[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has a better case ever been made? Dat airflow Dem Hot Swap bays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: HAF XB EVO.jpg (370 KB, 1500x1202) Image search: [Google]
HAF XB EVO.jpg
370 KB, 1500x1202
Has a better case ever been made?

Dat airflow
Dem Hot Swap bays
Dat form factor

or is there an alternative case I should be looking at for around $100? It gets hot here so I really want a case with nice cooling.
>>
>>53835246
>>Dem Hot Swap bays
I really dont understand the point of these on a consumer/gaymer case. You really can't reboot to replace a failed drive? Nobody's putting a high-availability server in this case. There's only two of them, so all you could do with it is RAID 1 anyway.
>>
>>53835361
It just saves me the hassle of breaking out my USB adapter when I'm working on someone's PC or when I want to back up some data to a bare external drive
>>
I have an Antec one. It's okay, but not great. I've been thinking of making my computer an HTPC kind of thing. Would this case be better for that sort of stuff?

I have 3 or 4 hard drives (and an SSD or two) as well. Would I be all right there? Could I add more if I got this case?
>>
>>53835519
The EVO supports up to 4 3.5" drives, and you could just get adapters for the 5 1/2 inch bays

this one's just a bit nicer than the metal brackets you can get for cheaper, or they probably make drive cages you can just slot in

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994163&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Hard+Drive-_-N82E16817994163&gclid=CLjRu-qz8csCFYiVfgodtWIDpA&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1071892&gclid=CPH7yfGz8csCFUVsfgodWaUM5w&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&is=REG&A=details

But really for an HTPC you should just buy like a silencio 352, small and built for silence.
>>
>>53835246
>80mm fans
Dropped.
>>
>>53835675
That's only for the bottom section, what other size fans could you even fit down there?
>>
>>53835717
None, because the case is designed with that compromise, one I'm not willing to make.

But while we're on the subject, other problems:

>massive footprint
Good luck finding desk space.
>front IO barely off the ground
>open top
Looks like putting it on the floor isn't an option either, the ports are unreachable and a spilled drink can kill it easily.
>small fans all over it, next to open panels
Fucking noisy.

I can't think of a single advantage it has over similar displacement ATX cases. It's shit.
>>
>>53835361
>I really dont understand the point of these on a consumer/gaymer case.

To put a drive in to test it? I've used the bays in the 800d countless times. Have a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter I've used to test numerous laptop drives. Its incredibly convenient. I would not buy another case without a hot swap bay.
>>
>>53835853
It's an ATX case with a cube form factor, it could be better in some places but overall it's a pretty solid design, it'll fit a large PC in a lot of places where a normal large tower wouldn't fit, like on the shelf below a desk where I'm probably putting mine.
>>
File: QCE12U_RPCS[1].jpg (56 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
QCE12U_RPCS[1].jpg
56 KB, 576x576
It's like you people don't even compute.

https://www.blackbox.com/Store/us/Detail.aspx/Elite-QuietCab-12U-28-2-H-x-30-7-W-x-47-64-D/QCE12U
>>
Corsair Air 540
>>
>>53837763
Looks like a general case, not something you'd put a motherboard in.
>>
>>53835246
node
>>
>>53835581
I'm not sure whether I need a case that emphasizes silence that much. the Antec One+my components together make for a pretty damn quiet computer (I run it 24/7 and I think my fridge in my studio apartment makes more noise at night, which is not much).

I mean it looks great (it certainly has lots of hard drive bays), so I might go with it anyway, but the square box kind of form factor of the HAF looks appealing. maybe i'd be more concerned if it leaked a lot more noise than the antec one.
>>
>>53838349

Yes. It's a 12U rack but insulated for sound.
>>
>>53835246
This case is really godawfully ugly. I don't understand what people see in it.
>>
>>53839179
it's boxy. that's kind of unique and interesting.
>>
File: sg13b-34right-top.jpg (77 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
sg13b-34right-top.jpg
77 KB, 560x560
>>
File: gts collage.jpg (995 KB, 4211x2104) Image search: [Google]
gts collage.jpg
995 KB, 4211x2104
I love mine.
>>
Guys I invested lots of money in a gaming PC only to play GTA V and World of Warcraft over the course of approx 2 years... never again going to fall for gaming pc meme - 99% of my gaming life/experience was on consoles with 80% of it on handheld.

I wouldn't want any gaming related stuff on my future desktop so I'm wondering for basic programming ( still a noob ), minimal video editing / fun projects, and ability to run OCR software, office and so on - would I need anything more than an Mini PC? Those are so small that I can basically glue it to the back of my screen... or would it be wiser to make my own build with an mini-ITX case and use a processor such as i7 6700 - or maybe something even lower since the processor is overkill... but the main this is it having integrated HD 530 which is very powerful even for video editing.

In both cases I'll have added portability, in first case being able to carry my computer in pocket.

And with both cases I'm paying very little compared to a gaming build.
>>
>>53839094
Heh. Pretty cool.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.