[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How technologically savvy are you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 16
On a scale from 1 to 10, I would say I'm currently a 6.

<<<Rate yourself /g/
>>
>>
>>53888766
8.5 sorry dumb fucks I'm a programmer
>>
>>53888794
Why are you so arrogant you fuck? Have some respect for others bro.
>>
>>53888766
scale unclear..
1 - granny
10 - ?
>>
8-9
>>
File: github avatar.png (78 KB, 409x437) Image search: [Google]
github avatar.png
78 KB, 409x437
>>53888766
Scale's really unclear so I'll make my own:

1 - Never used any tech - Person who just woke up from a coma or something.

2 - Old Person who still uses snail mail - May have some tech but they always need help with it.

3 - Luddite w/ flip phone - Sticks to simple, often outdated tech but can use what they know.

4 - Normie without desktop - Knows all of the normal things that a person should know to be a functional human being.

5 - Normie w/ prebuilt - Same but with some photoshop and office skills as well as some experience debugging small problems.

6 - Person who built a gay man rig - Dunning Kruger zone, Person knows more than most others but overestimates their skills and knowledge.

7 - Beginner Programmer/Scripter/WebDev/Hardware - Once you know how much you don't know you can safely say that you're here.

8 - Experienced Programmer/Scripter/WebDev/Hardware - If you're employable then this is you.

9 - Mathematician and true computer scientist - You'll find these types in research labs or writing scientific papers.

10 - ??? ??? - They prefer people to not know they exist

I'm about a 7.
>>
>>53888766
you plebs can call me colonel hacker.
>>
>>53890262
>7
>8
>webdev
At first I wasn't laffin, but now I am.
These all probably need to drop a couple levels, besides 10.
1 - Never used any tech - Person who just woke up from a coma or something.
2 - Luddite w/ flip phone - Sticks to simple, often outdated tech but can use what they know.
3 - Normie without desktop - Knows all of the normal things that a person should know to be a functional human being.
4 - Normie w/ prebuilt - Same but with some photoshop and office skills as well as some experience debugging small problems.
5 - Person who built a gay man rig - Dunning Kruger zone, Person knows more than most others but overestimates their skills and knowledge.
6 - Web "programmer." Should probably be a 3 or 4 really. Only uses a Mac and every time an error message pops up they'll run to the Mac(r) store for Mac(r) wizards to help them.
7 - Beginner Programmer/Scripter/Hardware - Once you know how much you don't know you can safely say that you're here.
8 - Experienced Programmer/Scripter/Hardware - If you're employable then this is you.
9 - Systems programmer - writes device drivers or anything more complicated than shit that code monkeys (8) work on
10 - Mathematician and true computer scientist - You'll find these types in research labs or writing scientific papers.
>>
>>53890262
8 on this scale
>>
>>53890262
prob 7 or 8.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 464x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 464x500
>>53890262

Any attempt I make at trying to understand programming or Linux ends in failure, resulting in me being a slightly more self aware normie
>>
>>53890262
6-7 I guess. I'm a physics major so we do a bit of coding and use some more advanced computer programs. But I don't know much programming beyond what I need for doing physics problem or lab work
>>
>>53890498
Both programming and linux are simple in and of themselves? What do you need help with? Also why are you on /g/ then?
>>
>>53890262
7 I guess
>>
>>53890395
>>53890262
where does knowing linux fall into this?
>>
>>53890262
About a 7
>>
>>53890675
>>
>>53888777
Nice numbers.

>>53888766
With 0 being total retard and 10 being turbo maximum autist knowing the workings of everything from magnetism in his hard drive to his cpu transistors, cache and predictive agorithms; I rate myself an honest 5
>>
>>53890262
>>53890395
>>
>>53890262
7/10 I'm OK.
>>
>>53888766
8 I'm a sysadmin.

Only reason I am not a 9 or 10 is because there is simply too much to know.

