[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CpU??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 4003370395_e8fb35527f_o.jpg (43 KB, 530x402) Image search: [Google]
4003370395_e8fb35527f_o.jpg
43 KB, 530x402
newfag here. I just started college with a Comp. Engineering major and I need some advice as to which laptop/computer to best suit my needs.
>>
>>>>>>duckduckgo.com
>>
>>53850334
Fair warning note:
Expect lots of
"not mac"
"git thinkpad"
>>
OP here. Forgot to mention i already bought a laptop online. Its a chromebook. Found out the hard way that theyre absolute shit.
>>
>>53850334
You're new? RUUUUUNNN...RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!

THERE IS STILL A CHANCE FOR YOU...MOST HERE DON'T KNOW SHIT...RUUUUUUUUUNNN

SAVE YOUR SELFFFFFF!!!
>>
In the same boat, OP. My request thread went down fast since it had nothing to do with "shill this" or "distro that", really leaves the obvious sour taste I was expecting from this board. Hell, /b/ has even better opinions than here.

Currently looking for a "gaymen" laptop since those tend to have a high process threading optimizer, graphics unit, decent ram and not btfo "GET 64GB BRUV" nonsense. Will mostly be doing dual VM and live coding.

Currently looking at the in-between $1000-2000 price range options on newegg, hopefully not going over 1700-1800. What has your search yielded for you? What requirements would you hope to have? High graphical output? Superthreading? Overcharging or overclocking? Hopefully you at least know these terms.
>>
>>53851887
Don't expect sensible replies with 'gaming laptop' anywhere within your post.

>>53850334
Macbooks are still very decent.
>>
>>53851887
The whole reason these threads fail is because the requester is too lazy to look up this shit themselves. If you lurked here for more than a day you would know that. literally every piece of information related to your request can be pulled to one webpage with a search engine. If it is so important you can read for a few minutes.

There is your honest reply.

If you had listened and installed Gentoo you would know exactly what laptop you need.
>>
>>53851955
It's not wrong to peer review. I'm simply mentioning what I say as a frame of reference that can be improved upon by others with either similar experience of searching or those who happen to have a decent computer that I could look into getting myself, given that it is decent enough.

There's so much shit out there now when I need to just find a reputable laptop that can perform well. My head has been buried in the newer stuff that they tack on with tricky marketing and comparisons that practically make it a burden.

So far I've found out
>MSI is a great laptop to order, given there isn't a dead pixel that needs to be returned, they have shitty customer service apparently from the looks of half the reviews I've read

>ASUS seems to have its shit straight but most likely isn't as good as it once was 3-5 years ago

>Alienware got bought out by DELL so I'm too skeptical about that shit from personal experience, dealing with their fucktarded support numerous occasions

>Lenovo
>oh boy where do I fucking start with this and the board obsession with IBM's slayer

>GIGABYTE would be my certified bet if I could find a decent selection that has the M.2 SSD, an IPS display, decent sound system, a graphics card that won't be shit in the next 5 years (I'd like to have this laptop for as long as I've had my old one back when Win7 came out)

From all that I mentioned, I might as well build my own. But my experience lies with building PC's.
>>
>>53851887
Why do you idiots think you need a high end computer for your fucking bachelor's degree?

Just get whatever OP; I got two thinkpads for free that I use, t400 and x41
>>
Lenovo G50 with the A8 APU, only $269 on newegg + $20 4GB laptop RAM stick
/thread

Also please don't make these shitty threads here, they belong on /wsr/
>>
>>53852728
this
>>
Get a thinkpad pajeet :^)
>>
>>53853874
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53853964
>that's how bad 4chan trolls shitpost today.
>>
This is not consumer tech board, read sticky and buy fujitsu or thinkpad
>>
>>53852640
>msi
Is pure terrible, build quality is shit
>>
>>53854327
It must be from all the research conducted with NE. Seriously, a soldered motherboard leaving no room for expansion/upgrades? Read plenty of reviews to hold my tongue on announcing a purchase. So now it's either ASUS, GIGABYTE, or dare I even invest more time into looking at Alienware since their prostitution to DELL...

Is Cyberpower as considerable these days?
>>
>>53854566
Dont roll with dell, its not what you need. Anything power intensive will be done on lab pcs. A 5 youar old laptop is all you need honestly
>>
>>53854602
My experience with them in the past also yields any consideration towards them to become null. Thanks, customer service!

Currently down to ASUS and GIG. Don't worry shills, I might consider le novo chinkpad
>>
File: 6117fOIRioL._SL1333_.jpg (107 KB, 1333x1002) Image search: [Google]
6117fOIRioL._SL1333_.jpg
107 KB, 1333x1002
>>53851887
>>53850334
same boat here too...
here are some models i have been looking at
(descending order)
G9-591-74KN
G9-591-70XR
G9-591-70VM
VN7-592G-77LB
lastly Lenovo Ideapad Y700
>my friend has vn7 model with gtx 860. he codes, adobe after effect, gaymes.
>>
>>53855488
I came across the Predator in my earlier shopping, strikes my interest pretty well. What do you think of it?

Current models still trying to decide that at least include a 1TB HDD+256GB SDD
GIGABYTE P35Xv3-CF7
ASUS ROG G752VT-DH74
Cyberpower Fangblade 4 SK-X17
And if it has to come down to it
Lenovo IdeaPad Y700
>>
>>53850334
Whatever laptop that has a good screen (IPS, actually good IPS, not e-IPS garbage).

Laptops that are premium enough to have good screens usually have everything else you should be looking for in a laptop (good thermal, good battery, good build quality, etc.).
>>
>>53855738
>GIGABYTE P35Xv3-CF7
>picreleted
its actually the first one on my list(v5) tnen comes >>53855488
it great to maintain, mine has 4hdd slots which also a plus
>Cyberpower Fangblade 4 SK-X17
checkin it out now.
>asus... not a fan anymore
lastly lenovo y700. hate the glossy screen
>>
File: wat.jpg (107 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
107 KB, 1024x768
forgot pic
>>
>>53850334
dell e6440
dell e7450
thinkpad x240
thinkpad t440
macbook air 13
macbook pro 13
hp zbooks
hp elitebooks

cant go wrong with business hardware. Get something with a nice keyboard, good display, good battery life, lightweight, and shit performance. Use linuxbrew or otherwise if you want to install stuff on the lab machines. Go to the lab and use their computers for vhl stuff.
>>
>>53855966
GIG and MSI are amazing still. I remember them from way back in the day in the early 90's, and they were very popular in the 80's. Friend has built with GIG for a long time.

>dat display
>dat dedicated VRAM output

Cyberpower is one of my choices for a flashy but powerful beast machine, not really applicable if you're looking for something that will perform tasks with simplicity. I recommend sticking to GIG or checking Lenovo, although there are a few considerations I'm in final stages of weighing out.
>>
>>53850334
I have a 9 year old laptop with a Pentium T2330 and 2GiB RAM. I have it running gentoo, but you could just as easily optimize another distro to work with an old ass laptop. Sometimes it's a little slower running huge programs, but it's doable so long as you don't be a retard and write shit code.
tl;dr,
you could probably do it with a laptop your aunt is throwing out, don't be a pussy
>>
>>53856122
the factor i usually take to consideration..
battery life - 6+ hours tested by1080p <i think> movie running on loop
screen size - not more the 15.3 inches
ram - aleast 16gb
Video Card - obviously the latest but 960 minimum
weight - dont care, i lift
>bebackafterclass
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.