[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best ereader?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: Amazon_Voyage.jpg (108 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
Amazon_Voyage.jpg
108 KB, 950x534
What is the best ereader?
>>
>>53866875

>epub, mobi, azw
Kindle Paperwhite (permanently in airplane mode)

>pdf
Android Tablet with good resolution
>>
Kindle

>tolinoshills >>out
>>
OP:

Millenial
e-reader
fag
vape hoarder
anime hoarder
shitty person
>>
>>53866957
Not him, but 4:3 tablets are god tier for reading PDF don't botter with 16:10 unless you "consume" videos
>>
>>53866979
Hey I don't vape you faggot.
>>
>>53866979
>e-reader
>anime hoarder
Does not compute.
Tablets are for anime hoarders.
Laptops are for anime hoarders.
E-readers are for people who prefer actually reading and having a battery that lasts more than your career ever did anon.
>>
>>53866981
Don't bother with tablets if you don't care about your eyesight.
>>
>>53866979
This user has never put his hand on a ebook reader, they're wonderful.

It just does the job of working for weeks and not fucking up your eyes.
+ portability of your whole library w/e you go.
>>
File: kobo-glo.jpg (114 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kobo-glo.jpg
114 KB, 500x500
I have an older non-backlight one and love it
>>
>>53868010
9.7'' 4:3 tablet + 6'' Kindle paperwhite master race
>>
File: 41hCvieRhsL.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
41hCvieRhsL.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
I just bought my girlfriend a kobo aura and she seems to like it, mine is on the way, however I don't know how to keep a shared account with access to all of our books with two separate computers (we live states apart), Anyone got any advice on how to do that? I assume kobo account and maybe a shared Adobe Digital Editions might solve this?
>>
>>53868145
>(we live states apart)
Cuck
>>
>>53868216
This to be honest family
>>
>>53868145
>we live states apart
How do you feel about Jamal and his buddies fucking your gf?
>>
>>53868216
different schools breh
>>
>>53866875
ipad mini
>>
>>53866875
why couldn't you just google this question?
how fucking difficult is it to just go read a couple reviews and make the decision yourself instead of begging the /g/ consumerist sheep hivemind to think for you?
>>
>>53866875
>/g/ is NOT your [...] personal consumer review site.
S T I C K Y
T
I
C
K
Y
>>
File: IMG_20160404_154009288.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160404_154009288.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
JUST
>>
>>53868375
SIT ON MY READER
>>
>>53868145
you both authorize ADE individually with the same account. one account is good for 6 devices, so 2 computers and 2 ereaders.

if you want to be 1337 you could set up a shared calibre library on dropbox and point your calibre installations to it
>>
>>53868375
ham hands too fat?
>>
I have a kindle paperwhite which is ok, but I really miss my kindle keyboard 2nd gen. it was really good stuff
>>
>>53868422
Which would you reccommend? ADE or Calibre for ease of use? Also do you upload ebooks to your ADE account? For example can i buy a book from google play and upload that file to me ADE account to be shared across all my ADE devices?
>>
>>53868084
>>53868084

so much this... bonus points if tablet is HP Touchpad. Recently bought one for $40 and it runs the latest android
>>
I have a Kobo Glo which is shit. Really mad I replaced by Vox (or whatever the fuck that godtier one was) with this. Pages wont change half of the time and when I finally get them to change it jumps five pages.

Annoying as shit.
>>
Possibly whatever Amazon comes up with next week

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/717033781589204992
>>
File: maki.jpg (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
maki.jpg
61 KB, 500x375
>kobo mini
>$20
>4gb storage
>5 inch
>support for DRM-free
>kobo store sells light novels and manga

Almost the perfect device, I just wish it had PDF reflow and a better screen
>>
>>53868692
I almost bought this one, but some reviews said the PPI was too little and that eventually it just stops working. Should I reconsider?
>>
>>53866875
for epub documents and stuff that's just b&w text: kindle paperwhite
for anything with color, or for PDFs and other stuff that doesn't lend itself to a more constrained e-ink reader: iPad Mini

I'm not keen on apple stuff but trying to read a CS paper with multicolor figures on an e-ink reader is godawful, and the best tablet for reading in roughly that size area is the iPad mini. pretending something else is better would just be delusional.
>>
>>53870035
You can get them so cheap that even if you think its shit you don't really lose much.

You can also install what is basically the Rockbox of e-readers onto it if you don't like the stock OS and customize away. It's pretty great.
>>
All these reports of fucked up screens across all ereaders (including the kindles which should be high-end) has left me believing that they're stupidly fragile. Even with a case on it.
How true are these claims?
Anyone own an e-ink reader with normal use for longer that 1.4 years?
>>
Best android app for reading pdf and epub?
>>
>>53870818

Best deal is to get an HP Touchpad and install android on it.