I don't even do anything at work anymore, everything is now scripts I have written.

btw engineers don't know shit about tech. our CTO can't even into his computer.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 446x362
>>53890558
Interested by the hardware, I guess, that at least I can understand. My will to learn programming and understand Linux came from lurking on /g/, it wasn't present before, so now I'm just here for the stuff I can understand. I don't get why it's so hard for me to comprehend, I'm actually an intelligent person, but whatever. Maybe if I lurk long enough I can eventually integrate into /g/
>>
>>53890705
Pretty accurate bro, the more we know the more we know that we dont.
I would rate myself a 5, and by the scale the others have said I'm a 8-9. So this helps my point. Most of the people of /g/, In a real scale are like 3-4, with a couple of 5-6 and some god 7-8.
>>
>>53890789
Fuck you
>>
8/10. I'm very good with hardware and almost as good with software/troubleshooting.

I know the basics of soldering but have never NEEDED to solder anything, so my experience is limited in that area due to disuse. That and I know the basics of crimping my own Ethernet cables, but again, never NEEDED to.

Even if I did know those 2 things inside and out, there is always something new to learn.

I don't program at all other than bash commands (that barely counts).
>>
2 or 3
>>
>>53890807
Programming - obtain a compiler and write computer programs and compile them; have you?

I so scarcely worked as a programmer and do not see that I am employable as to my firepower so sort of a 6 or 7 on the first scale presented.
>>
>>53890807
It's because you have nothing you want to program. Like you have no project you're really interested in that you feel you have the skills to make.
>>
>>53890906
Do you have a compiler on your PC? (I know you said you do not program.)
>>
>>53890961
Make some files on a disk, such as ASCII text files or files with numeric data. Display material on the screen such as "fantasy cow activity log"
which is like Bovine Roulette with no violence.
>>
>>53890995
This is not something that interests me at all.

I've done lots of programming challenges and shit, but I haven't made my own program that was mine from idea to implementation. I haven't found what I want to make.
>>
>>53888766
5 at best.
I feel like I got dumber with the years after I finished college.
>>
>>53890963
No none. I have the bare bones basics of c++ and visual basic from my prereq classes. My associates degree is in Network Admin.

Was trying to teach my self Python because I was told it would help with making scripts for network maintenance, but I don't enjoy programming at all. No drive.
>>
>>53890961
You're probably right. A while ago I tried visual studio and Python and shit, I printed some stuff to the screen and made an atrocious calculator before cringing at myself and forgetting I ever attempted to try programming
>>
7/10 here
>>
>>53890852
y though
>>
>>53890807
See, some pioneers write "Expert Systems" to sift (little or larger) heaps of factual data and come up with things like medical diagnoses for example.

A lot of us protoplasm folks though need "Inexpert Systems" to guide us through developing ourselves technologically from a 4 to a 5 to a 6 to a 7. and no I do not want a commercial software house to be training me to use their crap, I would rather be trained to use GNU post-output so someone else is not making a campus-load of livings off of the license fees we pay to hit those keys and see lights on our screens.
>>
>>53890906
>bash commands
Shit nigger that doesn't count at all.

You got some dunning kruger going on, step yo ass back to 6.
>>
>>53891094
Learn ruby. Chef, puppet and salt stack all are ruby based.

Puppet will configure cisco nexus switches, so you definitely want to learn that.
>>
>>53891162
Maybe that other posters with the f is objecting to your positive high self-regard, apart from the numeric rating which who knows you may have accurately.
>>
>>53891162
because I'm an engineer.
>>
>>53891218
Have you replaced yourself with code? I work about 1 hour a week more than the neets of /g/. I go to work, eat beef jerky and watch youtube videos while getting paid 90k.

Yeah sometimes the DC explodes and I gotta work 80 hour weeks for 3 weeks straight but whatev.
>>
>>53891094
I for one am starting to suspect that what some proportion of us lack is that we do not have a compiler.
There is the other important matter, of what the efff is a person going to write if they have one.

