[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which platforms should I develop for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: operating-system-logos.jpg (65 KB, 682x511) Image search: [Google]
operating-system-logos.jpg
65 KB, 682x511
So I am in 3rd year and getting ready to graduate. I am in various stages of learning Java, C, C++, C#, Python, HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Lots of languages are clones of each other, so it's going to be easy to learn the top ten languages plus one functional language like F# or Haskell, so I am not concerned about language proficiency.

What I am more concerned about is platform proficiency. I am on Windows 10 with Linux VM's and I have a Windows phone and an Android phone. I'm pretty much shut out of iOS development, which is really high paying, so I will have to buy a Mac if I want to pursue that.

What platforms should I have on my resume when I graduate? I live in a government town (Victoria, BC) so there are .NET government jobs here, but I don't think they give them to new grads. I am going to have to work for a few years before I get that kind of job.

iOS and Android devs make more than .NET devs, but the difference isn't that big in Canada, and I don't see how a mobile dev job will help me get a government job.
>>
>>53875282
I've love to see more Windows universal apps, but I'm not sure if that's sound long term advice.
>>
>>53875282
Android and windows
>>
>>53875975
I would too. The only device that I own that can run them is my PC. My phone doesn't have enough RAM for W10.
>>
>>53876079
What about iOS? It's like half the mobile market in the US and Canada if you include tablets.
>>
>>53875282
Learn what you need and make software for what you want. Like me; I wanted to program MCUs and multiplatform software so I learned assembly, C and C++, but my friend wanted to get a boyfriend so he learned Java.
>>
>>53875282
Develop for Apple platforms and use GNUstep to port to other platforms
>>
C# is the future.
>>
I would say that you should target all three mobile platforms and the web. Xamarin let's you write in C# iirc and you can share the same codebase among the three builds. Obviously you will need a Mac if you want to actually build the iOS app, so I would say buy a Mac Mini or something like that if you're just using it for builds.
>>
iOS is where the money is at. You could just develop on a Mac VM or Hackintosh if you dont want to invest in an overpriced Mac
>>
>>53878563
Does GNUStep actually look good on any platform that isn't NeXT? I keep meaning to try it out. I'm leaning towards just writing platform specific UI code instead of looking for a good cross platform one, they all seem to be bad in one way or the other.
>>
You're not shut out of iOS. Ubuntu has an apple supported port of Swift, and AWS offers a device farm where you can debug code and run UI automation scripts.

Also, Apple ported an iOS emulator to Ubuntu.
>>
As a C# dev Xamarin sounds super cool to me.
>>
>>53880220
>Also, Apple ported an iOS emulator to Ubuntu.

I can't find this anywhere. Link please.
>>
File: 1450558966128.jpg (33 KB, 337x334) Image search: [Google]
1450558966128.jpg
33 KB, 337x334
>not learning java
>not creating android apps

Faggot, I started with java and now I create networking apps, so I had to learn PHP, MySQL, Html and XML.
>>
Gnu/Linux is the only choice because everything else is proprietary software.
>>
>>53878573
>>53880245
Microsoft just leave it to freetards so you are fucked.
Furthermore with its patents on almost anything you could only develop shitty calc apps.
>>
>>53880139
ios devs make barely any more on avg but have high costs for the hardware required if you want to be official about it
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.