[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If my ultimate goal is complying with FLOSS philosophy, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: MZyaowOb_400x400.png (82 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MZyaowOb_400x400.png
82 KB, 400x400
If my ultimate goal is complying with FLOSS philosophy, what is the smartphone for me?
>>
>>53893555
none
they all run binary blobs
>>
>>53893571
Is there even sense in getting as close to FLOSS as you can then? Or is it all Christopher poole (aka moot)?
>>
>>53893599
You can look into Replicant but it's shit.
>>
>>53893555
Maybe you should try running replicant on this thing
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/
>>
>>53893614
Even with replicant, your baseband processor runs non-free binary blobs and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>53893599
The more FLOSS, the better.
>>
Isn't Neo900 free-as-in-stallman?
>>
>>53893555
>If my ultimate goal is complying with FLOSS philosophy
Well you can't unless you only use some shitty Chinese netbook from 20 years ago like RMS. All x86 CPUs from any recent time run proprietary microcode.

Also, no more Internet for you. Most sites run JS blobs, so you can't use them morally, right?

Also, any kind of smartphone is out of the question. They all require some kind of proprietary firmware.
>>
>>53893555
Rotary phones
>>
>>53893555
The closest you can get is getting a well supported phone and installing a free ROM and not downloading google apps, and using f-droid and things like osmand. Hardware wise we're fucked. In the future some companies like fairphone might be willing to help out though.
>>
>>53895673
Why is this so? So would buying a Replicant be better than say a Blackberry 10?

>>53898540
Thanks, I tend to agree since absolute freedom can't be achieved on any device currently
>>
>>53899830
Buying a replicant IMO isn't worth it, because you seriously give up a lot since it has a small list of old devices that it supports.

And yeah it'd be great if a smartphone company were willing to comply, I wonder what one plus or fair phone or another sort of small independent phone company would do if a lot of people wrote to them about it.
>>
>>53893555
you have to build one
and then again the actual gsm module runs nonfree software
but with clever engineering you can reduce its scope of damage.
for example: an avr32 based custom phone with a gsm module
>>
No phone can be fully free software because of the GSM modem.

The closest you can get is a Neo900.

A less free, but more convenient option is the Jolla phone, which only has a proprietary UI (and modem obv) afaik
>>
>>53897823
>he doesn't know about libreboot
>he doesn't know about librejs
>he actually wants a device which tracks and records every detail of his life
>>
>>53897823
>he hasn't used GNU Icecat
>>
>>53893555
ubuntu touch just had an update today. It became very great now.
The only downside of it now is the number of apps.
>>
note 2 has a floss rom
hwoever it lacks the radios
>>
>>53901147
Do you own one? I'd be curious to hear more about what you think of it.
>>
Would Ubuntu phone be a good option? Like the Aquaris or Meizu
>>
>>53900544
Jolla is pretty much dead in the water now. The Neo900 was meant to be released last year..at this stage it's a borderline scam.

I think the Ubuntu phones are the best option we have.
>>
>>53901239
A good option if you don't mind using an OS with next to zero application support and plenty of bugs.

It does receive updates very frequently though. I'll be grabbing one this year.
>>
>>53900544
I don't know if you've noticed, but Jolla is less open than Android.
>>
>>53897823
https://github.com/4chan/4chan-JS/blob/master/LICENSE
This site in fact doesn't require nonfree javascript, even with the native extension.
>>
>>53895673
>>53898540
These.

I can especially recommend not running Google apps: good privacy, good battery, low memory consumption.
>>
>>53901277
They made a lot of promises to open source parts of Sailfish OS and never came through. I stayed up all night refreshing their website so I could pre-order one. What a total clusterfuck and disappointment the whole project ended up being.
>>
>>53901263
How's the OS overall? I'm sure the bugs will be worked out if it really is open source.

If I don't go the FLOSS route, I was considering getting a Blackberry 10 Leap because I hear it's OS is great. I don't use many apps really, so I don't think I'd be missing much by getting the BB10 OS, so the same logic could apply to a Ubuntu phone.

Also, can you run ANY GNU / Linux OS on it? It'd be dank if I could have the same OS I use on my personal laptop on my phone.
>>
>>53902579
Oh and if I do get the BB10 Leap, I was gonna use only FSF apps from F-Droid and generally rice it out to be as FLOSS as possible.

Would Stallman sort of approve?
>>
>>53902596
Android without gapps sounds more like something for that.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.