[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so I just saw this movie. Not sure if I should go to /biz/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 267x189
Ok so I just saw this movie. Not sure if I should go to /biz/ but how did these guys make money off the recession?

I enjoy watching these types of movies but sometimes I get a little lost, especially when they were explaining the different types of loans or whatever.

I still liked the movie though.
>>
>>53875378
Fuck.
>>
>>53875378

They basically traded the stocks that bet with the banks to stuff that bet against the banks and because no one was thinking the banks would lose money they gained massive returns.
>>
The clue is in the title. Look up what shorting means in finance.
>>
Short selling dude.
I only understood it after playing railroad tycoon 3 so you might want to try that.

For now you can basically think of it as 'I bet that this stock will go down in value'.
You buy the stock with someone else's money, and they pay you if the price goes down. And you pay them if it goes up.
>>
You sell something you don't have (say someone borrows it to you).

Borrow your friends new car. Sell it to someone for 30k. The price of a new car drops in time. Then you buy one for 20k and give back to your friend. You've made $10k.
>>
>>53875374

GTFO OP
>>
>>53875470
>Buy
No.
>>53875496
Correct.

You sell something you don't have and then buy it back at a lower value and keep the difference.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.