[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I torrented a normalfag movie and got an email from my ISP. Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: pirate.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pirate.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
I torrented a normalfag movie and got an email from my ISP. Do VPN's close your account when you do the same thing or do they just not give a fuck? or do they maybe give your data to whoever complains which could be even more problematic?

Also any decent torrent alternatives? I remember people using something called usenet but you had to pay for it.
>>
How long did it take for the email to come in?
>>
Some VPNS keep no logs so they have no way to find out your torrenting. Check out the lists of VPNS that take your privacy seriously on torrentfreak.
>>
VPN don't give a fuck about the letters. No alternative to torrents other than paying. Get a cheap VPN (never a free one) and enjoy. PIA is $40 a year
>>
File: kitty.jpg (75 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
kitty.jpg
75 KB, 600x615
>>53918312
Came in the next day. This is the second time in about a year. It's verizon and the email says next time i'll be forced to watch some video on piracy and after that I'll be punished with 3 days of decreased internet speed.
>>
if you arent using the forced encryption options in your client and using a vpn then you deserve it
>>
>>53918383
Did they shutoff your internet?

1st ISP warning I got on fios they shutdown my internet and a letter saying to stop my shit. The I had to agree to some bullshit in order to bring back the internet. Time Warner is much more lax and nice, they just send you a letter say "you may or may not have torrented..."
>>
been using btguard on Verizon and never an issue op
>>
>>53918650
> you may or may not have torrented...
Well I guess I have not
>>
>>53918383
Kek, seed the video so others can pirate it and learn about the effects of piracy.
>>
>>53918236
>Do VPN's close your account when you do the same thing or do they just not give a fuck? or do they maybe give your data to whoever complains which could be even more problematic?
Depends on the VPN. Free VPNs do not want to deal with going to bat for someone who ain't paying, they can and will either forward the complaint to you, or just give whoever sent the letter whatever information they have on you. Some paid VPNs will do the same, typically the more professional, suit-and-tie providers. (If you want a VPS and not just a VPN account, check for this). Some other paid VPNs, typically the ones that use privacy as a selling point, do go out of their way to not keep logs (and so have nothing to give to anyone who sends a copyright complaint) or even know who you are or which account is responsible for which traffic. You do, at the end of the day, have to trust them to do all this stuff, though.

Read Torrentfreak's VPN roundup.
>>
File: forced_to_watch.jpg (22 KB, 503x327) Image search: [Google]
forced_to_watch.jpg
22 KB, 503x327
>>53918786
Kek

OP has been sent to the ISP's anti-piracy centre for... "re-ducation"
>>
File: pormguy.gif (2 MB, 175x185) Image search: [Google]
pormguy.gif
2 MB, 175x185
>>53918650
na, they just sent me an email.

I torrent all the time but only times I've gotten this emails is for big name hollywood movies that recently came out. I usually just torrent older movies, tv shows, programming tutorials and such shit. This time I got pinched for Terminator Gensis with the dragonlady and last time I downloaded Trainwreck with amy schuer. Both movies sucked ass fwiw.
>>
>>53918887
How do they actually make sure the video gets watched.
>>
>>53918927
Multiple choice questionnaire on the content of the film afterwards
>>
>>53919016
Couldn't you Google the answers?
>>
>>53919047
If you're stupid enough to get caught torrenting then you're probably not smart enough to figure out how to cheat on a test whose existence I just made up
>>
>Torrent on home connection
kekd
>>
File: 1458462042634.jpg (6 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
1458462042634.jpg
6 KB, 229x220
>>53919101
>paying to pirate
>>
File: 1459865353990.gif (476 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1459865353990.gif
476 KB, 500x375
>>53919099
>>
File: Flo (1).jpg (762 KB, 1142x1392) Image search: [Google]
Flo (1).jpg
762 KB, 1142x1392
I have comcast and have never gotten any emails. But I only torrent legal shit mostly. Occasionally a movie here or two or a cracked program but that's it. I even downloaded all of the marvel movies from iron man to ant man and still nothing. No VPN either.
>>
>>53919300
I did the same for years without getting caught. Then one random day I get a call telling me to stop or they'll take legal action or some shit.
>>
Doesn't this only happen on public trackers?
>>
>targeting individuals
>still trying to fight piracy
As if they don't get enough money already.
Fucking cunts.
>>
This is why i like being off contract, if my isp sends me anything i will just straight up leave
>>
>>53919412
Its honestly due to quality and availability of content. If content is good ill buy it, if its unlicensed or low tier ill torrent it. If the price is ridiculous or the content is rare physical ill torrent it.
>>
>>53919126

>paying to pirate

eh no. I think you misunderstand.
>>
File: cade 2.jpg (28 KB, 379x429) Image search: [Google]
cade 2.jpg
28 KB, 379x429
>>53919360
It does. OP, use private trackers.
>>
>>53918236
I wouldn't know about shutting it off, but the more mainstream something is the more careful you should be pirating it.

The one time I got an email was from torrenting Old World Blues, probably not long after it came out. The guy was named Osama Hussein.
>>
>>53919468
>be in high school, actually start torrenting shit
>friend who pirates comments on how much shit I download
>often torrent vidya, got New Vegas before it actually came out
>kept it up, when I built a new PC I torrented some games I didn't even really play
>now pretty much just torrent anime, some older games nobody gives a fuck about pirating, and very rarely something I have an outright issue buying (fuck you Crysis I've already got Steam you don't need to SecuROM my ass)
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.