[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This probably gets asked a lot. I'm looking to upgrade,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1454204862079.jpg (47 KB, 525x557) Image search: [Google]
1454204862079.jpg
47 KB, 525x557
This probably gets asked a lot. I'm looking to upgrade, mostly for work reasons, 3d rendering and such.

Should I go with a i7-6700k? I know the dual Xeon 2670s are a good option OR should I wait to see how AMDs Zen turns out?
>>
Might as well wait to see what Zen had to offer unless you need it soon.
>>
>>53857850
I'm going back to school Sept 2017 so I have time, I just wish I could speed up render / simulation times. Stuck here with an i5-2500k... Not ideal for my purposes.
>>
>>53857842
>Xeon 2670

holy shit when did those get so cheap
>>
>>53858265
No idea, their dirt cheap. Finding a motherboard for two of them is the hard part, best price I found was about $340 Canadian.
>>
>waiting for AMD
/g/ seems to do a lot of that
>>
>>53857842
depends.
fuck no on the i7-6700
if you are looking at dual xeon, and that's in budget, its hard to argue against it, especially if you can get it at a great price... a few months back woot had a dual xeon workstation for i think about 500$... thing was pretty good given the price, its obvious it wasn't a bottom shelf budget thing, it was just an old replaced model that they wanted to liquidate.

if you can get a great deal on the dual 2670s go for it, they will likely be better then a single zen overall for multi thread rendering.

that said, benchmarks are out for a engineering sample, at least one of these benches was an april fools thing, i don't know about the rest though, its possible they are all going off the april fools shit, but if they aren't, you see some interesting numbers that are in line with what we assumed a best case scenario is, the benches also showed a deficiency in some areas too, no fucking clue if that was part of the joke to make it seem believable, or if it was a legit benchmark point.

>>53857923
if you are able to wait, wait.
that said, to speed up render times, just make it game engine quality.
when i was doing 3d, that was my goal, i could set a scene up that would take a few hundred hours to render per frame, or i could spend 10-30 seconds rendering the scene and have it slightly better then game engine quality... i chose slightly better as i value time and production over end quality, mostly because i have a finite time on this earth, and no amount of pretty will save a bad animation.

same with animation vs animation, look up mission hill ep 16, i dont need animation, it would be nice, but a solid story will be funny no matter what.
>>
>>53858362
you got a potential monster coming out by years end at least paper launch and eirly 2017 volume at worst, and it scared intel enough that they changed up their Broadwell-e lineup.

this is something that shouldn't be overlooked.
>>
>>53858444
I haven't looked into it much, but if it's anything like the bulldozer hype..
Are they finally moving away from the am3+ socket?
>>
>>53858421
I have heard of people using things like UE4 to "render" their scenes. I'm very comfortable with 3ds max.. If I were to use UE4 wouldn't I have to completely change how all of my rigs are?
>>
I really want to get the Xeons, but in total it would be about $950 to get that up and running. I don't really want to spend almost a thousand dollars on tech that came out in 2011. Sure it's fast but it's not really future proofing.
>>
>>53858582
While i can't confirm the ease of use

I'm certain theres not a whole lot extra you have to do - maybe just conform to UE4 shit but there should be build in tools as Max\Maya are the defactos in the games industry
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.