My compiler I worked out with a lot of hours was Borland Pascal, and critics may say that is small and only links to one library? I liked it.
>>
>>53891274
"I Hate [insert application here] it is so counter-intuitive, [insert company that makes application here] must outsource all their development, this software is unusable! I would have used [insert completely arbitrary list of stupid features]"

>every engineer ever

rtfm niglet
>>
>>53891274
honest question - how many cocks do yo usuck a day?
>>
>>53891276
No I did not achieve my way out of programming.

It seems to me I had marginal prospects and never enough conjunction of the right stuff to keep the situation as a programmer alight.

Whatall I wrote in Pascal I did on my own not at hire mostly because I enjoyed it, I could have written something like "fantasy cow activity log" for instance and felt ok about being able to do that.
>>
>>53890262
I've made a few games.
>Pong
>Hangman
>Shitty Pokemon Clone
>>
>>53891367
bout tree fiddy
>>
>>53891420
I didn't have any reason to write anything ever until I started working. When I realized that anything I did more than once could be replaced with a script I started scripting full time.

Eventually I built up a library of enough scripts that they covered well over 90% of what I do.

I was thinking of switching jobs just to try something new.
>>
>>53891176
>thinks that programming is the end all be all

You have no idea the number of people I've done work for on the side that were "programmers" and had no idea which end was up regarding computers. All OK by me of course. I'm more than happy to charge $100 to reinstall windows, fix a driver mishap, or other such minor error.

90% of them were people with CS degrees. Aka retarded.
>>
>>53891367
>le enginigger meme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:^)
>>
>>53891439
Then I too would be a 7.

A game from me would not involve moving graphics with a hero that jumps. A game from me would have presented text-based displays and be conceptualized apart from the motion and cartoon.
>>
>>53888766
So I just built my own gaymin rig, and further read a layperson's book on how cpus work and overall the process was so enjoyable I would like to learn more technical material about computers.

However, I am in the medical field and spending time learning things that are not useful to the average computer enthusiast is probably a waste of time.

So /g/, what are the essential books or online guides for learning all about how the internet works, routing, hardware, etc? I don't need to be more than a ''7'' and am not looking to become a programmer, but I would at least like to be more knowledgeable and able to troubleshoot any of my problems.

tldr what does /g/ recommend every computer enthusiast but not professional should know
>>
>>53888928
10 = Grand Wizard

I'm at a solid 3, maybe 4
>>
>>53890807
What do you think the biggest hurdle is right now? If you have any interest at all I suggest making a bootable usb (run an OS from your USB) of Linux Mint or something and just dicking around.
>>
>>53891459
My routine.

Is the hardware up and on? (Most common problem, the thing is not on.)
NO - fix it.

IF YES is the software working? YES - the problem is the user.
NO - like install it or replace it or something.

There! (It's fucking nothing.)

I have written batch routines, like to back up a list of select files. Network scripts, I don't know.
>>
>>53891465
Fuck off cunt, I am a sysadmin, I can do all your geeksquad tier desktop support with my eyes closed and completely drunk.
>>
>>53891465
I have installed operating systems in the 1980s but never Windows, there are locks and defenses on that important intellectual property these days.
>>
>>53891465
lol idiot, You know how I reinstall windows? I have the desktop support tech image it with the mdt server I deployed.
>>
>>53891531
Do you know what disk directory your data files are in?
Do you just let the application lord over the data files, or do you watch what it what and back yourself up?
Increasingly modern software keeps shoving the user furthur and furthur down the endUser stream, to the very end.
>>
>>53891311

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>53890262
>Mfw when I'm about a 6.5 but know. Solid 10 on this scale
>>
>>53891565
I think you may be fencing with two other people in a hostile vein, that you think are both the same engineer. Maybe.
>>
>>53891609
Well I know how to partition my drive and I always choose the folder/directory I install stuff into.

