[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OpenSUSE: Yea or nay?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
I'm finally starting the process of dumping Windows for Linux as my home desktop/workstation. I've been looking at a number of distros, and I've zoned in on openSUSE as my leading candidate:

>big/well-known distro, so lots of info and resources
>not a meme distro like Arch or Gentoo, works out of the box
>community is not a bunch of SJW cucks like Debian
>not botnet-tier like Ubuntu
>YaST and other configuration tools are supposed to be good
>Tumbleweed release is appealing to make upgrading a minimal-effort thing

How reasonable of an assessment is this? What does /g/ think about openSUSE? Is it a reasonable choice for someone who is familiar with Linux, but doesn't want to invest the time that Arch/Gentoo takes?
>>
Try it out, it's free, nothing to lose, if you don't like it and want something similar go with Fedora. Or try any other Ubuntu derivatives. Even Debian is good, just make sure not to install the server features.
>>
>>53914459
This is accurate.
>>
>>53914459
No! You were supposed to give bad advice
>>
>>53912188
Sounds like a good distro for your desktop op
go try it out

What's the difference between tumbleweed and rolling release? Is tumbleweed something between rolling and traditional?
>>
>>53914459
Why not the server features? Serious question, does this apply to a real server? Currently running ubuntu server but at the point where Reinstalling wont be too much of a pain
>>
I have been using openSUSE since a year ago and is the best Linux distro that I have use, the way it works with kde is gorgeous, but you'll have to try it yourself and see how it fits you
>>
Ubuntu-MATE. Simplicity and support of Ubuntu, Reliable and Fast-as-fuck development of MATE DE. It's the best distro out there for serious work.
>>
>>53912188
I tried to install it, but it black screens right after the kernel loads. Pretty shitty installer is my only thoughts on suse.
>>
>>53914594
Try a stable spin of SUSE, or Fedora 23
>>
>>53914673
Would it be difficult to upgrade to tumbleweed once I installed stable? I'm on skylake and kinda need kernel 4.4. I like the idea of suse.
>>
>>53914716
Here ya go buddy.
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation#Upgrade
>>
>>53914733
Since your Tumbleweed ISO wont boot to begin with, give the online upgrade a shot.
>>
File: openPEPE.png (120 KB, 2000x1433) Image search: [Google]
openPEPE.png
120 KB, 2000x1433
Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it, and you're like "oh man, I'm going to have to suck this thing". You brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "well, at least I got that out of the way". However, the giant cock rears its ugly head, and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this cock is penetrating your grey matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor functions. Then, the giant cock slaps you across the cheek and knocks you out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours.

That's what using openSUSE feels like.
>>
>>53912188
>SJW cucks like Debian
Did I miss something?
>>
>>53914716
>he fell for the skylake meme
>>
>>53914594
Exact same scenario for me. Installer felt poorly designed and after it had finished it just booted up to a black screen with a grub prompt. 5 minutes of googling couldn't solve whatever issue it was so into the trash it went. Experiment over.
>>
>>53915039
can confirm
>>
>>53915039
as someone who has experienced this IRL and has also tried openhesus i can confirm
>>
>>53912188
I'm using Manjaro for two years and it's simple distro based on Arch but I agree with other anon on *buntu/Fedora, they might be more suitable for you.
>>
>>53915126
I fell for the Linux meme, yes
>>
>>53915039
Did anyone get aroused from reading that?
>>
>>53915721
>getting aroused by 1D
Hi RMS
>>
>>53914557
It isn't usable for me without packman. The internals are nice but it's repos are small
>>
Fedora is better.
>>
File: 1430625513590.gif (607 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
1430625513590.gif
607 KB, 800x792
>>53912188
The only reason not to do this, is that you will be looking at that ugly logo everytime you start your computer.
>>
SAFE HOUSE
>>
opensuse is a noob friendly distro.
google "things to do after installing opensuse"
>non-free codecs with one click install.
>shutting down unneccesary services suse enables by default
>>
>>53914563
This. Obanto MATE is the best right now for people that don't give a crap about learning or free software.
>>
>>53917170
>pacman
Don't you Arch sperglords have a containment thread?
>>
>>53912188
>big/well-known distro, so lots of info and resources
You'll be rather disappointed
>not a meme distro like Arch or Gentoo, works out of the box
And breaks when you try to change something
>community is not a bunch of SJW cucks like Debian
Oooh winbabby made a linux meme :^)
>not botnet-tier like Ubuntu
Only Unity is/was
>YaST and other configuration tools are supposed to be good
And is fairly easily replaceable actually
>Tumbleweed release is appealing to make upgrading a minimal-effort thing
Tumbleweed is broken beta tester cuckshit, at least use Leap if you're going opensushi

>>53914520
Tumbleweed is rolling
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.