[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who are the top 5 greatest programmers of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: Dennis_Ritchie.jpg (40 KB, 220x282) Image search: [Google]
Dennis_Ritchie.jpg
40 KB, 220x282
Who are the top 5 greatest programmers of all time?
>>
>>53926791
https://devmanual.gentoo.org/appendices/contributors/
>>
>>53926791
These guys are somewhere at the top of the list
Linux Torvalds
Dennis Ritchie
Matt Dillon
>>
Do you mean the top 5 autists??
>>
Not RMS that's for sure
>>
Knuth
Ritchie
Thompson
Gosling
Stroustrop

Honourable mention:

Torvalds, Kernighan, van Rossum
>>
Stephen Hawking
>>
>>53926791
Bill Gates :^)
>>
>>53928348
He was a very good programmer, just didn't stick to programming.
>>
>>53928319
Backus?
>>
No mention of John McCarthy?

The fuck is wrong with you kids?
>>
File: 1456974192860.png (46 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1456974192860.png
46 KB, 350x350
>>53928348
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>53928363

Not a bad argument for him, but if we're going on the strength of 'pioneering', guys like Berners-Lee or Eich or the finnish guy who developed MySQL eek in there simply because of the huge relevance.

Knuth, Ritchie, Thompson, Gosling, Stroustrop et al actually programmed and smashed the keyboard into eternity.

It's tough to say really, I think the question of "best programmers" really hinges on how much clout you give the modern web age, and future development.

If shit like JSON continues to inherit the earth we're going to value the web framework guys way more than the fundamental guys in a decade's time.
>>
>>53928360

He was an exceptional programmer, whose talent was only overshadowed by his business acumen.

Anyone who doesn't concede that Gates was one of the bona fide original wizards doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
File: bill-gates.jpg (30 KB, 770x476) Image search: [Google]
bill-gates.jpg
30 KB, 770x476
steve jobs
>>
>>53928467
0.1 cents deposited in your Microsoft Account. Thanks, Pajeet.
>>
>>53928541

Put a pair of scissors up your ass and go fall down the stairs, you're a cancer that is killing this board.
>>
>>53926791
1. Steve Jobs
2. Elon Musk
3. Justin Timberlake (from The Social Network)
4. 4chan
5. The clockbomb kid
>>
That loony fella who creates templeOS from scratch and continues to maintain it.If he wasn't a mentally ill christfag he would have achieved far more recognition.Respects and pity to that guy though
>>
Steve Jobs
Steve Ballmer
Karlie Kloss
Zoe Quinn
Achmed
>>
Why no RMS in the lists senpais?
>>
>>53928348
memes aside Bill Gates was a GOAT programmer
He made an algorithm sophomore year at Harvard that was so efficient its record wasn't broken for 35 years. It was later published by one his his professors.
>>
>>53926791
Ritchie
Knuth
McCarthy
Sussman
This guy >>53925598
>>
Steve Jobs
Tim Cook
Mark Zuckerberg
Karlie Kloss
Bill Gates (only here because you asked for 5, he's not really in the same league as the other 4)
>>
>>53928627
because his only contribution is to the journal of dead foot skin eating
>>
>>53928716
These are great leaders, not programmers.
>Steve Jobs
What program did he wrote?
>Tim Cook
Some examples of his software work?
>Mark Zuckerberg
PHP clown?
>Karlie Kloss
wtf?
>Bill Gates
Known for not-knowing what he was doing. At least he actually wrote some programs (like the BASIC interpreter and such) before he became a leader.
>>
>>53927671
>Linux Torvalds

is this bait
>>
Newt Gingrich
>>
>>53928803
>>Steve Jobs
>What program did he wrote?
Uhhh how about all of mac and iPhone?

>>Tim Cook
>Some examples of his software work?
He's carrying on the legacy of Steve Jobs

>>Mark Zuckerberg
>PHP clown?
He made facebook.... also he doesn't use drugs so don't call him a ``PCP clown''

>>Karlie Kloss
>wtf?
She's pioneering a movement towards more gender equality in tech. This is the biggest issue in tech right now, how can you now know who she is? Or are you against her???

