
>>53951594
>paying for anything
>not just stealing it
>>
>>53956267
And you didn't even have to enter anything? So anyone could steal your phone and go buy a TV with it?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.