[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plasma Mobile OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: phone-features.png (200 KB, 960x214) Image search: [Google]
phone-features.png
200 KB, 960x214
Guys, this is it. KDE are working on a mobile OS.

http://plasma-mobile.org/
>>
>>53878555
Looks nice but how many clocks I can use at the same time? That's the real question.
>>
this would be cool ... if phones had any support for OSes outside of Android. Even Ubuntu can't take off
>>
b-but kde is too heavy for my i7
how is it not going to implode on my phone?
>>
>>53878698
>b-but kde is too heavy for my i7
Either you are lying or you ocmpletely fucked up your system.
>>
>>53878706
I guess it's more of his GPU. On AMD drivers it's a pretty crappy experience. My 280x can't just handle it well.
>>
File: 125028611309.jpg (11 KB, 230x176) Image search: [Google]
125028611309.jpg
11 KB, 230x176
And it's going to be as relevant as Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish OS.

How about you actually make KDE worth using on the desktop side first before wasting time creating an interface on a non-existent phone.
>>
>>53878698
The fuck are you on about?
Plasma 5 runs just fine on my fucking T61
>>
Old news. They announced it ages ago. Too bad there is no way it'll gain traction in the market and will suffer the typical problems in lacking support of both devices and software.
>>
File: 1254347507607.jpg (24 KB, 475x640) Image search: [Google]
1254347507607.jpg
24 KB, 475x640
>>53878555
>The music in the promo video
>>
>>53878724
>AMD
There it is.
>>
>>53878770
Yeah but I mean, what the hell?

A shitty fucking laptop can handle it. Integrated intel graphics can handle it. A $200 dedicated GPU can't. Just how?
>>
>>53878706
>>53878751
kde itself loads for over 10 seconds
when im booting arch with awesomewm i get from post to desktop in around 3
>>
>>53878847
5 secs here on a 2nd gen core2duo and a nearly 10 year old HDD.
You're doing something wrong
>>
xkcd11standard.jpg
>>
>>53878798
don't use AMD's proprietary crap retard
>>
>>53878906
I tried both proprietary and FOSS drivers, which do perform differently but hardly "smooth". Not to mention vsync does jackshit on open source drivers with software like chromium. If I wanted tearing I'd use fucking XFCE by default.

Retard.
>>
>>53878996
install gentoo
>>
>>53878555
Another dead os.
>>
>>53878555
I don't get it - microsoft can't do it, what the fuck makes other companies think they can? not to try and defend microsoft's stand when it comes to mobile OS', but I'm sure they have a lot more money to sink on a DOA OS than these shitty fucking piece of shit no-name companies not to mention a lot more brand-name.
>>
>>53879407
Maybe the guys are doing it because they want to use an OS they feel comfortably using, and not to gain a huge userbase or anything. After all, KDE is a non profit organisation.
>>
>>53878764
keked
>>
>>53878724
Go on installgentoo and check out the radeon tutorial, assuming you're not using the proprietary driver that is.
>>
There are two scenarios where this might take off.
>they build it on top of AOSP/CM
>they build it on top of Ubuntu Touch

No way in hell it'll ever gain traction if they build yet another operating system.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.