[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the coolest UMPC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 1459874661954.jpg (64 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1459874661954.jpg
64 KB, 800x600
What's the coolest UMPC?
>>
>>53921897
Been trying to find a decent netbook / umpc thats 10 inches or under for a while now that doesn't cost a fortune. Haven't really found anything though, even on shit like Aliexpress there is like 3 options that are all shit or listed improperly. Unfortunately the market is all for shitty tablets now that have shitty multitasking and flimsy ass keyboards that snap on and off :/
>>
>>53923017
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8550-win-10-os-game-console#/

this MIGHT turn out alright

I'd just like a super premium slide to unlock UMPC made of like aluminium
>>
The Zenfone 2, sorta.

You can run windows 7/10 inside a virtual machine since it has an x86 SoC.

I recommend you get the $300 4GB RAM/64GB ROM+ micorsd variant if you want to run windows 7/10 on it.
>>
>>53923069
>Gamepad controls.

Why the fuck would anyone want to game on a 5.5inch screen, I wish Acer still made this shit with have decent specs.
>>
>>53923080
hmm, will powerVR graphics work fine?
>>
>>53923115
I have the one on the right and man, I wish I could find some use for it. The 8gb SSD is just... damn.
>>
They are all shit.
>>
>>53923017
>shitty tablets now that have shitty multitasking and flimsy

Well, more powerful than umpcs ever were, and they're cheap as dirt.

>>53923069
It sucks and it's already overpriced if it ever comes out. Stop shilling it.

>>53923080
Thats gonna be terribly slow. But pretty cool.
>>
>>53923115
I agree, though the joystick will probably be a very good way to move the cursor and playing some games on emulators might be fun
>>
>>53923139
Just sleep with it on your lap, looks comfy as fuck desu desu.
>>
>>53923155
I'm shilling it because it seems like the only ''modern'' UMPC

it's nothing like I want though
>>
>>53923155
Still shit tier for actually doing anything with though. Doesn't matter how good the specs are if the rest is total ass.
>>
>>53923167
It is. If I could replace it with more decent parts and keep it from getting too hot it'd be perfect.
>>
>>53923259
The keyboard cases are a lot better than thumb keyboards for typing, and the tablet form does make a lot of sense for portable use. But yeah, the stands and such for the keyboard cases do such compared to a laptop.

But all in all, things are much better when they were now that we have SoCs that can play youtube and such in a decent manner for like $100.
>>
>>53923131
not sure, the zenfone 2 was never designed to be a umpc so drivers may not work properly. Non-gpu work should be fine though.
>>
>>53923322
Might be able to just max out the ram, clean it out, and put on new thermal paste. Could also put in a new SSD but at that point you're putting enough money into it it might not be worth it with the cpu it has.
>>
>>53923017
I think it was sager that had 10.1" netbooks with i7 CPUs
>>
>>53923392
Not only that. The battery on mine doesn't hold a charge and I seem to recall only one USB port works.

Still I recall installing a distro with openbox on it and shit man, it's still fast enough for a few basic things.

Unlike some other tablet I got as a gift, the Samsung Ativ Tab 3. That shit is locked down, it's one of those UEFI 32 bit ones. I have tried and tried to install a linux distro there and no dice, and Windows is an utterly horrible experience, so it's pretty much useless.
>>
>>53923069
not something i'd recommend for games but seems like a great multimedia/shitposting machine
>>
>>53923530
it's cool if it handles emulators well and maybe CSGO and runescape
>>
>>53923602
CS:GO runs like shit on cheap tablets with that CPU, even with resolution down to 800x600
>>
>>53923635
1.6 would be fine too
>>
File: Projekt X Version 11.png (519 KB, 1356x1343) Image search: [Google]
Projekt X Version 11.png
519 KB, 1356x1343
>>53921897
Doesn't exist yet
>>
>>53923464
Yeah I think Clevo does or did but I'm sure it's expensive as fuck.
>>
>>53923658
6/10

no meme gamepad please

take away the speakers

slide to unlock would be cooler

8GB of RAM
>>
>>53923799
>take away the speakers
I don't always want to wear headphones, and I don't want shitty audio coming from the device.

also the entire point of these is going to be having a mobile PC for running older games natively, so having the controller built in on the back of the keyboard is going to be a solid addition.

Also go make your own dream machine, and when you hit the lottery, help fund mine too, thanks.

What did you mean slide to unlock? the slide lever is just a replacement for the scroll wheel.
>>
>>53923834
Naw the point of these is shit posting and youtube, or word docs / e-mail, if you want games then there are controller things you can get for phones / tablets that would work. But for shit that actually uses a keyboard you need a sturdier hinge or you'll want to commit sudoku.
>>
>>53923834
I mean I like slider designs more than clamshell even if the screen is exposed

my keyboard would replace the clit with a gamepad from like a 3ds, so the keyboard would be usable for games anyway
>>
>>53923115
I daily one of these in shit brown, they're alright and I will continue to use it until I find something nicer, but they feel kind of shoddy and I hate the touchpad.
>>
>>53923869
I mean not the entire gamepad, just the analog stick
>>
I still can't work this out
is the libretto u100 a proper UMPC, or is it bigger than an eeepc and so just an expensive netbook-tier machine?
>>
>>53923115
>Why the fuck would anyone want to game on a 5.5inch screen
It's bigger than that of the system being emulated in many cases.
Emulation of course being the primary justification.
>>
>>53923069
>the positioning of the power button
every time
>>
>>53924149
imagine if that was your sister
>>
anyone have an opinion on what the best eeepc to get is? Some of them have ok specs but have soldered ram and shit which would be a pain in the ass to upgrade.
>>
>>53924417
I'd avoid the 701s anyway, that screen is a massive limitation.
>>
Honestly I just wish that there were chromebooks smaller than 11.6". Seems like there would be some market for them but I guess most people just move to tablets then.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.