[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
apelle vs wangblows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: i'll cut you.jpg (137 KB, 700x443) Image search: [Google]
i'll cut you.jpg
137 KB, 700x443
Looking to get a new laptop, the major deciding factor for me would be privacy.

With the recent events of windows 10 spying and apple vs fbi which would be the better option? Is apple still the last frontier for privacy?

Dont suggest linux, im not autistic enough
>>
>>53884245
Inbongo it's like an apal 8.1 but Jamaican and privacy
>>
Install TempleOS
>>
>>53884245
I'll give you an honest answer, even though you're on /g/ - shitposting central.

Windows 10 is 100% certified botnet privacy invading shithole.

OS X is MAYBE% certified botnet privacy invading shithole.

OS X might be compromised, less likely if you turn Filevault on. Windows is definitely compromised, without a doubt.

If your major focus is privacy, get a RMBP or MBA. Both of those can run (mostly) free software if you ever decide against OS X, and both are actually breddy gud machines. Although I'd wait a few months for WWDC, neither lines have gotten an actual update since 2012.
>>
Sounds like you don't know shit.

If you want privacy, go for an ARM processor. Apple is no frontier for privacy. It's not much less of a "botnet" than Windows 10 would be.

If you're really worried about privacy on your computer there's only one thing you can do, and that is not to access internet. That's the only option you have if you hold not-so-legal content.
>>
>>53884333
Do you think changing hosts files/disabling telemetry has any effect?
>>
>>53884419
hahahah no
under OS X, Linux, and *BSD, changing the HOSTS file is pretty much a guarantee that the OS will obey it. Under Windows, it's a meek suggestion. Windows 10 still does whatever it wants, custom HOSTS file or not. The only use for a custom HOSTS file in Windows is ad blocking in Edge.
Disabling telemetry is pretty much a purely visual effect. Even if it's not, Windows shills, it's still significantly less secure than OS X.
>>
>>53884464
Well, how to make OSX so secure? I'm fairly sure by default it isn't. It even has spotlight suggestions enabled by default
>>
>>53884597
Turn off spotlight suggestions. Get MVPS HOSTS file, move it to /etc. Enable Filevault. Enable the built in firewall, set it to `no response' mode or whatever it's called.

If you're ultra paranoid, turn on spotlight suggestions and check using another computer running Wireshark to see where the packets are going; add those destinations to the HOSTS file.

Use homebrew for installing applications, don't touch the shitty app store. Anything that isn't installed using homebrew, verify the MD5sums.

Another suggestion is to use Alfred, or Quicksilver, or any of the other FOSS app launchers on OS X instead of Spotlight.
>>
>>53884670
Almost forgot, keep bluetooth disabled any time you're not going to be explicitly using it (especially out in public). Half the local area malicious exploits are through bluetooth.
>>
File: Applel+NSA+MS.png (267 KB, 673x888) Image search: [Google]
Applel+NSA+MS.png
267 KB, 673x888
>>53884245
KEK
U
C
K
>>
>>53885091
did you not read the thread at all
fuck off, shitposter
>>
File: 1455781812408.png (156 KB, 1213x636) Image search: [Google]
1455781812408.png
156 KB, 1213x636
>>53884333
>appleshit
>privacy
>secure

Bait.
>>
>>53885237
lol
I bet you use Windows, fag
>SCROLLBARS IN THE KERNEL
>>
File: 1458201721918.jpg (50 KB, 676x720) Image search: [Google]
1458201721918.jpg
50 KB, 676x720
>>53885519
>my toddler OS is total shit
>i bet you use this other shit OS

>this is the best defense you have for using a total shit OS

Keep posting from your from your swiss cheese toddlerOS from your toddlerbook.
>>
>>53885589
>implying I use OS X
guess again, fag

the OP specifically said Windows or OS X
his criteria are security and privacy
I was answering his question
OS X is objectively better in those 2 aspects

now, if we're comparing OS X to ANY OS? Yeah, there's better alternatives. Either way, fuck off, shill.
>>
>>53885091
Literally cucks. iDiots will defend this.
>i-it's ok if apel spies on everythin i do and then cucks me by helping ms spy on me too
>>
>>53885237
i still dont get why that is posted as proof that macs are insecure
apple responded appropriately and patched it up after 2 updates
how is that a failure on osxs part?
>>
>Everything is insecure
>Everything is botnet
>Everything is out to get you.

>And you have to point it all out

/g/ in a nutshell
>>
>>53885692
>optional feature which is confirmably safe when disabled
>'spying' in the same way ubango spies
>'everything' meaning 1 text input field most often used for basic calculation and app launching
>FOSS alternatives *on osx* which fix literally all the problems you have with this

seriously nigger

>>53885775
it's ok to be reasonably suspicious of proprietary software, but not when it's provably safe, or provably safer than the other proprietary alternative (which is what OP ASKED FOR)
>>
>>53884245
If you care about privacy you should install GNU/Linux.
I only fire up my VM when I need some wangblows specific shitwares. They can be ran with WINE so I am going to delete the VM soon
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.