[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any point to a smart watch if you don't have a phone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
Is there any point to a smart watch if you don't have a phone?
>>
No. There's also no point if you do have a phone.
>>
I don't think so
>>
>>53880221
Smart watches are the future gramps. Also do us a favor and find the nearest river to drown in.
>>
>>53880257
I sure do love having to plug in my watch every night.
>>
>>53880272
This is a new technology give it time. But i'm afraid your old ass does not have much of that left hmm.
>>
>>53880272
Grampa, it's not actually a "watch", see? It's more like a wrist computer. That's why it needs recharging.
>>
>>53880287
I'm just sick of millennials trying to strap more and more useless gadgets onto their body
>>
>>53880300
Why do I need a computer on my wrist? I already have one on my desk and in my pocket.
>>
>>53880307
>I'm just sick of millennials trying to strap more and more useless gadgets onto their body

Don't worry, well be strappin gadgets to your body once your in the coffin.
>>
>>53880307
When were you born? Spoiler: if after 1980, you're a millenial too
>>
Smart watch technology isn't there yet to be viable. I'll let the early adopters do their job while I wait.
>>
>>53880322
Why not? Computers are cool
>>
>>53880322
what a stupid question.
why wouldn't you want a wrist computer?
>>
>>53880272
>take watch off
>place it on cradle
Yeah man, it fucking sucks. I have to waste a minimum of 1 second to charge this fucking thing. Total shit.
>>
What's a good practical reason to own a smart watch?

If you have no reason and still do own one, you're not really someone into tech as much as you are someone into the idea of being into tech but really are just an un-selfaware normie.
>>
>>53880322
There is literally no point at all. This trend IS going to die off. It's just sad that all these advocates for it won't be held accountable for their past opinions.
>>
OP here:

I'm just asking because I don't have a phone and I have to buy a watch. I just wondered if the smart watches have any useful tech on their own or if they're all tied into being paired with a phone.
>>
>>53880272
Its not that bad. I just drop my moto 360 into the dock on my desk.
>>
>>53880372
I'd want a wrist computer with useable I/O interface, while also not looking like a douchebag with a phone strapped to his wrist. As far as I know, these two things are mutually exclusive.
>>
If you can borrow a friend's phone to set it up, Yes, it is a fun gadget to own, and there are a couple standalone apps. i own a LG G Watch R and i think it's nicer than any watch i've ever owned
>>
I used to have my xperia x10 mini rigged up as a watch, it was cool and i greatly miss that phone and android 1.6 / 2.1
>>
>>53880552
Why don't you have a phone lad?
>>
>>53880257
apple pls
>>
>>53880552
Seiko 5 or ussr watch or bust
>>
>>53880769
Mostly because I don't really have anyone to call or text to (Or at least the people I know don't really do those things enough to make it worth while) and the other features, while nice, were never worth the cost of the phone and the plan.

I'm more just curious about the watch because it would be nice to have a little mp3 player, watch, fitness tracker, etc combo without having to also pay for stuff I won't use.

But I don't really know much about them and the information I have on them is remarkably illusive or vague in terms of what is required to use them and what they can really do. Such as when they say they can play mp3s but they don't seem to have a head phone jack anywhere on them.
>>
>>53880805
retarded hipster
>>
Given that 95% of my smartwatch usage is just more convenient notifications, I wouldn't see the point, no.

I guess you could use it as a fitness tracker or play music via bluetooth headphones, but who would?

I've got an old omate smartwatch that's basically just a phone on my wrist, but that thing struggled to get through a day. My samsung gear smartwatch lasts ~5 days, and whilst it does a lot less, that's kinda fine because I only use it as a notification shower.
>>
>>53880832
I'm asking because most smart watches are 1) more than not accesories to phones and 2) around the same price as most phones
>>
>>53880900
Fair enough.

Guess I'll just get a nice digital watch.
>>
>>53880190
>wearing a botnet on your wrist.
Why use my phone when I can purchase an additional inferior piece of technology that can do only some of what my phone can do? You must have autism. No rational person would ever wear this hunk of shit.
>>
>>53880931
I said in the post I don't have a phone.
>>
>want a wristband that lets me play/pause music on my phone and change track
Does something like this exist?
>>
>>53880978
yeah it's called a smartwatch
your poverty level will determine what kind you get
>>
>>53880335
>once your in the coffin.

Like what?

>your
How's highschool going :^)
>>
>>53881005
But i only want media controls, not something full of gimmicks I'll never use.
>>
>>53881026
no idea
>>
>>53880272
I charge my Pebble Time maybe once every week or so, battery is godlike.
When not connected to my phone it tracks my steps and sleep time, encouraging a healthy lifestyle. Also (off bluetooth) has a compass, stopwatch, timer, alarms, voice notes, 2048 (game when I'm bored), a workout app, voice translate (chinese roommate), and someone made a nice bus schedule app that saves an offline copy of the times to my watch.
>>
>>53880837
How is a seiko 5 hipster? Its one of the most popular watches world wide.

Hipsters lost all meaning honestly
>>
File: 1458834637169.png (72 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1458834637169.png
72 KB, 625x626
>>53880372
>>53880335
>>53880190
>>53880257
And so on...
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.