>Tablet can be had for $40-50
>9.7 inch screen
>still gets latest android updates
>>
>>53870601
I literally just throw mine in my sack unprotected with all my other shit including keys and my phone and it always comes out unscathed, I think you're mistaken
>>
>>53870601
I still use my Sony PRS-T3S daily and it's coming up on 2 years now. No problems with the hardware yet.
>>
>>53872903
terrible resolution
>>
>>53868692
>>kobo mini
>>$20
They are $30 used.
>>
>>53872991
I'm reading. The resolution is fine for text.
>>
I use adobe acrobat on my phone, works great
>>
>>53873071
They are like 30$ new on ebay im sure used probably goes much cheaper
>>
>>53868145
I literally just threw out my kobo aura hd. Screen broke really easily
>>
>>53870818
Imo, Moon+ Reader Pro is the only android reading app worth using.
>>
IMHO all e-readers are too slow at turning the fucking pages of ebooks. You also cant read comics with them. Even an ipad mini 1st gen is better than the kindle voyage i tried.
>>
New Kindle models next week if anyone gives a fuck.

Probably just a slightly better screen or something.
>>
I have the latest Kindle Paperwhite. I consider it to be a purchase on the level of my rMBP and fixie. Something I wouldn't ever live without.
>>
>>53873259
never heard of anyone having screen fragility problems before, how did it break?
>>
I just want an e-reader with a ~9" ~720p e-ink screen, expandable memory, and android 4.*
Or fuck it, I'd even compromise with an iOS one.

As long as it's <$300
>>
>>53873622
intense reading for extended periods on an LCD is really fatiguing tho
>>
>>53873622
If you want an e-reader, you don't need that ridiculous of a resolution. It's fucking text.

If you want to read comic books just use an LCD. You probably can't concentrate long enough for fatigue to become an issue anyway.
>>
>>53873650

What about AMOLED with black bg?
>>
>>53866875
Kindle Paperwhite

just never register it and torrent/IRC your eBooks
>>
File: ereaders_3.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
ereaders_3.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I used to use an ereader for reading manga, but I got sick of the anemic firmware freezing on images larger than 4MB.
The firmware also had trouble determining the order of files in my .cbz's and would regularly shuffle chapters around.

Just buy a tablet, the resolution is much better.
A 9 inch display matches the size of a tankobon perfectly, and the the smoothing filters in Perfect Viewer alone makes it worth it.
>>
People who want to read chink cartoons and comics can probably forget about ereaders until higher resolutions/better hardware comes out.

Stop fucking recommending tablets.

Research on blue light and you will understand why e ink is needed to replace books.

Ereaders are the solution to those who want to torrent books without raping their eyes on an LCD.
>>
Kobo aura
>>
Amazon is the only company actually playing the e-reader game, all the others are utterly shit.
>>
>>53880404
kindles are 2slow
>>
>>53880451
You're an autistic person
>>
>>53880465
I'm not, just someone who reads on a tablet with nice processor or dead trees
>>
>>53866979
Grow up, you baiting little shit
>>
>>53879182
ereaders were a fad
the market peaked in 2010 and never recovered

tablets are slowly dying too
>>
I just use my x220t, it does the job just fine.
>>
I have a Kindle Voyage and I am the best person on /g/ so make of that what you will OP.
>>
>>53866875
Sony DPTS1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgvL_9Ph0s
>>
interested in this as well...
I'm thinking of getting one to use for e-books ( mostly medical books), and manga.
What do you recommend?
I was thinking of getting Kobo Aura H2O.
>>
>>53866875
No joke I just finished reading that book.

Sanderson is a based author
>>
>>53882451
>mostly medical books

get ipad or any tablet these shits suck with diagrams.

I hear that Amazon is updating the Voyage next week, I'm excited.
>>
>>53883952
its a small update. You can charge it with sunlight. Nothing more.
>>
>>53883952
>ipad
I have nexus 7, I was thinking of getting e-reader because I won't care much if it break or something.
And I'll mostly use it for medscape.
>>
So Amazon is offering $30 off Kindles for Prime members. Is it worth it to get the Paperwhite for $89?
I already have the Kindle Fire which I use, but I'd like to be able to read outside, and I already stare at enough LCD screens as is.
Plus I'd just torrent all my books anyway, so it'd pretty much pay for itself right away.
>>
>>53884117
if you have a student account you can get 6 months prime free.
>>
>>53884141
I already have the prime membership, I'm just wondering if being able to read outdoors, not having to stare at another LCD screen, and not charge as often would be good enough reasons.
>>
>>53884183
If you read a lot, the not having to charge it as much is reason enough to me. Well that and reading in the dark, it's the way I've read since I was a kid.

The PW is great for me at least but with amazon discounting them all I'm wondering if they're refreshing the entire line. But shit they just updated the PW last year so I doubt that.
>>
>>53873371
Just looked up fixies, very interesting! What advantages do they offer over regular bikes? Isn't the lack of gears limiting?
>>
>>53868010
But you're most likely reading this on a PC/Phone..
>>
>>53884006
iPad has a god tier application for reading pirated books called Marvin. I haven't seen anything that can even compare in Android.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.