[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I live in the middle of the woods in the USA and I get a shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: wr11-l600-de1-su.jpg (5 KB, 178x185) Image search: [Google]
wr11-l600-de1-su.jpg
5 KB, 178x185
I live in the middle of the woods in the USA and I get a shitty DSL connection.
I live extremely close to a cell phone tower. It's literally a 4 minute walk from my house.
I want to get a better internet connection, so I'm thinking about getting a 4G LTE cellular router with an unlimited data sim card.

A few questions before I actually go out and buy this:
Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
What brand should I buy from?
How exactly do I set up one of these? I've never done this before.
>>
>>53905119
Can you actually give me advice instead of whatever the fuck you just posted?
>>
it could work you might get a decent connection with it being so close. I'm staying at my dad's temporarily in bum fuck Tennessee and my 4g is definitely faster than his shitty Dsl, upload and download.
>>
Do you have boost mobile in your area? You can join the sekrit boost home internet club by getting the $55/month unlimited high speed data plan, connect using a vpn + pdanet and get free home internet.
>>
>>53905501
I don't know what pdanet is.
>>
>>53905657
It's an app whivh allows you to tether your laptop to your phone via wifi and use its 4G

I used it way back when on my original droid phone to play games at a community college where they blocked games on the wifi, and it worked well.
>>
>>53905657
It's an app you can download from the playstore.
>>
>>53905702
>>53905721
I use an iPhone 4S, does that matter?
And yes, I have boost mobile, but I already use AT&T.
>>
>>53905736
*I have boost mobile coverage in my area, but I'm already using AT&T.
>>
>>53905736
Won't work on iPhone. Your better off getting a 4G router or something then

I have no experience with them, but I would stick with a reliable brand and avoid chink shit, and you should be fine
>>
>>53905501
I have a similar situation. However, instead of the VPN, I just manually enter DNS addresses on the devices I tether.
>>
>>53905757
Do you know any way I could get unlimited data on the router that I purchase? I'm planning to use this for video games and skype calls and shit.
>>
>>53905756
Ok now go get a zte speed from amazon, they're like $20 a piece. Activate that phone with the plan, turn on the vpn, and finally pdanet (usb). Bam, you now have home internet.
>>
>>53905844
Don't get the router you dumbass. Nobody offers unlimited data for lte routers. This is why I'm telling you to go with a boost phone.

lte routers are expensive and companies give you very harsh data caps for them.
>>
>>53905850
How exactly does this work?
>>
very similar situation here in australia but there's literally no unlimited 4G plans here
>mfw 4G is 100x faster than your home internet
why even live fampai...
>>
>>53905956
Once the phone is activated and you paid for a month of unlimited high speed data you turn on a vpn which hides network traffic from boost, this prevents them from knowing you are tethering. You then turn on pdanet (usb mode), plug in the phone cable to your laptop/desktop, activate pdanet there as well (usb mode of course), and finally get internetz.

BEFORE you do all this however you should know that you get 8GB of mobile hotspot in your plan. So use your phone as a mobile hotspot like normally and when you use up all the 8GB of data your wifi hotspot will lock itself and this is when you use a vpn + pdanet to force your phone to give your laptop/desktop internet.
>>
>>53905897
You mean don't get a router directly from the carrier. If you buy a third party 4g router, you can plug I'm a sim card with, for example, an unlimited T-Mobile 4g plan, and it will work fine
>>
>>53906104
And how fast will this connection be?
So you're saying I should enable the VPN after I run out of data or before I run out of data?
>>
>>53906111
>You mean don't get a router directly from the carrier. If you buy a third party 4g router, you can plug I'm a sim card with, for example, an unlimited T-Mobile 4g plan, and it will work fine
Except the tiny little insignificant problem is that such a plan costs 95 fucking dollars a month. Also t-mobile will find out excessive non-mobile data has been going through the router and shut you down (though you can use a vpn).
>>
>>53906190
>And how fast will this connection be?
You can expect around 4-6Mbps if you live in a zone with lte and 20Mbps+ if you live in a zone with really good enhanced lte coverage. Which the phone I mentioned will support both networks (ie lte band 25 and 25+26+41). Just to give you an idea 1080p youtube videos will load fast without buffering on a 3Mbps connection.

>So you're saying I should enable the VPN after I run out of data or before I run out of data?
After you run out of data. You can use the 8GB as you please without a vpn through your phone's mobile hotspot feature. This feature will become unavailable after this and so you must use pdanet (usb mode)+ vpn to funnel internet access to you laptop/desktop.
>>
>>53906275
Thanks, I'll try it.
>>
When I moved across country a few years ago I tethered my Verizon 4g data to a wireless router instead of paying for comcast. It worked well. Using tasker and and nfc tag I could turn the wireless ap on and off by swiping my phone over it.

Wifi or USB tether to a PC. Use PC to bridge connection and feed to WAN port of router.
>>
Only issue is high ping, and potential throttling because your ISP didn't foresee anyone using their unlimited data plan as a home Wi-Fi network.
>>
>>53906504
>Only issue is high ping, and potential throttling because your ISP didn't foresee anyone using their unlimited data plan as a home Wi-Fi network.
Ping on lte can be as low as 20ms though it will bounce around 40-60ms most of the time which should still be okay for online fps vydias. Also boost isn't legally allowed to throttle your connection unless the network is under load. And even then it can only throttle you to 1mbps at worst. Though I would never go past 100GB of data but out only because of sheer niceness and to encourage boost to never stop offering unlimited lte to others.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.