[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hackathon/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: hack-660x440.jpg (76 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
hack-660x440.jpg
76 KB, 660x440
>How many have you done
>What did you make
>are you gonna do more
>did you show those scrubs your power level?
>>
Seems like it's better suited to social networking than getting work done
>>
>too nervous to go outside cause I spend too much time shitposting to git gud at programming
>afraid that if I ask any questions people will make fun of me and subsequently ignore me for being a dumbass
>because of this, I'd rather escape into shitposting than learn about computers
In the end, I'm just an ideas guy.
>>
i went to one like two years ago
it was fine. my group were finalists, but i really don't like how toxic the culture around them is.
i'm going to one tomorrow that's only 8 hours and is an educational hackathon so i'm hoping it'll be free from all of that.
>>
>>53932987
pls consider suicide
>>
What exactly do you do at hackathons?
>>
>>53933253
"Write up" an idea you have "on the spot". They're pretty easy to cheat usually. If you have something complex you basically win. But since everyone does that, it quickly becomes a dick measuring contest. So be prepared to meet people and get free github stickers.
>>
>>53932477
4 within my enterprise (10k+ employees, so it happens often). won all of them (lol), couple of concert tickets, couple of movies premieres tickets (red carpet entry, etc...)
>>
>>53933106
>implying I'm not already
I'm always one step ahead, Anon.

I think I'll finish my app before I do it though. Would you guys be interested in an application that helps you keep track of movies you've seen?
>>
>>53932477
>How many have you done
Just one so far
>What did you make
We made a program that uses brain waves read from an EEG to dynamically generate music in real time.
>are you gonna do more
Definitely. It was a lot of fun, and it even led me to my current job.
>did you show those scrubs your power level?
No, but in a good way. Everyone thought our power level was much higher. We made it to the finals and had to present in front of everyone, and of course, the dang thing wasn't working, but we banged out a quick bit of code to make it sound like it was.

Everyone was impressed, and we just rolled with it.
>>
>>53933394
>but we banged out a quick bit of code to make it sound like it was
So you cheated?
>>
>>53933430
you clearly never been to an hackathon
>>
>>53933253
It depends on the kind of hackathon. Some just want an idea, like what >>53933311 is saying, but others expect you to actually build something.

It's a lot of fun if you get a team you like, but I imagine it's miserable if you get a shitty team.

My team and I met at a bar beforehand, like something you'd see in a DnD campaign. Then we got totally trashed and started brainstorming.

>>53933430
No, we knew we weren't going to win either way. It was an app-making hackathon, so there wasn't a chance in hell we'd win.

But I don't think I was clear. The basic functionality was working when we demoed for the judges, but when we were getting ready to present, I think we fucked something up, and it stopped working.

It was either that or embarrass the shit out of ourselves in front of hundreds of people in the audience and whoever else was watching the livestream.
>>
>>53933340
No because imdb does it better than anything you could come up with.
>>
File: 1459128583183.jpg (133 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
1459128583183.jpg
133 KB, 670x503
>>53933549
Oh right. Huh. What kind of stuff do people make ay hackathons anyway? Surely stuff like >>53933394 isn't the majority, right?
>>
>>53933340
Already exists. Make an app that pulls data from a randomly selected api and then creates colorful/psychedelic pictures based on the data
>>
>spend your free time coming up with ideas for some other cunt

lmao. the exploitation of autists.
>>
>>53933581
It depends. Sometimes there's a theme. Sometimes, it's just do whatever you want.

Often, if there's no theme, people just make stupid apps that either have no marketability or have already been done by others.

At some hackathons, the hosts will provide gear or tools for the competitors to use, like VR headsets, access to expensive APIs that their company isn't sure what to do with, or even databases of information.
>>
>>53932477
My university hosted their first one last year (Michigan State's is overshadowed by MHacks since it's a very popular hackathon). It was a lot of fun but apparently second place ripped code from a previous project/worked on the project before the actual hackathon and got disqualified kek
>>
>>53933826
Also I was not prepared for the number of projects that were downright retarded

Some examples: An app where you press a button and it sends a random text message to yourself with an insult.

One of the thousands of generic projects built on Ruby on Rails/Django/mongo/Node.js/Whatever giant stack of fucking libraries to "change the world"
>>
>>53933482
this
>>
Won on one, sabotaged one (but fuck, that was epic shit), was disqualified from one (you are not allowed to keep everything in memory instead of the database... whine whine...) and after that organized for students a couple.

Love working with students, specially on math colleges. Those guys have a different, more scientific approach. I can literally teach them any syntax/framework within hours and they will nail working proofs of concept within another few hours.
>>
won my unis hackathon, made a network of markov chain daemons that provided false queries to google along with a good one so that google didnt know what i was really searching for.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.