[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a C/embedded guy with a bachelor's degree in Computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: cash-reserves1.jpg (327 KB, 930x500) Image search: [Google]
cash-reserves1.jpg
327 KB, 930x500
I'm a C/embedded guy with a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, 2.5 years of relevant experience and several patches on mainstream FOSS projects such as the GNU toolchain. I make about $12k a year.

What am I doing wrong with my life? And no, before you ask I don't live in India, though my country is pretty shitty too.
>>
Move to another country?

At least you aren't a NEET like me.
>>
>$12k/yr
I don't know what country you're from but that's less than working at a McDonalds.
>>
>FOSS
there's your problem
>>
>>53838621
>he fell for the computer engineering meme

highest lel
>>
>>53838635
I wish I could, truly, but my parents live here and it would destroy them if I moved away.

>>53838653
Yeah, I guess it is. I have a job opportunity for working on Windows drivers floating around, probably for quite a bit more cash, but it just doesn't do it for me. Call me a retard if you want, but it's not so much related to MUH FREEDUMZ as it's to working on Unix-related things.

>>53838657
Most of the guys in my office are CS people, and I have the highest respect for them because they deserve it. But I can't help but chuckle when they don't know what an interrupt is.
>>
>>53838641
I'd work at McDonald's, but I'm a hopeless cook. My girlfriend usually runs things in the kitchen at home.
>>
Mexico right?

Either move out or start a company. Same situation right here.
>>
>>53838722
Cerca, pero no :)

Starting a company here is hell. And I can't move out, at least while my folks are still alive. Taking them with me isn't an option either.

What bothers me the most is that despite me being relatively good at what I do, I can't give my SO the life she deserves. And by God, she does deserve more than this.

I'm sorry, I just need to vent for a while. Hope it doesn't bother anyone.
>>
File: 1459516384122.png (905 KB, 810x592) Image search: [Google]
1459516384122.png
905 KB, 810x592
>>53838767
>tfw sueldos tercermundistas
>>
>>53838701
work at apple
>>
>>53838767
>20XX AD
>3DPD
>>
i live in brazil (hue). competent people working in it/r&d/etc get shagged while incompetent fucks who graduate law school become judges or occupy similar positions, often by being appointed by politicians, and earn 20x as much. any 3rd world country is just bound to be fucked up because of the oligarchies in power improperly using the economy to sustain themselves and their offspring while ignoring the demands of the masses and destroying any signs of meritocracy

the only solution is to move to a better country or to become a part of the problem
>>
>>53838621
I'm a literal college dropout doing an internship in C/embedded, and I'm making more than you. Moving to a better country would probably bump up your pay, but it would also bump up your living expenses too. Worth considering though.

What's helped me advance even while looking like shit on paper is practicing explaining advanced technical concepts in simple terms that my audience can understand. For example:

In situations like this:
>>53838701
>But I can't help but chuckle when they don't know what an interrupt is.

Try to approach this kind of thing as a challenge to see how quickly you can bring them up to speed on the topic. In my experience it's helped lead people to the conclusion that I'm smarter and more competent than I am, and it's also helped me land several lucrative side gigs. People who hire freelancers are much more trusting if they have an idea of what you're doing.
>>
>>53838657
this is the worst meme I've ever seen on this god forsaken board

>>53838621
>What am I doing wrong with my life?
That's a good question. Is that typical for what a developer makes in your country because that's shit, like super shit, like actually illegal to pay humans that little in america level shit.

Move somewhere that actually pays developers maybe?
>>
Can you look for a position with the large auto manufacturers with operations in mexico?
>>
>>53838891
Well, I guess Brazil is not an option. You guys have some serious metal festivals btw.

>>53838899
Believe it or not, I did. And still do. Most of our project is about relatively low-level stuff, and it's my job (and the EEs') to bring the CS guys up to speed. The good thing is that they're smart as hell, and quickly catch up with everything we throw at them.

>>53838902
Tell me about it. My girlfriend used to work as a cashier, you wouldn't believe how little she made. At the end she had to quit because her salary was literally gone within the hour she got paid. Not worth it.

>>53838918
I'm not Mexican. But yeah, I'll probably look that kind of industry (not that there's much of it anyway).
>>
>>53838701
>my parents live here and it would destroy them if I moved away
Its your choice. Your job or your parents. No one is gonna come along and give you the best of both worlds.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.