Isn't there vocational school for computer technicians? Techs and sysadmins, give me a play-by-play of your education. Also if anyone wants to share how they first became dedicated to a career in IT that would be awesome.
>>
>>53891632
Obviously the last person was some pleb tier help desk drone.
>>
>>53890262
>>
>>53890395
web dev should be 7 you need to know how to setup, and admin a server and write your Html and CSS files.
>>
>>53891630

what does the "10" do exactly? Don't say government.
>>
>>53891610
OK this thread is of the topic, 'How tech savy are you' or not.

My post speculates that some percentage of us, although on /g/ do not have and run a compiler for whatever and any reason.
That part of us are relatively less technoid.

Are you challenging the notion that you have to write computer programs to be a proper /g/ent?

Or it may be you can say, that I am a rambling boor and you don't want to follow my posts enough to read 'em, and you can be reasonable if that is your question mark.
>>
I'm a 5.5, I built my own PC but I don't overestimate what I know.

I bought a thinkpad because its cheap, good quality, and fast enough.

I built my PC because best price/power ratio, plus it's fun

I installed Linux on my old laptop because its much faster than windows

But I still use win10 because its easy to use, and all the programs I like are on there.
>>
>>53891729
I might get more into programming soon, I want to build my own LED car tail lights, and build a program where I can control the LEDs and make them play animations and whatnot
>>
>>53891701
I have visual studio and linux can compile just fine.

What exactly are you talking about.
>>
10, easily
>>
>>53891610
Or then again maybe my comment on Borland Turbo Pascal raised some misty unclarity.

ah well whatever, this is but Fourchan any which way
>>
>>53890262
On this scale I'd be about a 6.

Considering I'm a mechanical engineer with no desire to code I'm doing alright.
>>
>>53891701
Anyone can "run" a compiler, what you were saying just seemed so random and kinda non sense jargon dropping.

Like downloading a compiler and compiling code with it is not the challenge of being a programmer. It's writing and understanding the code.
>>
>>53891749
I sort of hope that distraction on the road will not be legal.

You are not intending to just sit in front of your home on your own property and play amusements for own volunteers.
>>
8.5 or higher based off these scales and yalls posts. Im the lead programmer of a small team of game developers and designers. Gameplay logic, game networking, and shader writing mostly. C# and Unity if anyone cares.
>>
What does that question even fucking mean? You mean you can also grasp the concepts of new state of the art medical technology as well? Technology is a broad field.
>>
>>53891754
OK so then, I said "some proportion" of us
do not for whatever reason write and compile.

You, accordingly are part of the reciprocal proportion among is that Do, ok?
I do not know what those proportions are, like 75% to 25% or what.
I am not trying to say that those of us that compile, do not.

In my case - this here computer I am on is not mine my own, a big part of the reason I would not try to download the GNU compiler suite (surely 100 times more than I need) nor would I be switching the operating system though I appreciate Linux.
>>
This thread reminds me of the usenet nonsense bots.
>>
>>53891875
speak in fucking english, gook
>>
>>53890262
Where does "Guy who made PFsense router and configured it" fall under? 5?
>>
>>53891785
Yes my compositional skills as to posts have been noticed by others as sort of weird or lame.

Sure, there are depths to programming way way beyond getting your hands on it and having it running. What I am thinking about is that there will not be very much writing and understanding of the code, before any com[iler in gotten.

I once purchased a C compiler that was too big for my PC of the time, that was a raw basic error. It is an example though of almost having a compiler but not running it once. Consequentially the purchase did not contribute to my writing and understanding of C at all, practically.

At software stores (I have asked and been told) they say there is no demand for compilers. Their commercial hopes are all on end users, there are few programmers to walk in to there store (shit even bookstores are under pressure from the online venues.)
>>
>>53891869
ah which post you were replying to; ?
>>
>>53891923
Yes my compositional skills as to posts have been noticed by others as sort of weird or lame.
US Anglophone here, I turned out the word "technoid" which the spelling checker warned against.

