[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virus or not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: hacked_skull_image-274x3002.jpg (21 KB, 274x300) Image search: [Google]
hacked_skull_image-274x3002.jpg
21 KB, 274x300
So about 2 years ago, I went to a state contest on computer maintenance. Basically A+ stuff, I have some knowledge of it, but i'm still able to fix problems. on one scenario, I had to remove a "virus" that got into internet explorer. The homepage was changed and some other settings and the homepage words says "PWNED"/"HACKED" with a green skull on it.

I downloaded a anti-virus and malware-bytes and didn't find nothing. Then I went to the local of the IE and delete everything that was changed and put it to default setting.

Now that I notice, I'm starting to think it wasn't a virus or there was one, but I didn't find it.

Thoughts?
>>
>>53893658
Did you check the registry for malicious keys?
>>
should have installed gentoo
>>
>>53893845
I did not, I didn't even thing about it at the time.
>>
>>53893658
Forgot to mention, it was all set up on a virtual program like a test so I wouldn't think the judge made the scenario too complicated
>>
>>53893973
99% of windows viruses use registry for persistence, it's always the first place you should look.
>>
>>53894210
How can you even know if something was added to the registry? There's a shitton of keys and you can't sort all of it by modification date
>>
>>53894237
Are you retarded?
>>
>>53893658
>state contest on computer maintenance
wait, you mean like with prizes for being the best IT monkey?
>>
>>53894432
How is being in computer maintenance similar to being an 'IT monkey'?
>>
>>53894487
his first reaction was to download antivirus and run that. monkey see, monkey do, monkey poo in the loo.
>>
>>53894412
No he's a stupid spic given away by his grammar
>>
>>53894237
There usually aren't that many keys in run registries so it's not hard to figure out which ones are malicious. If there are a lot of keys in your run registries than your boot time is probably slow as fuck.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.