>>Bill Gates
>Known for not-knowing what he was doing. At least he actually wrote some programs (like the BASIC interpreter and such) before he became a leader.
not knowing what he's doing? Then how did he make Windows? Hmmm?

Once again /g/ shows how little it knows.
>>
that guy that does the gps stuff
>>
>>53928825

Torvalds is actually pretty impressive considering the Linux body of work:

Before the rise of his line Greg KH there was pretty widespread and legitimate concern that if Linus was got by a bus or something the whole Linux apparatus would come crashing down like a house of cards.

In the last decade he's divested himself of most of the core stuff and there is apparently a succession plan of sorts, but what would happen to a huge Linux ecosystem, representing literally billions of dollars of transactions, IP, and infrastructure, should anything happen to Linus Torvalds.

Top five might be a little much, but you could make a solid argument for it. He's top ten for certain.
>>
>>53928912
He said Linux Torvalds

His name is fucking Linus
>>
>>53928912

You'll have to pardon me for that post, not my finest sentence structure - I'm a little drunk.

My point still stands: It's easy to take for granted how stable and networked the Linux ecosystem is now. It wasn't always the case.
>>
>>53928933

Ha, oh man, just caught that now. Well, perhaps it was bait.
>>
>>53928390
The answer is probably mccarthy and djikstra and von neumann and all the other dead genius mathematicians who created computer science.

but /g/ only cares about the people who made the shit they directly use.
>>
>>53928952
Name aside, I'd put in him a top5 with Gates
>>
>>53925598
>using scanf
what a nugget
>>
>>53928954

Levels of abstraction have to start somewhere:

If you're going to go with architectural pioneers, where does it end?

Where do you rank Von Neumann and Dijkstra when guys like Arthur Pollen put decades into developing the initial concepts?

Easier to remove the hardware concepts and focus on software, "modern" programming, as it were.
>>
>>53929015
but then there's no point in ranking them in the first place
>>
>>53928552
Kek, shilling and told the other to kill himself. All Op ask is the top 5 programmers, not "someone that could be best programmer if its business don't illuminate his programming skill"

>Pajeet
Yes your dumbfuck brain show that you too much eating poo in loo curry...
>>
>>53928583
>"FUCK OFF YOU CIA NIGGER!“
I'm really agree if he nominated as the best programmer on 4chan.
>>
>>53928319
Dijkstra?
>>
>>53928628
>Bill Gates was a GOAT programmer
I thought he programmed DONKEY
>>
>>53928854
>Being leader do every work in the company

Are you serious m8? Maybe you should get work and leave your basement for once a time.

All he put is idea, whether he doing the code we won't know.
>>
>>53928854
this is the shittiest, most retarded, weakest bait I've seen in around six years browsing any board in this place.
>>
>>53928334
This, anyone who says otherwise is a fucking retard. Hawking is ny far the GOAT
>>
File: og.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1590) Image search: [Google]
og.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1590
>>
>>53928249
Bait
>>
>>53929146
It still worked though.
>>
>>53926791
# 1 Lennart Poettering
# 2 RMS
# 3 Ryan Dahl
# 4 Terry Davis
# 5 Urban Müller
>>
>>53929146
Nah I like it
>>
>>53928854
Karlie Kloss might not be the best programmer, but she's the best woman in tech! ~~
>>
>>53929118
>>53929146
>being baited this hard

>>53929458
This guy gets it.
>>
File: images-26.jpg (34 KB, 360x408) Image search: [Google]
images-26.jpg
34 KB, 360x408
This guy
>>
>>53926791
>Yo
>Fucking
>Phat
>Moma
>Fagit
>>
>>53928581
Finally, a serious post.
>>
>>53926791
That guy who write qmail, also fabrice Ballard (sp?)
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.