Maybe I should reinforce the courtesy of less often coining any jargon since it is a nuisance.
>>
>>53891993
typos too
>>
>>53892057
Listen, I have actual autism, but you really need to learn how to type like a human being.
>>
>>53892159
Criticism posted and considered,
it could be a positive reception of criticism
if I would change my habits.
>>
>>53890262
I like your scale. Also a 7.
>>
3.5-4 at best.
I can do a fuzz bizz in python and use bash, but that's about it.
>>
>>53890262

I'm a beginner programmer, but I've never built a rig.

I know how much I don't know though, which is important.

6.5/10
>>
>>53888766
i'm 0, at least granny knows how to set up an email account
>>
File: 1456732417517.jpg (15 KB, 476x345) Image search: [Google]
1456732417517.jpg
15 KB, 476x345
>>53888766
I'm working at a data center (this very second, in fact). I do plenty of hardware work and some sysadmin work.

This people who inhabit this place often baffle me. Rarely in a good way. I do my job, but I don't understand a certain level of hobbyist computing. I liken it to how some people say they're really into cars, but that just means they change their own air filters.
>>
>>53892696
yeah exactly, this board is a bunch of tire enthusiasts masquerading as car enthusiasts.
>>
10/10 I water cooled my gaming rig AND it's overclocked
>>
>>53890262
The scale is still a bit wonky, for example I am an experienced programmer yet I know very little about networks and I am unable to use a mac.

Also one of my maths professors who mostly studies complexity theory is barely able to use a computer.
>>
>>53890262
I'm an 8.
>>
>>53892022
The stupid ass OP. This is a facebook tier thread.
>>
>>53890262
I'm upgrading from 5 to 6.
No knowledge of photoshop, but knowledge of basic programming and even a bit of assembling disassembling.
>>
>>53888766
x220 out of 10
>>
>>53890262
Since when does computer scientist mean tech savvy?
>>
>>53888766
well, the things which allude me include: the intracacies of desktop environment frameworks.

Low level kernel programming and writing drivers.

I know pretty much everything else including being proficient in C,matlab,Java,Python.

What would YOU rate me?
>>
>>53890262
>>
>>53890291
I chuckled, have a (you)
>>
>>53891808
it'll just be used at car meets and drift events. it wont be on a street car.
>>
>>53890262
I'd definitely say 7
>>
File: tasks.png (29 KB, 267x448) Image search: [Google]
tasks.png
29 KB, 267x448
I have an extremely deep understanding of the meaning of this image. What does that mean?
>>
>>53888766
I'm a clear 1.

My stepson writes my posts for me :-D
>>
File: 1457041666279.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1457041666279.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
>>53888794
Dude no you're a "coder". Easy mistake, I'll let you off the hook this time, sport. ;)
>>
I'd say a nine.
I already did LFS, and wrote drivers, so maybe even ten
>>
>>53888777

Blaze it, trip faggot!

>>53890262

I don't like this scale. Most Math guys I know don't know shit about computers. Also you can be outstanding and not interested in Math.

But my main problem is you don't make a distinction between hardware and software. Or between theory and practice. It's kinda a multi-dimensional scale.

Hardware guys are like guys that build cars. Software devs are like formula 1 drivers. They work in seperate fields.

>>53890291

Yes, colonel hacker... ..sir!

>>53890395

Again a bad scale.

So fedora tier nerds who are into machine programming are "better" than guys who work in large scale projects and lead development teams? Nah.

>>53893172

>I know pretty much everything else including being proficient in C,matlab,Java,Python.

So you know 700 programming languages?
Cool, bro.

I rate liar / 10.

