[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, this is my first "vim vs emacs" thread and usually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1442325974274.jpg (923 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
1442325974274.jpg
923 KB, 1936x2592
Well, this is my first "vim vs emacs" thread and usually this kind of thread don't end well...

I am a vim user, because my I had to choose an editor and I think I'm halfway through the learning curve.

Since I wanted to be sure I would go with the editor that fits me the most, I tried to use emacs for a week.
However, it feels sort of bloated and archaic.
What am I missing compared with people who like emacs?
>>
>>53913980
>What am I missing compared with people who like emacs?
https://youtu.be/D1sXuHnf_lo
>>
>>53913980
she looks like a fucking grandma now

what the fuck happened?
>>
Both are abandonware from the 70s, I wouldn't worry so much about their differences and use a real text editor instead.
>>
>>53913999
It would have been a nice april fool
>>
>vim vs emacs

Evil mode put an end to the editor war.
>>
>>53914091
>tfw this is what emacs users actually believe

>>53914037
>tfw this is what hipster ‘programmers’ actually believe
>>
>>53914037
>i have no idea what "abandonware" means

Then why post?
>>
>>53914127
What to Vim users believe?

Evil mode took the best thing about Vim - the modal editing capability and almost perfectly emulated it to Emacs. Most, if not all, of the best plugins for Vim have also followed in ports. The only thing that was left behind was the awful vimscript which was the reason Vim never grew beyond being a meme text editor.
>>
I use Spacemacs
>>
>>53913980
I'm vim user cause I did learn code on school computer with only with. And I'm use to use it. I think about try fully moded atom but it's looks so fat.
>>
>>53914548
Why would one even use atom? This is the perfect hipster editor, "sublime text is too popular" tier.
>>
>>53913980
>However, it feels sort of bloated and archaic.
Because it is.

Emacs is pretty much the definition of feature creep.
It can do fucking anything really.
It's a shell, it's a mail client, it's a browser, it has it's own package manager.

If you read anything about how RMS uses his computer you get the impression that Emacs is his OS and GNU/Linux is just a bootloader for it.

But GNU never cared about the meme of >muh unix philosophy.
>>
>>53914588
Yeah, but we should not trust RMS about emacs.
Since it's his pride, he keeps shilling it and shits on everything that might be a rival.

>If you read anything about how RMS uses his computer you get the impression that Emacs is his OS and GNU/Linux is just a bootloader for it.
kek, you've sum up in one sentence his whole "my computing" section on his blog.
>>
>>53913980
>What am I missing compared with people who like emacs?
slime.. sadly theres no real common lisp plugin for vim
>>
Serious question...why not just use Sublime?
>>
>>53914670
I like Vim because I am in the terminal. And with plug-ins it does whatever I want. Hell I can do bash commands from inside vim. Quick vim and I can type a compile command. I want to pair program I make an user account and let someone ssh in.

Do emacs and sublime work in terminal? I honestly don't know.
>>
>>53914566
I like too use open-source and free software
>>
>>53914204
Is evil 100% vim-compatible in that all vim commands, keybindings and modes are perfectly emulated?
>>
Spacemacs.org
>>
>>53915394
Why spacemacs is better than evilmode ?
>>
>>53914522
damn i never heard of that, thanks anon
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.