[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking into learning software development. I am considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: !CID__xZY8k22X1v_.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
!CID__xZY8k22X1v_.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
Looking into learning software development.
I am considering android app development so I can get bullied by /g/.
unsure whether to use oracle jdk or openjdk.
Which is gud?
>>
>>53926846
just use openjdk, this doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of learning.
>>
>>53926846
>>53926870

Is there a difference? I mean, would the be separate languages to use? I just started learning Java and it's hard as shit so I want to make sure I pick the "right" one.
>>
>>53926870
Honestly this desu sampai, the only problem I've had with open jdk is the little banner that pops up every fucking time I open android studio.

I read somewhere that newer versions of android would be built on open-jdk, but obviously don't take my word on that.
>>
>>53926887
They are just different compilers for the same language. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>53926887
It is under the hood type stuff, but nothing that you ever have to be concerned about, especially right now. If this is your first attempt at learning programming I highly recommend Python 3 over Java because it will get you up and running faster. The important material is the concepts at the beginning, not the performance of the code you are writing (it will all be useless in the beginning anyway).
>>
>>53926968
but of course if you are set on Android Python isn't going to help you.
>>
>>53926968
This, but move to java for object orientation because oo-python is a mess.
>>
>>53926942
>I read somewhere that newer versions of android would be built on open-jdk, but obviously don't take my word on that.
That is why I asked, I read that Google are going to replace parts of android with openjdk.
>>53926870
>>53926942
>>53926944
Thanks, openjdk it is.
>>53926968
I was going to ask, will it actually help that much learning python since java is an OOP language?
>>
>>53926992
>>53927022
Oh ok, thank you kind anons.
I have read good things about O'Reileys Head First Java, would you agree on this for someone new to programming?
I have only really dicked around in modifying arduino code and a little bit of python on raspberry pi
>>
Is there a better resource for learning Java in an interactive way? Code Academy is decent, but I'm not actually learning how the core mechanics work, they're just showing me how to do stuff.
>>
>>53927030
for real newbs python is nice because you can jump right in and understand everything you learn from the very beginning, with java you either have to learn a bunch up front or just treat a lot of code as magic to get programming.
python is also a hell of a lot verbose and not having to compile before running shortens the dev cycle so people tend to be less afraid of just hacking away and running their code to see what happens.

>>53927077
I think O'Reiley stuff is generally good but I don't have any experience with that book, when I was learning the lecturer could barely speak the language she was teaching in so I learnt most of my stuff from "Absolute Java" which wasn't terrible.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.