>>53893629

It means you're a noob.
>>
>>53890262
>>53890395
Systems engineer here. Solid 9. Worst nightmare is a software engineer with a screwdriver and a spec sheet...
>>
>>53890262
7, but I have never built a computer.

I'll give myself a 5.5
>>
File: beavis_understand_frustration.jpg (12 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
beavis_understand_frustration.jpg
12 KB, 267x200
>>53890395
8.5 according to this metric.

I have done my fare share as a hardware consultant in the past, I don't manage web at all or sysadmin but i have done my share also in programming.

Just 2 weeks ago i got called being on vacation because one of my company clients fucked up, they bought new computers and realized the printers werent compatible.

Their printers were old HP Lasers the install cd's had support for Windows 95-xp and last official driver was an XP-64 beta, made "compatible" with vista.

If you sended say a 3 page file to print you would have to wait 2-3 min for the printer to star printing, 1 page would come in about 10 seconds, then another 2 mins of wait and the other 10 seconds for the next page and so on.

30 pages per minute, shitty primitive laserjets, but the company had literally 2 toner barrels, a bunch of replacement parts and 50+ printers of the exact same model.

So i fixed the driver for them and increased the ppm from 30 to 35, anything above that would heat the toner to much and make it leak.

Charged them with 2k and the viatics because i was on vacations.
>>
>>53893992
it only takes so many languages to obtain an intrinsic understanding
>>
>>53888766

10 years ago I fell about a high 7 or a low 8.

Today I feel like a stretch to be a 5. Things have changed so fast and so much, it's like all the tech advances from 1970 to 2005 have taken place 10x over between 2005 and 2015. Not wanting to deal with Windows 10 alone makes me feel retarded. I just finally felt comfortable knowing a lot of the Win7 shit and was ready to scrap my WinXP machines when suddenly Win 8, Win 8.1 Win 10 just make me feel like I'm migrating from DOS to Win 95 again.

In reality, given just how completely stupid I see most people around tech, I probably am a solid 6, or maybe edge in at a low 7.

I mean, I definitely figured out how to get my email delivered on Sundays. Don't even fuckin' try to tell me email is obsolete ....
>>
8-9
>>
>>53890262
Somewhere between a 7 and 8. I know a lot about very specific niche hardware and software stuff, but I know that I don't know everything about anything.

That and I'm an unemployable autist.
>>
>>53893629
“In the 60s, Marvin Minsky assigned a couple of undergrads to spend the summer programming a computer to use a camera to identify objects in a scene. He figured they’d have the problem solved by the end of the summer. Half a century later, we’re still working on it.”
>>
>>53890262
7 that will soon be 8 (if a highly paid internship counts).
>>
File: 2h6zpxv.png (84 KB, 319x234) Image search: [Google]
2h6zpxv.png
84 KB, 319x234
Ayy lmao, I'm a 7, but for looks I'm a -7, ayy lmao
>>
>>53894536
>>
>>53890262
Between 5 and 6; I've never built a computer myself - I've never had to buy a new one because I know how to take care of tech properly.

Been using the same XP install for a decade and it still runs amazing.
>>
>>53888766
I just ssh'd into my laptop, through my home server, from my phone, in a Mcdonald's.
so on a scale from 1 to stallman i'll give myself a school network admin.
>>
>>53890395
I'd say a solid 8.
>>
File: 1454105141528.png (502 KB, 720x535) Image search: [Google]
1454105141528.png
502 KB, 720x535
Realistically, in between 6 & 7; I like to think I know way more than I actually do, I can admit this.

When it comes down to it, I haven't been able to get a compiler so I basically have zero experience programming, but can use Linux fluently. I'm interested in programming but I don't know where to get a free/cheap environment...

