[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Math for CS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
What math do you need for CS?
>>
>>53895174
All of it
>>
>>53895174
For most cases, only basic algebra.
>>
>>53895174
trigs, calculus, probability, series, linear algebra, inequality etc
>>
>be me
>gets in college for a web development degree
>basic foundations of mathematics on computer this semester
>neverending functions
>calculations next semester

And thats just WD. Which I dont know how much of this math is actually necessary. I can only imagine how it is with CS.

I do believe that they should replace both classes with something related to web design tho because fuck those math classes are bad.
>>
File: math.png (37 KB, 794x895) Image search: [Google]
math.png
37 KB, 794x895
Analysis, linear Algebra, Propabillity, statistics, numerics

Source: University
>>
>>53895234
For code monkeying, not CS
>>
Numerical analysis was by far the most useful for me
>>
>>53895174
None. Seriously.
You don't need math for CS.
>>
>>53895174
Automata, Complexity, Computability, Algebra, Some Calculus

don't waste all your time on calc, it's not really important
>>
>>53895715
In a literal sense of programming for a living this will usually be the case...

I have a math exam in 6 hours. Fuck me.
>>
>>53895174
Partial differential equations.
>>
Topology
>>
Pretty much everything that isn't calculus.
>>
Maki
>>
Real answer, beginning discrete math
>>
>>53895336
Implying there is a difference
>>
Just read concrete mathematics and you'll be off to a good start
>>
>>53896713
Except for AI, scientific computation, optimization, graphics, robotics or anything like that
>>
File: Hardest class in CS.png (423 KB, 490x684) Image search: [Google]
Hardest class in CS.png
423 KB, 490x684
>>53895174
Ducks
>>
math is SC is an archaic meme
>>
>>53898758
>ai
>calculus
>>
We have algebra, analysis discrete mathematics, numerical mathematics and statistics. Kill me now.
>>
If you want to be a webdev, you only need to know how to add and subtract

otherwise most CS programs require up to multivariable calc, linear algebra, and discrete math

if you want to go into cryptography or machine learning, you will need many more math classes (real analysis, combinatorics, etc)
>>
>>53895293
Sorry computers are for smart people only
>>
It depends on what you want to do with your CS degree. The standard CS courses at any decent university will go into a lot of the necessary math (forms of discrete math, automata, computability, etc.) and you shouldn't have to go out of your way to learn those.

I imagine most people would find additional courses on number theory and graph theory helpful.

>>53895234
This is true if you don't plan on doing much. I don't think much math is necessary for 99% of uses in web development?

>>53895260
This is very true if you're looking to do something with AI or simulations or something.
>>
>>53898972
There's this pretty big field of AI known as machine learning
>>
>>53899020
Is number theory useful except for cryptography?

Maybe in information theory more generally?
>>
Reading today about 5 german CS students creating a program which records your face and places it on the other head in real time, while I am browsing Wordpress docs for outputting posts, learning currently popular JS framework that does everything by itself and writing hundreds of lines of CSS.

Kinda feels bad.
>>
>>53899063
To a point cryptography is the main use of it, aye, but I think there's value in just being forced to think about the issues and theorems in number theory, as integers are a fundamental part of CS... familiarity with number theory may allow you to recognise and solve patterns/problems that crop up on occasion in programming. It also shows up in areas like compression, randomness, communication, or hash functions.
>>
It heavily depends on what you’ll study.

Vocal synthesis? You’d better be really good at maths.
Basic desktop software development? You won’t need very complex maths.
>>
>>53895174
If you have to ask that question here, pick theatre as your major instead of cs.
>>
>>53895234
>>53895715
Where the fuck are you going that doesn't require math for cs?

>>53896713
My university requires up to calculus 3
>>
>>53899043
>machine learning
>calculus
>>
>>53899877
Least squares, lagrange multipliers etc are all calculus based and used in machine learning.
>>
>>53895174
Depends on where you go with CS. More of the theory based stuff does require an understanding of discrete mathematics and loop invariant proofing. However, if you're working in web dev or practically anything HTTP related anymore, you really don't need much beyond calculus (you need it for the problem solving skills, not the math directly).
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-25-59.png (790 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-25-59.png
790 KB, 1080x1920
>code monkey doormat soon to be replaced by pajeet
Highschool math

>computer scientist
More math = more better
>>
File: Comp=Sci=.png (1 MB, 1499x860) Image search: [Google]
Comp=Sci=.png
1 MB, 1499x860
>>53895174
>falling for the CS has math meme
>>
File: how_to_type.png (246 KB, 932x711) Image search: [Google]
how_to_type.png
246 KB, 932x711
The only math I would think you would need is counting money. Money management is a good skill to have because you would be able to have an economy advantage for most rounds.

Just remember anon, to be good at CS you must work hard, have dedication and most importantly team work.

Good luck with your endeavors anon.
>>
>>53895174
By posting more Maki ITT, obviously.
>>
>>53905170
>graduate texts in mathematics
Currently reading Abstract Algebra from these series. I really like it.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.