[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Folder drama case sensitive folder names
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1444404758974.gif (2 MB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
1444404758974.gif
2 MB, 500x285
Sup /g/

My dad fucked up while trying to move his music library from his mac to our nas home server and now he´s got several folders with the same name only with different cases (for example "The doors" and "the doors")

Since neither Windows nor Mac has case sensitive folder support I´m struggeling to find any solution to get the files back without renaming all the folders manually.
Is there any way to get that shit back without having to use a linux distro?
>>
It shouldn't be too hard to write a batch/powershell script on windows bash script on osx (or use automator) to merge folders with the same names but different cases
>>
>>53865469
nope, the only way is gentoo
>>
/g/ isn't your tech support team.
>>
>>53865511
He can´t even copy those files back since neither finder nor explorer can display the second folder with the same name

>>53865538
I know, but google didn´t help and /g/ seemed like a good bet
>>
>>53865554
The easiest thing would be to log into the NAS and fix it there.
>>
Factory reset
>>
>>53865606
Yeah, but that would be rather time consuming as his music library is massive
>>
>>53865645
is there an alternative to mp3tag.de on linux which can create new folders and move the files there by the tag data?
>>
>>53865645
Write a script to do it for you
>>
naive example of a shell script that does this

for f in *; do
mixedcase_name=$(printf '%s' "$f" | sed 's/.*/\L&/; s/[a-z]*/\u&/g')
mkdir "$mixedcase_name"
mv "$f/"* "$mixedcase_name"
rmdir "$f"
done
>>
>>53865851
thanks
>>
>>53865469
Boot a live linux, easier than learning script shit
>>
>>53865928
emphasis on live, but >>53865851 has already given a script
>>
>>53865469
Mac has case sensitive support.
>>
>>53865957
I'm not sure that script will work on Mac or Windows. It's POSIX though.

Sorry for fucking up the indentation by the way. And I'd change some things around in that script. That's just 2 minutes work. Like if it was me I'd add support for title case (You Know the Case of Titles). There's an awk script that does that.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.