Ideas?
>>
>>53888766
I take money out of the ATM and take it to the bank, I don't trust the ATM.
>>
2, I come here to shitpost during breaks
>>
1. I struggle with daily tasks and regularly beg /g/ for assistance.
>>
File: Empirical_Rule.png (30 KB, 769x558) Image search: [Google]
Empirical_Rule.png
30 KB, 769x558
>>53888766
If I was to map myself on a normal distribution, I would probably be at least +5 standard deviations
>>
>>53896402
Depends on the language really, just go with a fully fledged free version of a commercial standard IDE, something like IntelliJ, VisualStudio etc. They usually set all your shit up so you don't have to worry about all the preconfigurations like imports, includes, dependencies and defining a main method.
>>
>>53888766
>Rate yourself /g/

Over 10001100101000
>>
>>53888794

Which language?

>inb4 Python and rating drop to 3
>>
>>53890395

"webdev" has to be defined.

Someone who can do "full stack" including SQL, server side language, client side JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and do it well (correctness, security, performance, efficiency)? Deserves to be 8 (on your scale).

Someone who can write some HTML and CSS and import 50MB worth of JavaScript libraries on top of whatever "app" they installed in cPanel? -5
>>
>>53888794
How exactly is being a programmer make you more tech savvy? My wife and friend are senior programmers... yet they can't troubleshoot, take apart, or upgrade a computer. Programming is more about knowing language and logic, not necessarily technology.
>>
>>53897318
>Programming is more about knowing language and logic, not necessarily technology.

A "programmer" who doesn't know the underlying hardware is a "script kiddie" in my book.
>>
I can replace laptop screens and fans/10
Software wise probably 6. I know the logic behind programming and am really good at math but I dont know any languages. However Im good at googling shit and have some experience with linux.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160405015549.png (620 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160405015549.png
620 KB, 1080x1920
>>53894163
>>53893629

www.captionbot.ai

Microsoft have managed it.
>>
>>53900284

* http://captionbot.ai
>>
>>53897376
>implying you know the underlying hardware
>implying you know macrocode
>implying you know Intel Management Engine
>>
>>53890262
>9 - Mathematician and true computer scientist
>>
>>53890262
Looks like I'm a 9

10 needs a solid description. RMS Dennis Ritchie tier?
>>
>>53897318
This is correct, although without an decent knowledge of hardware and tech (i.e. better than most people), chances are they won't be a very effective programmer.

>>53897376
You can still understand low-level computer and programming concepts without being knowledgeable about hardware. A "script kiddie" would be someone who only uses and understands languages with high abstraction.
>>
>>53900441
What do you work as?
>>
>>53900460
> look and laugh everybody, this guy has never programmed in assembly before!
>>
>>53890262
We're all 7, that is why we come go jee. Anything above is a lie or needs to grow up
>>
>compared to most people

>compared to /g/
Like a 4

I'm not a programmer but compared to most normies I must seem like a fucking wizard for having intermediate computer knowledge.
>>
>>53897076
> 14 bits
IN WHAT WORLD?
>>
>>53890395
they call me the stackoverflow warrior
>>
File: 731.jpg (54 KB, 600x505) Image search: [Google]
731.jpg
54 KB, 600x505
>>53900441
You expect us to just believe you. Kek.
>>
>>53900527
Most of /g/ is a 6 if you ask me. Lain is mostly 7's
>>
File: 9fg9i.jpg (32 KB, 460x272) Image search: [Google]
9fg9i.jpg
32 KB, 460x272
>>53900773

<<<On point dude
>>
>>53890262
Id say 6.5
>>
>>53900494
True, that's an extremity and very cringeworthy.

I'm talking more about someone who can write AI bots in Python vs. someone that can write a kernel in C/C++
>>
>>53900610
Some processors use 14 bits for actual memory and excess bits (2, 18 etc.) for padding.

Unless this anon is just being a retard. Most likely the latter.
>>
>>53900575
This x100

Flicking through a few pages of a textbook gets you more knowledge than 90% of people.

Probably due to how easy modern GUIs are to use, consequently making use of computers easy to use. No one looks beyond their comfort box at that point.
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.